Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Project Gorgon

Codex Year of the Donut
I got the councils to make Codexia, a codex guild. PM me at Avoret to get an invite.

Yes, dying is a skill itself.
What's the use of that "skill"?
Not entirely sure. It unlocks something at level 10, but I don't want to spoil it.
Also, skills will offer bonus levels to similar skills at certain levels, the bonus levels go over the level cap for skills. e.g., dying synergizes with necromancy.

Codex Year of the Donut
Tip: always butcher pigs(and pig-like enemies) to get as much pork shoulder as possible.
Turn pork shoulder into bacon, which is a really good gift for Joeh in Serbule, and it also sells well to the owner of the inn in Serbule

Codex Year of the Donut
I got the councils to make Codexia, a codex guild. PM me at Avoret to get an invite.
Don't do this to yourself. The community is small enough as it is. Join a public guild, they're almost entirely based boomers that have been playing together since EQ99 or Asheron's Call.
Yeah, I don't think enough of codex plays it yet. Maybe when it releases. The game is really fun, codex should be playing it though.

Another tip for newbies:
You learn shields at
the serbule hills inn
, the skill gives a charge at level 7 that boosts your movement speed. Great for getting around.

Codex Year of the Donut
finally, a game with a skill for belt buckle artistry. Exactly what every RPG needed but I didn't know it needed until now.

Codex Year of the Donut
Found S0rcererV1ct0r 's ring
image.png

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Are two handed weapons in? Remember all they had at one point was unarmed, a sword and a staff.

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
i played a good chunk of this back when it was free for testing (iirc, sorry, it's been awhile.) also agree that it's skill system and pure exploration are both pretty fantastic. i'm glad to hear it's still around and expanding even more, i will definitely jump back in at some point. cheers to u guys, too, for dropping some good bits on the game in this thread. thanks for that.

Codex Year of the Donut
Decided to become a werewolf, it's permanent with no way to undo it.
You have to sate your wolf spirit to be able to shift back to human form aka kill a bunch of enemies.

Most NPCs have unique animal-only dialogue and there's NPCs that will only talk to animals, including animal towns.

Codex Year of the Donut
howling together in the city center with other wolves, howl is a stacking long-lasting buff that gets amplified by the amount of wolves present also howling
:shittydog:

I have to stay in wolf form for a continuous 180 ingame minutes to be able to use animal town, apparently.
I suppose it's to prevent people from quickly shapeshifting into an animal to get the benefits. Neat.

Codex Year of the Donut
Pig in animal town asked me whether I think it's ethical if he should stay with his mate after he gained sapience but she didn't, and despite that he still loved her.
:shredder:
That's a thinker.

Codex Year of the Donut
Easily the most fun I've had in an MMO in a long, long time.
If you aren't a fan of obtuse mechanics, lots of walking between areas, extensive inventory management, and a focus on the journey rather than the destination then it might not be for you.

It's a boomer MMO and it doesn't try to hide it. If you've wondered what MMOs would look like if WoW clones didn't kill the genre, it's called Project Gorgon.

Right out of the gate you're introduced to many of core design principles of the game. On the starter island after you get your head on straight you find a 'quest' to
teleport yourself off the island. You can actually mess the quest up and give the wrong coordinates sending you nearly anywhere in the game, including high level areas.
But wait.
You can get off the island in other ways too.
No hand holding here, not even on noob island.
And there's a good bit of lore around on the island too if you actually go looking for it, much like the rest of the game.

The thing that impresses me the most is the thought put behind nearly everything in the game.
Trash items don't really exist, essentially every item I've encountered has a purpose. Curious of what an item does? Right click it and click more info. It will tell you which NPCs like this item(if you've met them and discovered they like it), and what recipes use the item(if you've discovered the recipe, otherwise it just lists an unknown recipe.)
NPCs aren't quest dispensers. They walk around town, chat with their friends, have items they like and dislike. Get them to them like you and get benefits in return. Lots of reactivity. Some won't talk to you if you stink or wear ugly clothing, some won't depending on what you look like, some will depending on what you look like. Some won't talk to you if you're not famous enough. Some don't speak your language and you need to go learn their language first.
Speaking of quests, there are no markers. Anywhere, for anything. Open up your map and start marking that stuff manually.

Another core design principle is the mix between gameplay and how it's represented in the game itself.
Really lost on what to do for a quest? Level up your foraging and you get an ability that will point you in the general direction you need to go for your current task.
You have a limited number of ability slots. But this is actually a part of the game. There are memory drugs you can take to expand your support ability bar to put more things on there.

The UX/UI for everything but inventory management is fantastic. Want to know exactly what modifiers you have for an ability? Just mouse over it. Want to move any part of the UI? Go ahead. Want to scale anything or resize fonts, etc.,? Go ahead. Want to move back and forth between inspected items like a browser with history? Yep. Same with the craft menu and a bunch other. Puts AAA MMOs completely to shame.

And this game isn't even released yet. Other devs aren't even trying.

Project Gorgon is a true hidden gem. I might expand this into a full review after playing it longer. But it will be a very long review if so, there's just so much here to cover.
tl;dr:
If you've wondered what MMOs would look like if WoW clones didn't kill the genre, it's called Project Gorgon.

Last edited:
Codex Year of the Donut
equipped a silver item not thinking and it started damaging me :shittydog:

one thing that's hard to explain is everything is tagged with categories. If a recipe calls for a crystal, any item that might seem like a crystal in the game will probably work. If someone wants something wooden, any item that seems to be wooden will probably work.

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I would be slightly more enthusiastic if you hadn't gushed just like this for Fallout 76. :roll:

However it does sound like the kind of game I would have absolutely loved 20 years ago before I had a life of sorts and could devote 8 hours a day to MMO's. Tagging this thread to see how it develops.

ADL

Prophet
Why wait? Just download the demo. It's a great couple hours that gives you a pretty good idea of what the rest of the game is like.

Data4

Arcane
I've been somewhat curious about this game for a couple of years now, but never pulled the trigger. It seems interesting enough. I'm not a graphics whore, but I can't help but notice there are a lot of pinks and purples in a lot of the screenshots I see. I dunno, just something about that is off-putting. What's the deal with that?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom