Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio (Yakuza, Judgment, Binary Domain + more!) Discussion Thread

Alphons

Cipher
I'm p sure that's for the PS5 remaster of Judgment.

It came out yesterday along with Xbox X and Stadia versions. Countdown started with the release.

Silentstorm

Learned
I still would rather get Ichiban to come back, maybe even crazier after spending some time playing the Dragon Quest games he missed and ready to beat a certain stabber to jail.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
I still would rather get Ichiban to come back, maybe even crazier after spending some time playing the Dragon Quest games he missed and ready to beat a certain stabber to jail.
They said that Ichiban will hopefully be the main protagonist for years to come.
I like Ichiban but he's just too old to carry the series imo. He's already done plenty of stuff that's unbelievable for someone in their 40s. I was hoping we'd get someone a little younger next time.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
I am really having a hard time getting through Yakuza 3. Do get the feeling that this is the worst game to start playing after a Yakuza fatigue.

Game's still pretty good though, music is fantastic, and I love those hidden "mobile phone events" that teach you new techniques. I however am not a big fan of playing Daddy for all those kids.

Ivan

Arcane
I can respect that. It's a total palate cleanser, which I totally welcomed after playing 0-2. I do think that if you keep playing you will enjoy the relationship built with Riki and Miki. Plenty of funny sidequests per the norm. While probably my least favorite Yakuza, it's not too long and there are plenty of awesome moments. Just remember, Yakuza are buffet games, don't force content on yourself that you don't particularly enjoy, and you'll be fine.

I'm myself going to be starting Y4 soon after some time away.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
lost-judgment-leak-01.jpg
Tomorrow's stream is indeed for Lost Judgment, the sequel to Judgment. Game was leaked on the JPN PSN.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
https://www.ign.com/articles/the-yakuza-series-will-be-a-turn-based-rpg-series-fully-going-forward

The Yakuza Series Will Remain a Turn-Based RPG Series Going Forward
Judgment will be Ryu ga Gotoku's action pillar.

Ryu ga Gotoku Studios has officially announced Lost Judgment today, a sequel to its action-mystery 2018 title. For fans who miss Ryu ga Gotoku’s action-style, Judgment will be the franchise that carries that torch as Yakuza transitions into a turn-based RPG.

In an interview with IGN ahead of today’s reveal Yakuza creator Toshihiro Nagoshi and producer Kazuki Hosokawa confirmed that Judgment will be Ryu ga Gotoku’s action series pillar, while Yakuza evolves into a turn-based RPG after the success of Yakuza: Like a Dragon.

“That’s right,” the two producers confirmed when asked if Judgment represents a continuation of the classic Yakuza style of gameplay while Yakuza transitions into a turn-based RPG.

“The Yakuza series has been transformed into a turn-based RPG. On the other hand, over the year, Ryu ga Gotoku Studio has accumulated resources and know-how of making flashy and exhilarating action games that are effortless to enjoy. We decided that we should let our signature action gameplay live on through Lost Judgment.”

The Yakuza series for most of its mainline incarnations is a 3D action brawler starring Kazuma Kiryu. When Kiryu’s story ended in Yakuza 6, a new protagonist, Ichiban Kasuga, stepped up and led the franchise in Yakuza: Like a Dragon.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The Yakuza series will remain turn-based combat rpg. Lost Judgement will continue the action combat. The studio aims to release every future game globally, at the same time.

Edit: Ninja'd.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I didn't play the last one and probably never will because the goofy/whimsical/tongue-in-cheek elements of the combat didn't really appeal to me. If they make it more "serious" then I'll probably be down with this change, but if not then I'm sadly done with the series.

Fishy

Savant
Meh. As much as I adored 7 for characters, story, engine, minigames, combat was meh at best and boring at worst imho. It absolutely removes the exhilarating feeling of punching your way through gauntlets and cinematic boss fights.

I'll still play 8 obviously. Even with shitty combat, the rest of the parts more than make up for it. Just disappointed it's not the other way around, I don't give a fig about Judgement.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Eh Y7 combat was OK at best, it's just run-of-the-mill JRPG combat. Granted combat is not really why you play Yakuza games to begin with but honestly, I don't really see much of an appeal in it either. I prefer the beat em up action of the older Yakuza games tbh. Probably time to buy PS 5 for Judgement then.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom