Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Expeditions: Rome - the final Expeditions game from Logic Artists

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
No pants either.

Larianshill

Arbiter
ivijcxJ.png

Alright, which one of you is Daniel Martinez?

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
Seeing as I really enjoyed the previous games I will definitely buy this. Great to see that the developer didn't fold!

I couldn't help to chuckle at this though:
Create your own Roman Legatus! Customize your character’s look, gender, class, and skills to match your playstyle and role-playing fantasy.

:lol:
To be fair both previous Expeditions-titles did exactly same.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Seeing as I really enjoyed the previous games I will definitely buy this. Great to see that the developer didn't fold!

Create your own Roman Legatus! Customize your character’s look, gender, class, and skills to match your playstyle and role-playing fantasy.

You could play a female conquistador and viking too, so this was to be expected.

Nothing wrong with it, I like playing female characters :M

Ancient Rome is a good setting for this formula. Less overused than vikings and has lots of potential.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria

To be fair both previous Expeditions-titles did exactly same.

I know and it's still funny. For Vikings there was at least the fig-leaf of you being the child of the previous chief, hence your position of leadership, but a female legatus? Lol.

Mark Richard

Arcane
Goes without saying this lands right at the top of my most wanted list. The Expedition series fits into a historical fiction RPG subgenre which still remains largely unoccupied, and I loved the previous two games.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Nothing wrong with it, I like playing female characters

Why would willingness to play female characters be the issue here? The issue is breaking your setting to accommodate a PC of both sexes. They could have gone for a fantasy world or a role for the main character where either sex would have made sense but they chose not to.

This isn't a deal-breaker for me but it is a bit funny in the context of the historical setting and role they are going for.

Regardless, I'm really looking forward to the game!

Harthwain

Magister
I know and it's still funny. For Vikings there was at least the fig-leaf of you being the child of the previous chief, hence your position of leadership, but a female legatus? Lol.
Indeed. There could still be avenues for having a female character in such setting. A wealthy domina from a prominent family could have a lot of pull, for example. Or - if you want to lean stronger into the route of historical fantasy - a fierce Celtic female warrior, taken as a slave (to explain her "import" outside the island of Britain). But I guess that anything which does not put both genders on an equal footing is too risky PR-wise by now.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Looks cool. Maybe I will conquer my hatred of Expedition Vikings and finish that before Rome comes out. Then play a bit of Conquistador to actually have fun.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Yeah making you a legatus regardless of sex is kinda retarded.

What would be really cool as the next Expeditions game would be one set during the height of ancient Greek colonialism, those expeditions were usually led by private citizens on their own initiative rather than overseen by government officials, so extensive character customization would make more sense there.

Also pre-Hellenistic early classical antiquity is a really under-used setting compared to Roman Republic era.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Black people!!!!!!!

Oh no...
Africa is part of where they're going you nigger

NORTH Africa.

Not sub-saharan Africa.

The "Africans" the Romans interacted with looked more like very tanned Europeans, or Arabs.

Here's a picture of modern Algerians:
316f9ba2-caed-4a23-b626-5a4da2ea3f2f.png

That's the Africa the Romans were colonizing.

Africa =/= black people.

Ventidius

Arbiter
This sounds relevant to my interests, I just hope they don't go all out with the woke nonsense. No one expects perfect realism in an RPG, but if nothing else, some degree of historical accuracy helps immersion in historically-themed games. Anyway, cautiously optimistic about this.

daveyd

Savant
Indeed. There could still be avenues for having a female character in such setting. A wealthy domina from a prominent family could have a lot of pull, for example. Or - if you want to lean stronger into the route of historical fantasy - a fierce Celtic female warrior, taken as a slave (to explain her "import" outside the island of Britain). But I guess that anything which does not put both genders on an equal footing is too risky PR-wise by now.

I think it's probably more that that would almost be like creating a completely different campaign. The most we can realistically expect is a few special lines of dialogues based on character's gender. Anything more complex than that would probably be too expensive to be worth it from a business standpoint.

I'm looking forward to the game as I enjoyed the last two. My main complaints with Viking were the containers and combat became too easy even on the "insane" difficulty; especially disappointing during the final battles. So I really hope they make the highest difficulty a decent challenge this time.

BinaryForest

Novice
Oh shit, I never played this series cause it looked kind of jank but I'll take any chance for a decent Rome RPG I can get

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom