Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Total War: Warhammer III

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
The incline is that it's the last fantasy Total War game. I'm getting "buy Tactics to fund Van Buren" flashbacks.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
But the Fantasy TW games were miles ahead of the historical ones.

Only because Fantasy games are held to a lower standard from a tactical point of view. The emphasis is on fun, which helps distract from the fact that CA hasn't been able to produce a good battle system and competent AI in 21 years.

I don't disagree. I had more fun with TW than with any CA game since a modded M2TW.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Only because Fantasy games are held to a lower standard from a tactical point of view. The emphasis is on fun, which helps distract from the fact that CA hasn't been able to produce a good battle system and competent AI in 21 years.
Yeah, let's pretend that there were no Empire Total War 30 real life minute duels with artillery. Or shogun Pay2Win multiplayer and mirror matches. Also, there were no regular Total War tournaments with 30k+ viewers prior to WhTW.

Self-Ejected

underground nymph

I care not!
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Really wish they would implement some kind of limitations on armies compositions based both on individual lords and on infrastructure a-la tomb kings.
Current mods I’ve so far discovered tend to fuck up the balance one way or another. And yet I still prefer playing with them.

LizardWizard

Cipher
Did they make the combat fun yet?

WH combat is much more varied and fun compared to the mirror army days of Rome/Shogun2 (or MTW2 Super Generals which were basically heroes). But there are plenty of mods (that don't even disable achievements if you care about that garbage) that will tickle your autism.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
They're already fun and varied, yeah. Sieges are the problem. They're utter shit. I use mods to remove them entirely at this point

zapotec

Liturgist
It's fun until you start to fight infinite armies of dragons, hydras, ancient dinosaurs, steam tank and so on. A unit limiter is needed both for you and the AI

A horse of course

THe only caveat I have with unit limiters is that they can make Tier 4/5 walled city garrisons (and capitals) unreasonably powerful for campaign balance, and that they make some of the quest battles unreasonably hard (some are Tier 3 meme stacks), though I hate quest battles after doing them the first time anyway. I still usually play with unit limters enabled in most modded campaigns.

just a newfag

Literate
wb87jtm6xae61.png
Drones.

just a newfag

Literate
People starting connecting start into signs and we are at the point where it is no longer possible to define whether it is a joke or people actually do this.
gifQVs.jpeg

I'd rather see Empire: Total War 2. Because most of its problems were solved in WHTW - units being able to hold formation, for example and artillery balance. Downsides are, of course, is that WHTW also balanced artillery with flying units and magic but variety of artillery and cavalry coult compensate. Shit, I still remember how your super elite shooters could be slaughtered bceause it will maneuver for minutes without firing a shot.
Empire's problems were solved in Shogun 2.

Mazisky

Magister
They're already fun and varied, yeah. Sieges are the problem. They're utter shit. I use mods to remove them entirely at this point

They officially confirmed they will get a huge rework in WH3. Really curious about what they have done

Last edited:

Mazisky

Magister

They officially confirmed they will get a huge rework in WH3. Really curious about what they have done

When they originally said that, they cited the quest battle siege in Warden and the Pauch as a model. Not a great sign.

I don't know what are you talking about. The quote is from february 2020, Warden and Paunch was not even announced.

A horse of course

When they originally said that, they cited the quest battle siege in Warden and the Pauch as a model. Not a great sign.

I don't know what are you talking about. The quote is from february 2020, Warden and Paunch was not even announced.

In one of the more recent(ish) interviews they were asked about siege battles being shit (yet again) and said they're aware people think they're shit and are working on improving them. They then cited the Tor Yvresse(or whatever) quest battle as an example of their...efforts.

Tyrr

Liturgist

Warden and Paunch had quest siege battles? Are they only in the vortex campaign?
I only played it in FE and didn't got them.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom