Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

SaGa Series Discussion

Sarkile

Magister
Patron
I hope Saga Frontier 2 also gets a remaster treatment.
As long as they only upscale the graphics, and don't give the sprites the mobile treatment like they have this one. The art style is already so beautiful that they shouldn't give it the derp filter.

kaisergeddon

Liturgist
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
I didn't associate the two before, but the vaporwave aesthetic for those trailers is strangely suiting. Saga Frontier has those pastel color schemes, 90s CGIs, and relaxed futurist ambiance that may actually attract the same disaffected youth on the internet that the vaporwave style does. Pretty smart marketing from SE in any case. Already got my copy because I grew up with the game, but here's hoping it finds a new audience so Kawazu can give us more.

Duraframe300

Arcane
I hope Saga Frontier 2 also gets a remaster treatment.
As long as they only upscale the graphics, and don't give the sprites the mobile treatment like they have this one. The art style is already so beautiful that they shouldn't give it the derp filter.

I mean isn't it?

I've now looked at the footage multiple times and compared it to the original. And... I just can't see what people are talking about here. It just looks like an upscaled Saga Frontier. I've even tested multiple filters on emulator and it looks nothing like what happens if you apply a run of the mill dumb filter to it (significantly less artifacts in the footage).

Is it confirmed to use a dumb filter like for example the Grandia remaster (which looks a lot worse) or is that just an assumption?

Sarkile

Magister
Patron
Grabbed Saga Frontier Remastered... Is there an optimal order to pick the characters or just go with what you fancy?
I'm still getting back into this game, but I think Red or Emelia might be solid starts since their stories are a bit more straightforward and linear.

I've now looked at the footage multiple times and compared it to the original. And... I just can't see what people are talking about here. It just looks like an upscaled Saga Frontier. I've even tested multiple filters on emulator and it looks nothing like what happens if you apply a run of the mill dumb filter to it (significantly less artifacts in the footage).

Is it confirmed to use a dumb filter like for example the Grandia remaster (which looks a lot worse) or is that just an assumption?
The game uses new sprites for all the characters which look kind of off and clashes with aspects of the game. This is similar to what SE did for their FF mobile ports, IMO.

Duraframe300

Arcane
Grabbed Saga Frontier Remastered... Is there an optimal order to pick the characters or just go with what you fancy?
I'm still getting back into this game, but I think Red or Emelia might be solid starts since their stories are a bit more straightforward and linear.

The game uses new sprites for all the characters which look kind of off and clashes with aspects of the game. This is similar to what SE did for their FF mobile ports, IMO.

I mean yes, they are redrawn, but its still mostlythe same artstyle, it still looks like upscaled versions of the original sprites. Nowhere near the half-assed changes they did for FF. It's to the point where I would need a 1:1 comparison to really affect nostalgia.

YMMV of course.

Maybe I'm not as bothered by it as I was originally by the FF sprites because that no-mouth look was already in the original in Frontier's case.

SaGa%20Frontier%20Title%20Screen.png

SaGa-Frontier-Remastered-April-2021-Nintendo-Switch-PS4-iOS-PC-Android-Square-Enix.jpg

For example biggest difference here is Emelia's face. And I'm not sure I don't prefer the new version tbh considering the big googly anime eyes got removed.

Terra

Cipher
New?

https://screenrant.com/square-enix-new-game-saga-remaster-other-titles/
Square Enix has confirmed that more SaGa games will be remastered in the future, including Romancing SaGa, SaGa Frontier 2, and Unlimited SaGa.

The resurgence of the SaGa is continuing beyond the newly-released SaGa Frontier Remastered, as Square Enix has confirmed that more SaGa remasters are on the way. The SaGa series has an odd history, especially outside of Japan, where the first three games were localized as Final Fantasy titles.

The first three SaGa games were released on the Game Boy as the Final Fantasy Legend trilogy outside of Japan. They were followed by the three Romancing Saga games, which were Japan-exclusive RPGs for the SNES. The next games in the series were the Saga Frontier titles for the original PlayStation, and these were released outside of Japan. These were followed by Unlimited SaGa, a remake of the first game called Minstrel's Song, Emperors SaGa, Imperial SaGa, and SaGa: Scarlet Grace. The series has had a surge of popularity in Japan, thanks to the success of the Romancing SaGa Re;univerSe mobile game, leading to many of the older titles being remastered for modern systems. The most recent of these is SaGa Frontier Remastered, which is now available on most modern platforms.

Square Enix held a livestream to celebrate the launch of SaGa Frontier Remastered. According to Famitsu, SaGa series creator Akitoshi Kawazu confirmed that more remasters were on the way, along with a new game in the series. Kawazu specifically named the original Romancing SaGa, SaGa Frontier 2, and Unlimited SaGa as games that will be remastered, although he didn't give any time frame for their release, nor did he mention any platforms that they would be released on.

The original Romancing SaGa has already been remade on the PS2, but it seems like it's the Super Famicom version that is being remastered. Romancing SaGa follows the story of eight different characters as they try to stop the evil god Saruin from being released from imprisonment. Romancing SaGa 2 and Romancing SaGa 3 have already been remastered for modern systems. SaGa Frontier 2 is one of the most traditional JRPGs in the series, as it follows two different characters in a medieval setting. The most memorable aspect of SaGa Frontier 2 was its beautiful watercolor artwork, which was created long before Bravely Default used the same style. Unlimited SaGa is one of the least popular entries in the series, due to its poorly explained gameplay style, which was heavily experimental for the time.

It's nice to see Square Enix remastering its old catalog, especially when it involves bringing Japan-exclusive games to the West for the first time. There are rumors that games like Live A Live are being remastered as well, which means that it's a great time to be an old-school Square Enix fan.

Shame it's not the PS2 iteration of RS getting a remaster tbh.

Jinn

Arcane

Generally considered that Blue is saved for last, for...reasons. Everything else is fair game.

As for how I'm liking the remaster - I like it! Of course it had to drop right in the middle of a long playthrough of another game I'm doing at the moment, but I decided that I'll be giving it some time anyways since I'm always excited for SaGa. Got about an hour and a half into it right now. The upscaled environments look great, as do the upscaled enemy sprites. I wish they had just done the same for the character sprites, and really don't quite understand why they didn't, but overall the re-draws aren't too bad at all. They just kind of stick out in a weird way. UI and font are aesthetically garbage and just fine functionally, but no surprise there.

Absolutely worth my money to support not only the game coming out on PC, but also getting in the hands of new players, and of course it's my duty to support any SaGa game that isn't gacha mobile shit, because SaGa is one of the finest RPG series to ever come out of Japan.

NerevarineKing

Learned
I finished Blue's scenario in the remaster. They basically just made one of favorite PS1 games better and I'm loving it so far. I agree with the UI being functionally better, it's such an improvement to have more accessible information about the game. I wasn't sure how I felt about the sprites at first, but I've grown to appreciate that you can actually see more detail in a lot of sprites. It's faithful enough to the original style and I don't really consider it a downgrade. Also, there's so many QOL features added in this version, but the game will still kick your ass if you're not prepared.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
I'm just hoping that with all this goodwill and interest a NEW SaGa game rears its head at some point. Scarlet Grace originally came out in 2016, mind you.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I'm just hoping that with all this goodwill and interest a NEW SaGa game rears its head at some point. Scarlet Grace originally came out in 2016, mind you.
I thought they said that they were working on a new one as well in addition to the plans that they have for future remakes/remasters.

Duraframe300

Arcane

NerevarineKing

Learned
New?

Square Enix has confirmed that more SaGa games will be remastered in the future, including Romancing SaGa, SaGa Frontier 2, and Unlimited SaGa.

The resurgence of the SaGa is continuing beyond the newly-released SaGa Frontier Remastered, as Square Enix has confirmed that more SaGa remasters are on the way. The SaGa series has an odd history, especially outside of Japan, where the first three games were localized as Final Fantasy titles.

The first three SaGa games were released on the Game Boy as the Final Fantasy Legend trilogy outside of Japan. They were followed by the three Romancing Saga games, which were Japan-exclusive RPGs for the SNES. The next games in the series were the Saga Frontier titles for the original PlayStation, and these were released outside of Japan. These were followed by Unlimited SaGa, a remake of the first game called Minstrel's Song, Emperors SaGa, Imperial SaGa, and SaGa: Scarlet Grace. The series has had a surge of popularity in Japan, thanks to the success of the Romancing SaGa Re;univerSe mobile game, leading to many of the older titles being remastered for modern systems. The most recent of these is SaGa Frontier Remastered, which is now available on most modern platforms.

Square Enix held a livestream to celebrate the launch of SaGa Frontier Remastered. According to Famitsu, SaGa series creator Akitoshi Kawazu confirmed that more remasters were on the way, along with a new game in the series. Kawazu specifically named the original Romancing SaGa, SaGa Frontier 2, and Unlimited SaGa as games that will be remastered, although he didn't give any time frame for their release, nor did he mention any platforms that they would be released on.

The original Romancing SaGa has already been remade on the PS2, but it seems like it's the Super Famicom version that is being remastered. Romancing SaGa follows the story of eight different characters as they try to stop the evil god Saruin from being released from imprisonment. Romancing SaGa 2 and Romancing SaGa 3 have already been remastered for modern systems. SaGa Frontier 2 is one of the most traditional JRPGs in the series, as it follows two different characters in a medieval setting. The most memorable aspect of SaGa Frontier 2 was its beautiful watercolor artwork, which was created long before Bravely Default used the same style. Unlimited SaGa is one of the least popular entries in the series, due to its poorly explained gameplay style, which was heavily experimental for the time.

It's nice to see Square Enix remastering its old catalog, especially when it involves bringing Japan-exclusive games to the West for the first time. There are rumors that games like Live A Live are being remastered as well, which means that it's a great time to be an old-school Square Enix fan.

Minstrel Song is such a great game too

Repressed Homosexual
New?

Minstrel Song is such a great game too

Robber Baron

Savant
Never played Saga games before (tried Unlimited Saga but couldn't) so this one feels very amusing and confusing in many ways. Like the difficulty for example, started playing as Mystic girl and the trash mobs literally pose no threat, then a boss - bam, 1 hit party wipe. Nice. The aesthetics are also very nice, something something 90s dragon ball and pokemon. Are 7 scenarios really worth it though, I can't imagine playing through the same locations 7 times in a row.

NerevarineKing

Learned
Never played Saga games before (tried Unlimited Saga but couldn't) so this one feels very amusing and confusing in many ways. Like the difficulty for example, started playing as Mystic girl and the trash mobs literally pose no threat, then a boss - bam, 1 hit party wipe. Nice. The aesthetics are also very nice, something something 90s dragon ball and pokemon. Are 7 scenarios really worth it though, I can't imagine playing through the same locations 7 times in a row.

Doing the same side areas so many times does get a bit repetitive, but there are a good amount of unique locations in each scenario.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
i never played these games before. what are they like? FF like gameplay? what are they about? what are the sub series (like frontier, romancing, etc) where should i start?

Thorakitai

Learned
A dedicated Saga fan used to make frequent threads in 4chan's /vr/ and he provided good links and suggestions for newcomers and veterans in every of his OPs.

A comprehensive newbie guide that explains the common mechanics and general features of the series.

https://pastebin.com/kRbSg6PG

Links to websites such as the JP wiki for Romancing Saga 3 mods and useful gamefaqs for every Saga game.

https://pastebin.com/ubT3r1z5

Links to soundtrack downloads, pdf guides and other interesting stuff.

https://pastebin.com/E1V2hcfM

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom