Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News New KotOR incoming

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Aspyr Media; Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic - Remake

Apparently, the rumors are true. In a video interview with the MinMaxxShow, Aspyr is working on a new Knights of the Old Republic. Here's the full video:

This should be interesting to see. The original was fun at the time and a nice change of pace from straight up generic elves and goblins games, but it certainly didn't age well.

Spotted at Blue's News

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
Are you guys ready to romance hot chicks like her!?

1575134182391.jpg

Butter

Arcane
Patron
What are the odds it will use anything as mystifying and esoteric as a d20 ruleset? Expect DA:I with lightsabers.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
The original didn't age well? Haven't played it since it came out and was planning to give it another spin. What aspect of it is dated?

An example - a year ago I tried to replay New Vegas but I just couldn't. The writing, world and vibe were still great but the combat was p. much unbearable. The old Bethesda technology was barely tolerable at launch but today...I just couldn't. And considering how much combat there is in New Vegas I wrapped it up after like 3 hours or so.

I remember when Kotor 2 came I expected Kotor 3 to be right around the corner :( I even remember having a dream about it back in the day.
I am not excited about new game :( I would love new Kotor to be good but the odds are so stacked against it :( It will most likely be a dumbed down mainstream papamole game.

Tigranes

Arcane
The original didn't age well? Haven't played it since it came out and was planning to give it another spin. What aspect of it is dated?

An example - a year ago I tried to replay New Vegas but I just couldn't. The writing, world and vibe were still great but the combat was p. much unbearable. The old Bethesda technology was barely tolerable at launch but today...I just couldn't. And considering how much combat there is in New Vegas I wrapped it up after like 3 hours or so.

It was always a bad game, with boring combat, camera & controls that run away max speed from any tacticals, largely meaningless exploration in mushy corridors, and a general lack of interesting mechanics around anything. We all played it because (1) Star Wars, (2) Bio was still supposed to be an RPG company, and (3) there wasn't exactly a lot of other stuff, and it wasn't yet quite conclusive to everybody that the turn to cinematic/3D would be completely irredeemable trash.

Anyway, guaranteed that this game will be crap mechanically, and that most of the Codex posts will just obsess about whether it has women and what colour hair they have or whatever

JDR13

Arcane
It was always a bad game, with boring combat, camera & controls that run away max speed from any tacticals, largely meaningless exploration in mushy corridors, and a general lack of interesting mechanics around anything. We all played it because (1) Star Wars, (2) Bio was still supposed to be an RPG company, and (3) there wasn't exactly a lot of other stuff, and it wasn't yet quite conclusive to everybody that the turn to cinematic/3D would be completely irredeemable trash.

This post will elicit a lot of butthurt, but it's 100% true.

Skdursh

Savant
KotOR was kind of total garbage. I can't think of anything I liked about the game. KotOR 2 was still pretty shit mechanically, but the story was solid though. Became thoroughly playable once the modders came around to fix how absolutely broken it was leaving Obsidian's hands.

What I'm trying to say is that this is going to be a polished turd at best.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
A KotOR remake needs combat that isn't shit.
I've only played the sequel, but if memory serves, that wasn't exactly thrilling in the combat department. I'm not understanding why some people are finding it mystifying that nobody cares for that aspect. Either way, I doubt a remake will have better combat. I doubt a mobile studio is going to come up with something that's more involved than damage sponges.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Quality doesn't age. KotOR games are classics and some of the last good RPGs of the Renaissance era.

Let's see, it takes way too long to get the ship and get off the first planet, though KotOR 2's starting/tutorial area is much larger and worse. The combat isn't nearly as good as I remembered. In fact, it's pretty crappy. The interface, being one of the first CRPGs made for both console and PC, is more cumbersome than modern ones. I really didn't like the minigames in KotOR and they were manditory as they were worked in to the storyline.

That said, I have fairly fond memories of both it and the sequel when they first came out. I just tried playing them recently and they didn't hook me like they did the first time through, but I played both of them through twice when they came out.

eilef

Educated
I have no faith in Disney, or this studio. The only thing Disney showed us - is that they are going to milk and butcher SW universe, and spoil and twist everything we liked. They failed miserably with the new “High Republic” era, and now trying to destroy what is left of old canon.

I hope that this game will never see the light of day, and will drown in development stage. Say what you want about KOTOR, but it does not deserve to be tarnished by the likes of EA, Disney and woke changes that will surely be forced in the game.

The only thing i want Disney to do with Kotor, is to release Kotor 3 Avellone script. I want to know how it was supposed to end.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I doubt a mobile studio

They aren't a mobile studio. They were originally founded to port Windows games to macOS. They branched out to porting games to iOS, Android, Linux, and consoles.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom