Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Codex of Roguelikes

buffalo bill

Arcane
Won Jupiter Hell' on Nightmare. Was hard, and sadly without lucky drop of weapon, capable of gibbing enemies - usually purple one, unique - you won't survive past Callisto.

for reference

2021-04-25-054805.png
How does it compare to Doomrl?

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Well, for now it's more simplistic, but the game isn't completed yet.
Gameplay is somehow different, not like in DooMRL.

This run was saved when I got JAC .44 SMG, if not this purple bastard...

Last edited:

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Allure of the Stars got a big update. I did not get past the tutorials myself, the main particularity of the game is some weird party-based gameplay, you switch between characters at will and control only one at a time and others won't move but they do react when they're attacked.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Bravely trying dying.
Fucked up my meds supplies, arrived here with 30+ hp lol.

Not here it seems.

But I made it! Turned out I'm not complete fool - took that demonic sword with vampirism and healed to full next level.
So, it's a final countdowv - turu-ru-ruuuu, tururututu!

Tu ruruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu
Myeah, if only I healed not with military stimpacks, those 5 HP....
Anyway, it was fun. DId I say it was nigthmare again? Of course it was nightmare. )

Last edited:

nlfortier

Esturia Games
Developer
If you enjoy the earlier versions of DCSS you might try some of the forks.
Kimchi crawl is my personal favorite:
https://github.com/kimjoy2002/crawl

This goes right to the downloads:
https://github.com/kimjoy2002/crawl/releases
I've generally been pretty happy with the changes to DCSS, but the removal of food and introduction of the Zot Clock is really stupid. Everyone already understands food so why remove it just to replace it with a contrived unintuitive game clock that serves the exact same game design purpose.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
I am playing the game among other things, I have done about 10 runs so far, always doing the quests of the village or roamming the city quite a bit (but I don't think I ever validated any quest from the city) then dying around the 7th floor of one of the multiple generic dungeons when my character's level is around 15 because I don't use my consumables well enough. The game is cool, it ticks the right boxes.

PrettyDeadman

I am playing the game among other things, I have done about 10 runs so far, always doing the quests of the village or roamming the city quite a bit (but I don't think I ever validated any quest from the city) then dying around the 7th floor of one of the multiple generic dungeons when my character's level is around 15 because I don't use my consumables well enough. The game is cool, it ticks the right boxes.
Its quite easy to get to level 10-12 doing basic stuff and exploring dungeons, but I am not sure about what to do next. I am particularly interested in crafting and magic teacher. Have you got any experience with that?

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Nope, I think in the dungeon near the village I eventually reached a room with several tables which allow the different types of crafting, I think I did something but I can't remember what, that's all my knowledge of this topic :).

PrettyDeadman

There is a smith in the first village which has a furnace. You can activate it, but for some reason I can only imporve weapons I have, not craft new one. Have no idea if I need to learn recipe, find other type of crafting station, raise my smithing skill. Kinda frustrating.
Judging by the source code (ForgeManipulator.cpp) you can only improve items, not forge new one, even though the skill description says you can...
You can create armors using tannery though, but not improve armor. Same for wheel and loom.

Metronome

Learned
Still playing Moria here. Starting to get pretty beefy. My Hobbit rogue has hit level 30. My ascension kit is very slowly coming along.

OoAUjsN.png

Earlier I almost got killed by an ancient dragon that walked through a door. It breathed frost on me, dropping me from a full 260 hp to 8. I used a scroll of teleport level and got out of there. If it breathed gas I would have been instantly killed no matter what. But it didn't even need to do that, If I was not in perfect health... dead. Usually I use my stealth to avoid this situation, but I stayed too long on the level. Any enemies that spawn after the initial set are aware of you regardless of stealth. I think the only way to avoid this is to not linger on a dungeon level, but I have no idea how long the timer is until they start spawning. Maybe there isn't a timer at all, but it feels like there is.

Back to grinding.

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy

PrettyDeadman

soulash kinda feels like a meme game.
tank control meme (narrow fov in front of player, wasd controls + qe to turn character).
evil guy meme (kill chickens and farmers).
stamina meme (actions consume stamina, you need to rest in combat to regenerate, staying awake deminishes max stamina).
developer seems competent, but I need to play more to uncover depth and I am not sure Ill find it there.
It is also one of the game which cant work properly with multimonitor + windows descktop scaling setup.

Last edited by a moderator:

Metronome

Learned
Discovered an fast and safe method to grind in Moria. Seems like nobody has done this before. At least, I've never read this one in the news group. It's simple. If you have high stealth, you can stand around a sleeping monster for a long time before it wakes up. What I do is find an enemy with a lot of experience or loot that is sleeping, then I zap it with a wand of cloning. Cloning the monster does not wake it up, so I can fight copies of it for a long while. I cloned this giant troll ~10 times and was able to fill up this room with loot completely risk free!

zSX4IMi.png

Recharging doesn't break the wand usually, so it can go on for a while. It is also relatively easy to find another. Usually, to grind, Moria players would "dance" with Quylthulgs to have them summon large numbers of item dropping monsters. However, this is risky because an ancient multi-hued dragon could be summoned, which can instantly kill the player. A lich of some sort could be summoned too, causing a lot of hassle. This is a lot safer and easier. It can be done almost indefinitely, since a rogue has spells to recharge wands and create food. I lock myself in with some wall creation and am as snug as bug in a rug.

rDs3wyY.png

Here is another setup where I farmed a sleeping ancient blue dragon. Sealed off all entry ways. Would haste myself and then clone the dragon from the top room to kill in the bottom room. It didn't last very long, but was worth a lot of experience.

EDIT: I just got my first Holy Avenger weapon while grinding ancient red dragons. This method is amazing. But I think exceptional stealth is needed. As in, a hobbit rogue has the highest base stealth of all characters and I also have boots of stealth. Anyway, my general gear is already pretty powerful. All that's left to do now is collect potions of invincibility, get some better stats, and hopefully find at least one speed item. Then I should be good to fight the final boss. Might still take longer than it sounds though!
XTG0TX4.png

Last edited:
Been in the mood for some ADOM and have been playing it, been a few years since last I fired it up so I'm suitably rusty. Fucking up my dwarf barbarian with noobery such as forgetting even talking about the herbalism/healing quests is mutually exclusive, so I've got a melee character without the healing skill. And forgetting that gauntlets of peace auto-curse, so I BUC checked my shit, put on some uncursed gauntlets for armor, then was stuck with them until I could find some water and get 'em blessed. Despite those and many other small fuckups the character hasn't died, creeping near level 15 and I got the potion of literacy so I can finally read a blessed ID scroll and look over my shit.

Still think ADOM may be my favorite for that specific brand of roguelike with stupid metagame gotchas and weird mechanics. Speaking of which, had 5 cats gangbang me on one level so I'm on the cat lord's shitlist now. Sure as shit doubt I'll make it that far but who knows, got crowned and given Skullcrusher so maybe that'll carry me.

Edit: Well son of a bitch. Random undead vault and I found seven league boots. With barbarian movement speed I should be able to outrun everything, just need to train up ranged weapons more.

Last edited:

Metronome

Learned
Just lost my guy in Moria to a Mature Multi-hued Dragon. Went on auto-pilot while going through levels and it breathed gas twice from full health. Wasn't even able to get my character file since I was tapping buttons so fast. Back to square one!

Nah

Novice
pC2CKmo.png

Been playing Sil Quirk 1.5.0 Beta, first time getting a Naugrim (dorf) to Morgoth's hall. Naturally went with a strength build for big hits and whirlwind strikes. Rate my ascension kit:
3hOjgWo.png
Going to try and yank his crown and run with it, then pry out as many silmarils as I can. Only ever got 1 sil in the previous versions, both times as a Noldor ("easy" elf mode).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom