Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Is Fallout: New Vegas a worthy Fallout game?

Is Fallout: New Vegas a worthy Fallout game?

• Total voters

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
and the same fucking beths mistake about transposition of 1950s instead of portraying some mindblowing shard of futuristic Vegas.

I admit I never paid that much attention to this, but you are right. If you strip all life and equipment away from the game, you don't really find anything that tells you "this game takes place in 2281", i.e. in the post-apocalyptic ruins of a futuristic city.
Only exceptions I can think of are the robots. Everything else is inspired by the real life Mojave, but none of it has a futuristic spin to it.

Zer0wing

Cipher
The new studio is just low lvl slave labour while the guys responsible for Fallout 4 and Fallout 3 are calling the shots. Lol almost all of the quest designers and writers are from Fallout 4...
And naturally for low wage forced slave labor, they did a piss poor job at it. Just like Cyberpunk 2077 new hires guys.:smug:

Quillon

Arcane
The devs themselves told that nukes from the divide was meant to allow ahem tone down a little society from overdeveloping and to return it to what Fallout was about.

Not "the devs" only "the dev" namely MCA's vision: trying to change the direction of fallout via a mere and apparently the worst received DLC from a contracted studio :P

If bethesda cared about fallout's lore consistency and saw this as a binding thing going forward they wound't have let it fly.

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
Or you can shove plastic explosives up his arse. Maybe some guys fakenewsing my post above meaning that Frank's battle is technically a combat. Well, it is, ok then but come the fuck on.
Only two people need to be culled to finish Fallout 2: Mr. Pres and Franky. All other combat is optional. One day I'm gonna start pacifist only two-frags run of Fallout 2 and post about it in playground

*people killed by char followers count as frags as well

Last edited:

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
However good FNV is, the engine gives me very strong
rating_prosper.png
vibes; if for nothing else FNV goes only as third best official game after Fallout 1 and 2

jackofshadows

Magister
Sneaking is possible although you would probably have to invest into a lot of stealth perks since some locations require close calls with patrolling critters. Mainly Broken Hills mines, sewers and tanker's lower deck. You have to skip Klamath quests dealing with rat king and missing trapper since your skills will be to low to sneak around.

But that's no fun, the dungeons aren't build around stealth without stealth/ambush attacks. The only quest which does is refilling the still because there is huge open area and the animals are scattered around, you can also wait for midnight and use lower visibility. As far as I know no such thing is applicable for interior locations.
Essentially you need only 1 perk: silent running. Getting 12 lvl without killing anyone isn't easy at all though. And I'd say many dungeons and quests were built with sneak/lockpicking/traps in mind. Aside from basic stuff like saving the dog in Arroyo or refuelling the still in Klamath there's an optional lift at Sierra Army Depot beyond harsh modifier which can bring you to any level right away or forcing Enclave Rig maze's doors after temporarely disarming its floor via traps. Also after reaching something like 120-130 sneak most enemies starting to have a hard time detecting you. That said, I agree - it's no fun because you relying on meta all the time and just running around. Murderhobo is much more satisfying path if you ask me.
I admit I never paid that much attention to this, but you are right. If you strip all life and equipment away from the game, you don't really find anything that tells you "this game takes place in 2281", i.e. in the post-apocalyptic ruins of a futuristic city.
Only exceptions I can think of are the robots. Everything else is inspired by the real life Mojave, but none of it has a futuristic spin to it.
The most prominent example I think is the Lucky 38 itself, but beyond that, too little of something brand new, yeah. Budget/time restriction I guess but then again - who cares?
Only two people need to be culled to finish Fallout 2: Mr. Pres and Franky. All other combat is optional. One day I'm gonna start pacifist only two-frags run of Fallout 2 and post about it in playground

*people killed by char followers count as frags as well
You don't have to kill Mr. President though when plan is to kill Franky conventional way? If that's true (cannot tell, usually kill him anyway) that would be a real challenge.
Dude, I hate to inform you, but Fallout was a western from day one. Fallout is Mad Max Cowboys with Lasers in retro-fifties post-apocalypse. Ian in FO1 straight out calls it the region "the New West". A good chunk of FO1's quests are western-esque situations where the Sheriff/Mayor/Village Elder needs your help dealing with a gang.
Fallout 2 was even more blatant in that regard. FNV just went with more trapings.
You definitely have a point here. However, as far as I can tell, F1 didn't have blatantly wacky cowboyish characters like Victor, literally wild west settlements like Good Springs or such a wide array of lever-action guns with a dedicated perk and dynamite as a bonus, not to mention other stuff.

Last edited:

typical user

Arbiter
Too much wild-west, focusing on six-shooters or machete bois with football gear. Maybe if this game had more postapo elements than politics but then again it was supposed to be spin-off.

"Too much wild-west"

Dude, I hate to inform you, but Fallout was a western from day one. Fallout is Mad Max Cowboys with Lasers in retro-fifties post-apocalypse. Ian in FO1 straight out calls it the region "the New West". A good chunk of FO1's quests are western-esque situations where the Sheriff/Mayor/Village Elder needs your help dealing with a gang.
Fallout 2 was even more blatant in that regard. FNV just went with more trapings.

If anything, I think one of the mistakes of Bethesda is that they never realized that to get Fallout out of the West Coast, you need to change the genre.

Also, FNV is less about post-apoc and more about post-post apoc. Its continuing the themes of Fallout 2. FO1 is about survivor communities, FO2 deals with city-states, tribes and incipient city-states, FNV is about a clash of nations, with tribes and other groups caught in the middle. Its about the end of the Wild West.

I meant too much cowboy hats, cowboy music, throwing dynamite, dudes dressed in checkered shirts, dusters with bushy beards wielding springfields, repeaters or Colt sis-shooters; tin cans or sarsparilla bottles littered everywhere. If not for the occasional drug addicts or mutated wildlife this game could be called Call of Juarez: Blackjack n' Pax Romana.

Fallout 1 and 2 weren't cowboy theme parks. The buildings were twisted with gothic style, covered with graffitti tags, everyone was wearing 90s styled punk outfits with leather jackets, spiky or half-shaven hair, metal bracelets, gasmasks and t-shirts. The vehicles and music was throwback to 1940s or 1950s.

The only wild-west thing was brahmin rustling but even that was post-apo themed with carts made of destroyed cars, raiders wielding laser rifles or deathclaws roaming about.

EDIT: Also Redding but that was one small location clearly themed as your typical town from spaghetti westerns.

typical user

Arbiter
Still not convinced. The game is leaning too heavy on wild west stuff plus the engine where everyone looks like a clown isn't really helping it. Great Khans, BoS, Kings also look ridiculous but either they are throwback for nostalgia points or are minor factions.

I dig how Fo1 and Fo2 has roaming the desert, bounty hunters, local sherriffs, herding brahmin since they are all dressed in post-apo style. Tycho didn't have a sprite that would reflect his description, when you look at New Vegas cover with NCR Veteran Ranger because of the swat gear it looks more wastlander than wildwestern.

Fo2 also has it's issues like gorilla bouncers with tommy guns, karate-bois in San Francisco but then again most of that is local or minor background not the main theme of the game.

I don't mind a guy wearing chaps, cowboy hat or sombrero and carrying varmint rifle but when you get that for 50% of your game when it was supposed to be about radiation, slavery, gangs, drugs, energy weapons - clearly something went wrong in art design.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
I honestly don't know where you guys get the idea that New Vegas is constantly slinging wild west at you. Fallout 2 has more wild west in Redding than New Vegas has in its entire game. 50s Vegas is a much more pronounced aesthetic.

Valdetiosi

Scholar
I honestly don't know where you guys get the idea that New Vegas is constantly slinging wild west at you. Fallout 2 has more wild west in Redding than New Vegas has in its entire game. 50s Vegas is a much more pronounced aesthetic.

Every Prospector/Scavenger NPC always has a chance to wear cowboy hat, has a chance for revolver weapon and their default greeting line is "Howdy". I suppose for him that's good enough reason to call New Vegas Wild West.

Or better yet, call it JRPG, if there would be any enemy that would use katana weapon, since eastern related aesthetics equal weaboo stuff :smug:

On my stance, Fallout: New Vegas is hard choice to say if it's worthy since for all the good it does it has downsides, I think the biggest reason is Gamebryo-brain dead gameplay, I would kill for isometric game like Classics were, but that's just a faint dream.

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
Every Prospector/Scavenger NPC always has a chance to wear cowboy hat, has a chance for revolver weapon and their default greeting line is "Howdy". I suppose for him that's good enough reason to call New Vegas Wild West.
The entire set-up of FNV is very Western-like: NCR is basically a US Army conquering new frontier while Legion is stand in for Indians under the leadership of renegade American, who have their plans for the land as well. It doesn't help that Legion is indeed composed out of various primitive tribes and there's entire DLC dedicated to killing Indians in canyon. The good half of the game map has strong Western feel, starting with Goodsprings, prison with escaped convicts, scattered outpost, Boomers (who could be viewed as US Army deserters) and other small settlements. I mean, you can remove the name Fallout and post-apo aspect entirely, changing some stuff on the way, and the core game would still be around

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
I think FNV is fantastic. But I agree on the "best Fallout game trapped in the worst Fallout game" sentiment. There's a reason some people here call it Fallout 3: New Vegas. Its the real sequel to Fallout 2.

I've stopped arguing with people who think New Vegas is fantastic not because I think they are wrong, but because ultimately it boils down to how much you can stomach GameBryo.
I think that if you can stomach everything wrong with that fucking engine, then New Vegas is indeed fantastic (assuming the using of jsawyer which for all intents and purposes is a Director's Cut of the game).

To be fair, its also worth noting that Obsidian had 18 months to finish the game, and FNV not only had to contend with piece of shit Gamebryo, but also with the mechanical limits of the current gen of consoles, which was already at its end. Its pretty telling that the only reason we didn't get Ulysses as companion is the fact all his dialogue would't fit on the disk space. DISK SPACE lol. Nobody cares about Disk Space circa 2021.

People also forget that Bethesda devs have been working with GameBryo all the way back to Morrowind. Meanwhile this was Obsidian's first go with the engine. Imagine all the time they could have saved if they were familiar with the engine from the start. Only Jorge Delgado had major experience with GameBryo thanks to his work with Oblivion (Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul).

Personally my rating goes:

Fallout > Fallout 2 > Fallout: New Vegas

This is simply because I've been able to finish Fallout and Fallout 2, but I was never able to play through New Vegas without additional mods (that weren't just bugfixes).

If it was remade in either an iso-tb engine, or as it is but in a more modern engine without the FO3 trappings, it would destroy absolutely everything.

Fully agree. A genuine Fallout 3, or its own deal with a modern engine that didn't fall prey to the Bethesda meme of seamless open world while still abiding to the classic Fallout philosophy, and it would be amazing. New Vegas I think is one of the games that would benefit the most from a remake, because its greatness is held down by its flaws (which I think are many).

Just imagine, for a second...

2066626.png

Last edited:

Risewild

Arbiter
did you guys ever think that maybe they wear cowboy hats because wide-brimmed hats serve a functional purpose in the MOJAVE DESERT?
Yeah. "Cowboy hats" are still used these days by people who work in farms and ranches in desert like places. And not only in the USA either.
In Australia, most farmers and even just people who live in these places all wear cowboy hats or similar. Because these hats are perfectly made for these hot, sunny conditions.

Even Australian politicians wear them:
Anthony Albanese:

r0_0_800_600_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Barnaby Joyce:

imagev1f7ed5cbeb686994bc857c8075a6aab96-hjs1lh7x0qvrs6nzdp2_t1880.jpg

Bob Katter:

5940068-3x2-940x627.jpg

Not to mention that real wild west cowboys wore bowler hats and not "cowboy hats":

https://www.ripleys.com/weird-news/cowboy-hats/
https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=336&dat=19571026&id=xQQpAAAAIBAJ&pg=7036,5636283

Last edited:

Funposter

Arcane
tbf i don't think albanese wearing an akubra is that representative of anything other than the fact that as labor leader he wants to distract normal people from the fact that he represents a division full of faggots.

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Where is the debate? Of course, it's a worthy Fallout game. Not only that, but it's very, razor close to being better than the originals. Obsidian's world-building was just so damn good. Everything about the setting was just on-point. The experimental DLC, Dead Money, just weaved everything so damn well without looking out-of-place. I can't praise how well Obsidian did. As I said, one of the only games on the Bethesda engine I can play with very minimal mods.

Personally, Fallout: 2>=Fallout: New Vegas>Fallout: 1. Even though I have several hours of New Vegas, I think I played Fallout: 2 the most. I know the faggot NMA trash fucks hated New Reno, but that was my favorite part. Never gets old cucking Bishop. Also, saying "*Little* Jesus" fucking had me laughing my ass off seeing that dialogue. New Reno was better than the New Vegas Strip, though. They really dropped the ball there since you didn't get that intricate faction system like in Fallout: 2. I played through all the factions, and it was amazing seeing the small lore associated with each one, i.e. the
Salvatores working with the Enclave

laclongquan

Arcane
The entire set-up of FNV is very Western-like: NCR is basically a US Army conquering new frontier while Legion is stand in for Indians under the leadership of renegade American, who have their plans for the land as well. It doesn't help that Legion is indeed composed out of various primitive tribes and there's entire DLC dedicated to killing Indians in canyon. The good half of the game map has strong Western feel, starting with Goodsprings, prison with escaped convicts, scattered outpost, Boomers (who could be viewed as US Army deserters) and other small settlements. I mean, you can remove the name Fallout and post-apo aspect entirely, changing some stuff on the way, and the core game would still be around
No no the Legion is more like Spanish faction, or English, back in the day. It is the Khans that represent native Indians.

Funposter

Arcane
There is no reason to create new thread so i ask here:
How big is fnv compared to f3?
I'm talking about map size and amount of content
How many hours you need to complete fnv assuming 100% map explored and all dlc completed?
https://howlongtobeat.com
I'd say this is pretty much correct. Vanilla FNV playthroughs are probably an extra 10% longer than FO3 (so say 50-55 hours for a playthrough up to level 30, compared to 45-50 for FO3) and the DLCs are all a little bit longer too. Not that the DLCs are really worth playing, mind you.

typical user

Arbiter
There is no reason to create new thread so i ask here:
How big is fnv compared to f3?
I'm talking about map size and amount of content
How many hours you need to complete fnv assuming 100% map explored and all dlc completed?
https://howlongtobeat.com
I'd say this is pretty much correct. Vanilla FNV playthroughs are probably an extra 10% longer than FO3 (so say 50-55 hours for a playthrough up to level 30, compared to 45-50 for FO3) and the DLCs are all a little bit longer too. Not that the DLCs are really worth playing, mind you.

One thing to note is the amount of unique content. Fo3 is mostly wandering in metro tunnels shooting same enemies and being sent all across map after copy-pasted mcguffins. New Vegas has varied amount of quests and usually gradually introduces new areas with handful of tasks to catch the breath after long journey. NV rarely forces player to do dungeon dwelling and if it does, it gives plausible reason rather than "here is a satellite dish, pls collect", "here be vampires in this shithole, go talk/kill them", "your vault is in a cave protected by some orcs". It gets nauseating.

The map of New Vegas might be 10 % bigger/smaller/whatever but it definitely is more varieted. Fo3 is just metro tunnels, ruins and one big junkyard called "the wastes" with handful of interesting locations amid trash-content. I didn't really like travelling there.

EDIT: Fo4 does this better with different zones, flat terrain and clear road layout but then again it's all mostly destroyed offices, factories and whatnot. Navigating Fo3 is tiresome and can be compared to Skyrim where most people tried going across/climb up the highest mountain instead of walking around it, because the level designer decided to plop the village with the stairs to the top on the other side.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom