Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mass Effect Legendary Edition remaster trilogy

Reinhardt

Arcane
And codex still trying to pretend it's monocled...

Tytus

Arcane
And codex still trying to pretend it's monocled...

It isn't?

1276859741652.jpg

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
I always found the virus paranoia to be overblown. During my 30+ years of warezing, torrenting stuff, etc. on the C64, Amiga and now on PC I had a virus problem maybe like 3-4 times? And even then, nothing major happened, I just lost half a day removing the virus manually. Maybe I had to reinstall Win XP once because of that, but that's it. Just use reputable sources.
I completely forgot about viruses from piracy. I was thinking more about stuff like the rootkit Sony put on some of their CDs, as well as StarForce and SecuROM, that technically aren't viruses, but function about as well as them for the end user.

Larianshill

Arbiter
I don't understand why it happens so much. A quick glance and you can see it's worse than the original, surely they understand this and wouldn't release it in such a sorry state to make some cash, right?
1366_2000.jpg

:negative:
What happened there?

Tytus

Arcane
Mass_Effect_Screenshot_2021.04.02_-_12.10.04.71.png

BTW this is how original XBOX 360 version looked like.

And below you can see the PC Port by Demiurge

Mass_Effect_2021-04-02_11-29-59.png

VS the remaster version

mass-effect-legendary-edition-feros-3840x2160-legendary_k3qk.jpg

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I very much doubt they'll leave these lens flares as they appear in these screenshots. You must be blind to not see it's awful. It hurts my eyes just looking at a static screenshot.

Yawn. I just don't get it, remaking movies that are already great, remastering games that aren't even yet hindered by their aging.
Some bean counter figured out that merely porting games to newer systems didn't sell much, but if you let a few interns fuck around for a month with the visual settings and call it "remastered" you'll get a million sales of a full price or almost full price game at a small fraction of the dev cost. Doesn't matter whether it looks better or worse, the journos will say it looks amazing

I'm 100% not kidding by the way, this is an accepted and normal management technique to give the less experienced half of the company training and weed out the worst of the bunch with low-risk and easily-monitored work. Normally you'd outsource them or put them on smaller new projects, but remakes are "in" now. If you let those guys work on full games from the start you end up with disasters like Andromeda. So instead we end up with the best of 2007 Bioware's visual artistry randomly fucked with by the worst of Bioware's 2020 talent pool.

TL;DR this

2560.jpg

Lacrymas

Arcane
Some remasters are very good, though, like Age of Empires 2 (shame what happened to 1), Starcraft, MediEvil, Crash Bandicoot (? I think it's ok but I haven't played it), etc. There are old games which 100% deserve a professional remaster like this, like Master of Magic, Jagged Alliance 1/2, the IE games, Warcraft 1/2, and many others. There's a caveat, however, their gameplay has to be changed for the better, not only graphics. It hurts my soul when devs refuse to fix glaring issues with the gameplay of these remasters.

3D games like Mass Effect could never get a worthy remaster like what happened to AoE2 and Starcraft because it would require vast amounts of resources. Blizzard felt that on their own backs when they underestimated what would take to remaster Warcraft 3, that's one of the reasons it's so shit. They pulled the plug halfway through because it wouldn't be able to recoup its cost, let alone make a profit. That's why this ME remaster looks worse than the base game with mods, it's indeed more than likely made by interns playing with lighting settings and incorporating texture mods/letting an AI do it for them.

Last edited:

Lacrymas

Arcane
Warcraft 1/2
They better not fucking try that shit again.
In the Warcraft 3 thread, I actually proposed they remake 1 and 2 entirely from scratch as one game in order to set up a better plot, win some goodwill back, and continue the franchise in a new direction (including another WoW). Blizzard haven't released anything noteworthy in over 10 years (Overwatch doesn't count) and it's painfully obvious they have no idea what to do, so that would be a good thing for them.

Caim

Arcane
Warcraft 1/2
They better not fucking try that shit again.
In the Warcraft 3 thread, I actually proposed they remake 1 and 2 entirely from scratch as one game in order to set up a better plot, win some goodwill back, and continue the franchise in a new direction (including another WoW). Blizzard haven't released anything noteworthy in over 10 years (Overwatch doesn't count) and it's painfully obvious they have no idea what to do, so that would be a good thing for them.
If Blizzard wanted to do something with Warcraft that'd be one of the options, yes. Option two would be Warcraft IV that is pretty much the plot of WoW from Vanilla to at least Wrath of the Lich King, with options for expansions based on the WoW expansions. Option three would be Warcraft 0 and go back to the ancient days before, during and shortly after the Sundering.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Just going with Warcraft 4 or 0 would be a mistake because it won't fix the terrible, terrible writing this franchise suffered when WoW came out. WC1 and 2 have been retconned into submission too, so 0 would be corrupted from inception. It's dead, Jim, better remake 1 and 2 to set up a better plot for the future.

Semiurge

Cipher
Yawn. I just don't get it, remaking movies that are already great, remastering games that aren't even yet hindered by their aging.
Some bean counter figured out that merely porting games to newer systems didn't sell much, but if you let a few interns fuck around for a month with the visual settings and call it "remastered" you'll get a million sales of a full price or almost full price game at a small fraction of the dev cost. Doesn't matter whether it looks better or worse, the journos will say it looks amazing

I'm 100% not kidding by the way, this is an accepted and normal management technique to give the less experienced half of the company training and weed out the worst of the bunch with low-risk and easily-monitored work. Normally you'd outsource them or put them on smaller new projects, but remakes are "in" now. If you let those guys work on full games from the start you end up with disasters like Andromeda. So instead we end up with the best of 2007 Bioware's visual artistry randomly fucked with by the worst of Bioware's 2020 talent pool.

TL;DR this

2560.jpg

Very good points, BUT

9j0j3r.gif

Latelistener

Arcane
I don't understand why it happens so much. A quick glance and you can see it's worse than the original, surely they understand this and wouldn't release it in such a sorry state to make some cash, right?
1366_2000.jpg

What happened there?
Consoles I guess. Many PC versions from X360 / PS3 era (especially at the end) had much, much better visuals than the consoles to the point that PS4 and X1 couldn't handle them.

And Arkham City was fucking gorgeous on PC. One of the best looking UE3 games.

KVVRR

Learned
1366_2000.jpg

What happened there?
As far as I know another studio got contracted into making the remaster for the new gen of consoles and also porting it to a newer version of the game's engine. It's funny how much it looks like what's happening with this remaster, with textures and some models being improved while others look worse and the overall mood and lighting is completely botched in some instances, making the original games look better by comparation.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Original reaper: i am your doom. My means are beyond your understanding. Countless civilizations fall before me. As it is, you are mere insects.

Remaster reaper: what a bright and sunny day. What a perfect time to hang out with my buddy commander shepard and we will drink fresh fruit punch on this excellent day.
:popcorn:
AACT2jAABvW9.jpg

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom