Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New Vegas mods

CootKeeper

Augur
I use Wrye Flash myself. It's the same mod manager as the one for Morrowind or other Gamebryo games, so I'm used to the interface and knowing what to do. Might not be the most newbie-friendly mod manager out there.

Black Angel

Arcane
You should refer to Viva New Vegas (https://vivanewvegas.github.io/) when you're just getting started. It's kept up to date and has step-by-step instructions for installing all the performance and bug-fixing mods. It recommends using Mod Organizer 2.
If you don't know how to mod, you're probably best off using Wabbajack.
Detecting and fixing mod conflicts at the record-level can be a bitch.

Hm, but the chances that someone else has already made a list of mods that fit EXACTLY my needs are practically zero, no? So, I'd have to add/remove mods and edit certain mod configs after downloading a modlist via Wabbajack, which again could lead to a situation where I'd have to detect and fix mod conflicts? Or am I missing something here?
Viva New Vegas is pretty much just FONV but better, I think you'll like it
I was rather bummed when Qolore completely reworked his guide into more performance-oriented one, he didn't keep an archive of the older version of the mod. But then I think about it for some more and, you really didn't need THAT much mod to play New Vegas with. Just the bare minimum essential, and thankfully he kept a separate page about what mods to avoid and what mods to install instead. So if you feel like you wanted something more you could just go ahead and check out his 'Mods to Avoid' page. What's there in the main guide however, should suffice as long as you can bear with New Vegas's horribly outdated looks.

Yosharian

Arcane
Yeah I played it before it was reworked. Good stuff. Couldn't motivate myself to play the DLCs though. I still to this day haven't played Lonesome Road to the end, after around 10 playthroughs

I want to jump back into Vegas but every time I do so, I have to spend several hours re-educating myself about the current state of the modding scene. One thing I always look for are stealth / combat AI mods, but it seems not much progress has been made in that front. Is there any better alternative to Combat Enhancer and XFO AI tweaks? I remember these were quite good, even if rough around the edges. Enhanced NPC Awareness seemed very interesting too, but I remember it had some problems, and no update has come...

For stealth, I remember I used Cover Based Stealth Mechanics with some success. Again, no updates.

Tuckered Out was another mod that went under the radar. I really liked the idea of taking damage not just from big falls, but from careless running down difficult terrain. It also has customizable fatigue. There was another mod that added a bunch of different sicknesses that I quite enjoyed, made surviving a living hell, but I don't remember its name. It wasn't Poisonous Poisons, although I've enjoyed that too.

I'm writing this in the hope some fellow autist of similar tastes recommends something I haven't considered yet. Basically, I like everything that makes life difficult for you without resorting to MOAR DAMAGE or mindless grinding. I really like the survivalist and hobo simulator aspect of FNV, basically taking the premise of JSawyer mod and going as far as possible with it.

urmom

Learned
Are there "super" mods combining multiple mods? Or do the individual modders hate that? I've run into this before.

Just reinstalled NV with Viva New Vegas, and wow, this game looks amazing. I just finished it a few months ago (vanilla) and everything about those mods just fit in perfectly. Just wish there were some decent Radio mods to get some songs that I liked in F3 into this game and it'd be perfect.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
I've never found a radio mod that fits with the vanilla music, and I've half a mind to make one myself.

Perkel

Arcane
>What does this mod do? Have you ever felt that the Mojave Wasteland is too empty ?

Me: No.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
If you want songs that actually fit the New Vegas theme, you want Rat Pat/crooner songs and country Western songs from the 1950s and very early 1960s.

Elvis Presley is at the top of the list—hitting both the Vegas and Western themes square on the nose, and also his namesakes are in the game—but of course the official soundtrack contains not a single Elvis song, self-evidently due to the cost of licensing them.

For all of you Eurostrip One citizens and city slickers out there, check the discographies of Elvis, Roy Rogers, Marty Robbins, Hank Williams Sr., Johnny Cash, Red Foley, Gene Autry, Tex Ritter, and Eddy Arnold. The Rat Pack hits are fairly easy to find and don't bear going into.

The point is: You have to make your own mod if you want the good shit in there. It can all be ripped from YouTube, and most likely simply grafted into an existing simple radio mod with some tweaks.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Any mod which adds wild west guns to FNV?

I wanna use a sharps 1859 rifle and similar firearms. I don't care if they would be suboptimal.
sadly 99% of weapon mods are either cold war/vietnam era guns, or modern tacticool picatinny rail garbage. The only Sharps rifle mod i saw recycled lever action shotgun animations.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

I wanna use a sharps 1859 rifle and similar firearms. I don't care if they would be suboptimal.
sadly 99% of weapon mods are either cold war/vietnam era guns, or modern tacticool picatinny rail garbage. The only Sharps rifle mod i saw recycled lever action shotgun animations.

Link to then please? Even if is not my desired mod, is better than nothing...

Wunderbar

Arcane

Link to then please? Even if is not my desired mod, is better than nothing...
https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/53117?tab=description

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
If you want songs that actually fit the New Vegas theme, you want Rat Pat/crooner songs and country Western songs from the 1950s and very early 1960s.

Elvis Presley is at the top of the list—hitting both the Vegas and Western themes square on the nose, and also his namesakes are in the game—but of course the official soundtrack contains not a single Elvis song, self-evidently due to the cost of licensing them.

For all of you Eurostrip One citizens and city slickers out there, check the discographies of Elvis, Roy Rogers, Marty Robbins, Hank Williams Sr., Johnny Cash, Red Foley, Gene Autry, Tex Ritter, and Eddy Arnold. The Rat Pack hits are fairly easy to find and don't bear going into.

The point is: You have to make your own mod if you want the good shit in there. It can all be ripped from YouTube, and most likely simply grafted into an existing simple radio mod with some tweaks.

CONELRAD actually has a ton of good shit that fits right in with Fallout, if not specifically NV. It even turned me onto the AMAZING Louvin Brothers whose sound is also quintessentially New Vegas:

Made it onto my Fallout-themed playlist:

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/4woikabe6pT2s4MklFSOE6?si=32tZL3GRQpCsIhG-U2XDbw

Incidentally, added Cattle Call. Do let me know if you have more in the same vein.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
I have to disagree.

CONELRAD is a great music radio... for Fallout 3 and 4, sure. But it's heavily centered around nuclear war and anti-communism and such that is not present in New Vegas' music selection.
For New Vegas I use Mojave Music Radio Extended.

But like real life radios, nothing beats a custom selection of tracks. Sometimes you get a banger, but quite often I have to turn off the radio because the song is shit. And guess what: with a custom, personal track, no need to worry about a lawsuit from Elvis' family.

Last edited:

Ventidius

Arbiter
When it comes to immersive music, Rat Pack material is definitely the way to go for me. In retrospect, it's a crime this song didn't make it into the game:

It would have fit perfectly. In general, I think the game needs more Dean Martin. The problem was indeed likely licensing costs. Ah well, that's what modding is there for.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
I edited one of my radio mods to trim down the shitload of songs I didn't care about (from 85 to 20, that's how many I disliked). And added a few Elvis songs.

Here's the track list, and the download link. Tracks don't play in this order, so pay no mind to the five consecutive songs at the bottom.

1.) Pete Seeger - Home on the Range
2.) Billy Jack Wills - Troubles
3.) Tex Ritter & The Dinning Sisters - You Are My Sunshine
4.) Jesse Ashlock - My Bank Account Is Gone
5.) The Inkspots - Maybe
6.) Rosalie Sorrels - Empty Cot in the Bunkhouse Tonight
7.) Golden Gate Quartet - Nobody Knows The Trouble I've Seen
8.) Marty Robbins - Smokin' Cigarettes and Drinkin' Coffee Blues
9.) Gene Austin - Lonesome Road
10.) Billy Adams & The Rock-a-Teers - Walking Star
11.) Doc Watson - Wabash Cannonball
12.) Brownie McGhee - Freight Train Blues
13.) Helen Humes - Song of the Wanderer
14.) Bobbie Lawson & The An-tones - If You Want My Love
15.) Louis Armstrong - A Kiss To Build A Dream On
16.) Marty Robbins - That's All Right
17.) Marty Robbins - The Ballad of Thunder Road
18.) The Inkspots - I Don't Want To Set The World On Fire
19.) Billy Adams & The Rock-a-Teers - You Heard Me Knockin'
20.) Don Edwards - My Hero Gene Autry & There's A Rainbow on the Rio Colorado
21.) Elvis Presley - Viva Las Vegas
22.) Elvis Presley - Suspicious Minds
23.) Elvis Presley - Hound Dog
24.) Elvis Presley - Always On My Mind
25.) Elvis Presley - Can't Help Falling In Love

I feel almost inclined to have She's A Lady, but eh.

I edited one of my radio mods to trim down the shitload of songs I didn't care about (from 85 to 20, that's how many I disliked). And added a few Elvis songs.

Here's the track list, and the download link. Tracks don't play in this order, so pay no mind to the five consecutive songs at the bottom.

1.) Pete Seeger - Home on the Range
2.) Billy Jack Wills - Troubles
3.) Tex Ritter & The Dinning Sisters - You Are My Sunshine
4.) Jesse Ashlock - My Bank Account Is Gone
5.) The Inkspots - Maybe
6.) Rosalie Sorrels - Empty Cot in the Bunkhouse Tonight
7.) Golden Gate Quartet - Nobody Knows The Trouble I've Seen
8.) Marty Robbins - Smokin' Cigarettes and Drinkin' Coffee Blues
9.) Gene Austin - Lonesome Road
10.) Billy Adams & The Rock-a-Teers - Walking Star
11.) Doc Watson - Wabash Cannonball
12.) Brownie McGhee - Freight Train Blues
13.) Helen Humes - Song of the Wanderer
14.) Bobbie Lawson & The An-tones - If You Want My Love
15.) Louis Armstrong - A Kiss To Build A Dream On
16.) Marty Robbins - That's All Right
17.) Marty Robbins - The Ballad of Thunder Road
18.) The Inkspots - I Don't Want To Set The World On Fire
19.) Billy Adams & The Rock-a-Teers - You Heard Me Knockin'
20.) Don Edwards - My Hero Gene Autry & There's A Rainbow on the Rio Colorado
21.) Elvis Presley - Viva Las Vegas
22.) Elvis Presley - Suspicious Minds
23.) Elvis Presley - Hound Dog
24.) Elvis Presley - Always On My Mind
25.) Elvis Presley - Can't Help Falling In Love

I feel almost inclined to have She's A Lady, but eh.

The one I linked can also remove shitty songs that have no business going in the game like Seven Nation Army or Welcome to the Jungle done in a folk manner.

the mole

Learned
Shitposter
is world of pain any good

I'm feeling the nostalgia well up in me but it will be way too easy honestly

also I'm worried it will conflict with increased npcs and creatures mod

last playthrough I used a mod to increase players and enemies per cell by like 4

laclongquan

Arcane
Reinstall mod organizer, then play both f3, fnv a bit to "loosen the files" so to speak, before TTW deign to run.

Pretty good TC. I can judge Fallout 3's writing purely on its own merit instead of getting gameplay in the way.

And premilinary verdict is: NOT at Fallout 1/2/NV level, but serviceable. Based on Megaton, 3 Dog, Yearling samples.

Better than Morrowind at least. it's not full of hot air like MW.

And before you up in arms and yelling "Apologist!" Let me point that's backhanded compliment. As I reviewed in top 70, Morrowind writing is like a donkey hoof to the face, damaging gamer's intelligence as it goes.

And compared to FNV, seriously, the qualitative difference is pronounced. It's a like serviceable coffee without any aroma, compared to a first class grounds, prepared by skilled hands, pour into a beautiful cup and emanating a soul-hooking aroma.

I can see already a few quest where a talented writers can put down some difference with very tiny changes. Fallout3's writers, frankly speaking, dont have that spark of talent that will make you pay attention to their products. No soul, no poetic vibe, no historical weight.

One word of faint praise in this aspect: They are not bad that make you cringe through their writings. Which is no small feat considering other games in 2020s.

I can totally recommend this game to an unsuspecting gamer without caring about his taste. At the very least he wont be cringed too much~

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom