Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

A gaming thread (not only) for Czech people

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
Ahoj lidi, hello all.

What a find. All old Score magazines archive with all the pages and stuff. Even more awsome for me personally. All of my physical copies, a treasure to be said, had been thrown away by another.

https://www.score.cz/1.8-archiv

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
Did you know, that games like the first Doom for example costed around 1/3-1/2 of a salary in the Czech Republic back in the day? The funny thing is, the actual amount of money was the same as today - 60 dollars for an AAA game. And yes, our salaries back in 1993, shortly after the fall of the communism, were around 4-6000 CZK. That amounted to 133-188 USD.
So it was either trying to carry grog in mugs without them melting in the virtual space and not eating in the real world, or having a PC just for the display. Of course people chose neither. Everybody pirated everything and anything :D I don't remember a single person with an original game.
Not so funny a fact #2 - my first PC had 20Mhz 1MB RAM 40MB HDD. It was the year 1992 and the PC costed nearly 6x a normal salary.

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
original_war_soldier.jpg

Co to kurwa ma być, somsiad?

Paul_cz

Arcane
Hrozne rád bych zkompletoval Andrew/Ice/Mrkvoun/Papík éru score. Ale asi už je nikdy neseženu.

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
Hrozne rád bych zkompletoval Andrew/Ice/Mrkvoun/Papík éru score. Ale asi už je nikdy neseženu.
Mně už to za to dnes nestojí, ale ten sentiment vítám a naprosto chápu. Zkus kdyžtak bazos.cz nebo pc.bazos.cz Score tam prodává hodně lidí. Často uplně nejstarší čísla.

thesecret1

Arcane
Čau. Z českých her mě asi nejvíc bavila Mafie a Original War, pecky i ve světovém měřítku. Škoda, že většina českého game developmentu je rozfrcaná po různých korporátech nebo mini studiích.

Paul_cz

Arcane
Čau. Z českých her mě asi nejvíc bavila Mafie a Original War, pecky i ve světovém měřítku. Škoda, že většina českého game developmentu je rozfrcaná po různých korporátech nebo mini studiích.
KCD nic? U mě to překonalo Mafii. Ten design a svět je prostě špičkovej.
Mně už to za to dnes nestojí, ale ten sentiment vítám a naprosto chápu. Zkus kdyžtak bazos.cz nebo pc.bazos.cz Score tam prodává hodně lidí. Často uplně nejstarší čísla.

čas od času tam koukám, ale zatím bez úspěchu, když už tam něco je, tak předražený.

thesecret1

Arcane
KCD nic? U mě to překonalo Mafii. Ten design a svět je prostě špičkovej.
KCD mě bavilo dost, ale ne tolik jako jiné tituly. Mělo to holt určité mouchy – ekonomika v háji (v podstatě plaveš v penězích), velká většina té obrovské mapy neměla v podstatě žádný content (super že to vypadá hezky, ale pokud je tam ta vzdálenost jen od toho, abych zabíjel čas jejím projížděním, tak to omrzí), a halvně mi úplně nesedlo jak to pojali – combat je tam zastoupený v podstatě vzácně (pochybuju že jím strávíš víc jak 10% playtimu) a na story-heavy hru je to až moc lineární. Nemluvě o recyklovaných questech typu "Dones mi 20 kilo zvěřiny" které byly snad v každé dědině. Neříkám že to nebyla dobrá hra, ale tyhle věci znamenaly že to pro mě nebylo best of the best.

Paul_cz

Arcane
KCD mě bavilo dost, ale ne tolik jako jiné tituly.
Fair enough, mě ekonomika přišla ok prvních cca 50 hodin, pak jsem začal mít peněz spoustu, ale zase jich aspoň dost padlo na obnovu Přibyslavic. Každopádně tohle pro mě není zásadní problém, většina RPG co jsem hrál má ekonomiku podobně nevybalancovanou (a přijde mi že je to hlavně tím, že to vývojáři balancujou pro hráče co jedou jen main quest, zatímco když hraju completionist, tak jsem holt boháč).

I don't get it

Learn czech and you will .p

Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Did you know, that games like the first Doom for example costed around 1/3-1/2 of a salary in the Czech Republic back in the day? The funny thing is, the actual amount of money was the same as today - 60 dollars for an AAA game. And yes, our salaries back in 1993, shortly after the fall of the communism, were around 4-6000 CZK. That amounted to 133-188 USD.
So it was either trying to carry grog in mugs without them melting in the virtual space and not eating in the real world, or having a PC just for the display. Of course people chose neither. Everybody pirated everything and anything :D I don't remember a single person with an original game.
Not so funny a fact #2 - my first PC had 20Mhz 1MB RAM 40MB HDD. It was the year 1992 and the PC costed nearly 6x a normal salary.

Bro, it is certainly possible that games used to cost that much back in the day, but I would be genuinely surprised if anyone actually bothered buying "original" (originálky, jak jsme říkali za starých dobrých časů) games back when Doom came out. Pirate copies were openly advertised in newspapers (Anonce atp.) in the 90s, back when you could fit multiple games on a single CD they were selling for a few crowns, a bit later the prices were like 20 CZK per CD (ie I paid 40 CZK for Tiberian Sun that came on 2 CDs and 20 CZK for Myth II, which was on just one). In about mid to late 90s, authorities actually started to notice piracy as a bit of an issue and I remember that a guy my father used to mail order the games from actually got arrested (not sure what the sentence was, probably just a probation). After that there was a brief moment when internet became a thing, but torrents weren’t widely used yet, so people would post adds for pirated games online and send CDs by mail, prices were still more or less the same. The only time I was ever interrogated by the police was when this dude (used to run a web called something like secretgarden.cz) got busted and the cops found my address in his records or something. The cop could not spell "Knights of the Old Republic" so I ended up typing most of the protocol on a shitty old typewriter for him (that was in 2003 or thereabouts). After that it was just torrents all the way.

It was my impression that for about a decade and a half, most people only got original/none-pirated games from the gaming magazines.

Jó, to bejvávaly časy - já si tedy předplácel Excalibur, Score jsem kupoval spíš jen když měli nějakou dobrou plnou verzi na CD. Všech těch starejch časáků mám furt doma hromadu ve skříni.

Jinak z český produkce jsme měl hodně rád Operation Flashpoint, Vietcong, Original War, Paranoia (to byla stará CZ kopie Duny II) i ta Mafia byla docela fajn. Když jsem byl hodně malej, tak jsem taky dost hrál český adventury (Agent Mlíčňák, Tajemství oslího ostrova, Ve stínu havrana atp.). Jinak KCD je taky fajn.

Is there a Czech (voiced) version of Oblivion? If yes, could someone make an LP?

Doubt it. There was a phenomenal (unofficial) Czech voiceover for Doom though (Imps called you a fagot while doing melee attacks and such), but I couldn’t find any videos of it online.

Last edited:

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
Always wanted to ask: how do you feel about the Czech accent (and dubs) in "Deus Ex: Mankind Divided"?
I generally disdain any Czech gaming dub or subtitles. Movies = perfect. We're considered top of the world - by the world. Games = really awful most of the times. Superficial af. I never understood that :(

Deus Ex: MD Czech dub was ...bearable for me. So, that mean best of the best if you think about it :D Some of the rude lines by the police were actually a proper street talk - dull and haughty tone at the same time. You can hear that quite a lot in Prague.

As for the Czech props in generall - made me smile in a good way. I don't care if those matched the reality (sometimes they did, sometimes it was out of place). What matters is, it's a very good game.

Funfact: Picus TV is a hillarious joke. Probably intentional. Try to pronounce "pitchus" in English with a non-existent "t" and you've said a Czech word for an asshole (of the male sex). We write it pičus, which is almost the same :D

Last edited:

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron

Bro, it is certainly possible that games used to cost that much back in the day, but I would be genuinely surprised if anyone actually bothered buying "original" (originálky, jak jsme říkali za starých dobrých časů) games back when Doom came out. Pirate copies were openly advertised in newspapers (Anonce atp.) in the 90s, back when you could fit multiple games on a single CD they were selling for a few crowns, a bit later the prices were like 20 CZK per CD (ie I paid 40 CZK for Tiberian Sun that came on 2 CDs and 20 CZK for Myth II, which was on just one). In about mid to late 90s, authorities actually started to notice piracy as a bit of an issue and I remember that a guy my father used to mail order the games from actually got arrested (not sure what the sentence was, probably just a probation). After that there was a brief moment when internet became a thing, but torrents weren’t widely used yet, so people would post adds for pirated games online and send CDs by mail, prices were still more or less the same. The only time I was ever interrogated by the police was when this dude (used to run a web called something like secretgarden.cz) got busted and the cops found my address in his records or something. The cop could not spell "Knights of the Old Republic" so I ended up typing most of the protocol on a shitty old typewriter for him (that was in 2003 or thereabouts). After that it was just torrents all the way.

It was my impression that for about a decade and a half, most people only got original/none-pirated games from the gaming magazines.

Jó, to bejvávaly časy - já si tedy předplácel Excalibur, Score jsem kupoval spíš jen když měli nějakou dobrou plnou verzi na CD. Všech těch starejch časáků mám furt doma hromadu ve skříni.

Jinak z český produkce jsme měl hodně rád Operation Flashpoint, Vietcong, Original War, Paranoia (to byla stará CZ kopie Duny II) i ta Mafia byla docela fajn. Když jsem byl hodně malej, tak jsem taky dost hrál český adventury (Agent Mlíčňák, Tajemství oslího ostrova, Ve stínu havrana atp.). Jinak KCD je taky fajn.

Is there a Czech (voiced) version of Oblivion? If yes, could someone make an LP?

Doubt it. There was a phenomenal (unofficial) Czech voiceover for Doom though (Imps called you a fagot while doing melee attacks and such), but I couldn’t find any videos of it online.
I totally remember the Annonce newspaper pirate adds. That is just... from a different world or idk where we had used to live :D

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom