Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic Remake from Saber Interactive

PulsatingBrain

Huge and Ever-Growing
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Wasn't there some news story about the new people running Star Wars hating the old fans? A new KotOR might be exactly what you don't want

ekrolo2

Learned
Why are people so eager for a new KotOR game? It won't be a sequel to KotOR 2 and will be built from Disneys garbage canon as well. A new KotOR game is almost guaranteed to just be a lobotomized remake of KotOR 1, like The Force Awakens was of A New Hope.

Can't we just let KotOR rest in peace?

:prosper:
It's the 2010s/2020s, nothing is allowed to rest in peace.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Why are people so eager for a new KotOR game? It won't be a sequel to KotOR 2 and will be built from Disneys garbage canon as well. A new KotOR game is almost guaranteed to just be a lobotomized remake of KotOR 1, like The Force Awakens was of A New Hope.

Can't we just let KotOR rest in peace?

:prosper:
Because there is a chance of being decent. Also kotor means that it will be set in the old republic,which is like 100 times a better setting than original star wars.

Xelocix

Learned
Because there is a chance of being decent. Also kotor means that it will be set in the old republic,which is like 100 times a better setting than original star wars.

A new KotOR game won't take place during the EU's Old Republic era, they'd probably just set it during the "High Republic" era Disney announced last year. Even if it actually does take place during the Old Republic it'll be vastly different from the era that you know and love.

SpaceWizardz

Liturgist
A new KotOR game won't take place during the EU's Old Republic era, they'd probably just set it during the "High Republic" era Disney announced last year.
Sith Empire is already dead and gone by the time of High Republic, I don't think that's something they can even retcon since it's established from a line in the Prequel movies.
Old Republic/Tales of the Jedi EU has already been deleted, reintroducing the part people want with KOTOR and keeping it separated from the other eras like it previously was doesn't hurt them in any way.

Latelistener

Arcane
I don't care much about Star Wars, so can somebody explain to me with what Old Republic (the setting) was replaced if it's not canon anymore? Maybe they're making a reboot.

I'm still confused with Mandalorian (TV series) though. They were already on decline in KotOR I and II and there were no mentions of them in any of the episodes and yet we have a bunch of orders of them between episodes 6 and 7. How did this happen?

Dodo1610

Arcane
The High Republic can't replace Knights of the Old Republic since those are two completely different stories: the High Republic is a prequel to the prequel movies: It is about the "good old days" when the Jedi were the protectors of a mostly peaceful galaxy. Kotor is about the ancient wars between the republic and the Sith empire.

I don't care much about Star Wars, so can somebody explain to me with what Old Republic (the setting) was replaced if it's not canon anymore? Maybe they're making a reboot.

I'm still confused with Mandalorian (TV series) though. They were already on decline in KotOR I and II and there were no mentions of them in any of the episodes and yet we have a bunch of orders of them between episodes 6 and 7. How did this happen?

Well, that's because The Mandalorian is actually a spin-off for the Clone Wars and Rebels animated series where they play a much bigger role there.

Last edited:

ColaWerewolf

Educated
can somebody explain to me with what Old Republic (the setting) was replaced if it's not canon anymore? Maybe they're making a reboot.
It's not been replaced, they merely scavenged the corpse and cherry-picked what ideas they liked while discarding the detritus. Revan is canon, but only that he was a Sith lord. Malachor "V" is canon, but altered substantially. It met an apocalyptic end just like in Kotor II, but it wasn't triggered by the mass shadow generator. Instead some Sith killed all life on the planet after the Jedi invaded.

Names of people and places exist in the canon but they're completely unrelated to the events that happened in the kotor games. The canon Darth Revan has nothing to do with the PC in kotor. George likes taking names and character designs from EU and making something completely new with them, evidenced by the fact that his original idea for a sequel trilogy was to have Darth Maul and Darth Talon (originally from an EU comic set millennia in the future of RotJ) as villains. It was also Lucas' idea to introduce a Darth Bane and Darth Revan in Clone Wars, but only Darth Bane made that cut, with Revan being made canon later when a reborn Palpatine named one of his fleets after him.

This is also why they can't make a reboot. It makes no sense why Palpatine would tribute Darth Revan if he went light-side in kotor. It makes no sense why Malachor is full of fossilized corpses if it blew up in kotor 2. It would have to be a completely new story, which would just create massive butthurt from all sides so they'll never do it.

TLDR; there will never be a canon KOTOR reboot, and that's a good thing!

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Tc,the only good thing that came out of the whole starwars franchise was the kotor setting. If that is gone,then there is no point in caring about that garbage.

Testownia

can somebody explain to me with what Old Republic (the setting) was replaced if it's not canon anymore? Maybe they're making a reboot.
It's not been replaced, they merely scavenged the corpse and cherry-picked what ideas they liked while discarding the detritus. Revan is canon, but only that he was a Sith lord. Malachor "V" is canon, but altered substantially. It met an apocalyptic end just like in Kotor II, but it wasn't triggered by the mass shadow generator. Instead some Sith killed all life on the planet after the Jedi invaded.

Names of people and places exist in the canon but they're completely unrelated to the events that happened in the kotor games. The canon Darth Revan has nothing to do with the PC in kotor. George likes taking names and character designs from EU and making something completely new with them, evidenced by the fact that his original idea for a sequel trilogy was to have Darth Maul and Darth Talon (originally from an EU comic set millennia in the future of RotJ) as villains. It was also Lucas' idea to introduce a Darth Bane and Darth Revan in Clone Wars, but only Darth Bane made that cut, with Revan being made canon later when a reborn Palpatine named one of his fleets after him.

This is also why they can't make a reboot. It makes no sense why Palpatine would tribute Darth Revan if he went light-side in kotor. It makes no sense why Malachor is full of fossilized corpses if it blew up in kotor 2. It would have to be a completely new story, which would just create massive butthurt from all sides so they'll never do it.

TLDR; there will never be a canon KOTOR reboot, and that's a good thing!

Sorry, I can't agree with you here. The Old Republic Era as we know it is all but officially canonised by Disney. Also, you're mixing up MALACHOR and MALACHOR V. Both have been mentioned in Disney canon, though the latter is somewhat sneaked in within a companion piece to Rebels, which most people missed. Though yes, they are two different planets within the same system, or rather "were", since Malachor V was completely destroyed.

As far as I can tell, so far Disney has been rather erring on the side of accepting the Old Republic Era as canon as is.

Testownia

Here's a few concrete references:

• Star Wars Rebels has heavily referenced the Mandalorian Wars, which were a core element of KotOR. Mandalorian Rally Master armor is glimpsed in Solo: A Star Wars Story, as part of Dryden Vos' collection.
  • Legends introduced the Sith homeworld of Korriban, but for The Clone Wars, George Lucas decided to rename it "Moraband." George Mann's Star Wars: Myths & Fables officially confirms that it used to be called Korriban, making that old name canon once again.
  • Ancient Sith masks from KotOR have been re-canonized, playing a minor role in Chuck Wendig's Aftermath trilogy, where he revealed that they can become conduits of the dark side and affect even non-Force-users who wear them. This idea was further developed by Charles Soule in his Darth Vader series, where the Sith heretic Darth Momin managed to transfer his essence into the masks.
  • KotOR featured Czerka Corporation as an ancient arms company that had played a prominent role in the Old Republic. Claudia Gray's novel Master & Apprentice confirmed that Czerka exists in the canon, and is still both active and treacherous in the Prequel Era.
  • The KotOR games exploited the idea of Sithspawn, savage creatures altered by Sith alchemy. One of these appeared in Cavan Scott's audiobook Dooku: Jedi Lost.
  • Kath Hounds were low-level enemies in KotOR, and they were mentioned in Delilah S. Dawson's novel Phasma.
  • Meanwhile, other Sith from ancient history have been mentioned in Disney canon, including Darth Andeddu and Exar Kun. Both are important characters in the old EU, and have so far only been subtly referenced in Disney canon. The obsidian stone of Dryden Vos' desk in Solo: A Star Wars Story was supposedly plundered from the Temple of Exar Kun, which may well mean his canon backstory is the same as in Legends, where he was responsible for constructing the Massassi Temples of Yavin 4.
  • Jason Aaron's Star Wars comics mentioned "the Hundred Years' Darkness," a key event in galactic history in Legends, where the Sith ruled.
  • The Hellish, dark side world of Malachor V was introduced in KotOR II: The Sith Lords, and it played a prominent role in Star Wars Rebels; it was home to a Sith weapon known as the Mass Shadow Generator, which was name-dropped in Disney canon in The Rebel Files. Another KotOR world, Taris, briefly appeared in Chuck Wendig's Aftermath novel.
  • The Hammerhead Cruisers seen in Star Wars Rebels and Rogue One: A Star Wars Story were clearly based on KotOR designs, although advanced substantially.
  • Cavan Scott's audiobook Dooku: Jedi Lost included a throwaway reference to "Bogan," an ancient name for the dark side of the Force in Legends.
  • Amusingly, even dialogue from KotOR has made its way into Disney canon - for example, in Chuck Wendig's Aftermath trilogy the slang term "meatbag" is used by ill-tempered battle droids to describe humans. That was a favorite term of Darth Revan's Hunter-Killer droid in KotOR.

5l47jek7xt711.jpg

ColaWerewolf

Educated
I don't have much investment in this argument but since you've given me ammo for my own point I might as well use it.
The Hellish, dark side world of Malachor V was introduced in KotOR II: The Sith Lords, and it played a prominent role in Star Wars Rebels

If it played a prominent role in Star Wars Rebels, then that means Malachor V is Malachor from Star Wars Rebels.
If we want to get really pedantic, I'd argue that the naming convention would be Malachor = Sun; Malachor I, II, III etc. = planets; Malachor Ia, Ib, Ic etc. = moons. They obviously just dropped the numerals, since the Malachor we see in Rebels is categorically not a sun.
it was home to a Sith weapon known as the Mass Shadow Generator
This also proves it. They changed the MSG to be a Sith weapon (that Darth Tanis triggered to wipe out life on the planet). If they followed Kotor2 lore surely it would've been a Republic weapon. Also notice the use of Malachor as a "home" to the MSG. This verbiage makes a lot more sense when describing the superweapon shown in Star Wars Rebels, shaped like a Sith temple and capable of being re-used indefinitely, based purposefully on Malachor and built to last. Considering that the MSG in kotor2 was designed specifically to destroy the planet, it makes little sense to call it a "home" to anything.

It's not such a surprising thing. As I mentioned, George also took the name and design of Darth Talon from the EU and wanted to completely refurbish the character into something else for the sequel trilogy. Names and designs from EU get introduced in canon constantly, just without the lore behind them. Some examples you've missed:
  • The tach (the monkeys you find in the Shadowlands of kotor1) show up in Jedi: Fallen Order, high above in the tree-scape.
  • "Surik's Blade" is a term Jedi use in the High Republic.
But it's all fluff and dogwhistles. All it realistically confirms is that there was once a Jedi named Surik that left a lasting impression on the Jedi order. Eventually they'll run out of ideas and bring back the Star Forge as a plot hook, and it will no doubt be quite different from its kotor1 counterpart. Just like how Malachor and the Krayt Dragons are different from what was shown in KOTOR and Star Wars Galaxies.

Imagine having feelings of nostalgia for KOTOR1, and I say that as someone who has invested an insane amount of time consuming pre-Disney EU media. KOTOR1 is one of the most anodyne bits of the whole EU; sure nothing is as pants-on-head retarded as most of what went on in The New Republic era, but it's all just so fucking bland.

Not to mention Bioware took an actually interesting take on the setting (Dark Horse's Old Republic) and turned it into... the same exact setting as the prequels.

I don't know if this is current canon, but in the old EU Old Republic Mandalorians were an actual "species" that were extinct by the time of the movies. The Mandalorians in the movies were a cult/religion of largely (entirely?) human warriors who had discovered and adopted the tenets and ethos of the extinct race. They're basically the Neutral alignment version of the Sith.

Testownia

I don't have much investment in this argument but since you've given me ammo for my own point I might as well use it.
The Hellish, dark side world of Malachor V was introduced in KotOR II: The Sith Lords, and it played a prominent role in Star Wars Rebels
If it played a prominent role in Star Wars Rebels, then that means Malachor V is Malachor from Star Wars Rebels.
If we want to get really pedantic, I'd argue that the naming convention would be Malachor = Sun; Malachor I, II, III etc. = planets; Malachor Ia, Ib, Ic etc. = moons. They obviously just dropped the numerals, since the Malachor we see in Rebels is categorically not a sun.
it was home to a Sith weapon known as the Mass Shadow Generator
This also proves it. They changed the MSG to be a Sith weapon (that Darth Tanis triggered to wipe out life on the planet). If they followed Kotor2 lore surely it would've been a Republic weapon. Also notice the use of Malachor as a "home" to the MSG. This verbiage makes a lot more sense when describing the superweapon shown in Star Wars Rebels, shaped like a Sith temple and capable of being re-used indefinitely, based purposefully on Malachor and built to last. Considering that the MSG in kotor2 was designed specifically to destroy the planet, it makes little sense to call it a "home" to anything.

It's not such a surprising thing. As I mentioned, George also took the name and design of Darth Talon from the EU and wanted to completely refurbish the character into something else for the sequel trilogy. Names and designs from EU get introduced in canon constantly, just without the lore behind them. Some examples you've missed:
  • The tach (the monkeys you find in the Shadowlands of kotor1) show up in Jedi: Fallen Order, high above in the tree-scape.
  • "Surik's Blade" is a term Jedi use in the High Republic.
But it's all fluff and dogwhistles. All it realistically confirms is that there was once a Jedi named Surik that left a lasting impression on the Jedi order. Eventually they'll run out of ideas and bring back the Star Forge as a plot hook, and it will no doubt be quite different from its kotor1 counterpart. Just like how Malachor and the Krayt Dragons are different from what was shown in KOTOR and Star Wars Galaxies.

You don't understand, I'm afraid. What we see in Rebels is MALACHOR, not MALACHOR V. We literally can't see the latter, since the corpse of the planet has been destroyed in KOTOR II, where the Light Side ending is canon. Also, the fossilised corpses are remnants of a Jedi-Sith war, not a Jedi-Mandalorian war. Same system, different planet, different conflict.

ColaWerewolf

Educated
You don't understand, I'm afraid. What we see in Rebels is MALACHOR, not MALACHOR V. We literally can't see the latter, since the corpse of the planet has been destroyed in KOTOR II, where the Light Side ending is canon. Also, the fossilised corpses are remnants of a Jedi-Sith war, not a Jedi-Mandalorian war. Same system, different planet, different conflict.
Testownia said:
The Hellish, dark side world of Malachor V was introduced in KotOR II: The Sith Lords, and it played a prominent role in Star Wars Rebels; it was home to a Sith weapon known as the Mass Shadow Generator
I'm just going by what you're telling me. Stop giving me mixed signals, you're not my girlfriend. But alright, you want to know the real autistic reason why I belabor the point? It really fucks with me that you'd imply one planet is named fuckbitch 5, but another planet is named just fuckbitch, not even fuckbitch 1. Why is fuckbitch so fucking special that it doesn't even need a numeral but all the other planets do, they're all just fuckbitches.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
I'm still confused with Mandalorian (TV series) though. They were already on decline in KotOR I and II and there were no mentions of them in any of the episodes and yet we have a bunch of orders of them between episodes 6 and 7. How did

Kreia explained this at the end of Kotor2.

"They will die a death that lasts millennia, until all that remains is their code, their history; and in the end the shell of their armour upon a shell of a man, too easily slain by Jedi."

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

https://www.pcgamesn.com/star-wars-knights-of-the-old-republic/remake

The best Star Wars game is reportedly getting a remake
kotor-remake-580x334.jpg

There are a lot of contenders for the crown when it comes to the best Star Wars games, like Empire at War, Stellaris, and Civilization 6. But with apologies to Joe’s now-venerable gag about the best interactive adventures in the galaxy far, far away, the actual best Star Wars game is Knights of the Old Republic, and rumours of a remake have just gotten a lot more solid.

These rumours go back a few months. In a ResetEra thread speculating on a potential KOTOR remake, game industry insider Jason Schreier suggested that “nobody is going to guess” the developer of such a project correctly. And as VGC reported in January, Star Wars insider Bespin Bulletin backed up the idea that a Knights of the Old Republic project is in development.

Asked about the KOTOR in a MinnMax interview this week, Schreier confirms that “there is something there. It’s real.” Later in the interview, Schreier also says that Aspyr is the studio behind this remake. Aspyr has predominantly been known as a port house, and has handled Mac and mobile versions of KOTOR in the past, as well as more recent console versions of classic Star Wars titles including Episode I – Racer, Jedi Academy, and Republic Commando.

You can see the interview for yourself below, with the relevant bits at the 2:31 and 58:30 marks.

The thing Schreier’s comments don’t really address is the scope of this reimagined KOTOR – is it actually a full remake, or more of a limited-scope remaster? Either way, the new Lucasfilm Games initiative appears to be paying dividends already, with an open-world Star Wars game in development at Ubisoft, and an apparent willingness to revisit some of the most beloved entries in the old canon. And honestly, a Knights of the High Republic-themed follow-up wouldn’t be so bad, either.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Prediction:
They are going to ditch char-gen and DnD system in favor of a fixed character - canonical Revan, voiced and mocaped by Keanu Reeves.

edit. This is not a joke, Revan in SWTOR looks just like Reeves and the fandom has been fancasting him to portrait live-action Revan for years.

Last edited:

bat_boro

Arcane
Moral bankruptcy in this shit industry has now been widely established. Creative bankruptcy is what we're witnessing now, with KOTOR, Mass Effect, TLoU remakes, as well as all of the other shit ports, remasters and remakes. I sincerely hope financial bankruptcy is what follows next, please God, please make it so

The Dutch Ghost

Arbiter
Moral bankruptcy in this shit industry has now been widely established. Creative bankruptcy is what we're witnessing now, with KOTOR, Mass Effect, TLoU remakes, as well as all of the other shit ports, remasters and remakes. I sincerely hope financial bankruptcy is what follows next, please God, please make it so

I honestly would not mind some drastic upheavals in the gaming industry, some publishers taking some severe financial setbacks or a massive exodus of talent, or anything that would really hurt the triple A industry that is caused by their own actions, but I don't see that coming any time soon.
Still too much casual audience that will continue to support them.

So far the only way I see the casual audience cutting back on supporting the major publishers is because they develop different interests, or have to focus instead on life essentials and having limited luxury spending.

Creative bankruptcy has already been a thing for more than a decade now.

Is Ubisoft a RPG company? Based on their last releases I can smell some sort of a mashup between FarCry with Assasins Creed so we will get an open world Jedi Academy type game with some simple dialog options set in the Older Republic timeline, but even that seems too ambitious to be possible.

Pretty certain that if such a title was made that it would not be set in the new High Republic era Disney Marvel has been trying to sell to the audience.
Never mind that the High Republic is not the major seller that Disney wants it to be, perhaps also because it is something created by a development team rather than some creative writers and artists who simply would like to take Star Wars into another direction.

wahrk

Learned
Aspyr? I guess that makes sense considering they’ve been doing the mobile ports and updates. It seems unlikely that they’d be the ones to do a full-blown remake though. Maybe it will just be a touch-up remaster after all.

edit: looked back through the thread and saw Aspyr has been hiring and supposedly has a big budget project. Sounds like it will be remake/reboot then.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom