Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Any other modern turn based like D:OS?

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
"no old games" takes out most TB masterpieces such as :
  • Temple of elemental Evil - The most faithful D&D adaptation ever
  • Dark Sun : Shattered Lands + Wake of the Ravager
  • Knights of the Chalice 1
  • All Gold Box
But for modern games which can be played in TB, I would recommend :
  • Solasta -> The best low level D&D game that I've played.
  • Pathfinder Kingmaker -> Turn based is optional
  • Knights of the Chalice 2
All extremely better than DOS2.

/thread

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
Warbanners
Chaos Reborn
Druidstone
Eisenwald
Yeah. I'm scraping bottom of that barrel

Except Warbanners isn't at the bottom of the barrel, it's at the very top.
I only listed at least decent turn-based games, but but can be applied to each of them. Didn't feel like repeating games that others had already mentioned.

Warbanners is very solid fantasy combat game with sieges and environment interactions, but it has a bit too much scenarios where your party gets ambushed besides games graphics may not meet some definition of "modern".
Druidstone has certain charm, but it's mechanically lightweight, partly a puzzlegame disguised as tactical RPG and has utterly forgettable faux-JRPG presentation.
Chaos Reborn is solid remake of classic Chaos, but it does have next to none RPG mechanics, game has multiplayer focus which is problem because generic matches vs AI gets old soon and base ruleset has deeply ingrained randomness that isn't for everyone.
Legends of Eisenwald is good game, but it really doesn't have much in common with DoS besides being turn based game with some fantasy elements in setting.

Suicidal

Arcane
Would like to second recommendations for Troubleshooter and Fell Seal.

Troubleshooter is excellent. It's not exactly fantasy, but it's a futuristic urban setting with magic. Kinda like Shadowrun, but not as grimdark and depressing. Game is a mix of XCOM and RPG. Combat is very XCOM-ish with a lot more depth (but only 2 action points, sadly), but instead of disposable soldiers you have an RPG party that stays with you till the end, with lots of customization potential. Also the devs hate money and the thought of displeasing their customers gives them a panic attack, so it's a 20$ game that has 100 hours worth of content, free DLC and they're still adding shit.

Disadvantages:
-Slow start
-Not very challenging (with the exception of several, mostly optional, missions)
-Weebish
-Engrish translation

Fell Seal is also really good, but not quite as good as Troubleshooter. This one is medieval fantasy and more XCOM than RPG (you have to hire soldiers and there's a permadeath option). It's very challenging on higher difficulties and the difficulty options are very well realized - it's not just about increasing enemy stats, but you can also enable other shit, like enemies can use items, enemies can use revive skills, etc. Has some of the most competent battle AI I've seen in an RPG in a long while, although it still does dumb shit sometimes.

Disadvantages:
-Obnoxiously grindy if you want to make sure the right units have the right skills.
-Ugly art style

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Knight of Chalice 1 or 2, which is better? Also, is 2 token\topdown only? I swear I've seen footage with sprites like 1 but I am not so sure now.

Just play KotC 1!

A lot of great recommendations already like Warbanners or Blackguards, Sigma Finite Dungeon is also a great fix for Tactical games cravings.

deama

Prophet
I remember trying out pathfinder kingmaker's turn based mode but thought it was crap.

I remember Tales of Maj'Eyal's combat was pretty fun, especially playing as the steampunk orc class.

the mole

Learned
Shitposter
as you've probably realized developers don't make games like this

like everyone has already said

xcom
fell seal
final fantasy tactics
and you've probably played all of them

gg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom