Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Any other modern turn based like D:OS?

Mazisky

Magister
I think DoS 2 is garbage as a whole, but I really like its turn based combat.

Is there any other Rpg or even strategy game which has similar combat?

It must be Modern and Fantasy, so no Xcom and no old games (which already love and played them all)

Also, Realms Beyond :negative:

Doktor Best

Arcane
Do you want us to recommend turnbased games or do you want turnbased games in this specific style? (strong focus on status effects/area effects with combo mechanics)

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
"no old games" takes out most TB masterpieces such as :
  • Temple of elemental Evil - The most faithful D&D adaptation ever
  • Dark Sun : Shattered Lands + Wake of the Ravager
  • Knights of the Chalice 1
  • All Gold Box
But for modern games which can be played in TB, I would recommend :
  • Solasta -> The best low level D&D game that I've played.
  • Pathfinder Kingmaker -> Turn based is optional
  • Knights of the Chalice 2
All extremely better than DOS2.

Mazisky

Magister
Do you want us to recommend turnbased games or do you want turnbased games in this specific style? (strong focus on status effects/area effects with combo mechanics)

Anything turn based and modern, examples are Xcom 2, Dos, Stoneshard, Pathfinder, etc. but it must be fantasy.

Mazisky

Magister
"no old games" takes out most TB masterpieces such as :
  • Temple of elemental Evil - The most faithful D&D adaptation ever
  • Dark Sun : Shattered Lands + Wake of the Ravager
  • Knights of the Chalice 1
  • All Gold Box
But for modern games which can be played in TB, I would recommend :
  • Solasta -> The best low level D&D game that I've played.
  • Pathfinder Kingmaker -> Turn based is optional
  • Knights of the Chalice 2
All extremely better than DOS2.

Knight of Chalice 1 or 2, which is better? Also, is 2 token\topdown only? I swear I've seen footage with sprites like 1 but I am not so sure now.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
but it must be fantasy.

Can be "sci fi"? I mean, if you think a little, a implant which allow you to create a thermosphere is not that different than a scroll/tome who teaches you how to cast fireball, a "sci fi" pistol that fires a disintegrating beam is not that different than a scroll of disintegrate, a combat droid is not that different than a golem and so on. That said, did you checked UnderRail? It is not "fantasy", but has psionics and mutant animals which cast psionics. Also has naval combat on jets on the expansion.

Knight of Chalice 1 or 2, which is better?

KotC2, I never played, so IDK.I wish that I could have played it but i can't since Pierre hates money and don't put the game on gog/steam,

UR and KoTC. Both games aren't expensive and I believe that worth a try. Solasta too. IMO is extremely better than BG3.

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I've always thought this game looks pretty cool but I skipped it because it seems extremely linear to me, like an adventure game, am I right?
It is linear. A top-notch linear tactical RPG.
Personally, I would take a linear game with hand-crafted thought-out challenging encounters over any nonlinear procedurally generated shit.

Mazisky

Magister
I've always thought this game looks pretty cool but I skipped it because it seems extremely linear to me, like an adventure game, am I right?
It is linear. A top-notch linear tactical RPG.
Personally, I would take a linear game with hand-crafted thought-out challenging encounters over any nonlinear procedurally generated shit.

I may take a look into it but holy such a high price...i guess that's cause production values because art and graphics are great.

V_K

Arcane
Voidspire Tactics. Has similar environmental interactions system, but a much better game overall. Just don't let the NES-style graphics fool you - it's not a JRPG but an open-world RPG with minimal story and full party creation.
It's sequels Alvora Tactics and Horizon's Gate are very good too, but they're more hybrids than pure RPGs - the former, with roguelikes; the latter, with naval strategies.

Miner 2049er

Scholar
I'd like to add Mordheim: City of the Damned. It's from 2015. It's a nerve-wracking turn-based combat feast. The best tip I can give is, take the Skaven clan for the first playthrough and name them after the rat pack. Sammy, Frankie...and watch them become permanently gimped. Limb by limb. Blind and one armed archers ? One legged scouts ? If that doesn't translate to mindless fun, I don't know either.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Troubleshooter: Abondoned Children (Seriously don't miss this one, its full weebo and has a slow start but a great tactical RPG)
Battle Brothers
Underrail
Dungeon Rats
Solasta (it's release is near)
Dungeons of Naheulbeuk
Blackguards 1

Atlet

Arcane
Vatnik
Pathfinder Kingmaker with turn based mode is the best thing you can get.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom