Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Rome: Total War Remastered

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I wonder if there's a limit to the ethnic variants - could be some cool modding potential there.

They don't look hardcoded, looks like you can define as many as you want.

As you say, pretty cool modding potential.

Is there any indication of male-female variants within the same unit (as in Attila?). As I recall this is was extremely difficult to mod in Rome. It was possible, but with weird bugs like sharing the same voices.

The ethnicities do have male/female models defined, but it looks as though it isn't possible to mix genders at a unit level.

It looks the same as the original game in that female units are defined with the is_female tag and a female voice set.

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Interesting that they have both "African" and "North African" variations. Does "North African" mean they add several mixed dark/light-skinned skins, or just that they add a bunch of "vaguely brown" skins? I wonder if there's a limit to the ethnic variants - could be some cool modding potential there.

So it's exactly as anticipated and the reee'ing, scaremongering fools are shown to be exactly that?

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Interesting that they have both "African" and "North African" variations. Does "North African" mean they add several mixed dark/light-skinned skins, or just that they add a bunch of "vaguely brown" skins? I wonder if there's a limit to the ethnic variants - could be some cool modding potential there.

So it's exactly as anticipated and the reee'ing, scaremongering fools are shown to be exactly that?

It does mostly seem quite tame. The only thing I've found jarring so far is my Scipii starting army on Sicily had a few very dark blacks in.

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
It does mostly seem quite tame. The only thing I've found jarring so far is my Scipii starting army on Sicily had a few very dark blacks in.

I mean in most games it's "quite tame", but I find it particularly egregious to accuse CA of something they've never done.

Don't understand the appeal of scaremongering game after game. Is it to justify piracy? Someone else suggested to me that it might be an excuse for not checking out anything released after 2004, while protecting some farcical "hardcore gamer" identity. I don't think anyone else (sane) cares what others play or pirate, but I'm coming up blank for any more meaningful reasons for this charade every time. Like ..."we get it, you hate everything"?

Shrimp

Arbiter
gotta go fast

It's nice that some of the old modding teams are coming back to work on mods for the Remastered version. I'm looking forward to seeing what people will end up doing with the new (supposedly) less strict restrictions and hard limits.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
So the game refuses to start for me. Possibly cause I'm on Windows 7? I get the launch menu thing with all the total war games and I hit play and the game starts and instantly closes. If I run it from the exe file it says blah blah kernel32 createfile 2 entry error.

I can still play the original Rome 1, though.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
So the game refuses to start for me. Possibly cause I'm on Windows 7? I get the launch menu thing with all the total war games and I hit play and the game starts and instantly closes. If I run it from the exe file it says blah blah kernel32 createfile 2 entry error.

You might want to get a refund. It explicitly states in the requirements that it needs windows 10.
Don't expect anything new from a major company to run on windows 7 as that has been discontinued.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer

You might want to get a refund. It explicitly states in the requirements that it needs windows 10.
Don't expect anything new from a major company to run on windows 7 as that has been discontinued.

Literally every game aside from this game works on Windows 7. I've never had a game that won't work on 7 before. I play Warhammer 2 and 3 Kingdoms on Windows 7. I play the original Rome: Total War on 7. Random shit indie games that released in the last year all work on Windows 7.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane

Literally every game aside from this game works on Windows 7. I've never had a game that won't work on 7 before. I play Warhammer 2 and 3 Kingdoms on Windows 7. I play the original Rome: Total War on 7. Random shit indie games that released in the last year all work on Windows 7.

Fair enough, I stand corrected then.
Apparently the requirements did indeed say Windows 7 originally and they changed it at the last minute, which is some bullshit. The initial reviews are pretty harsh.
Its already mixed and people are reporting technical issues.
I expect CA is going to get hit by a lot of refunds, and if it doesn't work you should definitely get your money back.

Last edited:

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron

Fair enough, I stand corrected then.
Apparently the requirements did indeed say Windows 7 originally and they changed it at the last minute, which is some bullshit. The initial reviews are pretty harsh.
Its already mixed and people are reporting technical issues.
I expect CA is going to get hit by a lot of refunds, and if it doesn't work you should definitely get your money back.

A good chunk of the negative reviews are about OS compatibility stuff. I looked back at their store page with archive, it did used to just say "A 64 bit operating system".

They probably should have clarified that a bit sooner.

Melcar

Arcane
Most of the negative reviews seem to be compatibility issues with certain Windows versions (going to wait for the Linux reports) and old geezers with the usual "they changed stuff!". A few of the negative reviews are about the improvements not improving the game enough and sometimes made things worse. I assume future patches from Feral will fix the compatibility issues and bugs. Nothing much can be done about the new interface and colors. The performance fixes are enough for me (Gold runs like shit on my Ryzen machine). Still, even with the 50% discount I get on my Steam account price is still steep for a remaster of this kind.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Most of the negative reviews seem to be compatibility issues with certain Windows versions (going to wait for the Linux reports) and old geezers with the usual "they changed stuff!". A few of the negative reviews are about the improvements not improving the game enough and sometimes made things worse. I assume future patches from Feral will fix the compatibility issues and bugs. Nothing much can be done about the new interface and colors. The performance fixes are enough for me (Gold runs like shit on my Ryzen machine). Still, even with the 50% discount I get on my Steam account price is still steep for a remaster of this kind.

Same. I can run this one at close to 144 fps in most places.

I'm lucky to get 30 fps with the original.

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine

I can get not liking the stylisation of the new interface, but it's a lot better in terms of information.

Same. I can run this one at close to 144 fps in most places.

I'm lucky to get 30 fps with the original.

Right? Tbh I'm glad just to have this game running with 64-bit and multi-threading support, but beyond that it feels way better quality than most things that dare to call themselves remasters.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
I just hope this sells well enough for them to give windows a proper 64 bit port of Medieval 2.

I don't really care about any of the other changes they make, I just want to be able to play Third Age Total War and Stainless Steel with 100% stability.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
I just hope this sells well enough for them to give windows a proper 64 bit port of Medieval 2.

I don't really care about any of the other changes they make, I just want to be able to play Third Age Total War and Stainless Steel with 100% stability.

I played tons of Stainless Steel without any crashes on Windows 7. Works fine for me.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron

I played tons of Stainless Steel without any crashes on Windows 7. Works fine for me.

On huge unit sizes? The game is "mostly" stable on large.

I've never been able to play Stainless Steel reliably on huge unit sizes on Windows 7 or 10. You get the dreaded "sorry, something went wrong" error if battles go on for too long as the game runs out of memory. The 4gb LAA patch helps a little bit.

just a newfag

Literate

I just want to play M2 on my phone.

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Anyone else feel like the unit movement speed on standard speed is way faster than it was in normal edition? I played it recently and this feels like the dudes are warping around map. Then the half-speed is almoust like former speed but still slower, like 2/3 slower than the old normal

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik

On huge unit sizes? The game is "mostly" stable on large.

I've never been able to play Stainless Steel reliably on huge unit sizes on Windows 7 or 10. You get the dreaded "sorry, something went wrong" error if battles go on for too long as the game runs out of memory. The 4gb LAA patch helps a little bit.
Frankly why would you want to use huge unit sizes? In these old games, rising unit sizes should rise upkeep. Otherwise it's only cosmetic candy. IIRC game is balanced to medium unit sizes anyway.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Do you actually need your drivers to be the latest version? I remember seeing that in the previous set of requirements, and that makes me nervous because the new AMD drivers really shit the bed for RX580 users.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom