Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
and you can invest a lot in it when you don't have to compulsively invest in ie mercantile, electronics and lockpicking and hacking, which are the real dump skills

Styg chose to make Mercantile useful by requiring a deterministic amount of it to access the great majority of high-quality crafting ingredients, rare consumables, weapon accessories, special ammunition in any quantity, and even utilities (crawler poison stuff being particularly notable). This is a negative incentive, because if you skip Mercantile, your crafting skills will be gimped throughout the entire game. I'll grant that you can easily make do with, say, 60-70 Mercantile, then pop a Hypercerebrix or All-In to unlock most of the special inventories, except Effreitor Hannah's. But neither Hypercerebrix nor All-In grow on trees, and this is a strongly meta approach, arguably even more compulsive than the way I typically handle Mercantile.

I will agree that Lockpicking and Hacking can be skipped. Ultimately, >95% of the loot you'll receive is essentially just extra charons, because anything that's not at least a >130q crafting ingredient isn't something you'll be using past the midgame. I can't remember a single instance during this entire playthrough when I used a piece of generic equipment either looted from the game world or crafted from ingredients looted mostly from the game world—the only exception being a few uniques, such as Rathound Regalia and the Chemical Assault Unit Armor/Biohazard Boots/Coretech Respirator combo (for 100% Acid and Bio resist). Most everything else I use has been made from crafting ingredients and accessories offered by merchants, much of it from special inventory; and even if such things are obtainable without access to special inventories, odds are you'll be visiting a lot more merchants before you find them.

I skipped Hacking on my current build, and only missed out on a bit of exploration; even then, the endoscope could at least reveal many hacking-locked rooms. You don't seem to recognize any value in exploration, unfortunately, only pure meta.

You know what would solve a lot of this? Crafting not being absurdly strong would do it, though it's far too late now to fix it. The power of crafted gear relegates nearly all of the unique gear and quite literally all of the generic pre-made gear to the status of vendor trash. What really bothers me are all those unique sprites complete with weapon animations—for the Tesla armor, Lemurian Security Marine armor, Protectorate Marine armor (even if you wear the aforementioned on a jet ski, your sprite just wears a wetsuit), and others—going woefully underused, as do most of the Expedition leather armor sprites, because they fill the nonexistent niche of the middle ground: fairly high armor penalties and middling statistics, too heavy for fastfag builds, too light for slowfag builds. They also require Super Steel to both raise their quality and unlock their full potential, which isn't true of tactical coats, riot armor, or tin cans.

And in any event, it's not a compulsion, but rather a cold analysis of trade-offs. I'm not willing to trade off special merchant inventories, exploration and alternative routes, extra charons throughout the game, additional plasma core power, and at least one utility slot for the ability to kill lightly-armored enemies in a slightly different way—AP refund or no. I'm not saying it can't work. I'm saying that I'm not willing to make the trade-off you're referring to because I judge it to not be worthwhile.

Last edited:

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
What part of the expansion had heavily armored enemies?

The part with the crabs, sea serpents, and automatons—in other words, quite a lot of it. In fact, there are entire points of interest filled with crabs and automatons and nothing else.

They aren't as heavily armored as, say, Balor, but they are at the very least well armored, particularly the blue serpent fellers.

Last edited:

Tygrende

Arbiter
Tesla armor
Don't talk shit about tesla. It's the only way to achieve 100% electro DR with galvanic boots and/or helmet. It makes coil spiders harmless. This may not sound terribly useful if you're used to only playing with stealth and mashing the F9 button, but it's invalueable otherwise. Coil spiders counter metal armor builds, hard.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Don't talk shit about tesla. It's the only way to achieve 100% electro DR with galvanic boots and/or helmet. It makes coil spiders harmless. This may not sound terribly useful if you're used to only playing with stealth and mashing the F9 button, but it's invalueable otherwise. Coil spiders counter metal armor builds, hard.

Sounds like the electricity version of the aluminum foil coat and hat, infused siphoner tabi with insulated padding armor (though I prefer to wear aluminum foil and use molotovs to clear a path through cryogas), and the Chemical Assault Unit combo. I haven't played a tin can build since before Expedition, and my spear/riot armor guy dispatched the great majority of coil spiders before ever finding the Tesla armor.

Meanwhile, for the rest of the game you'll almost certainly be wearing either a generic tin can, generic riot armor, or generic leather armor. If you're lucky, you'll get to look cool in a black school shooter trenchcoat, like my current build did until I had access to infused cave hopper gear.

You know what we need? A vanity armor slot. There, I've said it. Kiss my ass. It's purely a matter of appearance, so it's nowhere near as decline as adding the automap was—and should be dead simple to implement. That way, all the effort that went into those sprites no one ever gets to see won't be wasted.

I don't F9 unless I die, by the way, which is fairly rare. If I bumble unprepared into a bad situation and get some bad rolls, I see it through to the end if at all possible. The best example from this playthrough was when I walked unstealthed right into the large group of Serpentborn who land once you crack Joint Security Headquarters, with my food buffs gone and non-ideal utilities in the slots, etc. I'd forgotten they'd be there.

My first grenade went a bit awry, too. I finished with something like 9 HP, couldn't even see any red in the HP bar, and I'd used a super hypo, Aegis and morphine, all the good shit.

Last edited:

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
You know what we need? A vanity armor slot. There, I've said it. Kiss my ass. It's purely a matter of appearance, so it's nowhere near as decline as adding the automap was—and should be dead simple to implement. That way, all the effort that went into those sprites no one ever gets to see won't be wasted.
+1
I'm a psionic demigod, destroyer of minds and master of time. I can't look like the fucking ratking all the time!

Ghulgothas

Arcane
+1
I'm a psionic demigod, destroyer of minds and master of time. I can't look like the fucking ratking all the time!
UnderFashion, or FashionRail?

Or better yet, UnderOutfitters!

normie

️‍
Patron
Zionist Agent
Insert Title Here
You don't seem to recognize any value in exploration, unfortunately, only pure meta.
HEY RETARD, lockmaxing is the meta, mercantile maxing is the meta, I play according to concepts and playing according to a character concept forces me to problem solve in different ways within the limits of, to go loud when you can afford to be sneaky (not like you would, you need to open every lock and then kill every enemy to be happy lmao), unlike YOU, who obsesses over having every possible way to open to you to XP max and to ease your OCD mind, every charon, every everything all the time

it's ME who told you container components are trash and aren't worth investing in at the expense of conceptmaxing, it seems I got through AGAIN because AGAIN you're repeating something back to me like it's your wisdom, like you made the hacking sacrifice on your own this time

"hey reddit, recommend me a build on top of every crafting option" - you, a bitch and VENDOR TRASH

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
HEY RETARD, lockmaxing is the meta, mercantile maxing is the meta

Knowing that everything behind a lock is optional and unnecessary is also meta.

I play according to concepts and playing according to a character concept forces me to problem solve in different ways within the limits of

This whole thing started with you claiming that you use Dodge and Evasion on pretty much every build, so that's clearly not the case.

it's ME who told you container components are trash and aren't worth investing in at the expense of conceptmaxing, it seems I got through AGAIN because AGAIN you're repeating something back to me like it's your wisdom, like you made the hacking sacrifice on your own this time

Anyone who's played the game even once already knows that—and I'm on record stating as much years before you even registered, let alone deposited a single shitpost in this thread. I'm also aware that after a certain point, obtaining more charons simply makes the pile bigger and is of no further use, but those of the Abrahamic persuasion like that sort of thing.

You're obsessed with justifying the cannibalization of so many useful skills in order to max out two wholly unnecessary ones. Then again, I admire the bearing of a good grudge.

Last edited:

normie

️‍
Patron
Zionist Agent
Insert Title Here

Anyone who's played the game even once already knows that—and I'm on record stating as much years before you even registered, let alone deposited a single shitpost in this thread.
if you said it, you never applied it - which is how it is with you, knowing how a thing is but insisting on playing in a compulsive manner, undermining your own concepts you manage to come up with

I made your shitty dodge and evasion build work - I'm a benevolent tardwrangler and you're an ungrateful nigger

This whole thing started with you claiming that you use Dodge and Evasion on pretty much every build
that's your strawman, I never said it

Tigranes

Arcane
So... cleared the tunnel, activated the 5 outposts and trapped the cave hoppers. So far so good, the 3 grown azurites in the mushroom caves caused me a couple reload but I managed to separate them with a bear trap and snipe them one at the time with Cryokinesis.

So far I've invested in Biology (25) and Chemistry (10) for Psi Inhalant (is there any other way to recover Psi reserves?). Thinking about also splashing a bit of mechanics early on for bear traps. Since I'm investing in Biology anyway I should have enough materials to craft poisoned ones. Mechanics is also needed for grenades parts, right?

So far I've bought and traded very little, learned Extract Humor and Process Plant and Fungus and the Inhalant recipe, is there anything I should be on the lookout for when bartering since the beginning?

Don't be too afraid to splash here and there - 10 points wasted won't kill you. But by the same token, psi inhalants are fairly common and even psi characters aren't ever spending tons of $ on them after a while, and bear traps are also fairly cheap/common after the initial hump.

Longer term investment involves stuff like high-grade energy shields (electricity), or beelining for high-quality grenades (chemistry), e.g. to give yourself mach 3 grenades right around where you're at. Mechanical likely isn't a big need for you without crafting guns/weapons/metal armour.

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
Hmm.

CAU Armor/Biohazard Boots/Aegis Helmet - 100% Acid and Bio resistance
Tesla Armor/Galvanic Boots/Galvanic Helmet - 100% Electricity resistance
Fire Proximity Suit/Various Boots/Various Helmets - 100% Heat resistance

Now, is there a way to achieve 100% Energy and Cold resistance?

Bison Leather/Bison Boots/Tungsten Helmet - high Cold resistance
TiChrome Armor/TiChrome Boots/TiChrome Helmet - high Energy resistance

And is it possible to achieve 100% Mechanical resistance without drugs?

CHEMS

Scholar

I think they're doing that on Infusion, no? I like it.

Tygrende

Arbiter
Now, is there a way to achieve 100% Energy and Cold resistance?
Cold should be easy with just really good infused bison armor and tabis. Energy I don't think you can get quite to 100%, but triple TiChrome armor with boots and helmet should get pretty damn close.

Mech DR is the only DR capped at 95%. You can only achieve 100% via damage reduction, but that's only with drugs.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
that's your strawman, I never said it

What you did say is that builds lacking Dodge and Evasion can't handle Dominating, which is clearly bullshit, since more than a few people who've posted in this thread have completed Dominating without them.

You also said that builds lacking Dodge and Evasion rely on using F9 while greatly over-exaggerating the presence in Underrail of situations where Dodge and Evasion are most useful (i.e., protracted defense, such as native assaults). More bullshit. >90% of the game's tableaus allow you to end battles quickly or even instantly if you're set up to do so.

I approach the game as it actually is while trying to follow a character concept in terms of gear, feats, attributes, and choice of combat skills. I freely concede that my approach to crafting and subterfuge skills is strongly meta, but then I've played through this game many a time. You claim to follow character concepts, but are a slave to the requirements of insisting on playing DOMINATING so that you can brag about it on Reddit, 4chan, and RPG Codex.

You min-max your build like a fiend to compensate for a difficulty mode that the game wasn't truly designed for, like every other DOMINATING player. You pump DEX to 18-plus—like every other DOM player—and dump several attributes down to 3, like every other DOM player. "Within the limits of" my ass, you deluded fraud. Dumping 3-4 attributes to 3 so that you have a DOM-ready absurd glass cannon isn't "working within the limits of" your build—it's dealing with the consequences of min-maxing for DOM. That build you produced has the strength of a child with muscular dystrophy, the toughness of a terminal cancer patient, the eyesight of a cave salamander, but the dexterity of the most genetically perfect spider on uppers. What character concept is that, imbecile? A cardboard tube on legs that dispenses damage?

Mind you, I have nothing against people who treat DOM as a personal challenge and show off what they can do, like Sheepherder. I have beef with pathetic shut-ins like you who wear it as a personal badge of honor, mock those who don't play on DOM, and view the game through a lens entirely focused on DOM-related concerns.

normie

️‍
Patron
Zionist Agent
Insert Title Here
What you did say is that builds lacking Dodge and Evasion can't handle Dominating, which is clearly bullshit, since more than a few people who've posted in this thread have completed Dominating without them.
I said that people who spread evasion/dodge dumping as wisdom are dumb people who are somehow convinced they have wisdom to bequeath, it's the way they out themselves - what they actually have is compulsive neurosis, and they spread it to unsuspecting newcomers by indulging in the pregaming tendencies of newcomers who are so inclined - the game is designed to played, not pregamed, its rules are designed, they unfold and can be further intuited as you go through the experience, and what you want to achieve can accounted for as you play (ie you don't need to know the requirements of blueprints, blueprints themselves can be a goal setting tool as far as skill point distribution goes, that one has such concerns on repeated playthroughs doesn't make it a thing to concern first-timers with - similarly, if you accept defense dumping as wisdom, it's not something you concern first-timers with, and I take particular offense to you being wrong and giving dumbass advice)

you can't handle DOM, and you can't handle oddity, the experience mode the the game's entire difficulty curve is designed and paced around, where's the lie; it aggravates your OCD, for others and you, the mook stomping powers don't come online early enough, it doesn't gel what with you find wasteful and not, so you need classic to hold your hand - such people don't have advice worth giving, sorry not sorry
You also said that builds lacking Dodge and Evasion rely on using F9 while greatly over-exaggerating the presence in Underrail of situations where Dodge and Evasion are most useful
they do, varying with their cheese-game, until they get far enough ahead of the difficulty curve - defense skills are useful throughout for builds that can make use of them, which is everyone who is not weighed down with armor penalty, there's no exaggeration but the exaggeration the skills don't work or that they barely come online at endgame levels

their efficiency curve follows the same curve as all other skills, zone to zone, and become truly overpowering against lessers at lategame levels, like everything else
but are a slave to the requirements of insisting on playing DOMINATING
I'm not, because I don't (I am now, though, build post incoming!!! when I finish playing)
You min-max your build like a fiend to compensate for a difficulty mode that the game wasn't truly designed for, like every other DOMINATING player. You pump DEX to 18-plus—like every other DOM player—and dump several attributes down to 3, like every other DOM player.
I edited the build you posted and removed the particularly horrendous waste and confusion lol, you are a spastic

all you needed to say was "thanks massa normie", not try to contrive issues for the sake of having an issue (like a fucking WOMAN)

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
id agree that throwing knives are best when grabbed by knife build. 1 feat wonder, possibly better than blitz. Does require investment in throwing though(over grenades).
Best paired with cutthroat, another not crucial but quite enjoyable feat

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
you can't handle DOM, and you can't handle oddity, the experience mode the the game's entire difficulty curve is designed and paced around, where's the lie; it aggravates your OCD, for others and you, the mook stomping powers don't come online early enough, it doesn't gel what with you find wasteful and not, so you need classic to hold your hand - such people don't have advice worth giving, sorry not sorry

That's preposterous. Many people here can handle Dom, myself included. Are you talking about Dom on Oddity?

Werdnicus

Learned
9B1QZVE.jpg

So, what's up with this translation? Who wrote this?

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
hello everyone. hope i'm not stepping on any toes here, but if anyone would like to watch a video Let's Play of an Underrail on Hard/Blind playthrough that is 13 episodes in, feel free to check out my youtube channel. www.youtube.com/gamegodfluent

if not, feel free to continue and just ignore me. :) by the way, i can't really view the thread anymore because i'm actively avoiding spoilers! so, maybe after i've beaten the game or gotten a lot further i'll come here and chat with u guys. :) Much love! <3

CHEMS

Scholar
hello everyone. hope i'm not stepping on any toes here, but if anyone would like to watch a video Let's Play of an Underrail on Hard/Blind playthrough that is 13 episodes in, feel free to check out my youtube channel. www.youtube.com/gamegodfluent

if not, feel free to continue and just ignore me. :) by the way, i can't really view the thread anymore because i'm actively avoiding spoilers! so, maybe after i've beaten the game or gotten a lot further i'll come here and chat with u guys. :) Much love! <3

Going blind on oddity? You must like pain

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
This is truth. You mostly buy top tier components from vendors instead of finding them. So lockpicking could be safely dumped, leave it just for opening vents if you dont have strength.

It's a truth that's been obvious for years. Lockpicking does provide alternate routes of ingress to and egress from some combat encounters, as well as shortcuts or alternate solutions (example: lockpicking Maura's cell instead of getting the key from the locker). It also allows players who haven't memorized the game to access and view areas they otherwise couldn't. Hacking is similar, with a different slant—more shortcuts and alternate solutions in the form of interactions with computers and automatons, but fewer alternate routes or entire side rooms to unlock, and no vent access.

Pickpocketing remains the most dumpable subterfuge skill, despite the addition of the Drag 'n' Drop. It does help with ammo and meds very early on, but afterward it's relegated to a dispenser of additional charons, just like the other two. Premium drinks can be purchased, and need not be stolen; since everyone else assumes access to lots of charons when discussing how dumpable these subterfuge skills are, then so do I. The drinks are worth thousands, but looted components can and do regularly produce crafted vendor trash worth many, many tens of thousands. It does have a bit of overlap with lockpicking and hacking, but notable overlap (such as the option to pickpocket Azif's keycard or the maintenance tunnel key to Port Zenith) is minimal.

Regardless, I suppose that loot remains the primary motivator, even though each of the three provide Deus Ex-like alternate routes of approach... but perhaps not often enough nor to a great enough extent to be considered truly needful. Very occasional access to gear that's genuinely on par with player-crafted gear might help.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom