Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
However, some secret areas are located in pretty weird places, and the only way to access them is by jumping to them from a pretty high up, and once down there the player will find an elevator that leads to a position above from where they had jumped - meaning that the design is not... rational or coherent in such cases, unless these areas are meant to be accessed precisely by superhuman characters. This detracts somewhat from an otherwise enjoyable and interconnected design of areas of a level.
I remember thinking how cool that was back when I first played it. The whole level's your oyster. Sure, some of the secrets are pretty stupid in how you get there, but I think its a testament to Jedi Knight's strengths that such a thing doesn't automatically make one hate the game.
This because my character is still pretty weak and unable to deflect most incoming projectiles
I don't think anything affects how well you can block projectiles, You can just block things or not.
Also, keep in mind that waiting until the end of the level bit won't always work, since some secrets are cut off by then on some levels.

Zibniyat

Arcane
However, some secret areas are located in pretty weird places, and the only way to access them is by jumping to them from a pretty high up, and once down there the player will find an elevator that leads to a position above from where they had jumped - meaning that the design is not... rational or coherent in such cases, unless these areas are meant to be accessed precisely by superhuman characters. This detracts somewhat from an otherwise enjoyable and interconnected design of areas of a level.
I remember thinking how cool that was back when I first played it. The whole level's your oyster. Sure, some of the secrets are pretty stupid in how you get there, but I think its a testament to Jedi Knight's strengths that such a thing doesn't automatically make one hate the game.

Yes, even though it is objectively a designer flaw I don't mind it and find it amusing and somewhat funny rather than annoying or stupid.

This because my character is still pretty weak and unable to deflect most incoming projectiles
I don't think anything affects how well you can block projectiles, You can just block things or not.
Also, keep in mind that waiting until the end of the level bit won't always work, since some secrets are cut off by then on some levels.

I realised that a bit too late on the second Nar Shaddaa level, but since the game is rather good I didn't mind restarting the whole level; I still didn't find all the secrets there (6/8 I think), I've probably skipped a few destructible walls or similar.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS

MGS REVENGANCE HOLY SHIT FUN GAME BUT TOUGH AND STRESSES ME OUT

SURGE 2 WROTE BOUT THIS BEEFORW STILL FUN

LORD OF THE FALLEN

WELL ITS A BUDGET SOULS GAME LOLLOLOL BETTER GRAPHICS THAN SURGE 2 AND LESS CONFUSING NONSENSICAL LEVEL DESIGN SO FAT GOOD ENOUGH TO KEEP GOING

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
ALSO BEING TRYING TO BUY LESS GAMES CAUSE GAMEPASS AND ALL THAT

GOT DRUNK AND TOO HIGH AND BOUGHT NIOH CAUSE OF SALE OOPS LOLLOLL

Ezekiel

Arcane
God, the new abilities in Gravity Rush 2 are annoying. It reminds me of Crazy Taxi 2. They took a fun, simple concept and added a bunch of lame moves. I hope this story is nearly over.

Edit: Only two episodes left. Good. Will try some more sidequests after.

Last edited:

Ezekiel

Arcane
Blade-Runner-1982-Workprint-Ridley-Scott-Warner-Bros-BD-HDD-mkv-snapshot-01-45-52-078.jpg

You know, I don't think I would have understood the story even if I hadn't taken two to three years to beat it.

GRAVITY-RUSH-2-20210425150332.jpg

Anime.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Man you'd think putting 300+ hours in Way of the Samurai 3 and 4 combined would tire you out.
Nope. This combat shit is fun. Too bad they don't have any cinematic final boss fight in a rainy field, that's all they're missing.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
I've been sinking time in Dragon Quest XI S. This game is so fucking cozy to play and I really like the crafting mechanic, which is a rare thing indeed. I think the writing is more sloppy than DQVIII, that had a perfect balance, but it makes up with sheer size and options. It took me 80 hours to finish the first chapter (it has 3 I believe).

Man you'd think putting 300+ hours in Way of the Samurai 3 and 4 combined would tire you out.
Are the 2 first games in PS2 worth playing too?

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I didn't play the PS2 games. My understanding is that the first game is pretty rough, at least by vague memory of the Pelit review.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
WotS2 is a prequel to WotS.

While the first game is a bit clunky, I do enjoy it. I don't actually remember much about the second one, just that I have no bad memories.

I'd say give them a try on emulator. If you like 3 and 4, I would play the first two.

But I am a fan of the series, and forgiving of PS2 era action games.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS LOLLLOLLOL

SO I FOUND OUT MY CONTROLLER ISSUE WITH GAMEPASS

A 360 CONTROLLER ISNT SUPPORTED FUCK ME THE XBONE CONTROLLER WORKS PERFECTLY

I RUN ALL GOG GAMES THROUGH STEAM FOR CONTROLLER COMPATABILITY BUT CANT DO THAT FOR FAGPASS STUFF CAUSE IT IN A RESTRICTED FOLDER

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
Escape From Tarkov
Unironically the best stealth first person shooter out there if you decide to go solo looting. Also one of the most unfun games to coop with your friends because of campers everywhere, and the horrible balancing.

jackofshadows

Magister
Escape From Tarkov
Unironically the best stealth first person shooter out there if you decide to go solo looting. Also one of the most unfun games to coop with your friends because of campers everywhere, and the horrible balancing.
Nah, it could be fun. If you're a top player and your co-op friends are too. I'm not one but I've seen how they play... friend of mine have played a lot it too while being far from the most hardcore fps-player and there lots of them, with years of CS experience under the belt for example. But even solo it could be very nice and even for a beginner.

That said, the game would be probably much better if there'd be noo co-op at all, maybe aside from few maps or whatever.

Curratum

Bought Forza Horizon 4 less than 2 weeks ago when it was ~50% off on Steam.

I've clocked 100 hours on it in that time. It's been YEARS and YEARS since I've nolifed a game this hard, but it is that good. Barring Dirt Rally 2, and that's only because I'm a die-hard rally nut, FH4 is the best game about cars and driving I've played in my 30 years of gaming, as a complete package.

Voids

Augur
I bought ADOM while it was on sale recently and am currently on my 500th character. Still figuring shit out on this one.

curds

Magister
50 hours into Divinity: Original Sin, after months of playing on-and-off (mostly off lately), and I'm not sure I can do it anymore. The combat was really fun at first, and still is on some level, but the novelty of the surfaces gimmick is beginning to wear off, the fights are too frequent and are starting to drag out due to the slow animations, and experience gain is slowing down, which means I'm not getting new abilities to play with as often. I'm also finding some of the quest solutions a bit too moon-logic-y for my taste; several times I've ended up checking a guide and thinking, "how the fuck was I supposed to figure that out". And I hate the Diablo-style equipment-system; it just really doesn't work in this style of RPG in my opinion. I do think it was a good game - the combat, the world interactivity and relationship gimmicks are really fun in the early-game, it looks very pretty, and the music is superb - but it isn't good enough, for me anyway, to slog through another 20-30 hours. I guess you could say, I liked it, but it outstays its welcome. The frankly quite boring story doesn't help, either.

JDR13

Arcane
50 hours into Divinity: Original Sin, after months of playing on-and-off (mostly off lately), and I'm not sure I can do it anymore. The combat was really fun at first, and still is on some level, but the novelty of the surfaces gimmick is beginning to wear off, the fights are too frequent and are starting to drag out due to the slow animations, and experience gain is slowing down, which means I'm not getting new abilities to play with as often. I'm also finding some of the quest solutions a bit too moon-logic-y for my taste; several times I've ended up checking a guide and thinking, "how the fuck was I supposed to figure that out". And I hate the Diablo-style equipment-system; it just really doesn't work in this style of RPG in my opinion. I do think it was a good game - the combat, the world interactivity and relationship gimmicks are really fun in the early-game, it looks very pretty, and the music is superb - but it isn't good enough, for me anyway, to slog through another 20-30 hours. I guess you could say, I liked it, but it outstays its welcome. The frankly quite boring story doesn't help, either.

My experience was somewhat similar. I started playing D:OS last year and made it halfway through Luculla Forest before getting burned out. I went almost an entire year before picking it back up a few weeks ago. It was tough getting back into it at first because I couldn't remember all the details about some of the quests in my log. I'm enjoying it enough though, and now I'm about halfway through the Phantom Forest and closing in on the endgame. I do think it's overrated though, and the story and dialogues aren't my style at all. It's the combat and exploration that are keeping me going, and I like most of the puzzles as well.

So I think it's worth sticking with. Maybe just take a break and play something else before coming back to it.

curds

Magister
So I think it's worth sticking with. Maybe just take a break and play something else before coming back to it.
Thing is, I've already done that. Twice now I've gone a few months in between play sessions, and have come back to it for a while. I think the game's main problem, for me anyway, is that it's just too long - I mean I'm 50 hours in and it doesn't feel like it's gonna end any time soon.

It is a good game, but let's be frank, it relies heavily on gimmicks and novelty, which are not enough to carry an 80(?) hour game. Had it been a 40-50 hour game I probably would have called it my favourite CRPG of recent years, because the fun mechanics which the game uses to draw you in wouldn't have lost their novelty value yet.

JDR13

Arcane
Thing is, I've already done that. Twice now I've gone a few months in between play sessions, and have come back to it for a while. I think the game's main problem, for me anyway, is that it's just too long - I mean I'm 50 hours in and it doesn't feel like it's gonna end any time soon.

It is a good game, but let's be frank, it relies heavily on gimmicks and novelty, which are not enough to carry an 80(?) hour game. Had it been a 40-50 hour game I probably would have called it my favourite CRPG of recent years, because the fun mechanics which the game uses to draw you in wouldn't have lost their novelty value yet.

It's actually quite a bit longer than that. I'm at 170 hours and counting. I reload a lot though to test different strategies and outcomes, so that time is probably padded a little.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom