Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Squeenix NieR Replicant ver. 1.22474487139 announced for PC/PS4/XBO

ADL

Prophet
If it weren't for the story and the music, I would've quit by now as someone that played through the game ten years ago. Little disappointed how little they changed the stuff that actually warranted changing. It's still fundamentally the same game with the combat mechanics changed and the enemy density + boss mechanics modified to accommodate those changes.

Interested to see how people who've only played Automata react to this as it definitely feels like a low budget title made ten years ago.

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
If it weren't for the story and the music, I would've quit by now as someone that played through the game ten years ago. Little disappointed how little they changed the stuff that actually warranted changing. It's still fundamentally the same game with the combat mechanics changed and the enemy density + boss mechanics modified to accommodate those changes.

Interested to see how people who've only played Automata react to this as it definitely feels like a low budget title made ten years ago.

Yeah, I guess I'll wait for the bargain bin, then.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
I just bought it for PS4 because I knew the steam version woulf be fucked up. The soundrack is great. Kaine is hot, and I think she has a dick, which makes her hotter. The game is nice, but its one of those game where is the sums of it parts what matters.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth

game was already better than automata in every area except how combat feels, so what exactly needed changing in your mind? it's meant to be an RPG so yes I do like killing sheep and other wildlife to get material drops to sell/upgrade shit and awkwardly picking up flowers and shit. also grimoire weiss is a great companion and completely monocled, way better than the gay little podlet in automata. :cool:

it's actually a good thing the game wasn't catered to automata secondaries and kept its own identity.

also no problems with the port for me, it's actually better than automata's port was tbqh, the issues (and they are issues for some) brought up earlier are easily corrected.

:positive:

Jinn

Arcane
Haven't had a single technical issue with the game in 5 hours of play. Runs beautiful, looks great, and I'm having a blast, just like I did when I played the original. The combat has been tweaked and improved a fair amount, and while not groundbreaking in any way, it's making one of my favorite games of all time all that much better. I've even been enjoying the re-recorded OST much more than I thought I would, despite there definitely still being times when I feel the punch of the original tracks is missing. I'll probably do the full first playthrough with it even if a mod that implements the original OST comes out during it.

Nier has never been a perfect game, and it still isn't, but almost all of my favorite games couldn't be considered as such. This game as a whole is just a joy to be in. Always has been and always will be.

Puukko

Arcane
I played for 10 hours straight on PC without a hitch. I am very happy with the remake and the changes they've made. Wretched Automatons is the only song that I think got a definite downgrade.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
I also like playing as Brother Nier, gives an entirely different feel to the game (aside from the new visuals/music, etc.) that makes going back even more interesting for those that already played Gestalt w/ Papa...

Jinn

Arcane
Also, don't think I've ever mentioned this on the forums before, but I'm almost positive Devola represents the Dionysian aspect of humanity, and Popola the Apollonian aspect of humanity. Which is funny, considering who they are.... The names themselves are big giveaways, but the fact that Devola spends her days strumming her instrument and singing songs in the tavern, and Popola spends her days in the library, gathering information through literature and directing the logistics of the village is enough to make me almost dead certain.

I think I can say with little doubt that Taro is a big fan of The Birth of Tragedy. But I know without a shadow of a doubt he's a big fan of Nietzsche.

Last edited:

Tavar

Cipher
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
I haven't played any of the Nier games and I'm trying to understand what to expect from this game. From what I've read the story is supposed to be the best part. What about the core gameplay loop, though? I'm a gameplay fag, so a good story isn't enough to raise my interest.

Jinn

Arcane
I haven't played any of the Nier games and I'm trying to understand what to expect from this game. From what I've read the story is supposed to be the best part. What about the core gameplay loop, though? I'm a gameplay fag, so a good story isn't enough to raise my interest.

I find the gameplay in both games to be absolutely addictive. This is largely tied into the setting and story for me though. However, I don't think that's something to say against the gameplay itself. It's a lot of fun.

I would say you if can't accept a gameplay experience as a whole, then stay away. If you can enjoy some challenging gameplay on "Hard" while enjoying an amazing setting and storyline, then get on it. The fact that you're posting here shows that you're interested in some way, and probably because it's all very intriguing. Do it or don't. But clearly you want someone to tell you to do it. So do it!

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Already has more players than Near A Tomato ever did.
Not that surprising, consumer good will often works like this.

I'm still not paying 60 ebro for what looks like a mediocre remaster and port to a game I played about a year ago on emulator. Also Papa > brother.

ADL

Prophet
In general I like the father/daughter dynamic more but let's be real it was a lazy as fuck ctrl+f and replace script change. Everyone treated papa like he was a retard that only operated within their community through generosity even though he's an extremely able-bodied man. It gets even weirder when you get into the novelas and you're supposed to replace brother with papa in your head and then you're reading about he was getting his boipussy pounded by some of the villagers out of desperation to feed Yonah.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Not that surprising, consumer good will often works like this.

I'm still not paying 60 ebro for what looks like a mediocre remaster and port to a game I played about a year ago on emulator. Also Papa > brother.

I hate how terms are so misused and misapplied that a game like this is now a "remaster" and a "port"

it's neither.

Visperas

Augur
My only problem is with the enemies being too tanky. I'm playing on hard because I want the challenge, but right now it feels like the challenge is an endurance and patience test and I'm not about that life. I'm gonna try Normal and see how it feels but I'd love to see the enemie's life reduced and their damage dealt increased. That would make it so much better.

Lincolnberry

Educated
First time playing any of the Nier games with the remake and having a total blast. Playing on PC, 0 issues in ~5 hrs of gameplay so far. Feels like a proper adventure. Magic pew pew seems a little too strong relative to everything else (playing on normal) but no real complaints.

Haven't heard the OG soundtrack (definitely will afterwards but wanted to give this a fair shake since I'm coming in blind anyway), but for what it is this one is very good.

Also, I really appreciate that they basically let you auto sprint all over the place. This would be much less fun if I had to walk/jpg all over these huge areas like a lot of other games.

TwoEdge

Scholar
Oh, I missed this, warts and all. Although Automata is supposed to be a more refined, improved, and critic-filtered version of Taro's vision, it just doesn't feel right without the janks and quirks of the original. I also don't like how the sequel rebranded some elements just to be a sequel (some layouts, the gameplay twists, etc.), most of them fell flat to me, and its setting didn't appeal to me as much. There's a freshness in Replicant and Gestalt that Automata lacks. I still find it pretty great, but this here is a gem.

One little detail I'm reminded of and enjoy a lot is how much forward momentum the protagonist has. When running, lunging, dodging, the character moves with such force. Makes me miss Papa Nier, it fitted him better.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom