Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In appreciation of TIE Fighter.

Peachcurl

Cipher
I still just have the joystick I got like 20 years ago. One time I spilled orange soda on it and it got sticky. Then it got cat hair stuck to it because it was sticky, and it's probably still on there now.

I bet real TIE Fighter pilots don't have to deal with those problems.

Nah, they don't.

Angel

Novice
Hi. So we are several weeks into the closed Beta test now, and yes this is taking a fair bit longer than I first anticipated. We've had over 730 bug reports total, many of which are simple, quick fixes to missions like incorrect skins, messages or orders not triggering correctly, some gameplay/balance issues. Actual crashes/CTDs are thankfully few and far between and many of which have happened, we've found the caused and fixed it but there are a few other gameplay issues we are still working on which require more in-depth investigation or fixes. We are also continuing to benefit from new features coming soon in the next XWAU update! I will not give any info regarding a release date save to say you've got a few more weeks to wait yet, but such is the wait for quality we hope :)

Darth Flesh

Barely Literate
Thanks for the update. It's appreciated by all of us NOT on the Beta test as we await the general release!

Angel

Novice
Sorry about that Luka-Boy, I had really hoped we would be released by now, but Beta testing has shown up a handful of issues we still need to resolve to ensure a full quality experience, or at least the best we can give :)

Luka-boy

Arcane
Hey it's fine man. I can see you guys are making good progress so if it's not now I'll play it during Summer.
:thumbsup:

Anyway, I found this video by one of the beta testers where he talks about the project's history and also some features including the mod's Installer/Launcher.

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
this was one of the few games as an amiga owner i envied, but by the time i had been forced to move to this other side it was already so old i was afraid of ruining my expectations. i dread the thought of early '90s controls and interfaces. or is it even a late '80s game? probably a beautiful dream is better than harsh reality.
You can easily play the game with a mouse. Other than that you only really need to learn a few keys and key combinations for energy and shieldsmanagement, target selection, weapon modes, ending the mission and giving wingmen orders. There are other hotkeys but they're not quite as important except the one to check the current objectives but still good to learn.

As for the interface, it does a good job of showing you everything you need to know.
- Crosshair in the middle that turns green if you're expected to hit your selected target, shows the weapon and mode selected and also has warning lights if an enemy is targetting you.
- Sensors, one facing forward and another one backwards, which works way better than it looks.
- Gauges for energy management (Lasers and Engine, also Shields and/or Beam depending on the craft and setup) and speedometer.
- Bottom center would be the targeting computer showing the current selected target with information like heading, speed, shield and hull integrity and distance.
- Above it is the weapon status, both missile and energy weapons.
- Display with the general hull integrity of your craft (Green, Yellow, Red) and shield status.
- At the very bottom of the screen you get information about any events.
Except that last one, all those different displays can randomly be destroyed for the rest of the battle if your hull gets damaged.

The sum of all those elements:
capturadepantalla_202w4kwt.png

EDIT: :Flash: Ohgodohgodohgod :bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce:

I've yet to see a better cockpit and systems utilisation in a game. This was done the best there ever was in my opinion. Also, triple yay for X-Wing and TIE-Figher games of old also here.

:Flash:

Arcane
there's an absurd amount of bloom in these videos, i sure hope it can be toned down/disabled
Yes, angel has stated in the youtube comments that he really likes bloom and has it cranked all the way up, but you can tone it down and disable it.

Edited to add: These videos are really great, and show well just how much work went into this.

Last edited:

Angel

Novice
there's an absurd amount of bloom in these videos, i sure hope it can be toned down/disabled

What Flash said is not exactly true, I personally like some bloom, but I don't like it cranked all the way up. But as I'm constantly switching versions and testing, I seldom actually bother tweaking my visual settings. In any case, you can have the bloom settings off, low, medium or maximum. You can also fine tune it to your liking via the config file.

:Flash:

Arcane
Sorry about that, then. I was sure I read it in a reply to a youtube comment about the bloom.

Angel

Novice
Sorry about that, then. I was sure I read it in a reply to a youtube comment about the bloom.

No worries, just me repeatedly acknowledging some people didn't like the high bloom and that it could be changed :D

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
It seems you can be quite a bit more creative with mission planning when it doesn't have to fit into like 4mb of RAM. Everything about TIE Fighter that was less than perfect is related to that, like how there can't be a new flight of fighters generated until the old one is destroyed.

I would say that 20 minutes is pretty long for a mission. It's probably appropriate for this because it's the most epic totally awesome part of the game, but usually I'm gonna get annoyed if I play 19 minutes and either get killed or have to get up and take a leak and forget what I was doing.

Ninjerk

Arcane
It seems you can be quite a bit more creative with mission planning when it doesn't have to fit into like 4mb of RAM. Everything about TIE Fighter that was less than perfect is related to that, like how there can't be a new flight of fighters generated until the old one is destroyed.

I would say that 20 minutes is pretty long for a mission. It's probably appropriate for this because it's the most epic totally awesome part of the game, but usually I'm gonna get annoyed if I play 19 minutes and either get killed or have to get up and take a leak and forget what I was doing.
The squadron doesn't need pilots who forget their duty.

Deleted member 7219

The squadron doesn't need pilots who forget their duty.

Exactly. Imagine what real pilots have to go through. They don't get to have 20 minute sessions in the cockpit. And if they're killed, there is no option to replay.

There are definitely missions in the original TIE Fighter campaigns that take longer than 20 minutes to obtain all objectives.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
It seems you can be quite a bit more creative with mission planning when it doesn't have to fit into like 4mb of RAM. .

Still astonished that my first IMB-based PC had less than 1 meg (not gigabytes... megabytes!) memory and yet I was perfectly content playing Wolfenstein 3D thinking what a technological marvel it was at the time. Even more joy was had when I upgraded to my first Pentium-class rig with its massive 8 megabytes system memory, and Duke Nukem 3D ran like God's speed sliding down a cosmic glass dildo slicked with astroglide. Just thought I'd have a senior nostalgic moment here for a minute. Carry on.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom