Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Looking for more tactical RPG strategy games like Battle Brothers or Darkest Dungeon

hunter1899

Novice
Just started Battle Brothers and enjoying it. Also played Darkest Dungeon but wasn't a fan of the side scrolling view. What are some other good tactical RPGs? I really like having to pack gear and tools in Darkest Dungeon - are there any other tactical RPGs that put an importance on tools like this (rope, crowbars, etc)?

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Urtuk: The Desolation is Battle Brothers in some weird fleshy hellscape with a few more special abilities and mutations.

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
just wondering - have u played underrail? that, for me, is the ultimate "pack your tools" type of combat in an RPG. dead state is another one that has some interesting combat options. includes plenty of tools and also several ways to use each one. i haven't played it yet but i imagine dungeon rats may have some interesting combat options, from the creators behind age of decadence. sorry if you already know of these games. good luck! <3

Saduj

Arcane
X-Com (not Xcom) and Xenonauts let you customize loadout on all your troopers. Both have utility items/non-lethal weapons that are extremely useful.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
I'm making one if you're interested in cyberpunk hookers.

PC Gamer even covered it. That means it's legit.... right?

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Warbanners, SFD, Urtuk, Battle for Westnoth, Fell Seal, Voidspire Tactics, Alvora tactics, Blackguards, Expedition games, Into the Breach, Dungeon Rats...

Last edited:

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
Jagged Alliance
Jagged Alliance: Deadly Games
Jagged Alliance 2
Jagged Alliance: Rage
Is not that bad a game despite it being fan-fiction and one bullshit enemy type

Lawntoilet

Prophet
Patron
Not exactly like BB or DD, but RPGs with tactical/tools/preparation elements:

Expeditions games
Jagged Alliance 2
Solasta: Crown of the Magister
Dungeon of Naheulbeuk

Kaivokz

Arcane
Warbanners, SFD, Urtuk, Battle for Westnoth, Fell Seal, Voidspire Tactics, Alvora tactics, Blackguards, Expedition games, Into the Breach...
I will second Voidspire Tactics; you use tools to explore, but not to survive. The third game by this dev, Horizon’s Gate, has a rudimentary supplies system which you need to manage while you explore the world, too. Neither are designed with permadeath in mind, though.

Fishy

Savant
I haven't played this, so just going off how it looks and is described, but Deep Sky Derelicts seems to fit the bill.

Was about to mention that one. It's neat once you get your head around the idea of not having to clear a derelict in a single visit.

Starcrawlers is worth a shot too. On the surface it looks like a western blobber, but combat is actually turn-based, with different character classes/skills/gear making a huge difference. The whole game is about those tactical battles, really. The cyberspace sections are shit, mind, but they're totally optional (extra loot and optional alarm/door controls) and they get much quicker once you gear up with high-level programs.

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
A very good and in my opinion, underrated, gem you could try is the Age of Fear series. For one, they are still updating the series, and a cool thing about it is that all new work on the series - upgrades, new units, new heroes, gameplay tweaks, etc. - get retroactively fitted in all the games in the series. So any game u purchase from the series (of which there are several) will always be up to date and current with the latest features. Isn't that cool? As for the games themselves, they are very deep and rich strategy RPGs. They feature hero units that can be outfitted with gear and upgraded with skills, hundreds of recruitable units all with varying alignments and special skills, turn-based combat against an often very clever and tough AI, and each game comes with 2 full campaigns plus any DLC expansion mini-campaigns. I'm playing Age of Fear 3 - The Legend, which features a Dwarven campaign and a Dryad campaign (I'm playing the Dryad one now and it is G-R-E-A-T!) Just some info for u guys if you're interested. They are really good games and I plan on purchasing all of them in time. Hope this helps! Take care, guys. <3

koyota

Cipher
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Dead state is another one that has some interesting combat options. includes plenty of tools and also several ways to use each one. <3

I so wanted to like this game, Heck, I did enjoy my first 20 hours of it.

But late (mid?) game is fundamentally technically broken for me.

On the largest maps with hundreds of zombies, Enemy turns can take 1-3 mins(Depending on how many zombies are left in the map).
You spend 15 seconds moving your people to kill a zombie only to wait another 1-3 mins, rinse and repeat 100 times.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
I would also recommend Warhammer 40k: Mechanicus. It's very easy on the normal setting, so you would have to manually tweak difficulty to suit your preferences. Thankfully, it has a pretty flexible suite for difficulty settings.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Warbanners, SFD, Urtuk, Battle for Westnoth, Fell Seal, Voidspire Tactics, Alvora tactics, Blackguards, Expedition games, Into the Breach...

I will check out Warbanners and SFD, since those are the only ones I havn't played yet, and your other recommendations, save maybe Into the Breach, are really good.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
I will check out Warbanners and SFD, since those are the only ones I havn't played yet, and your other recommendations, save maybe Into the Breach, are really good.

I added Dungeon Rats, if you haven't played it already, it's really good.

I haven't played this, so just going off how it looks and is described, but Deep Sky Derelicts seems to fit the bill.
Was about to mention that one. It's neat once you get your head around the idea of not having to clear a derelict in a single visit.

Starcrawlers is worth a shot too. On the surface it looks like a western blobber, but combat is actually turn-based, with different character classes/skills/gear making a huge difference. The whole game is about those tactical battles, really. The cyberspace sections are shit, mind, but they're totally optional (extra loot and optional alarm/door controls) and they get much quicker once you gear up with high-level programs.

Deep sky derelict is a bad Darkest Dungeon clone, which isn't very good already, ambient and artstyle excepted.

Starcrawlers is probably the most uninspired, bland, boring blobber i ever played.
Little enemy variety, terrible exploration and dungeon design...

ShaggyMoose

Savant
Agree on the dungeon design in Starcrawlers, but I still found the combat to be interesting due to the synergies between classes/skills.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Is Darkest Dungeon gud? I learned of its existance today. It looks kinda good. Probably not gud enough to spend over £30 on it though.

Fishy

Savant
£30 sounds steep, but apart from that DD is surprisingly good. The combat is pretty well scaled and boss fights in particular should always have you on the edge of your seat. If you get into it, I *highly* recommend playing in Radiant mode, as it alleviate a lot of the ridiculous grind, pushing you quicker towards the next difficult encounters instead of having you brainlessly repeat the lower level grind before you can afford it. Even with Radiant, there's still too much grind involved, but it remains a lot more entertaining that it should have any right to considering the very basic premise.

Fishy

Savant
I *highly* recommend playing in Radiant mode

come on, dude. take those diapers off

If I was 14 again and didn't have any other games to play, maybe I'd think about it. But right now, I value my time more than that. Not playing in Radiant is just adding grind on top of the grind for grind's sake.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom