Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Colony Ship Early Access Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
>how do you do stealth takedowns?
You need a dagger equipped. Then you have to move behind an enemy to perform a takedown. It only works on humans. You can't takedown frogs.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
also dagger must be active weapon, had issue like that few times until i noticed whats wrong

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Another recommendation is to make the inventory sorting like in the shops and not drop down small menu,it is far more comfortable that way.

Is there anything more after the who will run the town quest? That final battle was pretty annoying lol,especially the first part where everyone couldn't hit anything.

You can't takedown frogs.
Shame those fuckers are terrible bastards,especially the spitting ones.

Did you guys found any reason to use evasion instead of armour skill? It seemed like pretty useless skill.

As companions go the girl is pretty shit lol. She gets downed very fast and hit anything. I found her near the end and just ended up wasting me time reloading for her not to die. Maybe she could be useful if you get her early and use her for stealth prats,but if can't kill frogs she ends up useless again,since there are only two stealth parts with humans.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
>Is there anything more after the who will run the town quest?
Nope. That's most of the content in the first chapter. But there's still loads of side quests scattered all about. Try exploring around the Pit and speaking to named NPCs. Should get some quests by doing so. Frogs are pretty annoying, yeah! That's why you have to smash them down with a big hammer!

>Did you guys found any reason to use evasion instead of armour skill?
Evasion is good because it's super consistent. If you create a build that specializes in dodging attacks, i.e picking dodge feats, having moderately high perception and dexterity. You'll be consistently dodging attacks from enemies. Especially if you get the disruptor gadget!

>As companions go the girl is pretty shit lol. She gets downed very fast and hit anything.
Faythe takes a lot of work to get going, but once you get her going, she's an absolute unit! This was the build that I used on her:
afg0nWK.png

Efe

Erudite
is there any combat build that does not tag evasion?

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
>Is there anything more after the who will run the town quest?
Nope. That's most of the content in the first chapter. But there's still loads of side quests scattered all about. Try exploring around the Pit and speaking to named NPCs. Should get some quests by doing so. Frogs are pretty annoying, yeah! That's why you have to smash them down with a big hammer!

>Did you guys found any reason to use evasion instead of armour skill?
Evasion is good because it's super consistent. If you create a build that specializes in dodging attacks, i.e picking dodge feats, having moderately high perception and dexterity. You'll be consistently dodging attacks from enemies. Especially if you get the disruptor gadget!

>As companions go the girl is pretty shit lol. She gets downed very fast and hit anything.
Faythe takes a lot of work to get going, but once you get her going, she's an absolute unit! This was the build that I used on her:
afg0nWK.png
Yeah i did all the quests,they were more interesting than the main one. The biggest problem for the main quests is that it is not clear which dude what he stands for. I ended up killing the wench without noticing that she is for the church. Didn't even notice that the brotherhood and the church are actual enemies lol. How did you manage to piss off the brotherhood?

Well with good armour you end up getting nearly zero damage. If you buff it up enemy weapons haver small damage chance.

Well her build depends on the dialogue choices to get the perk,i got thief and assumed that it was her perk. Also what is takedown,the max hp they could stealth kill ?

The initiative perk is a must for the frogs,also it gives you 6ap at the first round,pretty useful.

jackofshadows

Magister
How did you manage to piss off the brotherhood?
By killing the last dude in the arena IIRC.
Evasion is good because it's super consistent.
I get what you mean but that's an odd choice of words. Dedicated solo evasion build is consistent enough for sure but relying on this skill in a party composition is the opposite to consistency.

Last edited:

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
Did you guys found any reason to use evasion instead of armour skill? It seemed like pretty useless skill.
why not both?
What armor does is it reduces penalties, thus enabling evasion(and at higher levels even sneaking) without penalties.
Evading action allows attacks of opportunity(lowest ap action on given weapon). Hence all the solo combat builds you see around pump evasion as high as possible. You might end up dealing more dmg while evading than during your actual round

Well with good armour you end up getting nearly zero damage.
depends on enemy really.

Its high evasion that makes me feel safe, not armor in this game. Combat skills got snowball effects. Its currently easy to max(high enough for implemented skill checks) social skills while running murder hobo. Its hard to have high combat skillz while picking pacifists routes.

Also what is takedown,the max hp they could stealth kill ?
takedown is derived from critical strike. Its not about hp(could be too?) but enemy awareness of you. Sort of need both high stealth and takedown. Without high stealth you wont be able to get on enemy backs. Hard to levelup CS without combat, currently takedown actions and dialogs give very little xp.

jackofshadows

Magister
Its not about hp(could be too?) but enemy awareness of you.
Doesn't depend on awareness. Either somehow scales on npc defensive stat(s) (probably evasion and perhaps something else) or custom set. Would be cool if these values (takedown and the npc's bar to clear were depending on some side conditions but it's not the case currently).

XP rewards for takedowns (dialogue ones mb too) obviously are begging for tuning, just a little spam reminder.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
Its not about hp(could be too?) but enemy awareness of you.
Doesn't depend on awareness. Either somehow scales on npc defensive stat(s) (probably evasion and perhaps something else) or custom set. Would be cool if these values (takedown and the npc's bar to clear were depending on some side conditions but it's not the case currently).

XP rewards for takedowns (dialogue ones mb too) obviously are begging for tuning, just a little spam reminder.
it is certainly about awareness. Try sneaking around a bit more and have enemy awareness bar go up a treshold. You would notice takedown value going up. If you got low lvl sneak then trying to close the gap might breach 2 tresholds leading to higher CS/takedown requirement.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
why not both?
Decent armours reduce evasion,like nearly all the pieces reduce evasion,boots,cloak,armour etc etc. It is fine thing to let it be on the sideline but it is not good to specialize in evasion and have good armour.
to quote and bold relevant part

my lone mastermind murder hobo
y4m8oAvIYSoizmSHe0qxR6PjZDcHC9ORLXCVSNlDE_lZjao7VTggHdIe98ncWJ1NoQ90MeyXEtywj7gEeKdkJWGN8h81RG9KrHK-QG-spINLzJLIxqINrWs2nLwL1NbFzGdc7Amy2tSjKGE0ql3J3t_Vj5sCEX4k0T0v8XjxG39EvhgvQuuyUAqiFEb9CDsA-_s

...somehow didnt get 5th lvl. Everything is dead. Could wear all the armor pieces without penalties(save for AP, was planning to correct that on 5th lvl). Cleared every fight in Pit, without leaving pit(save for xroads quest chain)
Once game expands, some hybrid sneak + blade/pistol is going to be my go to character. That sneak above kind of leveled itself. I wonder if science will stay freeish with mastermind
armor skill improves armor handling which lowers and even nullifies penalties. Save for AP penalty, for that one you need specific perk

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
why not both?
Decent armours reduce evasion,like nearly all the pieces reduce evasion,boots,cloak,armour etc etc. It is fine thing to let it be on the sideline but it is not good to specialize in evasion and have good armour.
to quote and bold relevant part

my lone mastermind murder hobo
y4m8oAvIYSoizmSHe0qxR6PjZDcHC9ORLXCVSNlDE_lZjao7VTggHdIe98ncWJ1NoQ90MeyXEtywj7gEeKdkJWGN8h81RG9KrHK-QG-spINLzJLIxqINrWs2nLwL1NbFzGdc7Amy2tSjKGE0ql3J3t_Vj5sCEX4k0T0v8XjxG39EvhgvQuuyUAqiFEb9CDsA-_s

...somehow didnt get 5th lvl. Everything is dead. Could wear all the armor pieces without penalties(save for AP, was planning to correct that on 5th lvl). Cleared every fight in Pit, without leaving pit(save for xroads quest chain)
Once game expands, some hybrid sneak + blade/pistol is going to be my go to character. That sneak above kind of leveled itself. I wonder if science will stay freeish with mastermind
armor skill improves armor handling which lowers and even nullifies penalties. Save for AP penalty, for that one you need specific perk
I take it that the XP is like in BG games where it is shared between party members not equal for everyone.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
I take it that the XP is like in BG games where it is shared between party members not equal for everyone.
regular xp? i actually dont know... in this short game it didnt matter much
Skill is leveled by the one doing action, combat included. Combatant ecading hit after enemy is killed will receive evasion xp

Jackpot

Learned
I say the ship arrived.
What's the point of a xenophobia stat if we don't get to be racist to aliens?

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
Well. There's gotta be something going on with the ship. Age of Decadence always had mysteries that took you multiple playthroughs with different builds to get to the bottom of - boy was it satisfying once you managed to solve those mysteries, and fit in all the pieces of the puzzle to get the picture of what's actually happening! I wonder what mysteries about the ship, are going to await us.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
in aod you became a god. in here you will become a ship and change course towards nearest sun, battlestar galactica style

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Regarding the Steam reviews: There will always be a contingent of casual, console-trained players who believe that they should be able to pass all skill checks with mediocre or slightly above-average scores—if not right away, then certainly by mid-game.

They have been trained by Bethesda RPGs in which you can max out every skill, unlock every door, collect every companion, and become the leader of every faction.

Now, personally, I am a strong advocate of point-buy-style character systems in which the party begins a campaign middlingly powerful, and ends it quite powerful—say, 50% to 100% more powerful than when they began. I've never been too keen on these gnat-to-demigod level 1-to-20 systems in which you end up 3,000% more powerful.

But even under such a middling system, a party can't do everything, and certainly not do everything well.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
Ah. He didn't deny that we will become a ship. Someone hold my companions. I am going to live my dreams as a floating refrigerator out in the dark reaches of the void.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
What's the point of a xenophobia stat if we don't get to be racist to aliens?
Mutants and monks (cyborgs).

That won't stop me from being preemptively racist to aliens that humanity hasn't even encountered yet.

I can't yet know the details of their bodily symmetry/asymmetry, appendages, skin/envelope consistency and pigmentation, sensory organ arrangements, et cetera—but I know that they're going to be different than me, and that makes me angry and afraid.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom