Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hearts of Iron IV - The Ultimate WWII Strategy Game

Hellraiser

Arcane
So far I was not masochistic enough to play Poland in HOI4. Low potential for something as majestic as my batshit off the rails Japan game where I nuked the soviet union and USA 30+ times, and had the confederacy reform and join the axis (allowing me to nuke the yankees using californian airbases). A pity it was over for the nipponese by '49 since German fell to an allied invasion from the north sea.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
So far I was not masochistic enough to play Poland in HOI4. Low potential for something as majestic as my batshit off the rails Japan game where I nuked the soviet union and USA 30+ times, and had the confederacy reform and join the axis (allowing me to nuke the yankees using californian airbases). A pity it was over for the nipponese by '49 since German fell to an allied invasion from the north sea.

To be honest Poland is one of the few nations that provide a real challenge, especially on the historical path where you end up fighting both Germany and Soviet Union by 1940. Very interesting win for me.

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
IDK, the AI in my games seem to do very good with Poland, last two historical games they took Berlin before 1940. Maybe playing Balkan country fucks up with Germany somehow.

Joggerino

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Logistics is the weakest part of HOI 4 along with the horrible front AI so it's really great that they are finally trying to improve it.

HeroMarine

Irenaeus
Vatnik

To be honest Poland is one of the few nations that provide a real challenge, especially on the historical path where you end up fighting both Germany and Soviet Union by 1940. Very interesting win for me.

lol @ not playing a 36-player online game

Joggerino

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
The real monocled shit: One Year War
What mod is this?
GUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUNDAM.

Also mod is named one year war, because it's named one year war. AI sucks however, you can't get the proper gundam experience of getting fucked by hordes of mecha, and either win or lose.
Yeah i played as zeon and the federation, there's a lot of lore which is great but it doesn't play well. Seems like you also can't really seperate the navy and space force which is unfortunate. Seing a submarine in space really kills the immersion.

gerey

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Why not just play Gihren's Greed?

The latest game in the series, the PSP version, has been partially translated into English (the main Zeon and Federation campaigns).

Here's the link.

Game allows you to build whatever suits you want, make decisions to change the plot, and even continue the story past the OYM (though Zeon is kinda thin on content there).

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Last edited:

HeroMarine

Irenaeus
Vatnik
2U20K8V.png

Agree with this dude.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Monarchist path for Russia isn't bad idea. Beria would declare himself a KING and totally obliterates Stalin. Because he has dirt on EVERYONE nobody would complain against monarchy.

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
New Poland moneymaking scheme DLC better have an actually interesting focus tree that allows for some interesting strategies aside from the 'ally with Adolf or Stalin or get fucked'.

passerby

Arcane
I think the whole focus tree idea is completely retarded, most of the shit you can see on them are either retarded memes, or stuff that should be achievable through gameplay systems and diplomatic AI interactions.

I'd put these this stupid choose your own adventure shit in place to distract gamers, if I failed at functional gameplay and AI, so I am assuming this is still the case.
The improvements to the economic model in HoI IV are great on paper, but it's not enough if everything else is as dysfunctional as it was in HoI III.

Can't find the will to try the newest iterations of their games, since I fully expect to be disappointed as always, by hoping for a functional historical simulation and getting nonsensical larping platform.
To their credit they have no competition that do this stuff any better, but it only makes it all even more sad.

Last edited:

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
New Poland moneymaking scheme DLC better have an actually interesting focus tree that allows for some interesting strategies aside from the 'ally with Adolf or Stalin or get fucked'.
Well, if it allowed start sooner than 36, you could ally with czechs, give them Těšnov and Míšeň, and compensate for these territories by fucking up Germany. But historically Poland acted as microgreat power, and fucked itself.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Mechanical changes seem promising at least. Focus trees have been becoming more retarded with every DLC with massive amount of work going into some alternative history meme options that ultimately amount to nothing because it's always the same thing in the end, ie switch to commmie and attack the krauts, switch to nazi and attack the allies.

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Well, if it allowed start sooner than 36, you could ally with czechs, give them Těšnov and Míšeň, and compensate for these territories by fucking up Germany. But historically Poland acted as microgreat power, and fucked itself.

The '36 start is in general, very constraining and stupid as a design choice.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
On the other hand, a '33 start date would just double the prep time. Extra years is no biggie for TNO since it's got its VN hybrid thing going on, but in normal HoI you'd need to expand things quite a bit while also restricting ability to build military stuff.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
The poster boy of baffling memery in the focus trees shown is the fascist monarchist path, where the king is some random cossack who apparently never even set foot in Poland and has no ties to Poland.

The other thing is Poland on historical path getting an offmap Nuclear Reactor so the Polish Resistance could IN THEORY open up with a nuclear attack when they do the Warsaw Uprising.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Well, Paradox made HoI4 as VERY restricted game, where tech and other gameplay systems fall apart after few years of a simulation. So yea, simulating population loss during allied bombing, that doesn't happen. Properly simulating generic tech research, well they can hire me as consultant, have decent tech research, and throw it under carpet on the ground they want something streamlined accessible to every idiot, and in contrast to real world tech research, predicable.

Resource stockpiling, not gonna happen because it can and WILL be abused. And AI is unable to conserve resources until it would conquer resource areas.
Just recently, I complained about how easy is to simulate WWII submarine combat. Stage 1 and 5 is basically spreadsheet. Stage 2 and 3 has about 3 easy solutions that are basically a simple math. Only stage 3 and possibly 3a needs a little thought and some programming, mostly to properly integrate with rest of naval combat. (Each game has different naval combat model.) Funnily it seems even War in the Pacific doesn't simulate naval combat that well.
Proper air combat is just wet dream.

So yea, the simple solution for most of these problems would be hiring me part time as a consultant, I might push them into correct direction, and HoI5 might look decently.

Another problem I seen from my analysis is most people don't wanna play WWII game. They wanna play conquer the world with tanks, aircraft, ships, space warships, stuff. Earth has interesting geometry, thus different starting positions require different strategy. But, they don't wanna play historical US, or historical Germany, it gets boring. And what game companies are doing... They give them another WWII era game. Because according to idiocy of gaming companies who don't bother of doing an analysis, people are German Wehrmacht lovers, US patriots, or whatever and that's why they are buying it. So, instead of putting effort into proper simulation, they are putting effort into proper models, into naming the same aircraft type differently when it was researched in Germany, even if in game it has EXACTLY THE SAME STATS. Basically, current game development is a child like effort, with theirs excuse being but we are getting paid as employers of a company, thus we are professionals.

The Paradox tragedy is amplified by HoI4 at the release was relatively decently in comparison to HoI3 designed game, that tried to remedy pitfalls of HoI3... then they spend several years to make it worse.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
I don't mind having alt-history scenarios, but the way Paradox has been handling it, some of the most retarded fanmods are more realistic than a $15 focus tree.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom