Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous Kickstarter Update #80: Beta Update on May 5th, Talking Weapon

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Owlcat Games; Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous

Owlcat published a short Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous Kickstarter update today to announce that a new version of the backer beta will be released on May 5th. They aren't ready to go into detail about it yet, but one thing it will include is a talking weapon, which you may recall was the $2,000,000 stretch goal unlocked in the final hours of the game's Kickstarter campaign last year. The weapon's name is Finnean and he seems pretty chill. The update includes a brief voiced snippet of his dialogue, which I won't post here.

We’ve been hard at work since we released the beta version of Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous back in February. Not only were we watching your streams, reading your feedback, and fixing bugs, but we were also working on major improvements for some aspects of the game, we made new content, new art, and worked on some features that were added as our stretch goals. On the 5th of May, after we publish an update that everything is ready, you will be able to launch your Steam and download the new version of beta. We will soon tell you more about what has changed in the new version, but today we’ve prepared an update on one of the stretch goals you helped us meet!

Different people play RPGs for different reasons. Some like to make new friends. Others like to find powerful artifacts that will make enemies shake in fear. And we would like to introduce you to someone who both types of players might enjoy - Finnean. A friend, a companion, a curious soul. A talking weapon.

You will meet - or, perhaps, it’s better to say “find” - Finnean early in the game, and he will happily accompany you on your crusade. He’s a charming and friendly type, and won’t hesitate to speak up his mind when he feels strongly about something. There’s only one problem - he has no idea he’s a weapon. Travel with Finnean to uncover the mystery of his past, earn his friendship and unlock his hidden powers. And in return, Finnean will reward you by turning into any weapon of your choosing. That’s right - he can become any weapon! And you will be able to either fight with him yourself or give to one of your companions, but as long as Finnean is in the party, he will act like a party member, interrupting conversations, chatting when you stop to set up camp, and so on (unless you ask him to shut up, but why would you do such a thing?).

Finnean will join you on your adventures very soon, after you download the new version of the beta! So if you have Early Access, you will be able to find a new friend on the crusade. Don’t forget to join our very active and friendly discord server before the next stage of beta begins, and save your discord name in the ‘Get a Discord Role’ field in your profile on our pre-order portal to get access to the beta chat. Additionally, please check what you see in the ‘Purchased Items’ tab when you log into your account. If you backed our game on Kickstarter, but can’t access your account or don’t see your Kickstarter pledge in it, please email us at team@owlcatgames.com, and we will help you. We also keep collecting shipping information from backers with physical pre-orders, and names for the game’s credits from those whose pledge includes it, so please update your account information on our portal if you haven’t done it yet.
I guess the funny/sarcastic talking weapon is kind of a cliche by now, so this approach makes sense.

Tao

Savant
At least it can morph into any weapon. It always kind of sad playing as a wizard to just carry a sword for the conversation :negative:

While the Lilacor was novel and I enjoyed it, this does appear derivative. I would have more appreciated something interactable and significant like The Tome of Pestilent Thought from PS:T, rather than Lilacor banters.

thesecret1

Arcane
I guess the funny/sarcastic talking weapon is kind of a cliche by now, so this approach makes sense.
On the contrary, it just makes it cheap and disappointing, precisely because it's becoming a cliché. They could do a novel take, do something different, explore a new kind of story, yet chose to play it safe.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
On the contrary, it just makes it cheap and disappointing, precisely because it's becoming a cliché. They could do a novel take, do something different, explore a new kind of story, yet chose to play it safe.

No, that's what I meant, the weapon isn't a Lilarcor-style snarker. Listen to the clip, he's a nice guy who talks like an RPG male romance option.

thesecret1

Arcane
No, that's what I meant, the weapon isn't a Lilarcor-style snarker. Listen to the clip, he's a nice guy who talks like an RPG male romance option.
I'm pretty sure I'm not the only person in this thread who misunderstood that then. Maybe you should actually post the damn clip next time, because when someone descibes a talking sword as "charming and friendly type", I'm gonna assume that's a code word for the funny sword.

Sacibengala

Prophet

I hope that's an option.

Acrux

Arcane
All talking weapons should be based on Gurthang and say something like

YEA, I WILL DRINK THY BLOOD GLADLY, THAT SO I MAY FORGET THE BLOOD OF BELEG MY MASTER, AND THE BLOOD OF BRANDIR SLAIN UNJUSTLY. I WILL SLAY THEE SWIFTLY.

and then kill the wielder as soon as it's picked up.

Ol'man

Educated

I hope the talking weapon the super sekret romance option.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom