Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mass Effect Legendary Edition remaster trilogy

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
It's funny how the old Codex decried ME as BioWare's herald of decline and the loss of yet another RPG studio, yet now ME is regarded as soul, rofl.

bertram_tung

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
It's funny how the old Codex decried ME as BioWare's herald of decline and the loss of yet another RPG studio, yet now ME is regarded as soul, rofl.

it's just like how the left will look fondly back at donald trump in a few years once there is a new republican leader who is now deemed hitler 10.0 (like they did with george w bush or hitler 8.0)

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
We're talking about the graphics here, not the gameplay or story. ME1 was quite pretty and stylish for its time, good artists there.

Also, it has "soul" in comparison with the remaster. That's true even if you shit on the original.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Kids who played Mass Effect are now 14 years older. :) These former kids also consider Dragon Age: Origins a classic. Lot of things are great when you're young.

mogwaimon

Magister
I don't understand why it happens so much. A quick glance and you can see it's worse than the original, surely they understand this and wouldn't release it in such a sorry state to make some cash, right?
1366_2000.jpg

:negative:
What happened there?
Consoles I guess. Many PC versions from X360 / PS3 era (especially at the end) had much, much better visuals than the consoles to the point that PS4 and X1 couldn't handle them.

And Arkham City was fucking gorgeous on PC. One of the best looking UE3 games.

you can't blame consoles entirely though. I did Arkham Asylum and City on Xbox 360 before I did them on PC and they didn't look near as bad as that remaster side, or half the pictures in the comparison video linked by KVVRR. Just lazy bullshit as usual like with the Dark Souls 'remaster'. Surely the current gen consoles could handle a straight port of the Arkham series if it was done right on the 360 like 10 years ago, yea?

Larianshill

Arbiter
You know, I was sitting recently and thinking about Mass Effect, when it suddenly hit me how absolutely disjointed this trilogy is. In the terms of tone, definitely - Mass Effect 1 has the tone of an epic space opera, while Mass Effect 2 is very gritty, and Mass Effect 3 is trying to be a war movie. Nobody ever swore in Mass Effect 1, a character like Jack could not exist there. But it's more than that - let's take a character like Harbringer, for example. He's set up to be Shepard's personal enemy in part 2, even a foil to him in some way - a face for the Reaper threat. In Mass Effect 3, he's entirely absent except for the cameo at the end. His role is, instead, taken by the Illusive Man.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
We know of the disjointed nature of the ME trilogy since it's probably the most analyzed video game series in existence, for better or worse. Yes, even more analyzed than PoE1. It's a shame ME isn't as good as it could've been. I know hindsight is 20/20, but I wouldn't have written the Reapers plot at all tbh, that's the main reason it's so disjointed.

Akratus II

Savant
Patron
You know, I was sitting recently and thinking about Mass Effect, when it suddenly hit me how absolutely disjointed this trilogy is. In the terms of tone, definitely - Mass Effect 1 has the tone of an epic space opera, while Mass Effect 2 is very gritty, and Mass Effect 3 is trying to be a war movie. Nobody ever swore in Mass Effect 1, a character like Jack could not exist there. But it's more than that - let's take a character like Harbringer, for example. He's set up to be Shepard's personal enemy in part 2, even a foil to him in some way - a face for the Reaper threat. In Mass Effect 3, he's entirely absent except for the cameo at the end. His role is, instead, taken by the Illusive Man.
Mass Effect is the most interesting game series for me because to me the concept is perfect. It's basically the only games that ever got the feeling of being the hero in an epic adventure movie right. They got the concept right and then they fucked up all of the details. If New Vegas era Obsidian did the trilogy shit I'd've played it a hundred times over.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
It occurs to me that this might be because the series reflects the time it was made in quite heavily. The original was developed when the last shows influenced by the revival of Star Trek were ending, and before the seventh generation of consoles made everything in the west be gritty. 2, by comparison, there's no sci-fi on TV, we're in the middle of "real is brown" games. Frankly, I don't really remember 2011 much, but I'm sure something convinced them that was a good idea.
Of course, I could be wrong, but I don't see why you'd hire TV actors like Claudia Black or Yvonne Strahovski if you weren't getting your creative juices following by watching TV.

Ravielsk

Magister
It occurs to me that this might be because the series reflects the time it was made in quite heavily. The original was developed when the last shows influenced by the revival of Star Trek were ending, and before the seventh generation of consoles made everything in the west be gritty. 2, by comparison, there's no sci-fi on TV, we're in the middle of "real is brown" games. Frankly, I don't really remember 2011 much, but I'm sure something convinced them that was a good idea.
Of course, I could be wrong, but I don't see why you'd hire TV actors like Claudia Black or Yvonne Strahovski if you weren't getting your creative juices following by watching TV.

Yes, Mass effect 1 is effectively part of a different series as the main writer was replaced for 2 and 3 (he kept some advisory role but had no real influence over the writing). In fact Mass Effect 2 is less a sequel and more a reboot as it basically retreads a lot of plot points from the first game but... in a more gritty way. Shepard if effectively reset back to being a "tolerated operative", the council is again pretending the reapers are a fairy tail and basically the whole plot is about nothing more than just confirming that yes, indeed the reapers are coming. In terms of actual plot progression nothing of note actually happens in the main ME2 story, only the DLC much later after release actually added some bare bones plot development(by recycling the base premise of ME1 again but still).

This is also why ME3 literary jumps right away to the reaper invasion and has you basically "gather the troops" while Earth is burning because its a third final act to a story that skipped the middle part.

Ravielsk

Magister
Does this make ME2 the Last Jedi of the series?

Yes and no. It makes the same baseline mistake of trying to reset the story at the mid point but unlike TLJ it actually has some redeeming qualities. The shooting is genuinely better, the characters are for the most part more interesting(although bullshit at times) and... well thats pretty much it but you get the point. ME2 structurally changes the trilogy into a quadrilogy but Bioware was either too lazy or contractually bound to deliver three games. Either way for all the good it did momentarily it fucked the series in the long term.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
This is also why ME3 literary jumps right away to the reaper invasion and has you basically "gather the troops"
Every Bioware game summed up. Collect them all!

To collect them, you must go to these different locations, one per McGuffin to collect. Sometimes the McGuffin is one part of an item you need to assemble, other times you need to unite all the clans, but then they realized that to make it more emoshunal, the things to collect should be the members of your team. ME2 went all in on this, and the whole game is about missions to recruit team members, one each, and then individual missions to gain each one's trust. I didn't play ME3, but I'm not surprised they copy-pasted the same design again.

Akratus II

Savant
Patron

Yes and no. It makes the same baseline mistake of trying to reset the story at the mid point but unlike TLJ it actually has some redeeming qualities. The shooting is genuinely better, the characters are for the most part more interesting(although bullshit at times) and... well thats pretty much it but you get the point. ME2 structurally changes the trilogy into a quadrilogy but Bioware was either too lazy or contractually bound to deliver three games. Either way for all the good it did momentarily it fucked the series in the long term.
Also, I have a lot of trouble with the writing in all three games, ME1 somewhat less so, but in ME2, putting the main quest aside it's actually got quite a nice amount of decent missions. Pretty predictable for the most part but were else am I going to get this kind of vicarious space opera stuff? It made it extra dissapointing in ME3 when they included way fewer characters and side-missions. God these games suck so much. It's a house of shit built on a solid foundation and it's just sad to see.

Codex Year of the Donut
ME3 does not have you "gather the troops"
In fact, it's possible for you to have your entire squad at the very start of the game depending on choices you made in ME1 and ME2 and don't have the Javik DLC.

Codex Year of the Donut

Also, I have a lot of trouble with the writing in all three games, ME1 somewhat less so, but in ME2, putting the main quest aside it's actually got quite a nice amount of decent missions. Pretty predictable for the most part but were else am I going to get this kind of vicarious space opera stuff? It made it extra dissapointing in ME3 when they included way fewer characters and side-missions. God these games suck so much. It's a house of shit built on a solid foundation and it's just sad to see.
ME2 suffered from having so many characters, many of them barely got any involvement at all -- look at Legion, easily one of the most interesting characters in the series but barely gets any screentime in ME2 because he gets recruited so late. He gets fleshed out more in ME3 than ME2 despite not even being a companion.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom