Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Colony Ship Early Access Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Pladio

Educated
The goal isn't for you to be 100% evasive. So in essence you will need some armour anyway. Evasion will slowly go up, but if you tag it it will go up faster.
Overall, yes, if you want to evade more, you should get Evasion feats which will also increase your chances of levelling up the Evasion skill.

However, unlike AoD there is no need to do one and not the other.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
For example why my untagged armor skill goes up while my evasion taggued skill stays the same?
Skills grow with use and reflect your playstyle. To boost evasion, use smoke grenades, distortion field, even cover. I've seen way too many player builds with evasion 8-9 so it's more than doable.

Or is it that if I get hit armor goes up while if it's a miss evasion goes up?
Correct.

And critical strike goes up only when doing criticals?
Correct. Use weapons/attacks/feats that increase your CS chance to increase your CS skill. Your skills reflect how you play.

Momock

Augur
Dudes, your missing the point: it's RANDOM. Randomness is already bad, but in character creation or leveling it's CHAOTIC EVIL.

"Your skill progression reflects how you play.", ok, that's good and all. BUT... it doesn't have to be random, or does it?

Vault Dweller

Developer
Dudes, your missing the point: it's RANDOM. Randomness is already bad, but in character creation or leveling it's CHAOTIC EVIL.

"Your skill progression reflects how you play.", ok, that's good and all. BUT... it doesn't have to be random, or does it?
If players consistently raise evasion and critical strike by playing in a manner that favors these skills, it's not really random, is it?

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
I guess actual complain is about snowball effect of rng skills. Currently game is too slow for it to matter, might be worth looking into in future.

One thing I didnt check is whether there is a skill xp cap per enemy. As in can you farm dodge xp by leaving some easy, early fight be only to come back later with really nice DT armor and just stand there, skipping each turn? Possibly equip dagger to graze for 0 dmg and lvlup blade this way too?

Momock

Augur
If players consistently raise evasion and critical strike by playing in a manner that favors these skills, it's not really random, is it?
It totaly is random (you say it yourself: "Not really random", because you know that simply saying "It isn't random" would be a lie), and it's a even more blatant with a skill like critical strike that is hugely inconsistent in it's rising (it could be a lot or it could be zero, in the same combat, playing exactly the same actions) while at the same time the difference between two levels of the skill being the more significant of all of the combat ones (a single point makes the difference between a guy you can takedown and a guy you can't). As a result it asks from the player even more metagaming and quickloading than usual in your games, so that's saying something! :lol:

Spot beating a round the bush and fix it pleeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaase!!!*

*or not, I guess. I already bought the game, so my opinion hardly matters anymore, LOL!

I guess actual complain is about snowball effect of rng skills. Currently game is too slow for it to matter, might be worth looking into in future
There's that, but also le fact that if I want to squeeze all the learning points out of a fight I'm going to have to reload it many times even after winning! Kind of like rerolling the character creation in the old D&D RPGs until you get only 18s, or reseting the console each time a warrior gets a point in magic in the Fire Emblems. It gives me PTSD only to think about it! Thank God I have more self-control over this things nowadays...

Last edited:

Vault Dweller

Developer
It totaly is random (you say it yourself: "Not really random", because you know that simply saying "It isn't random" would be a lie), and it's a even more blatant with a skill like critical strike that is hugely inconsistent in it's rising (it could be a lot or it could be zero, in the same combat, playing exactly the same actions) while at the same time the difference between two levels of the skill being the more significant of all of the combat ones (a single point makes the difference between a guy you can takedown and a guy you can't). As a result it asks from the player even more metagaming and quickloading than usual in your games, so that's saying something! :lol:
You look at each individual roll and see a random chance. I look at the player-submitted builds and see the expected distribution of over hundred rolls. In other words, 20% chance means nothing if you roll once or twice.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker

I think you are right, but there is a bootstrapping problem with these skills imo. If your cs is low, you will have a hard time raising it. But once you get a few levels it becomes pretty easy. Lone wolf helps a lot with getting the first few levels, but aside from that I think it might be a bit too hard? Maybe I'm just bad though, or unwilling to invest in otherwise subpar perks.

Momock

Augur
Well, in the end (of my last run) I managed to cut the throats of many people with Faythe, but for a while I was quite desperate and didn't find out how to make the skill grow. I think it's because she starts with CS at 1 that it's so hard to begin. In the end I had to restart from scrach and take the warrior feat first instead of the furtivity ones, for the increased accuracy leading to more criticals in combat (and wait for the broken invisibility sphere to do the big sneaking scenarios). So a combat feat made her a better ninja than the ninja feats. So intuitive!

Parabalus

Arcane
Well, in the end (of my last run) I managed to cut the throats of many people with Faythe, but for a while I was quite desperate and didn't find out how to make the skill grow. I think it's because she starts with CS at 1 that it's so hard to begin. In the end I had to restart from scrach and take the warrior feat first instead of the furtivity ones, for the increased accuracy leading to more criticals in combat (and wait for the broken invisibility sphere to do the big sneaking scenarios). So a combat feat made her a better ninja than the ninja feats. So intuitive!

You get way more CS for killing people in combat than while sneaking, like 400% more + other combat skills. Needs a lot of tuning.

Pladio

Educated
I guess actual complain is about snowball effect of rng skills. Currently game is too slow for it to matter, might be worth looking into in future.

One thing I didnt check is whether there is a skill xp cap per enemy. As in can you farm dodge xp by leaving some easy, early fight be only to come back later with really nice DT armor and just stand there, skipping each turn? Possibly equip dagger to graze for 0 dmg and lvlup blade this way too?
It's limited. I think max of 80 for évasion/armour.

Pladio

Educated

I think you are right, but there is a bootstrapping problem with these skills imo. If your cs is low, you will have a hard time raising it. But once you get a few levels it becomes pretty easy. Lone wolf helps a lot with getting the first few levels, but aside from that I think it might be a bit too hard? Maybe I'm just bad though, or unwilling to invest in otherwise subpar perks.

If you make use of Aimed Attacks - they increase your CS chance. That's an easy way to raise it.

For example ->
CS skill only increases CS chance by 1%
Aimed attack increases CS chance by 10%

Parabalus

Arcane

If you make use of Aimed Attacks - they increase your CS chance. That's an easy way to raise it.

For example ->

Is this something good though?

Instead of playing to win the encounter you are playing to level up your skills.
Really egregious when you get random goons under your control.

Pladio

Educated

Instead of playing to win the encounter you are playing to level up your skills.
You have to be very OCD to do fights in this way. But you can do it if you want to.

I tend to just play the game. :)

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
cant wait for hybrid builds telling you how to milk specific encounters to keep your combat stats reasonably high

Parabalus

Arcane
You shouldn't be able to do that, like you can't with non-combat skills.

In the current version there's no need for it, but judging by VD's posts he's going to up the difficulty a lot.

Vault Dweller

Developer

For example ->

Or you can just play the game and see what you'd end up with. If you never use aimed attacks, don't. If you don't need CS feats, don't use them. Then a sniper type character will have high CS and a fast shooting pistolero won't. Hardly a problem that needs fixing.

Parabalus

Arcane

For example ->

Or you can just play the game and see what you'd end up with. If you never use aimed attacks, don't. If you don't need CS feats, don't use them. Then a sniper type character will have high CS and a fast shooting pistolero won't. Hardly a problem that needs fixing.

CS is good even without aimed attacks, ie. Berserker melee wants it.
Basically everyone wants as much CS as you can get since it's free damage, and unlike Armor/Evasion useful during sneaking and dialogue.

It's only not a problem since everything is tuned so generously currently.
Playing with a party it's conceivable you could have swings of 0-500 CS XP per fight, and if you miss a check along the way it would leave a sour taste.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
>judging by VD's posts he's going to up the difficulty a lot.
That's cause for celebration! I hope they do!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom