Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News HammerHelm brews 1.0 Release

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: HammerHelm; SuperSixStudios

HammerHelm has been released on Steam for those looking for a bit of colony sim with their CRPG. Take on the role of a dwarf that wants to live above ground, build that town, craft some items, hit the dungeons, do quests. No sale on this one, but it's been in Early Access for a while and the reviews are pretty good. Here's some other stuff:

• Build a town with over 45 structures including farms, breweries, weapon smiths and cooks
  • Explore the world and its many creatures in numerous dungeons, caves, mines and more
  • Complete quests and manage your town to ensure the citizens are safe and happy
  • Craft over 100 items from armor and weapons to decor for your home
  • Fight dangerous enemies in a fast-paced, action combat system

I think I'd be happier if you were striking the earth, but that's all the other dwarf games.

Having devoured the genres of action, adventure, arcade, and dating sims, RPGs have turned their insatiable hunger towards the city builders. Will this beast ever be sated? How long will we idly stand by while another hapless genre falls prey?

buffalo bill

Arcane
why is this garbage front page news?

lizard people conspiracy to destroy rpgcodex by spamming total shit multiple times a day on front page?

Darkozric

Arbiter
Edgy
Saint_Coprophilus, protector of the turds
rating_shit.png

Please protect us from good games
I will light a candle for you.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Having devoured the genres of action, adventure, arcade, and dating sims, RPGs have turned their insatiable hunger towards the city builders. Will this beast ever be sated? How long will we idly stand by while another hapless genre falls prey?

Blame Dwarf Fortress, which put a decent behind the scenes RPG system in for the autonomous dwarves that run around your area. Even if you play DF the way it started and ignore the roguelike mode, all the dwarves run around and build up their abilities in whatever they're doing in a system that's fairly logical for the type of game it is, similar to how Elder Scrolls handles advancement of skills. It's hands off for the player, but it ensures that your digger dwarves get better at digging by digging. Works well for the colony sim mode, but it also works pretty good for the rogue-like mode of the game. At some point, you have to wonder while playing if you can't do something you can do in the rogue-like mode that you can do in the colony sim mode and vice versa. So, you wind up with things like HammerHelm, where you play a character but can also deal with a colony sim.

Dwarf Fortress pretty much made the colonist development via an RPG system sort of a standard in the genre. While a lot of the games in the colony sim genre are quasi or straight up clones of DF, like Gnomoria and RimWorld, it's become a feature that most players will expect in of the genre.

Honestly, I'm shocked that Mount & Blade II didn't go this route. I wondered why, when playing Warlord, why I couldn't take my mountains of gold and just build a castle. Maybe not build them piece by piece or building by building like you do in HammerHelm, but it seemed kind of odd to me that the kingdoms fought over the same static assets but nothing new ever appeared on the landscape. I can buy a pre-existing workshop, but I can't just build one? I can take over a keep, but I can't just build one? It just seems like something you should be able to do in the sequel and it's one reason why M&BII seems less like a sequel and more like a remake of Warlord.

That said, I think I would much rather be able to build underground than an above ground town if I'm a dwarf.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Needs dwarf tossing mini-game. I recall fable and the "punt a chicken" game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom