Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What are the best Main Menu screens you've seen in video games?

Malamert

Arcane
Edgy
Some games have pretty radical main menus. Some are quite spectacular with all sorts of things going on in the background, others might be a tad calmer and more atmospheric and so on. You get the idea, the kind of main menus that you want to enjoy for a few minutes before you start playing.

For me it's the Heroes of Might & Magic V menu:

Hammers of Fate is pretty tubular as well:

curds

Magister

18522-arcanum-of-steamworks-magick-obscura-windows-screenshot-main.jpg

Last edited:

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Some of the title screens for Mount & Blade mods are excellent. But some of these modders would hire professional or semi-professional illustrators for the title screens then, having blown their wads and depleted their entire $300 budget, create custom content themselves for the actual mod itself that looked like it was drawn by junior high school art class students. But, hey, doesn't mean the mods themselves were bad, even if the modders were as crazy as a shithouse rat, like the mad italian guy ( I think) who made that well-regarded spaghetti western M&B Warband mod that yells in all his file descriptions and readmes: "IF YOU LIKE MY MODS, IN PAYMENT, I WANT YOU TO GO AND VOTE FOR THEM AT THIS LINK! C'MON GUYS, IT'S FREE AFTER ALL AND I WORKED SOOOO HARD! ALL VOTES BELOW A RATING OF 5 OUT OF 10 WILL BE CONSIDERED TROLLING AND WILL BE DELETED!" Ain't nobody got time for that

HansDampf

Arcane
This sound.

And recently, I liked the main menu of Desperados III with Cooper's animated coat.

catfood

AGAIN
It seems that people are under the impression that this is about menu theme songs....

Anyway my favorite menu screens are those that have do something unique. Yes, music plays a role, but the menu itself must be more than just a button select screen.

My favorite would be from Shogun Total War

It perfectly sets the mood for what the game is all about. On the background you can see shadows of troops moving, the menu looks like a folding and unfolding letter, the ambient music and sounds in the background pull you right into the time period, and when you start a new game the menu fades to black in the animation of a sword cutting the air. It's just perfect.

Populous the Beginning is a bit less flashy, but I love the way the shining cursor and the letters cast their shadows.

OQANEAs.png

HoMMo 2 looks very nice

proxy-image

Ou sont les main menus d'antant? Yet another video game element that has degenerated into banal, shit, boring over the decades.

Zanzoken

Arcane
Great main theme and simple but neat effect on the title screen. Really gets you in the mood to chase down some conspiracies.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Only innovation counts for me as impressive.
MGS5TPP, because Snake's horn gets bigger the more civilians you kill and if you build a nuke, you'll get max length horn + constantly bloodied face. And more pics are added to the wall behind him as you progress in the game. But mostly because it conveyed intimacy with your main character, he was there with you in the main menu already.
VTMB because the background reacted to the mouse cursor.
HOMM3 because buttons were in form of 3d looking objects.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
It's definitely Command & Conquer Generals for me. Such a great game, and such a great OST.

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I love Dishonored's fancy button animations.

and Kentucky Route Zero's chapter menu stylized into a clock.

dUiEHjp.png

Hag

Arbiter
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Desert combat. Couldn't find a full view of the menu, but is was as slick overlay on top of this :

I love how the video shows different instances of baseraping. Twas a different time.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I always liked id's pre-Doom 3 menus: just a list of commands (new game, load game, etc) and that's about it. Utilitarian - yet with a visual style that fits each game - and to the point.

Doom 3's (and later id games') menus are also nice but they aren't any different from other contemporary games

Special mention for the Unreal Gold / UT99 menu system which is basically a shiny golden/blue version of the Win95 theme :-P (i have a soft spot for game UIs that look like overthemed desktop UIs).

Infinitum

Scholar

Coudn't find a screen of the meu itself; the PS theme is pretty kicking though. Both of them just puts you in the mood for exploring brave new worlds.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Special mention for the Unreal Gold / UT99 menu system which is basically a shiny golden/blue version of the Win95 theme :-P (i have a soft spot for game UIs that look like overthemed desktop UIs).
But that music with the sound effects though...
Glorious.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom