Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Knights of the Chalice 2 - Editor & Module Creation

AdolfSatan

Arcane
Any idea if save files will be compatible? Cause if they do, I wanna start playing this tonight.

Dorateen

Arcane
Saves should be compatible, as long as he doesn't make any major overhauls to the engine. When he added in the new sprites and other features recently, saves prior to 1.10 stopped working.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Well, there's only 1 or 2 weeks to wait until the next release according to his regular pace so let's be patient.
I think he's working on the village content too for 1.13.

AdolfSatan

Arcane
Of the two caves I got into, neither had exit (at least none that I can tell). Exit to worldmap function on the menu doesn't work either. May want to check if this repeats in every other instance.

PS Are the predesigned characters yours? First time I recall seing useful starters.

Dorateen

Arcane
AdolfSatan are you using version 1.12 or 1.11 of Knights of the Chalice 2? The bug I mentioned in 1.12 is the end of fight script not working. That is what I use to transition from combat maps like the ones above, back to the adventuring map. It should work in the earlier versions.

The predesigned characters are part of the character library included with KotC2.

AdolfSatan

Arcane
You're right, I'm an idiot who installed .12 instead of .11. Will reinstall and try again tomorrow. Had lots of fun however, love how open it feels right from the start.

Are there any "evil" options? When I was approached about redistributing the wealth in the castle I could only choose to smash the heads of the delincuents and was wondering if a specific race/job would have enabled a different outcome.

Dorateen

Arcane
It is pretty much a heroic story, at best there are some neutral/indifferent options at times. Low charisma characters will often get dialogue options that are rude. In the encounter you mentioned, I believe a cleric will express misgivings about fighting other men instead of monsters, but it is still very much about smashing delinquents.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Low charisma characters will often get dialogue options that are rude
Nice
If you've not played the Iceblink version you'll probably get surprised by how cool and atmospheric the writing can be but also by how funny some of the lines of your characters can be, the overall writing is top notch and the humour is no exception :
qEcTxei.png

liY9nP8.png

Dorateen

Arcane
While we are waiting on the next update for Knights of the Chalice 2 so I can finally release the module, I've been able to do some extensive testing especially the mid to late game content.

A few of the things our party got up to today running through Hearkenwold:

• Performed a ritual and unwittingly summoned a Night Stalker
  • Played cards with a dwarf in the Halls of Hamhock
  • Gained the ability to call a Griffin ally in battle

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
While we are waiting on the next update for Knights of the Chalice 2 so I can finally release the module, I've been able to do some extensive testing especially the mid to late game content.

A few of the things our party got up to today running through Hearkenwold:

• Performed a ritual and unwittingly summoned a Night Stalker
  • Played cards with a dwarf in the Halls of Hamhock
  • Gained the ability to call a Griffin ally in battle

awesome stuff, man. :)

u may remember i played a bit of hearkenwold on the iceblink engine (which i believe is the OG version, right?) a couple years back. Really enjoyable RPG. I think I saw it available for FRUA, too, as I was searching the FRUA designs page? Good to know it's also going to be in KOTC2. Hopefully along with a LOT more modules, because the ruleset and resources are so good in KOTC2 that I hope a bunch of people make some epic modules with them! :)

Looking forward to giving Hearken a shot in KOTC2. Once it hits Steam, that is. Thanks for the work throughout the years, brother. U really are an RPG Champ. <3

Dorateen

Arcane
awesome stuff, man. :)

u may remember i played a bit of hearkenwold on the iceblink engine (which i believe is the OG version, right?) a couple years back. Really enjoyable RPG. I think I saw it available for FRUA, too, as I was searching the FRUA designs page? Good to know it's also going to be in KOTC2. Hopefully along with a LOT more modules, because the ruleset and resources are so good in KOTC2 that I hope a bunch of people make some epic modules with them! :)

Looking forward to giving Hearken a shot in KOTC2. Once it hits Steam, that is. Thanks for the work throughout the years, brother. U really are an RPG Champ. <3

Yes, I enjoyed your let's nerd series of videos on the original IceBlink version of Hearkenwold. The FRUA design is only a partial conversion, and streamlined in some places due to limitations of the toolset. Eventually, the scope of the campaign grew too big and complex to continue working with FRUA. Which is a shame, because the SSI Gold Box games are a primary influence on this module. But Knights of the Chalice has satisfied the desire for deep systems and more advanced combat.

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Yes, I enjoyed your let's nerd series of videos on the original IceBlink version of Hearkenwold. The FRUA design is only a partial conversion, and streamlined in some places due to limitations of the toolset. Eventually, the scope of the campaign grew too big and complex to continue working with FRUA. Which is a shame, because the SSI Gold Box games are a primary influence on this module. But Knights of the Chalice has satisfied the desire for deep systems and more advanced combat.

That's awesome. :) Glad u found great tools with the KOTC2 engine. IceBlink was great, too, and I hope we see some new modules on that front, too, sometime. Sad to hear the FRUA conversion didn't work too well, but I have played some downright fantastic modules with it (I'm sure you're familiar with Ray Dyer's work, "The Realm". Amazing stuff.) Anyway, continued success for your work and God bless. Can't wait to try the new version! <3

Dorateen

Arcane
Version 1.13 of Knights of the Chalice 2 has just been posted. Now I only need to wait until I can download, I will do a check to make sure the scripts at the end of combat are working again, and I'll upload the Hearkenwold module file to the Nexus page.

In the meantime, I've been able to advance characters up to level 7. This was accomplished by playing through some of the content of one of the guild adventures. With the other five quests still open, and additional side content, it looks like going up to level 8 is within striking distance. Completing as much as possible might even get characters up to level 9.

Here is an example of how the extra level can make a difference. These Fire Newts had been giving our party trouble because they like to lob fireballs all over the place. Well now our cleric obtained Mass Protection from Energy, and our wizard picked up Ice Storm and Energy Wall, which allows you to select the type of elemental damage. How about a Wall of Cold, lizard breath!

zaiz6OJ.jpg

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
When you defeat the enemies quickly and enemy reinforcements were supposed to arrive in later rounds, these reinforcements will now arrive immediately as the default behaviour (previously, the default behaviour was to end the battle). You can use the new creature-AI setting "Don't join fight if group defeated" if you'd rather have the reinforcements not arrive when the player managed to defeat all the enemies early.
Ah, fuck.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Ah, fuck.

It's optional.
I might be at fault here, I complained the Ice demon, the Vrooks and the orcs didn't spawn if you wipe the floor with Pizarra too fast.
Poor thing, sickened + skewer and it was over.
Meanwhile, the rest of her gang was dealing with an earthquake.

Dorateen I noticed you're playing with a party of 6, wasn't the original balanced for a party of four? Did you increase the difficulty?
How do you suggest to play it?
The early 1 wolf encounter was just sad, was it not 2 or 3 wolves in the original?
And the goblins were pathetic as well.
With my regular Augury's party of 6, i wiped the floor with the 4 lvl 4 barbarians at level 1 (entangle+ sleep+ some buffs + multiple stomps and a summon) and i remember them being way more dangerous in the original due to the lack of spells available, probably.

I started over with Half-giant gladiator + mantis rogue + elf bard + human druid + kobold psionicist.

Edit: Problem solved, the new 5-men party seems perfectly balanced, at least for the early game, it's probably the cleric + mage + psion + druid combo that broke the game.
I've lost to the barbarians, still killed 3 out of 4 but without the mage + cleric spells, it's way harder.

Last edited:

AdolfSatan

Arcane
That's actually a pretty good question. I rolled my party today but haven't gotten around to play yet. Should I keep the 6, or will 4 be more appropriate?

Also, I know keeping a variety of classes and races will give me different choices and flavor text, but given your particular fondness for dwarves... Exactly how much content am I rescinding by not taking one for my party?

Dorateen

Arcane
Hearkenwold was always designed with a six character party in mind. What you are finding is that Knights of the Chalice adds so many build options and variety, that it is easy to come up with a combination that can wreck early encounters. The original Hearkenwold also did not have half giant gladiators, druids, psions and so on. But I would still recommend going with a party of 6, because the difficulty will ramp up when you start facing stronger enemies in much greater numbers.

The encounter composition is exactly the same. One wolf at the start to pester a fresh, unarmed party, the four barbarians upstairs, etc.

AdolfSatan there isn't any race or class that is absolutely essential. Not having a dwarf will miss out on some dialogue options, but nothing that will block content.

I noticed, too, the new difficulty settings of KotC2 are a bit wonky. You have the four new settings, but you can also configure further in the menu. When I updated to 1.13, it set the default as "Adventure (Easy)" mode. He now includes Hit Point recovery at the end of every encounter. This should be set to 0%, regardless of what setting you play on.

Last edited:

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Yes, i remember having some hard times in the south western area in the iceblink version.

Well, i will go on with my party of five, if it's too hard, i'll start over with a dwarf as reinforcements.
Killed the barbarians with a level 2 party but it was way harder without sleep.

Bard songs and HG gladiator trip saved the day.

Got a couple of party wipes (barbarians at level 1, the goblins legion, fuckers were so numerous i couldn't even move)

Gregz

Arcane
Vanilla KoTC 2 looks terrible, so I'm holding out for a brilliant modder to save the day.

Has anyone made a "killer mod" yet, like PoP for Warband?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom