Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Black Geyser: Couriers of Darkness - Tales of the Moon Cult expansion on the way

agris

Arcane
Patron
I want the deets in drying and dehydrating herbs. Is there a jerky system? Governing skill of jerking ofc.

Developer
Can you explain wtf is the greed system and how it works in game?
The more loot you take from dead enemies and sell, and the more money you accumulate in the party, the harder the next encounters will be.
This is part of it. The rest I either can't speak of or honestly don't know all the details of; the greed system was something I had no hand in designing.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
This might be the most useful AM(a)A ever.

Another question: who was in charge of naming things? Can you confirm that he or she did a lot of cocaine while working on this game? I know you said that you joined the team later, but do you happen to know who is behind the CRUSHMASTER? Who thought that naming the only settlement shown in the first trailer SCHOOLFART was a good idea? Who came up with ALVILMELKEDIC? Was he forced by contract to make it sound like "dick"?

Developer
This might be the most useful AM(a)A ever.

Another question: who was in charge of naming things? Can you confirm that he or she did a lot of cocaine while working on this game? I know you said that you joined the team later, but do you happen to know who is behind the CRUSHMASTER? Who thought that naming the only settlement shown in the first trailer SCHOOLFART was a good idea? Who came up with ALVILMELKEDIC? Was he forced by contract to make it sound like "dick"?

I can't answer the first two things, but you have to remember that in those early days, the people naming things were primarily not English (as a first language) speakers. During my time at the company, I had to correct a few things that were much worse than Schoolfart; you'll never hear how much worse they were, though.

I came up with Alvimelkedic. It's actually a bastardization/contraction of two words in Hungarian. When I was creating lore for the game, I ended up drawing inspiration from several languages (as well as some European folklore from places where we don't normally hear stories from). I used a lot of Old Norse, but there's also a fair amount of Arabic, and some Croatian and Hungarian thrown in.

Alvimelkedic is a particularly complex compound word. I realize it sounds awkward but it was more intentional than it sounds. I can't explain what it's supposed to mean, most likely, without partially spoiling it, but maybe someone who speaks Hungarian on here can figure it out.

There's still a joke thrown in about the awkward name, though, if you have the right characters in your party when you first hear the name.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
I came up with Alvimelkedic.
GOOD GOD YOU CAN'T DROP AN ATOMIC BOMB LIKE THIS WITHOUT WARNING.

I spend most of my summer holidays near Bozen. If you live near Innsbruck or Lienz I'd love to take a train one day and buy you a beer.

Now let's go back to the questions:

There's still a joke thrown in about the awkward name, though, if you have the right characters in your party when you first hear the name.
Can you tell us how many recruitable companions there are? Can we expect a level of interaction with them similar to Baldur's Gate 2 and Pillars of Eternity? Is the portrait of the Gérard Depardieu guy actually modeled on a picture of Gérard Depardieu?

Developer
I came up with Alvimelkedic.
GOOD GOD YOU CAN'T DROP AN ATOMIC BOMB LIKE THIS WITHOUT WARNING.

I spend most of my summer holidays near Bozen. If you live near Innsbruck or Lienz I'd love to take a train one day and buy you a beer.

Now let's go back to the questions:

Can you tell us how many recruitable companions there are? Can we expect a level of interaction with them similar to Baldur's Gate 2 and Pillars of Eternity? Is the portrait of the Gérard Depardieu guy actually modeled on a picture of Gérard Depardieu?

I actually live in Muricah. Almost everyone else is in Vienna or Budapest however (notable exceptions are one of the other designers, and the Canadian writer I worked with heavily on dialogue). I have been meaning to visit Italy in the near future though, so I might take you up on that sometime.

There are 10 recruitable companions. One is kind of a temporary companion, but she's still in the party for a while and is very important to the plot (she was actually introduced in one of the videos I voiced). There's a fair amount of interaction with companions, including romance and personal quests with several, all of which I designed...

But this is another area where until the game comes out, I fear I am breaking NDA discussing any further, though. I also can't comment on likenesses of any famous actors.

Developer
What's your favourite cRPG game, if you have one?
Me? I don't know precisely what counts as a cRPG because it has a vague definition depending on who you ask. If New Vegas counts, then that (I named my dog Boone after Craig Boone). Top 5 would also include Arcanum, D:OS2, Fallout 2 and DA:O.

Ironically I like turn-based more than RTWP, but that wasn't a choice I was involved in with Black Geyser.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
What's your favourite cRPG game, if you have one?
Me? I don't know precisely what counts as a cRPG because it has a vague definition depending on who you ask. If New Vegas counts, then that (I named my dog Boone after Craig Boone). Top 5 would also include Arcanum, D:OS2, Fallout 2 and DA:O.

Ironically I like turn-based more than RTWP, but that wasn't a choice I was involved in with Black Geyser.

What is your opinion on New Vegas: The Frontier?

AdolfSatan

Arcane
You said you wrote romancing options in the game. Have you ever had an actual relationship, or are you one of those writers who base their understanding of human interaction on what they've read in erotic fanfiction?

Alvimelkedic is a particularly complex compound word. I realize it sounds awkward but it was more intentional than it sounds. I can't explain what it's supposed to mean, most likely, without partially spoiling it, but maybe someone who speaks Hungarian on here can figure it out.
Alvilág + emelkedik? I cannot think of a single word that ends in *dic or -ic in this language, tbh.

Developer
You said you wrote romancing options in the game. Have you ever had an actual relationship, or are you one of those writers who base their understanding of human interaction on what they've read in erotic fanfiction?

Well, all of my writing up until now has been a very specific kind of furry erotica involving anglerfish. So I hope when you're playing Black Geyser, you're into characters affixing themselves to the side of the stronger female and slowly being absorbed over time.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
I haven't followed this for some time, so I'm pretty ignorant of the current development stage. Do we have a rough timeline on when we'll see a playable version?

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Well, all of my writing up until now has been a very specific kind of furry erotica involving anglerfish. So I hope when you're playing Black Geyser, you're into characters affixing themselves to the side of the stronger female and slowly being absorbed over time.
If it doesn't have good footjob options,i will find you and i will castrate you!

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Can you tell us why you left the project? Did your contract naturally reached its end or was it something spicy?

I guess your presence here isn't sanctioned by GrapeOcean, since our good friend Rothgor apparently tried to distance himself from you. Did you originally join the project just because you wanted to become a local hero here on the Codex?

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik
ImprobablePause hello there! I have a few questions:
- Do you know how long the game is going to be roughly?
- Any expansion planned?
- Any detail you want to (or can) share about the itemization?

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Can you tell us why you left the project? Did your contract naturally reached its end or was it something spicy?

I guess your presence here isn't sanctioned by GrapeOcean, since our good friend Rothgor apparently tried to distance himself from you. Did you originally join the project just because you wanted to become a local hero here on the Codex?
Maybe a spurned former lover had twitted how he almost raped her 25 years ago on some nerd convention after a lot of drinks.

purpleblob

Savant
There are 10 recruitable companions. One is kind of a temporary companion, but she's still in the party for a while and is very important to the plot (she was actually introduced in one of the videos I voiced). There's a fair amount of interaction with companions, including romance and personal quests with several, all of which I designed...

But this is another area where until the game comes out, I fear I am breaking NDA discussing any further, though. I also can't comment on likenesses of any famous actors.

Are you screeg from RPGWatch?

Developer

No, but he already publicly said what his involvement was over on the Watch, so I can confirm: he worked closely with me to write dialogue through most of the game. He's a damn good writer, and he did more of the actual writing than I did (as narrative designer, a lot of what I did was telling him what to write, rather than writing it all myself).

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath

No, but he already publicly said what his involvement was over on the Watch, so I can confirm: he worked closely with me to write dialogue through most of the game. He's a damn good writer, and he did more of the actual writing than I did (as narrative designer, a lot of what I did was telling him what to write, rather than writing it all myself).
So we've got the boss and the Watch got an underling? Nice.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom