Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CD Projekt's Cyberpunk 2077 Update 2.0 + Phantom Liberty Expansion Thread

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
They already have recouped their losses from development. They have your money and don't give a fuck about anything else.

Myobi

Liturgist
They have your money and don't give a fuck about anything else.

Not necessarily true, but not to far from it either.

I'm assuming they value their own reputation if nothing else, thus why they are invested on trying to fix the damn thing instead of going down the Anthem road...

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member

I'm assuming they value their own reputation if nothing else, thus why they are invested on trying to fix the damn thing instead of going down the Anthem road...
Pretty much this. Reputation got them this far, so I assume they are going for a Redemption arc. I'm 50/50 on if they will manage it in the end.

Unwanted

Sweeper

Unwanted
Zionist Agent

Pretty much this. Reputation got them this far, so I assume they are going for a Redemption arc. I'm 50/50 on if they will manage it in the end.
t. Pole.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...-modders-make-unused-quests-and-e3-v-playable

Cyberpunk 2077 modders have made unused quests and "E3 V" playable
And they've found some interesting names in the files...

It's now been over four months since the release of Cyberpunk 2077, and while you may have put down your controller to wait for official game updates, modders have been hard at work creating wacky new additions and much-needed fixes. Along with significantly improving community-made modding tools (like the newly-released WolvenKit), over the past few months modders have found snippets of unreleased content, and in some cases, actually made them playable in-game. These include unused quests and old files for V - and modders have also surfaced some interesting references to unused characters from Cyberpunk's wider lore.

One of the more significant finds involves a collection of gig quests, which are normally unplayable in the vanilla version of Cyberpunk 2077. If you want to try them out for yourself without faffing around in debug mode, you now can, as modder romulus_is_here (who I previously spoke to for an article about another set of unreleased quests) has made a save-game mod allowing you to access them with relative ease.

Titled Cut Gigs Save Game, the mod allows you to try out four missions that didn't make it into the released game, two of which have car chases. Not all of them are in particularly great shape, however: a gig called "Hothead" is playable but very glitchy, while another called Desperate Measures is missing some NPC dialogues. The other two are in a better state, and both have multiple outcomes. Here's an example of Concrete Cage Trap, as accessed in debug mode a few months back:

The modding community also seems to be particularly fascinated with "restoring" the look of male and female V as they appeared in the E3 demos and trailers. This one by a group of Cyberpunk 2077 modders, for instance, restores the original E3 female V mesh and textures found in the files "back to their full glory". (It also pairs nicely with this version of female V's 2018 haircut.) This version of male V by almico, meanwhile, has been created through a combination of the original files and some custom work. Modder almico explained that a lot of parts remain in the game files, and they plan on adding further original parts in future (such as V's original eyes).

jpg

There also seems to be a particular fascination with creating E3 lighting mods, although these seem to be recreations rather than restorations of old assets.
And if you need some authentic clothes to match your E3 V, modders have got you covered... literally. There's a mod by KickingWriter and Wulfgaardian that restores female E3 V's clothes, while a mod by Spookie restores the original look of the E3 2018 samurai jacket.

During their adventures digging into Cyberpunk 2077's files, modders have also found some interesting file names that provide clues about Cyberpunk 2077's development process, and some of the quests and characters that were considered for release. A warning that there are some spoilers below for Cyberpunk 2077's storyline.

Romulus used the Ghosts of Night City mod to find placeholder models for several characters from the wider Cyberpunk 2077 lore, who are name-dropped in the files as NPCs but never appear in the game. One of these is Garven Haakensen, a character from the pen and paper RPG Cyberpunk 2020. He was the deputy mayor of Night City and served under mayor Mbole Ebunike, who held office in 2020 (slightly before Johnny Silverhand bombed Arasaka Tower in 2023).

In the Cyberpunk 2077 files Haakensen is listed under sq012, a side quest called "I Fought The Law" given by Elizabeth Peralez, during which you also meet River Ward. This quest is currently playable in Cyberpunk 2077, but some of the characters tagged with this quest - including Haakensen, a ripperdoc and a braindance performer - seemingly never made it into the final version.

Community member Lexigraph is credited with spotting databse entries for another mysterious quest called q111, a main quest which never turned up in the released game. While all the assets for this quest have apparently been scrubbed clean, references to character names can be found in the localisation files. One dataminer found the objectives for this quest, which mention some of these character names. It seems like this quest would have involved River Ward, and taken place in Night City's prison complex - which is not explorable in the current version of the game.

jpg

Some of the other characters mentioned in the objectives for q111.

Another character of note that appears in the files is Morgan Blackhand, Mike Pondsmith's Solo player-character in Cyberpunk 2020. In the game's files, Blackhand is listed in the Love Like Fire mission as an "obsolete" NPC. This is the flashback scene where Johnny Silverhand and Rogue head to Arasaka Tower to plant a bomb. In Cyberpunk lore Blackhand was part of this mission and battled Adam Smasher on the rooftop (after which he is assumed dead), but he never appeared in the released version of Cyberpunk 2077. So it seems CD Projekt Red at one point considered including Blackhand in the game - although it's hard to say at what point they decided to leave him out.

jpg

Morgan Blackhand is name-dropped in Cyberpunk 2077, but we never see him in-person. Frankly, I'm not sure these placeholders are going to help us imagine what he would have looked like in-game.

Romulus told me that there are more unreleased quests that have been in the game since launch, some of which aren't in a playable state or only exist as a bundle of entries. One minor quest, as discussed by Lexigraph in an extended Reddit post, involves a washed-up Corpo called Ken Lee, whose daughter joins the Corpo line of work and ends up losing her life. Another minor quest apparently involves bike racing - with "producers, drivers, and mentions of Kiroshi optics", which Romulus speculated could be a braindance scroll.

These are just some of the latest restoration projects and discoveries from the Cyberpunk 2077 modding community in recent weeks (along with the mods that reintroduce placeholder models), but hopefully we'll eventually see some of these made officially playable in the game. CDPR has announced that the game will be getting a number of free DLC updates, and judging by the recent addition of several more unreleased quests in patch 1.2, perhaps we won't have to wait much longer to see them.

KVVRR

Learned
You can try to fix the gameplay but you can't really fix the story being so on rails and separated from the main gameplay loop.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
my main gripe is the gigs, loot and perk system. so basically like 70% of the game which i doubt can be fixed either by modders or official patches. marcin himself don't and obviously won't admit the core system of the game is borked so hard. it's the second worst loot i have ever played in RPGs maybe second to divinity original sin 2 (DO:S is worse especially because it's turn based, doesn't work at all with the diablo loot system. fuck swen)

Zer0wing

Cipher
CDPR said many times that they made CP2077 with their own funds, returned those investments and made money on their own without investors. I think they secretly glad that the stock falls because they currently don't need investors' money, yet fever zloty per stock means lower dividends.

tritosine2k

Erudite
More proof of 2020's backwards technology:

AMD 2013s tech demo had: silverhand:lol:, NoTAA/DLSS, prominent contact shadow coolness etc.etc.

Old Hans

Arcane
More proof of 2020's backwards technology:

AMD 2013s tech demo had: silverhand:lol:, NoTAA/DLSS, prominent contact shadow coolness etc.etc.

tech demos are for showing off what engines can "possibly do...someday" unreal is great at showing off what their engines can do, but in practice you never see that stuff in the actual games

Paul_cz

Arcane
Ubisoft has 18 times more employees and yet has only 2 times CDP's current market cap.
CDP stock was insanely overvalued prior to Cyberpunk's launch due to the all shattering hype, and is still heavily overvalued even now.
If anything, CDP's stock should go down even further.

The company itself is financially fine though. They have around 450 million USD in a bank and zero debt. As such they can stay in business for the next 8 years even without selling a single copy of anything.

Of course, nextgen Witcher 3 and Cyberpunk plus its expansions are going to keep selling gangbusters.

Zer0wing

Cipher
tech demos are for showing off what engines can "possibly do...someday" unreal is great at showing off what their engines can do, but in practice you never see that stuff in the actual games
It's CryEngine on the demo, though. And it looks like shit compared to actually released Crysis 2, 3 and Kingdom Come.

Self-Ejected

T.Ashpool

Self-Ejected
they are definitely overvalued, how can a game developer with not a single good gameplay designer be worth this much? poland seems to have lots of talented artists: cyberpunk, ruiner, those bloober team horror games have all top notch art direction but when it comes to creating a satisfying gameplay loop they all fail.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Ha, just watching the 2017 Ghost in the Shell (the one with Scarjo), and it struck me that CDPR must have had a huge burst of inspiration for the visuals from this movie, because the general tone and tenor of the graphics are closer to this than any other game or cyberpunky thing I can think of - especially the neon lit night thing, and the balance of grime and glitter.

Quite lush visuals, but such a slow-paced movie. Feels like the sort of first movie you'd make if you'd gotten famous from doing cool visuals for ravers at Glasto. It's barely worth watching even if you're just in it for the visuals and fx.

But yeah, the art design - the general aesthetic for the game must surely have been laid down on the basis of using this movie as a major reference point.

Codex Year of the Donut
They already have recouped their losses from development. They have your money and don't give a fuck about anything else.
Their brand is irreparably damaged. CDPR went from beloved to shit listed overnight.
How impressive are cyberpunk's sales if they're directly responsible for damaging the sales of any game CDPR makes going forward?

KVVRR

Learned
Their brand is irreparably damaged. CDPR went from beloved to shit listed overnight.
How impressive are cyberpunk's sales if they're directly responsible for damaging the sales of any game CDPR makes going forward?
C'mon now, companies get away with a hell of a lot more than just releasing an unfinished mess nowadays. Do you really think this is what will define the decline in sales for them?

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy

Im not trying to be snide here but you WERE the one praising FO76 and how its "fixed now". People will simply forget CP77 ever happened.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom