Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I wanna thank Larian. Thanks to Larian, a lot of "dos2 players" are trying to play the true Baldur's Gate games and maybe they will stop saying the blasphemy that "dos2 is the modern bg" which is the most triggering thing ever.

While I was doing aerobic exercises at the gym(bike), I was reading the "negative" reviews and found some pearls. Eg?
mA0odze.png

Last edited:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Imaging thinking BG is teh hard when the whole game is a cake walk. How do those people even manage to hold jobs?

Yosharian

Arcane
I wanna thank Larian. Thanks to Larian, a lot of "dos2 players" are trying to play the true Baldur's Gate games and maybe they will stop saying the blasphemy that "dos2 is the modern bg" which is the most triggering thing ever.

While I was doing aerobic exercises at the gym(bike), I was reading the "negative" reviews and found some pearls. Eg?
mA0odze.png
But I heard Larian added weighted dice rolls in the latest update? Surely this player will enjoy the game now

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

mA0odze.png
But I heard Larian added weighted dice rolls in the latest update? Surely this player will enjoy the game now

If is not clear by liches stopping time and summoning ""unlikable"" demons, that review is from BG2. There are a lot of noobs playing BG1/2 after playing BG3.

Imaging thinking BG is teh hard when the whole game is a cake walk. How do those people even manage to hold jobs?

Is a cake walk for 90s RPG gamers. For modern gamers, even on the lowest difficulty :

Larianshill

Arbiter
I'd like to use this opportunity to mention how much I dislike Astarion, and how much I hate his rabid fanbase that seems to be exclusively composed of former Twilight fangirls.

Salvo

Arcane
I'd like to use this opportunity to mention how much I dislike Astarion, and how much I hate his rabid fanbase that seems to be exclusively composed of former Twilight fangirls.
Yes, only thing being those fangirls are actually faggots.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy

Based zoomers exposing the 90's overrated boomer crpg trash.

In the video, he mentioned amazing "rpgs" like diablo 3 and final fantasy mmo. Both games with zero RP involved all about managing boring timers(cooldown) and farming gear. Sadly now Baldur's Gate is on hands of a company that can't even do firebolt right.

Reminder that this very site considers Diablo to be an RPG.

As I was just wasting time arguing on the Larian forum few hours ago, the more I think about it the more popular consensus seems to be the BANE of competent game design when it comes to make a proper RPG (and other genres too, frankly).

People hate restrictions even when they make perfect sense and enhance immersion. Hell, even when they actually improve things mechanically (see XCOM 2 and the endless bitching about "timers", no matter how trivial it was to remove them if you were too mentally impaired to learn how to deal with them).

They want immediate convenience above quality of experience.
They want flashy question marks you could spot from a mile above quest givers, instant fast travel from anywhere to everywhere taking away any sense of scale and pace from a game world; they want minimaps telling them whatever is going on on a 50-meters radius and omniscient GPS driving them with military-grade precisions on their targets without a single need to having to figure out a thing by context.
They complain that "pen & paper rules are not suited for videogames" omitting how most of the videogame-born rulesets are half-baked simplistic trash entirely focused on crunching big numbers for the sake of it (with very rare exceptions like Darklands, which one again tried to mimic a pen & paper feeling).

What's worse, most game designers today, especially in the mainstream market, are utterly terrorized at the mere notion to antagonize this casual audience while trying to stay true to a sensible design.

Except when it comes to the Larian toilet chain. In that case consensus is right the the mechanic is utter garbage that needs to be thrown in a volcano with its creator.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I have heard that WoTC was removing attribute penalties from certain races, allowing a orc wizard to be as good as a human wizard born in Glantri... I miss the TSR times. Manlets like Dwarfs and brainlets like Orcs could't be glorious magic users and gnomes could only be of certain "kits" like illusionists and alchemists.

Last edited:

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
What's worse, most game designers today, especially in the mainstream market, are utterly terrorized at the mere notion to antagonize this casual audience while trying to stay true to a sensible design.

It seems to me that Larian ARE the casual audience, since they clearly have trouble grasping the concepts behind the RAW.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom