Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dwarf Fortress now on Steam with a graphical overhaul

SmartCheetah

Arcane
I wonder, is he fucking someone in the background or just swinging back and forth?

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
You should give it a shot now. Still no telling when the Steam version is released, and it could still be a while.

I don't mean I'm avoiding it altogether ^^; just got a million other thirngs I could focus on, even within roguelikes and colony sims, while waiting polish.

dehimos

Augur
Inspecting the details of your Dwarf Fortress https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/975370/view/4816004515020626335

Happy New Year!

The holidays have passed, though we've moved on to not exactly calm and workerly times. But we're mostly back to the game and can show you our in-progress Look command.

28ab9b9889580a0dc5e343fd4b53bfaedea7e6ae.png

We haven't had an artist pass on this dwarf view yet, but it's starting to come together! The old text version of Dwarf Fortress made it unnecessarily difficult to find information about dwarves and other game objects. Not only was the data hidden behind many (many) keypresses as you might expect, but it was also scattered through many different windows and screens. We're trying to bring it all together here. We might end up with more icons and less text as we go.

The tabs and overview boxes are still in flux but the screenshot here is where we are so far in-game. Between physical attributes, mental attributes, personality facets, and beliefs, the game picks the strongest or most unique six and displays them in the overview. You'll still be able to get at the full set of data within the tabs; the intent of these boxes is to answer simple questions and provide the best flavor and context. The same is true for items, skills, positions and the rest. The full data and options can be found in tabs, with a short summary at the top level.

We'll also be adding some of the missing options like camera follow and custom naming to the uppermost box.

The game can still run unpaused when this popup is displayed, so you can see e.g. the current job and thought list update in real-time. It's also pretty common to have multiple dwarves/creatures in a single tile, especially with pets tearing about and babies being held. Instead of the cumbersome 'Next' command, which is how we used to deal with this before, we have little tabs that pop up on the right side. If there are too many critters in a tile for right-side tabs to work (which doesn't happen often, but industrious players sometimes drop all of whomever in a narrow pit), clicking gives a scrollable list. The tabs also include items and buildings and engravings, with similar solutions for high object counts.

As a bonus, we have an image to put a cap on last month's winter video update, where I showed a small hallway that Zach had carved out for the coffins, but we didn't have the artwork added in at that time. Now we have the wooden caskets! And, um, the hallway got quite a bit longer... the open ones are unoccupied. Can't say the same for the closed ones.

55662b1eaba808e464aef94b6260e275c945a2b7.png

Talk to you again in 2 weeks!

- Tarn

2nDF1K.gif

He better speed it up, the way things are going in game development, Dwarf Fortress might have to replace the entire industry.

Narushima

Cipher
Up until he put patreon he lived in effectively some flat that looked like hovel and barely got by with bills.
That's not true, he made plenty of money from direct donations before Patreon, as can be seen from the old announcements on the forum.
The Patreon was launched in April of 2015, and while he generally earns more now, there are also some outliers, like July 2014, where he was given $15,273.52.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
Up until he put patreon he lived in effectively some flat that looked like hovel and barely got by with bills.
That's not true, he made plenty of money from direct donations before Patreon, as can be seen from the old announcements on the forum.
The Patreon was launched in April of 2015, and while he generally earns more now, there are also some outliers, like July 2014, where he was given $15,273.52.

Delve on RoyalRoad earns 15k$ a month. DF fans must be poor.

Mustawd

Rimworld ate DF's lunch. Adding a gui now is a decade too late.

How do you figure? My thoughts are that it opens his game up to a whole new market that isn't really into ASCII grafix but like the autism aspects of the game.

Unwanted

jcd

Punished JCD
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Bubbles In Memoria
I played both and the main difference is the scale. Rimworld is more focused on individuals, and each item has more value. In DF, you focus more on groups of dwarves with similar jobs (unless you want to read funny stuff, then you go into their inidividual thoughts etc). Trading in DF is usually done in bulk too.

thesecret1

Arcane
Rimworld ate DF's lunch. Adding a gui now is a decade too late.
I'd say that Rimworld had just shown just how popular DF can be if it gets a UI from this millenium

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom