Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Fallout 4 Thread

Cpt. Dallas

Learned
Starfield will be medicore - everyone here will act like it's a cancerous tumor, but will then sink 1000+ hours to it so they can talk about how shitty it is.

Some games are like fine wine or cuisine, savored in small portions , pondered upon and remembered fondly for all time.

Others are junk food: lab manufactured to hit the optimal sweet/salt point to be gorged upon mindlessly in endless distraction and shame, their best moments when messily and noisily excreted.
See also: my hour count in Skyrim and FO:4

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Any good gameplay overhaul mods for this? I don't care for settlement building, just making the combat and exploration more interesting. Played it for a few hours last year but my old PC couldn't take it, would like to try it out again.

Horizon mod, tuturutu!

Bliblablubb

Arcane
the absence of special edition versions of Fallout 3 and New Vegas
Fallout 3 was already at the limit of what the engine and consoles at that time were able to display, and the next console generation was far away.
Skyrim speshul edishun was only made because of the new Xbone, so players could buy it (again) for that.

As for FNV, Beth would never touch it. Their hubris demands to pretend it never happened, so they don't have to admit it was superior to their own product. :argh:

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
". In Fallout 4, many details in the game world can change"

" depending on your actions,"

Caveat is your only choice of actions are to shit or piss up or down wind.

" from item placement"

Instead of pepsi you get coke.

", to people,"

Tommy to Tammy

" to enemies,"

Instead of fighting ONE radscorpion; you get to fight TWO radscorpions

" to whole locations."

Instead of Vault 26k946 you get Vault 26l649

FUKKIN' DEEP C&C.

Nah. I'll stick to the TRUE Fallouts.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So, JarlFrank was hyping me about the game's dungeons and exploration in another thread and was thinking about getting it - initially i thought to just leave it for when the price dropped more but turns out just a few hours ago Fanatical had a flash sale for the GOTY edition (which includes all DLC, etc, though i disabled those for now) for around 15 euros so i bought it. I didn't install any mods since i prefer to play games vanilla for the first time (...or at all, assuming i ever make another playthrough).

I am a bit tired so i didn't play much, just the intro and up until you finish the first non-tutorial quest after you fight back the raiders in the first people you encounter. So far i like it better than Fallout 3, especially the intro, though i guess that isn't hard to beat. I do not like some things, like my character's backstory (and having a backstory at all) or the dialog system being pointless or my character not being mute but TBH i've read so much about those that i expected them and didn't make much of an impact. What i *didn't* expect was that Bethesda would manage to make a character customization UI that is worse than Oblivion... what was wrong with sliders?

The loading times are awful though, apparently because... loading is tied to framerate(!). Also 55fps framecap for some reason. Bethesda engineering at its finest :-P.

Gargaune

Magister
I didn't install any mods since i prefer to play games vanilla for the first time (...or at all, assuming i ever make another playthrough).
Don't do it, man! Unmodded Bethesda games kill twelve billion Codexers every year!

Seriously, though, don't bother with a pure vanilla playthrough, you're just setting yourself up for dismay. Might as well put up your modding infrastructure with Mod Organizer 2, F4SE and MCM, and at the very least you'll want to play on Survival with a balance mod of your choosing, plus Unlimited Survival Mode and Full Dialogue Interface, like JarlFrank and Butter said.

I'd also strongly recommend Immersive HUD (also needs HUDFramework), QuickTrade and Get Out Of My Face right off the bat. And I would also advise getting Provisioner Supply Containers, which is a gameplay change that lets you build player-only shared-inventory containers in your settlements (like the stash in STALKER), thus making your settlements a little less useless.

Following that, it's your typical Bethesda Game™ gameplay loop - play for fifteen minutes, get pissed off at something, find mod to fix said something, repeat.

The loading times are awful though, apparently because... loading is tied to framerate(!). Also 55fps framecap for some reason. Bethesda engineering at its finest :-P.
If I recall correctly, there's a quirky internal V-sync setting which is enabled by default, you'd have to disable it from an .ini or override it from the nVidia control panel to unlock the framerate. But if you do that, mind that Fallout 4's physics solution is known to spaz out at high FPS, so you'd have to look up a mod to fix that. I think this is a recent remedy, but I haven't tried it yet myself.

Last edited:

jackofshadows

Magister
Courtenay Taylor has awesome voice so you can start as a woman instead.
This lets you see the full dialogue option before saying it: https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/27216
I don't think that'll enhance experience at all if not the other way around. Reading that inane shit... The whole point of thouse consolized options is to see right away what do you want to pick like *accept the quest*, say *bye, motherfucker* etc. Imagine reading *sarcasm* options beforehand let alone pick them...

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
This lets you see the full dialogue option before saying it: https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/27216
I don't think that'll enhance experience at all if not the other way around. Reading that inane shit... The whole point of thouse consolized options is to see right away what do you want to pick like *accept the quest*, say *bye, motherfucker* etc. Imagine reading *sarcasm* options beforehand let alone pick them...

Are you sure you should be on this forum?

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Thanks for the suggestions, though for now i'll stick with vanilla. The UI doesn't annoy me enough to look for alternatives and i do like the voice of the voice actress, i'd just prefer it if it was more of a blank slate like the previous games - but they already decided to put a significant back story in there, so meh, whatever. Not knowing what my character will say doesn't bother me because doesn't matter what i say anyway :-P.

I did end up installing one mod though, Fallout Accelerator, which disables vsync during loading screens to speed up loading times (they aren't as fast as FNV or even Skyrim SE - which supposedly runs on the Fallout 4 version of the engine - but they're way more bearable). It still has the 55fps lock during gameplay but over the years i've encountered *a lot* of physics bugs in games due to high framerates so i'll leave it at that. I do force 60fps through RTSS in many old games anyway to avoid such bugs, so it doesn't bother me.

Yosharian

Arcane
Thanks for the suggestions, though for now i'll stick with vanilla. The UI doesn't annoy me enough to look for alternatives and i do like the voice of the voice actress, i'd just prefer it if it was more of a blank slate like the previous games - but they already decided to put a significant back story in there, so meh, whatever. Not knowing what my character will say doesn't bother me because doesn't matter what i say anyway :-P.

I did end up installing one mod though, Fallout Accelerator, which disables vsync during loading screens to speed up loading times (they aren't as fast as FNV or even Skyrim SE - which supposedly runs on the Fallout 4 version of the engine - but they're way more bearable). It still has the 55fps lock during gameplay but over the years i've encountered *a lot* of physics bugs in games due to high framerates so i'll leave it at that. I do force 60fps through RTSS in many old games anyway to avoid such bugs, so it doesn't bother me.
"I choose to play games in the worst way possible"

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron

No, i choose to play games as vanilla as possible in my first playthrough. If i like the game enough for a later run and there are any issues i encountered during that first playthrough, i may use a mod that addresses that (if it exists) in another run. Mods that modify the gameplay itself (stats, etc) are mods i rarely use unless i've beaten a game several times and want something different - and absolutely never use them in my first playthrough.

Now, i'm sure people who suggested the mods have good intentions, but i want to see for myself how the game plays by itself.

jackofshadows

Magister

Are you sure you should be on this forum?
Fallout 4 isn't a RPG to begin with. Stuff in it isn't worth of being read. It's not smart, nor funny, nor entertaining. Just a distraction from gameplay which could be alright.

Yosharian

Arcane

No, i choose to play games as vanilla as possible in my first playthrough. If i like the game enough for a later run and there are any issues i encountered during that first playthrough, i may use a mod that addresses that (if it exists) in another run. Mods that modify the gameplay itself (stats, etc) are mods i rarely use unless i've beaten a game several times and want something different - and absolutely never use them in my first playthrough.

Now, i'm sure people who suggested the mods have good intentions, but i want to see for myself how the game plays by itself.
Yes and vanilla FO4 is crap compared to even the tamest modded experience, but you go ahead and enjoy the 'vanilla experience' lmao

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Arguably he won't be able to appreciate how better the modded experience is unless he experienced vanilla, so yeah he probably should play vanilla for few hours before modding the shit out of FO4.

Codex Year of the Donut
Arguably he won't be able to appreciate how better the modded experience is unless he experienced vanilla, so yeah he probably should play vanilla for few hours before modding the shit out of FO4.
modded experience is still shit, you can't redeem this game with mods because it has issues that mods can't realistically fix without remaking the entire game

Codex Year of the Donut
That doesn't mean it's better to play the game vanilla
There's really no reason to play the game at all unless you just want to experience a subpar, boring game with no real redeeming features.
It's not even one of those bad games that has a couple cool ideas that made it good for what it is, it's just mediocre/shit everywhere.

downwardspiral

Learned
Every time I read the modded experience things.
I always remember somebody told me that Fallout 4 and skyrim are one of the best eroge.

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Fallout 4 isn't a RPG to begin with. Stuff in it isn't worth of being read. It's not smart, nor funny, nor entertaining. Just a distraction from gameplay which could be alright.

It's more RPG than Cyberspunk or even Twitcher 3. And its extensive moddability adds to its roleplaying factor, since it allows you to roleplay as a game developer.

Every time I read the modded experience things.
I always remember somebody told me that Fallout 4 and skyrim are one of the best eroge.

This is true. The games themselves are utter dogshit, but they can be anything you wish for them to be thanks to mods.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
Even modded experience can't salvage this.
You might be able to plug some holes, like the atrocious perk system or pimp up the graphics if that is a major issue for you, but the core problem remains: the horrible writing.
It would take a total conversion to fix that, until you couldn't even define it as "Bethesda's FO4" anymore.
A mod to "fix HP bloat"? Why? You want everything to die in one hit? The game is easy enough already, unless you practice the ancient art of self-limitation.

Just play the vanilla version in all it's "glory" and be done with it.
It can offer some decent entertainment if you don't think too much about it, and the Foul Harbour DLC is actually pretty good. :obviously:

Last edited:

Gargaune

Magister
There's really no reason to play the game at all unless you just want to experience a subpar, boring game with no real redeeming features.
Alas, if only it were more like...
Fallout 76.
Im not trying to be snide here but you WERE the one praising FO76 and how its "fixed now".

It's more RPG than Cyberspunk or even Twitcher 3.
All three are Action-Adventure RPGs, they're just not particularly good at the last bit, though Witcher 3 has its C&C to make up for it. The other two... Yes/Sarcastic Yes/No (but Yes) on the one hand, Press T to Answer (or You'll Answer Automatically) on the other.

And its extensive moddability adds to its roleplaying factor, since it allows you to roleplay as a game developer.
True, we have so few Horror RPGs.

A mod to "fix HP bloat"? Why? You want everything to die in one hit?
Yes, and the other way around. High lethality on both sides, also known as the STALKER way.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom