Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Which character GOALS did your P&P characters had?

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Not only for D&Desque games. You can include your WoD and GURPS chars here. A character goal can be something like for example :

• A Fighter wanting to get rich, a nobility title and retire in luxury
  • A assassin can have as his goal assassinate a very powerful and influential NPC who wronged him in the past
  • An Sorcerer of Abyssal bloodline can HATE demons and hate that he is part demon, don't wanting to pass down his demoniac bloodline but wanting to kill as much demons as possible.
  • A Paladin wanting to please his Deity and Church

My most interesting character sadly was only played in a one shot Dark Sun 3e. His name? Byris. A lv 12 "preserver" wizard, member of Veiled Alliance, specialized in alteration(transmuter) that wanna to develop a way to transform infertile land into fertile land and transform sand and other things into water and mass produce constructs to end the institution of slavery. His alignment was chaotic good and he also studied a bit conjuration and necromancy magic, but never saw much utility on evocation. His spells needs to be able to be "masked" as psionics since everyone hates casters on Athas. Throwing fireballs left and right is asking for trouble. My most used spell in that one shot was polymorth. As longs I an not being seen, I can use it to solve N harsh situations that my party is in.

For eg, a templar tried to accuse our party of a crime and sentence us to slavery as punishment. I used Polymorph Other to make him look like a fugitive slave and he ended the campaign as a slave. Sadly, I could't play him since was only a one shot due the fact that half of my group was missing. After it, I got back to my sorc/dragon disciple in our underdark campaing.

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Charlatan, who accidentally became a priest of Sigmar, wants to escape the church and return to his carefree life. It's Warhammer setting with 5ed dnd rules. Only played one game, but the DM was great. Hopefully playing again in 2 days.

Stormcrowfleet

Aeon & Star Interactive
Developer
Charlatan, who accidentally became a priest of Sigmar, wants to escape the church and return to his carefree life. It's Warhammer setting with 5ed dnd rules. Only played one game, but the DM was great. Hopefully playing again in 2 days.
That sounds nice. Warhammer universe is cool.

Stella Brando

Arcane
I'd like to make a character based on Parker from Alien and then try to negotiate every single price, agreement, number or deal in the adventure. I don't actually play D&D though.

Reinhardt

Arcane
Didn't played that much p&p to have GOALS actually. Remember playing knight in inquisitor's posse, travelling countryside, slave, planning escape with other slaves before we will be sacrificed and runaway priest fleeing from monster from his past. So my goals were mostly immediate.

I had BIG GOAL in our Mordheim campaigns - gather enough warpstone and retire before i get killed.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I wanted to play Lo Wang once in Dark Heresy and my plan was to get all the guns from Shadow Warrior over the course of the campaign (including a hand flamer inside an ork head to simulate the guardian head), but alas that campaign never picked up.

I generally almost never got to have a 'character with goals' because I was always forced to GM :argh: The character I probably got to play the most was Baldwin the Imperial Navy veteran with Eldar PTSD in Rogue Trader whose motivation was basically elf genocide.

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
In Mutants&Masterminds, I once played an SS officer who accidentaly stumbled into some weird Himmler time travel experiments, got teleported to the present times and acquired some super powers in the process. The character's goal was to find a way to travel back in order to finish his mission killing Hitler and preventing WW2. Me and my character managed to offend everyone at the table for different reasons and the campaign never went past session one (at least as far as I know :D ). Was worth it.

From my own experience, DnD ruleset and the Old World are a rather poor match. The grimdarkness really falls apart once your pcs are level 5 and can instagib an entire town guard chapter with a single cast of fireball. Hope your GM is aware of that and houserules the shit out of dnd. That characer sounds pretty cool.

Last edited:

SoupNazi

See I can't share that because the target of my character's assassination goal reads these forums :mlady:

Poseidon00

Arcane
I have been playing, on and off for years, a druid whose goal it is to reach and live on the Elemental Plane of Water. This is 2nd edition, where druids eventually learn to naturally shift from elemental plane to elemental plane at will. Made two jaunts in, both to contact and enter a marid padisha, in an attempt to establish a home and base. Both times the price demanded was too high or risky for me to try it.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Me and my character managed to offend everyone at the table for different reasons and the campaign never went past session one (at least as far as I know :D ). Was worth it.

Please. Give me more details. That sounds extremely interesting.

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Me and my character managed to offend everyone at the table for different reasons and the campaign never went past session one (at least as far as I know :D ). Was worth it.

Please. Give me more details. That sounds extremely interesting.
Eh, not my proudest hour to be honest. We didn't have a session 0, just discussed what we want to play via messenger before playing the first time. I already had the impression this won't go well since I never cared much for capeshit and the other players already came up there with the most retarded anime character concepts imaginable. Just a few minutes into play and I decided this isn't a group I want to play with and purposefully behaved like a prototypical problem player.
I already asked beforehand whether everyone is cool with me with playing an SS Hitler assassinator and I acknowledged it might be a sensible topic to some. No one objected but they probably weren't expecting what was coming. I used a lot of IC words that would get you banned on every modern day platform, which visibly offended some players. First they argued in-game, to which my PC actually agreed in the most politically incorrect way possible ("I concur madam. Deep down in their hearts, those Negroes are humans just as we are"). Finally, when I was called out on that OOC, I argued "hey, my dude comes straight from the '40s, he just doesn't know better. Why do you insist on BULLYING me for ROLEPLAYING?!". The GM actually agreed with me on that one, he was also the only one who sometimes giggled over my character's antics.
Didn't help him much: He was fairly inexperienced (IIRC this was the first time he ever gm'd), I second-guessed every single one of his rulings, the plot twist was telegraphed incredibly badly and I tried my best to subvert it.
It was actually another player who had the one bad idea that would break the game. Jumped immediately in to convince everyone else to follow her plans despite the GM's feeble objections. She was quite flattered by my full support I think. This quickly changed when our mission failed and I blamed her weird tinkerbell character for everything ("Stupid woman! Where I come from, we would have put freaks like you straight into the oven").
That was it. Everyone left pretty quickly after that, someone said a brief 'thanks for the game' in the messenger, no one asked for another session and I never heard again from anyone of them. Like I said, meanwhile I feel pretty bad. Those weren't some overzealous dangerhair SJWs who totally deserve it, just a couple of kinda insecure nerds. Today, if I realize I don't belong in an rpg group, I would just say "sorry guys, this isn't really working for me, hope you have a good time" and leave instead of ruining everyone's game.

Hag

Arbiter
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
I generally almost never got to have a 'character with goals' because I was always forced to GM :argh:
This, but I really enjoy GMing so it's cool.

Among my games as player I've been :
- In a great Star Wars murder party game, an undercover Sith planning to kill another undercover Sith with a sabotaged elevator (would have worked perfectly if for a badly worded note to the GM),
- In a stupid weeaboo homebrew, a fat woman who really wanted to take a bath (our player group was so much railroaded I had to find any other goal just to keep interest).

Azael

Magister
Wasteland 2
I wanted to play Lo Wang once in Dark Heresy and my plan was to get all the guns from Shadow Warrior over the course of the campaign (including a hand flamer inside an ork head to simulate the guardian head), but alas that campaign never picked up.

I generally almost never got to have a 'character with goals' because I was always forced to GM :argh: The character I probably got to play the most was Baldwin the Imperial Navy veteran with Eldar PTSD in Rogue Trader whose motivation was basically elf genocide.

My character's goal was to kill root's character. Which he did. Twice. In the same session.

Lo Wang would have been a p. cool character concept for Dark Heresy, but not really GRIMDARK! enough.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom