Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Wizardry 8 Enhancements - A Call to Arms!

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
so if i understand correctly, Wizfast, fastanim, tweakfix(speed up the game for Windows 8/10) are necessary for wiz8 on steam, to bring it up to snuff? and Enhanced 0.9 is sort of an overhaul of sorts? thanks for the responses guys, really appreciate it! <3

Darth Canoli

Arcane
so if i understand correctly, Wizfast, fastanim, tweakfix(speed up the game for Windows 8/10) are necessary for wiz8 on steam, to bring it up to snuff? and Enhanced 0.9 is sort of an overhaul of sorts? thanks for the responses guys, really appreciate it! <3

If you use enhanced, there is a fastcombat mod which replaced fastcombat + fastanim.
I wouldn't use enhanced on a first "real" playthrough though, it's still a mod and could add some bugs or glitches.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
I’m just using the 0.9 that comes with the rest (and xcept maybe Wizfast?).

TigerKnee

Arcane
I believe you can knock out NPCs to bring them to areas they don't usually go, though they'll take a stat penalty and also whine at you all the way.

Personally I just mod the game to remove all the travel restrictions.

Desiderius

Patron
Those are the kind of mods that suck. Just go ahead and use and editor to give yourself 100 on all stats.

Reality

Learned
Most of the "mage" type NPCs can easily be knocked out just by holding shift and running in a circle since they'll have nowhere near your own parties stamina - the Gadgeteer/Bard ones can be knocked even faster usnig their instruments outside of battle... Vi/RFS are probbbably the only real hard ones to knock out but they have no travel restriction anyway.

Desiderius

Patron
But why?

It's part of the game working around that. Having a ball this time trying to get Myles trained up for the first time since he's the only one who will go to Rapax Rift (other than Robot). Also getting Saxx early and dropping boring Vi.

Desiderius

Patron
Lol found a roll of Duct Tape right where you start the game with 8th level Detect Secrets. Is that the 95 skill check someone was talking about.

Would have been nice to own King Crab and Gregor. Using it for first time this playthrough and working nicely (lets you get higher level Paralyze than would otherwise be available).

Piotrovitz

Savant
Duct Tape beside crash site can be found without any issues - are you saying that you got back there later on and had to cast lvl 8 detect secrets to find it? : |

Anyway, all this writing about Wiz 8 triggered me to start another expert run (probably will never finish it, same as dozens of previous ones), but so far it's fun.
Have to avoid some fights, since I don't have pure divinity caster, so no magic screen or armourplate - will have to wait until Valk catches up.

I'm using only Wiz Enhanced and edited in Cosmic Forge RPCS area restrictions - it's boring to always roll with VI and android. I wanna check Sparkles (never had a ranger, I'm curious how often often ranged instakill procs) and Madras (just to check how high level gadgets, like the tsunami one, will do). Was thinking about the T'Rang samurai, but I think you recruit him after completing couple of quests, which makes him worthless by the time he's available.

Poseidon00

Arcane
Didn't take a gadgeteer on my first playthrough but am curious to see how they work. I'm swimming in special bard equipment atm so taking one was a good choice. My ninja uses alchemy all day trying to keep the bards stamina up after using instruments but whatev

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
So what types of gadgets exist? And can the gadgeteer invent or craft some?

Piotrovitz

Savant
Like a bard, but with less build options, and gadgets mainly replace priest spells (late game some alchemy ones too), while bard's instruments a more of a mage spells equivalent.

Desiderius

Patron
Jesus people you don’t have to mod the game to shake up your NPC lineup. Just swap different ones in for different areas. Currently doing Trynton with Myles and Saxx to train them for Rapax Rift (Myles) and Ascension Peak (Saxx). Likewise those two will go to all the Retro Dungeons as well.

Desiderius

Patron
Gadge also has a Modern Weapon that levels along with you. You can load it up with special ammo for tough fights and you’ve got a good chance to hit since you want DEX for Locks and Traps and Enfineering.

I always run both Bard and Gadge. Kind of the unique feature of the game. Bard had Unique Armor that gives +12 Iron Body so I’m going all in on Shield and Vit this time.

Darth Canoli

Arcane

It's not really crafting but most gadgets are made by combining two items.
Also, engineering allows to combine other things, that's how you get the doubleshoot crossbow and the tripleshoot one.

Piotrovitz

Savant
Jesus people you don’t have to mod the game to shake up your NPC lineup. Just swap different ones in for different areas. Currently doing Trynton with Myles and Saxx to train them for Rapax Rift (Myles) and Ascension Peak (Saxx). Likewise those two will go to all the Retro Dungeons as well.
Modding the game is a bit of an exaggeration, since you just literally have to tick some boxes in Comic Forge.

The whole point of this is:
1. Swapping RPCs is a pain in the ass - you dump one before he refuses to enter some area and if you want to pick him up later you have backtrack all the way to his homebase. This is insanely frustrating, that's why most people stick with Vi and android, because they have least number of restrictions.

2. Having NPCs you never had in your main party (like ranger in my case), just to try them out. The portraits/voiceovers/personalities are top notch, and I want to try them all (just think of Saxx). On top of that, I'm always kinda attached to joinable NPCs (assuming they're fun) and detest rpgs where you have to swap you party constantly.

On a side note - how is the ranger's crit chance calculated?
Is it growing with lvl up, or it's rather a constant through the whole game, e.g 5%?

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
It's supposed to be based on his ranged combat skill, I believe. But like with most formulas in Wiz8, we'll never know exactly.

Desiderius

Patron
They’ve datamined just about every formula but that one.

Desiderius

Patron
I’ve been going for Eagle Eye on Gadge but that might be wrong since I’m using it for Locks & Traps.

Definitely committed to Omnigun (which means you don’t need STR for anything other than carrying capacity) but only skill that uses Senses is Ranged Combat.

Don’t need Powercast so can lv INT at 70 or so and don’t need Piety at all. DEX/SPD might be way to go.

Desiderius

Patron
LS goes from 7% chance to 12% as you lvl from 1 to 20. Key thing is it only triggers if you attacked on the previous turn. So if you alternate casting and attacking it never triggers.

Build your Sam to focus on buffing and melee with high SPD/DEX to get Max number of procs.

DraQ

Arcane
Gadgie is basically a bard with a gun.
Few important differences:
  • Theme is different, obviously.
  • Gadgie has gadgie-only gun they upgrade over the course of the game so in the end it has insane rate of fire, accepts insane variety of ammo and does insane variety of status effects. You could technically make a melee gadgie or multiclass later on but it kind of passes up this important and cool aspect of the class (you can experiment with some other guns as situational alt weapons).
  • Gadgie has to craft most of their gadgets from parts. Usually you can only make one specific gadget out of specific parts, but there are exceptions. Some gadgets don't require assembly and a handful have limited uses. You need to guess what can be combined with what to make specific gadgets.
  • Gadgets start weaker than instruments in early game but level off later on.
  • You don't get gadgie specific equippable gear set (but there are some nice items like carry-all braces).
  • Gadgie can make some very useful items for other characters - specifically double- and triple-shot crossbows.
  • As a boring, nerdy kind of person gadgie doesn't improve R&R when camping.
  • Gadgie can't pickpocket nor bullshit people.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom