Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What if we split the Codex into two sites: RPG Codex + Political Codex?

What do you think about splitting the politics out to a separate stand-alone website + forums?

• THIS SOUNDS LIKE A GREAT IDEA

Votes: 137 37.8%
  • Over my dead body

Votes: 133 36.7%
  • kingcomrade

Votes: 92 25.4%

• Total voters

Kruno

Arcane
Patron
Village Idiot Zionist Agent Shitposter
All my posts are in RPG forums.

Zibniyat

Arcane
Are you the pot or the kettle?

1xB8YyV.png

This forum has existed for some 2 decades, and whilst people who have posted primarily or exclusively in Pol/GD part were always somewhat ridiculed or shunned, it is only now that, for some mysterious reason (no, it is probably not Infinitron, leave the Jew alone), that is seen as "problematic" (as modern leftist journalists would say).

Now, I have some 50% of my posts in Politics alone, but that translates to around 2500 posts over the period of some 7 years, which is less than 365 posts per year, that is - less than a single post per day. That is not called "only discussing politics", it is called "occasionally leaving a comment about politics". Of course, there are worse posters out there, but also many more who are better, but the point is that the post distribution is really misleading.

Moreover, in my example, I simply don't play games as much. I finish up to 5 games a year tops, and frankly am never invested that much in order to discuss them at length. Meanwhile, Skyrim and other garbage games can have megathreads which according to idea behind this thread is a far more preferable thing to having political-oriented discussion, which is frankly absurd. And, at the end, many of the threads in Politics and GD have offered a lot of entertainment and amusement, even from outright crazy posters, I'd argue that the amount of entertainment that I have extracted from some of discussions there is greater than from many of the games I've played.

Of course this should be a gaming forum first, but why force anyone to post or not post about something? Moderation is there to remove posts deemed unnecessary or "problematic" and to keep discussions in gaming threads focused and productive. Those bothered by Politics are free to ignore it. And the political forum is overrated. There are maybe 50 regular posters in Politics which post more than those 1 post per day like I do, who could be said to keep that part of the forum alive, and they are from all over the world. This site can be hardly said to be a breeding ground of extremists, we are too much a disparate group for that. If 50 posters fr all over the world is too much for a forum... then any topic or member can be seen as "problematic" and this idea of splitting would simply be the beginning of something much worse.

Repressed Homosexual
Are you the pot or the kettle?

1xB8YyV.png

This forum has existed for some 2 decades, and whilst people who have posted primarily or exclusively in Pol/GD part were always somewhat ridiculed or shunned, it is only now that, for some mysterious reason (no, it is probably not Infinitron, leave the Jew alone), that is seen as "problematic" (as modern leftist journalists would say).

Now, I have some 50% of my posts in Politics alone, but that translates to around 2500 posts over the period of some 7 years, which is less than 365 posts per year, that is - less than a single post per day. That is not called "only discussing politics", it is called "occasionally leaving a comment about politics". Of course, there are worse posters out there, but also many more who are better, but the point is that the post distribution is really misleading.

Moreover, in my example, I simply don't play games as much. I finish up to 5 games a year tops, and frankly am never invested that much in order to discuss them at length. Meanwhile, Skyrim and other garbage games can have megathreads which according to idea behind this thread is a far more preferable thing to having political-oriented discussion, which is frankly absurd. And, at the end, many of the threads in Politics and GD have offered a lot of entertainment and amusement, even from outright crazy posters, I'd argue that the amount of entertainment that I have extracted from some of discussions there is greater than from many of the games I've played.

Of course this should be a gaming forum first, but why force anyone to post or not post about something? Moderation is there to remove posts deemed unnecessary or "problematic" and to keep discussions in gaming threads focused and productive. Those bothered by Politics are free to ignore it. And the political forum is overrated. There are maybe 50 regular posters in Politics which post more than those 1 post per day like I do, who could be said to keep that part of the forum alive, and they are from all over the world. This site can be hardly said to be a breeding ground of extremists, we are too much a disparate group for that. If 50 posters fr all over the world is too much for a forum... then any topic or member can be seen as "problematic" and this idea of splitting would simply be the beginning of something much worse.

I mean it's just pathetic. You're 38 years old, you're married with kids, and these people act like you're a loser for not playing and discussing 25 games a year. You literally can't make this shit up. I don't give a shit about post ratios.

Maybe realize that if you're still arguing against Bethesda all day at 40 years old, you're the loser? At the end of the day, how much Bethesda games have declined really doesn't matter all that much in comparison to things like the rise of China, or what happens after death.

Last edited:

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Raveilsk said:
The sad part is that this is not only wrong for obvious reasons but also because it historically never actually worked. Not for forums, not for image boards, not for news websites.
Oneangrygamer.net was infamous for its "edgy"(read 2005 libertarian) content yet while it was this edgefest of a site it had massive success and plenty of traffic each day, with sometime hundreds of comments under the more popular articles. Then it was sold off and despite a complete re-brand nobody cares. The site is effectively dead with comment sections gone and basically 0 traffic.
Similar thing occurred with Neogaf where despite all the concessions made the site was hard booted of the net after the owner was accused of sexual misconduct(accused proved to have committed, keep that in mind). The only reason why the site did not disapear into the memory hole is because the management momentarily understood that getting good boy points from journos might warm their hearts but it leaves their sites empty and balance at 0.
Same thing actually happened with 8kun.top. Where the moderation got the bright idea to first kick out the GG crowd because "they were shitting up every thread" but then also pushed out anything to do with politics to promote its custom brew "news" board and as a finishing blow even managed to chase out the l*li degenerates. That place is currently a ghost town with the most active boards being a Qanon larp board and hypno-sissification board. Also no one bothered to exonerate it for all its valiant effort in any way shape or form and its to this day considered and unclean site.

This. 100%.

Repressed Homosexual
I mean it's just pathetic. You're 38 years old, you're married with kids, and these people act like you're a loser for not playing and discussing 25 games a year.
So, once you're 38 years old and married with kids, you should stop playing and discussing videogames and start to obsess pathologically about homosexuality? Got it.

Are you fucking kidding me? Because people didn't "obsess about it" starting 40 years ago to instead "live and let live" for 40 years straight without doing ANYTHING, THIS is where we are today:

drag_queen_story_hour_protest.jpg

Desmond-is-Amazing.jpg

gaykiev03.jpg

Last edited:

Kruno

Arcane
Patron
Village Idiot Zionist Agent Shitposter
I mean it's just pathetic. You're 38 years old, you're married with kids, and these people act like you're a loser for not playing and discussing 25 games a year.
So, once you're 38 years old and married with kids, you should stop playing and discussing videogames and start to obsess pathologically about homosexuality? Got it.

Are you fucking kidding me? Because people didn't "obsess about it" starting 40 years ago to instead "live and let live" for 40 years straight without doing ANYTHING, THIS is where we are today:

Desmond-is-Amazing.jpg

gaykiev03.jpg

Stop posting your gay fetish shit. Go to a gay forum or something. RPG Codex isn't a gay fetish site.

fork

Desmond-is-Amazing.jpg

gaykiev03.jpg

Stop posting your gay fetish shit. Go to a gay forum or something. RPG Codex isn't a gay fetish site.

It's not?
Well, I'm sure it soon enough will be.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
One thing I will say that I think has been missing from the conversation, is whether or not there's a desire / need for a political focused site with Codex rules in today's political climate.

There are few outlets in existence that allow open forums and discussions on political issues. Those that I'm aware of are usually video focused, with limited conversation options (no forums, only commenting on posted video content).

Others are so far left wing that even suggesting the Floyd case might get a not guilty verdict will get you banned for being a terrorist.

Such a forum would have news posts about politics. And allow people to discuss things without waiting 12 months as you do here.

I'd imagine in that case, that political discussion regarding games (oh no this game went woke) would still happen on the Codex. In the context of the game being discussed. But if you wanted to talk about the failing state of Swedenistan, or the second American Civil War, the Poldex would be the place to go.

Hot topics or issues like the Floyd trial could end up with their own forums dedicated to them, to avoid having one mega thread of x 1,000 posts to wade through.

Such a forum would gather attention and potentially have the chance to be larger than the Codex itself. With the Codex continuing to focus on the niche that is RPG games.

Self-Ejected

Alphard

Self-Ejected
One thing I will say that I think has been missing from the conversation, is whether or not there's a desire / need for a political focused site with Codex rules in today's political climate.

There are few outlets in existence that allow open forums and discussions on political issues. Those that I'm aware of are usually video focused, with limited conversation options (no forums, only commenting on posted video content).

Others are so far left wing that even suggesting the Floyd case might get a not guilty verdict will get you banned for being a terrorist.

Such a forum would have news posts about politics. And allow people to discuss things without waiting 12 months as you do here.

I'd imagine in that case, that political discussion regarding games (oh no this game went woke) would still happen on the Codex. In the context of the game being discussed. But if you wanted to talk about the failing state of Swedenistan, or the second American Civil War, the Poldex would be the place to go.

Hot topics or issues like the Floyd trial could end up with their own forums dedicated to them, to avoid having one mega thread of x 1,000 posts to wade through.

Such a forum would gather attention and potentially have the chance to be larger than the Codex itself. With the Codex continuing to focus on the niche that is RPG games.
that one forum wouldnt last 1 week without being deplatformed/shutted down. We are surviving only thanks to the fact the userbase is not to big and the fact GD /politics doesn't show up in google. Making such a forum accessible by all on the clear net would be suicide

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

that one forum wouldnt last 1 week without being deplatformed/shutted down. We are surviving only thanks to the fact the userbase is not to big and the fact GD /politics doesn't show up in google. Making such a forum accessible by all on the clear net would be suicide

and likely suicide for the codex as well.

I'd rather see GD completely obliterated than shifted to a new site. At least we'd still be able to talk games.

If they make a poldex, both the poldex and the codex will burn.

J1M

Arcane
Aren't like 80% of the politics posts in that data due to Trump's presidency? Seems like the chance to do this was 2-3 years ago.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom