Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Expeditions: Rome - the final Expeditions game from Logic Artists

Murk

Arcane
Gameplay trailer looks promising.

I still shed a tear for game user interfaces that have 0 thematic relation to the game though :(

Dodo1610

Arcane
I really wanted an expedition Rome but never expected that it would actually happen.

fully voiced narrative
WTF! The predecessors were niche even for the TB RPG genre and yet THQN actually made this fully voiced in German and English. :hahano:

CyberWhale

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Left Copenhagen to be closer to family and could work remote while we finished Fallen Heroes. Fallen Heroes was cancelled and I was let go.

Fucking assholes.

BTW, there is a similar (that's a stretch actually, but whatever) console game that incorporates both male (Roman) and female (barbarian) main characters. Always wanted to play it, but Dolphin (GC version) always freezes the moment the battle starts. Might have to try the PS2 emulator instead for this eventually:

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Will be interesting to see how the weapon dynamics change between Rome and Viking - in Viking, Shields and bows were definitely stronger than the other types.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Great news. I'm just glad this is actually happening after all. Make Swen regret the decision to cancel that Divinity spin-off.

Brancaleone

Liturgist
Left Copenhagen to be closer to family and could work remote while we finished Fallen Heroes. Fallen Heroes was cancelled and I was let go.

Fucking assholes.

BTW, there is a similar (that's a stretch actually, but whatever) console game that incorporates both male (Roman) and female (barbarian) main characters. Always wanted to play it, but Dolphin (GC version) always freezes the moment the battle starts. Might have to try the PS2 emulator instead for this eventually:

Gladius is about a gladiator school, and there actually were female gladiatrices (sporadically introduced as scandalous novelties), and it makes sense that they would often be non-Roman (being a gladiator was a mark of infamy for anybody with decent social status, and it would be even more so for a woman).

PrettyDeadman

Will this one have 30second loading screens every 2 minutes due to tiny locations & shitty engine like previous games?

deuxhero

Arcane
I only see one fighting woman woman, Julia, in the gameplay trailer. There's a few ways they could vaguely justify it, though having an obviously Roman name kicks out a few of them.

Black people!!!!!!!

Oh no...
Africa is part of where they're going you nigger

NORTH Africa.

Not sub-saharan Africa.

The "Africans" the Romans interacted with looked more like very tanned Europeans, or Arabs.

The province Africa was definitely white (especially since it was built on the ruins of the definitely white colony nation of Carthage) but the Romans definitely did "interact" with blacks (Jeremiah 13:23)

But yes, the only blacks should be (former) slaves or a foreign curiosity. With the PC's given backstory, there's room for the player character to be customized as black/Asiatic while being vaguely plausible if they tried ("Legate Daddy was infatuated with an exotic slave to the point of marrying her" or go all in and say "PC's dad fucked a whole harem of exotic slave girls but had a narrow urethra so he only produced one heir") so long as they're the only one the possible but absurdly implausible happens for.

deuxhero

Arcane
Noticed a black character named "Bestia Tabat" in the trailer. The name Bestia (Beast) screams a name (more like a title) given to a gladiator. The character could be fine if his deal is something like "Gladiator owned by PC's father. Saves the PC from assassins that kill dad. PC is given option to promote him to bodyguard. As an outsider to Roman society, he's the PC's Watson, so the PC can explain all of Rome's weird political idiosyncrasies to the player by educating him."

Dodo1610

Arcane
I wonder which of the previous two games (Conquistador vs. Viking) Rome will be closer to.

The previews talk about managing your Legion and your war camp and that there will even be large sieges where more than your 5 party members will fight. Yet they still want to keep the focus on interaction with party members and CC so it seems they want to combine both. How good this works will remain to be seen but I like that they are at least trying it.

Also one of the previews says that picking a female Legat will affect how NCPs will react to you and of course romances.

Last edited:

gerey

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Also one of the previews says that picking a female Legat will affect how NCPs will react to you and of course romances.
Fucking Christ. Why do they even bother screeching about muh historical accuracy if they won't bother making the game historically accurate? Not every game, and especially not a cRPG set in Ancient Rome, requires the option to play as a female character when it doesn't make sense.

The fact they're going through with this bullshit does not bode well for the game - it's likely going to be another Expeditions: Vikings - a shallow cRPG with stiff writing set in a Roman theme park that doesn't even attempt to accurately portray Roman society as it was, but present the public with a whitewashed product without any of the aspects of the setting that may upset the gentle sensibilities of the resident liberals (like women being second-class citizens), while going out of its way to condemn those aspects that the writers disagree with on an ideological basis.

Shrimp

Arbiter
According to a comment made by one of the developers on the Steam forums (link) the game won't have timed campaign missions this time.
I don't remember them causing any problems in the game (it is, admittedly, a long time since I played it) but apparently they were widely disliked - hence the removal in this game.

Shrimp

Arbiter

thinking.png
Was it a clue?

Really makes you think

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
According to a comment made by one of the developers on the Steam forums (link) the game won't have timed campaign missions this time.
I don't remember them causing any problems in the game (it is, admittedly, a long time since I played it) but apparently they were widely disliked - hence the removal in this game.

people who can't handle timed quests are even worse than gay sex havers

Vatnik Wumao

Relaxing gameplay > timed autism.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Oh great,another one i coming out of the closet. At this time we should change the name to GAYCodex.

Mark Richard

Arcane
Conquistador had some timed quests. Viking employed a time limit in the form of an overall campaign counter which gave players several in-game months to explore England. The timer was extremely generous and allowed for the completion of every quest twice over. To this day I've no idea how the complainers ran out of time, and can only speculate that they didn't prioritize quests at their present location before embarking on a cross-country march to finish another quest at the arse end of nowhere. Going on a march in 790 AD requires preparation and commitment. It's not like a trip to the corner store where you can decide at the halfway point that actually, you don't need a bag of sprouts that badly after all.

This concludes my annual moaning about timer haters. They'll turn the Expedition series into arcadey trash if we don't remain vigilant.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Good but a bit tame....was hoping for more 'Expedition' in Expeditions, like those Rome did send to the Crimea and Africa. Bit of a missed opportunity to pit yourself against less well known opponents and situations.

NORTH Africa.

Not sub-saharan Africa.

The "Africans" the Romans interacted with looked more like very tanned Europeans, or Arabs
Ok didn't catch that North bit.

This is what the Romans called "Africa":
romanafrica4.jpg

It's what the Germans called Africa too....
iu

Palm trees and swastikas and sheeeeeeeet

Last edited by a moderator:

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
To all people who state the Roman setting is not "fresh" enough and was "overused" in the past I have a question: where and when?

Perhaps in the strategy genre, true. But in RPGs? How many role-playing games set in historical, late Republican/early Imperial Rome can you count?

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
But in RPGs? How many role-playing games set in historical, late
Age of Decadence
Dungeon Rats
Titan Quest
Jason and the Argonauts
Invictus in the Shadow of Olympus
A legionary's life
Nethergate
Et cetera.
I know you said historical.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom