Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Share your "I am not playing" list

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I like most genres and can enjoy even sub-par games if they do something interesting.

But there are some genres/subgenres I just have zero interest in:
- MMORPGs; I played World of Warcraft back in 2006 and quit after three weeks, then later tried some of those free to play Korean MMOs, all of them with friends... but not even playing with friends made the huge investment of time worth it, you HAVE to play the game every day or everyone you know will out-level you, it always starts feeling like a second office job after you come home rather than a relaxing hobby to spend time with when you feel like it
- JRPGs; the linearity and cutscene-heaviness just puts me off, in most of them you spend 80% of your time watching your characters do stuff that's completely out of your control. If I buy a game, I wanna play it. If I want to watch something I'll get a movie instead.
- In a similar vein, anything that puts a focus on the "cinematic" experience like the God of War series or Uncharted. I have zero interest in a restrictively linear cutscene-fest.
- Visual novels. Same reason. They just don't have enough gameplay compared to the amount of cutscene/dialogue dumps thrown onto you.

Silentstorm

Learned
I treat Visual Novels as just disguised books...or comic books in a way and with sound, but yeah, never really understood cinematic games, why pay 60 bucks for a game that is mostly cutscenes?

Yes, RPG's have a lot of plot and dialogue, but at least you can choose what your character says and do more stuff, same with adventure games where they would also give you some puzzles to do, any action game that ends up being mostly QTE's or any game that feels like 90% of it is a cutscene just...doesn't interest me.

But it's what developers think is required to advance games as an art form or whatever...by ripping off movies and taking away the main thing about video games, that they are interactive and you are in control of the action in some way, funny how many artsy developers seem to hate the idea of interactivity though.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
I actively avoid all open world games that are not rpgs.
Those games tend to heavily feature quantity of quality, with many copy and paste quests and other busywork timewasters. It needs a really strong draw in story or setting to get me to play one of those, as Ghost of Tsushima had for example.
I have no interest in all non-arcade games that do not feature combat. Realistic racing games, sports games, truck simulators and so on are all lost to me. Arcade racers/sports games are fine.
I also have no interest in any single player shooters made after Half Life 2 Episode 2.
I do not play looter shooters or MMOs.

Apart from that I play everything, from Visual Novels, Adventure games, real Adventure games (point & click), Strategy, Tactics, Management, card games, RPGs and JRPGs, action games and whatever else.
All of the genres I do not play just strike me as a bad deal from a time-entertainment ratio. With how broad my taste is the most important thing a game has to offer for me to care for it is high enjoyment per hour played, or a unique experience I can't get from another genre. All genres above fail at that for me.

Last edited:

Neki

Scholar
Any MMOs
Visual novels with no stats
Any modern ubisoft game

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I have never been able to work up enough enthusiasm for any of Jeff Vogel/Spiderweb's games.

I briefly tried Exile, but found the combat underwhelming.
In addition the games are said to have poor encounter design.

And I get the impression they can't compete with the Might&Magic games when it comes to exploration.
And not with the Ultima games when it comes to talking-to-NPCs-and-travel-all-over-the-map-to-piece-together-the-clues gameplay.

And story I don't care about.

In addition the remakes of remakes racket really turns me off.

Eirinjas

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex
No MMORPGs. They are all boring, grindy, and life-absorbing, with nothing of value for people who value their time.

Blizzard sucks - last game I played was Diablo 2. Diablo 2 was a step down from Diablo. Completely lost interest in Diablo 3 the moment I saw the change in art direction.

EA sucks - last game I played was Dragon Age: Origins. Too much filler in DA:O. Could have cut half the game and been a better experience. The whole Mass Effect series looks like hot garbage.

Ubisoft sucks - last game I played was Might & Magic X. The Anno games look interesting, but have not played. Assassins Creed series looks to have been focus-grouped to appeal specifically to faggots.

The vast majority of JRPGs are shit, so I don't even pay attention to that market anymore.

Mostly, it seems newshit games from bigger studios are all faggoty and lame, so I mostly play games from smaller devs, and older games I never got around to playing or finishing.

blessedCoffee

c3RyYWl0amFja2V0cyBmb3IgaW50ZXJuZXQgdXNlcnM=
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
  • Clash Royale

• Dance Dance Revolution

• Non-platformer (2D entries) Ninja Gaiden

• No Man Sky

Any point and click adventure game.

i've tried Kings Quest 1 remake, Grim Fandango and Discworld, i didn't see the appeal of walking around in circles for hours not knowing what to do to progress, pixel hunting and trying every item on every thing. One of the most tedious experiences i ever had with gaming.

The art, atmosphere, voice acting and music are nice and charming, and the story might be interesting but if i want to see that i would rather just watch a walkthrough on youtube instead.

The fun i had playing these games is trying new ways to die:

In games i like skill based challenge, where your goal is clear you just have to increase your efficiency with the game and master the mechanics to achieve it, most games are like that. The challenge i hate is 'figure it out', where there's only one or a couple of ways to progress but it's very obscure, no clue what you supposed to do, requires a lot of trial and error and backtracking/walking around, trying every thing, and just wasting a lot of time accomplishing nothing, this is the Point and click adventure type of challenge.

I hate puzzles in general, but puzzles can be about skill as well, like this game:

your goal is clear, nothing obscure, just need to master the mechanics.

Last edited:

Modron

Arcane
Elden Ring.
Anything published on pc by Sony, atrocious privacy/data gathering policies.

catfood

AGAIN
Way too many to list but when it comes to RPGs most modern (post-2010) ones, for example Pillows, Tyranny, BG3, Solasta, Pozfinder, all the Bethpizda and Biowhore shit obviously, etc. I played the Original Sin games and Wasteland 2 and that's enough modern RPG's for me. Shadorun Dragonfall was p. good tho.

Ash

Arcane
I like most genres and can enjoy even sub-par games if they do something interesting.

But there are some genres/subgenres I just have zero interest in:
- MMORPGs; I played World of Warcraft back in 2006 and quit after three weeks, then later tried some of those free to play Korean MMOs, all of them with friends... but not even playing with friends made the huge investment of time worth it, you HAVE to play the game every day or everyone you know will out-level you, it always starts feeling like a second office job after you come home rather than a relaxing hobby to spend time with when you feel like it
- JRPGs; the linearity and cutscene-heaviness just puts me off, in most of them you spend 80% of your time watching your characters do stuff that's completely out of your control. If I buy a game, I wanna play it. If I want to watch something I'll get a movie instead.
- In a similar vein, anything that puts a focus on the "cinematic" experience like the God of War series or Uncharted. I have zero interest in a restrictively linear cutscene-fest.
- Visual novels. Same reason. They just don't have enough gameplay compared to the amount of cutscene/dialogue dumps thrown onto you.
I also avoid these same genres or styles of game, except the one you're wrong about: JRPG - JRPGs are very broad. You get everything from blobbers w/ no cutscenes, RTw/P open world, ARPGs, tacticool RPG, and yeah, also storyfag lameness with zero gameplay value. I don't like a huge list of JRPGs, but those that I do I will cherish 'till the day I die. A hard requirement for me is no/minimal Animu art style and decent gameplay.

Anyway, here's my list:

1. RTS - Gameplay is a boring click-fest. "How fast can you click on things" while abusing the meta strategy is how I feel about the gameplay. However, it's possible I don't "get it" or never played a different type of RTS that is more to my taste (I've mostly only touched AoE and C&C).
2. Adventure & walking sim - minimalistic, boring gameplay.
3. Roguelike - I love rogueLITE, they're the complete opposite. Roguelike however is like text adventure but w/more interesting gameplay, except said gameplay is largely RNG that you have minimal control over. Luck-based games including gambling are for tools.
4. Puzzle - I like puzzles in absolutely all genres of game, but games exclusively dedicated only to puzzles absolutely are not any fun outside of short sessions.
5. Simulation games - The Sims, racing sims, farming sims, dating sims etc. These games strive to imitate real life and it is very telling that the only sims that existed back in the day was flight sims and space sims. THAT makes sense because it is something not-mundane and also not what the average joe will ever be able to do IRL. Otherwise just give me arcade racers, play as a jacked farmer with a shotgun, or send an eager girl my way IRL.
6. Modern games - obviously there's still good games, but most are dumbed down trash versions of older games without any value at all.
7. Shmup - boring, extremely basic, on rails, ugly. The only one I ever liked was G-Darius and even that isn't that good.

Last edited:

Gromlintroid

Learned
dcc3wCK.png

Still playing through the first Avadon on and off

Alan

Educated
I don't care much for violence these days. No guns, no attacking humanoid characters, no gore.

Also 2D side-scrollers make me claustrophobic. Linearity in general.

Puzzle games feel like a lot of work too.

Realistic or dark games are too depressing

Guess I'm waiting for mindless 3D adventures, cartoon RPGs and racing ware

Zlaja

Arcane
- Never played a single COD game (not even the old ones)
- Never played any 'Battle Royale'
- Never played any 'extraction shooter'

Used to play when younger, but not anymore:
- Racing games
- Sports games

Data4

Arcane
LoL or any sort of e-sport tower defense bullshit
Souls-likes
FPSes -- they all feel like corridor shooters to me. Last one I had any sort of fun with was Medal of Honor Allied Assault.
Battlefield and Battlefield-like games
Any game, regardless of genre, that pushes The Message™

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom