Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ive hit 30 and became a storyfag/normie/pleb, confessions of a munchkin

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Da fuck...

Tetris is a competitive game, with commentators?

"Oh yeah, look at him cleaning up them cubes"

:lol::lol::lol:

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Storyfag is only a lamentable condition to be in because I can count the number of games with good writing on one hand. Don't even need all the fingers. Actually, probably just need one.

It's PS: Torment. Because of course it is. Don't laugh at my dying dreams.

Humanophage

Arcane
Storyfag is only a lamentable condition to be in because I can count the number of games with good writing on one hand. Don't even need all the fingers. Actually, probably just need one.

Aren't there many adventure games with good writing? E.g., Full Throttle, The Curse of Monkey Island, Disco Elysium, Sam & Max Hit The Road, to name a few.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer

Aren't there many adventure games with good writing? E.g., Full Throttle, The Curse of Monkey Island, Disco Elysium, Sam & Max Hit The Road, to name a few.

Probably should've said RPGs instead of just games, but yeah still very few. If we expanded it to all game genres, then the Portal series would get a nod too. I haven't played enough of Disco Elysium to lean one way or the other.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I always was a magefag. The unique thing who changed is that now I an a different type of magefag.

I with 12 years : I wanna throw lightning from my fingertips
I with 29 years : I wanna create a army of undead, so I don't need to work anymore and conjure succubus, so I don't need to deal with female mindgames nor pay for sex

hu3hu3hu3hu3 just kidding. Story AND lore are extremely important in a RPG. Because just for a good game design, nothing beats Chess. Any 5 yo child can learn how to play, but a genious needs years of hard work and dedication to become a grandmaster. RPG's was born from war gaming, as a attempt to translate fantasy concepts into game rules. The original D&D casting is heavily based on Vance's literature which is a hard magic system. RPG's was alwauys 99% RP and 1% G, now sadly the game devs don't care about having the game mechanics and lore in line and produce BS like ArcaniA, Diablo 3, DA:I and so on.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture

You haven't played Age of Decadence? You're missing out.

Lawntoilet

Prophet
Patron

Probably should've said RPGs instead of just games, but yeah still very few. If we expanded it to all game genres, then the Portal series would get a nod too. I haven't played enough of Disco Elysium to lean one way or the other.
Mask of the Betrayer, Arcanum, AoD, KotOR2, and the Expeditions games all had good writing.

Last edited:

visions

Arcane
He's retard and he's banned for a second time since I joined

Dude has been banned around 10-20 times over the last 10 years or so. Honestly, the most surprising thing here is that he said he's only 30 (if true) so he's been registering on and getting banned from the Codex for almost the entirety of his adult life.

downwardspiral

Learned
the whole idea that storyfaggotry is irrelevant is one produced by morons and literal autists.

Film for example, is a visual medium first and foremost. Film can and did work on the basis of interesting images. However, I bet your favorite films all have strong scripts and stories. I bet they also have excellent music. I bet the actors are delivering charismatic performances. There are films that exist purely of gorgeous visual images - and I bet you've never watched them. Neither have I.

And so it is with games too. Yes the gameplay is of primary importance. But a game consisting entirely of mechanics is a dull thing. Storyfaggotry and everything else is what provides inspiration to master the mechanics. The story/world design doesn't need to take front and center, but it does need to give you a reason to keep going.

I don't think anyone would consider Dark Souls a "storyfag" game, but man I bet you were way more invested in finding out about that world than you were in any other DS clone, despite the fact many DS clones have superior way less janky gameplay.

Depends on the definition of story/narrative.

Does it counts theme/lore/background/art style?
To me souls series isn't a narrative focus game, but surely the lore play an important role in the immersion/astrosphere.
However the same could be said about the "lore" in the bike racing game "Ride" series.
I love and know the theme and "lore“ behind those motorcycle their history/manufacture/backstory so I get emotional and immersed into playing it.
The simulation of such physics mechanics that align with what I really felt in RL bike I owned is how a good game "mechanics" made me extremely immerse into the game.
However I don't need a narrative or story in such bike racing game to feel immersed or excited.

To me this sounds like a
"do you like music with pure instrument or song with lyrics"
Question.

There is emotion inside music without lyrics.
And there is also people focus on musicality in instrument only music.
I don't dislike games with strong narrative. I play VNs, JRPGs and some narrative focus CRPGs sometimes.
But games with low narrative/story can still evoke strong emotion just like music without lyrics.

And that gameplay mechanics play a great role of replacing "narrative" that is written by the story writer in many of those low narrative games.
Just like the role musicality plays in instrument only music..

Last edited:
is the soy. Stop eating 'impossible' whoppers, soy lattes, and other faggot food, you are just turning gay, its not your age.

I actually agree though, RPG games are not as good as they used to be, but I have no idea what you are on about with like the 'story part', that just sounds gay, and also wrong, games stories have not become any better, not sure what you are enjoying about them.

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Reading the OP gave me cancer. I guess that was the intended purpose, because it makes no fuckin sense.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom