Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

D&D Dark Alliance - co-op action brawler where you play Drizzt's party

LudensCogitet

Learned
Here's a Gameplay Video:

So I'm two minutes into this thing and you complete a mission objective and get a reward for walking 50 yards and pushing the jump button once. Modern video games are broken.

EDIT: Ok. couldn't make it to the 4 minute mark. Braindead enemies stand around while you kill them in big empty arenas. Second objective is to "destroy the ballista" which actually means kill some cannon fodder and then hit the attack button next to a prop.

Then you walk down a glorified corridor to another big open arena with the same braindead enemies in it.
I rate this depressing / 10.

Last edited:

LudensCogitet

Learned
I want to see some footage where the player attacks no one. I have a strong suspicion that the NPCs can kill everything without any help. This game reminds me of when a little kid goes up to an arcade cabinet on attract mode and acts like he's playing. I've pretty much completely disconnected from AAA games, gaming "news", etc. If this is what is happening out there then video games really are a waste of time that rots your brain.

It's rotting mine and I'm just watching footage.

Peachcurl

Cipher
Preclaimer: I didn't watch most of those 20 minutes of gameplay.

I want to see some footage where the player attacks no one. I have a strong suspicion that the NPCs can kill everything without any help. This game reminds me of when a little kid goes up to an arcade cabinet on attract mode and acts like he's playing. I've pretty much completely disconnected from AAA games, gaming "news", etc. If this is what is happening out there then video games really are a waste of time that rots your brain.

Is that gameplay footage with NPCs (i.e., computer controlled), or are those other players? I mean, it's a coop game, so shouldn't IGN test it as such? :/

Either way, this is likely not a AAA game.

Max Heap

Arcane
This game feels more like a sequel to D&D Demon Stone rather than Dark Alliance:

And just like back in the day it will be one of those cases where the developers were ordered to squeeze the D&D system into something where it doesn't really fit.

Except this time even the action gameplay elements feel dated.

And to be entirely honest, those weren't even that original back in the early 2000s (with the PS2 LotR games around and whatnot).

I almost feel sorry for the guys that are making this game.
Working on a license like D&D used to be a dream project for a lot of old school developers.
But this just screams "soulless commissioned work".

Silentstorm

Learned

Not really?

Only Nintendo gives an automatic win option for some games if you lose a lot and even then you can just not use it, for all the complaints about games getting easier...you still need to actually do stuff, like, Doom Eternal is a massive AAA title and a big complaint some gamers had is that you die more easily than in any other game in the franchise, this despite the game revealing through a scene that you are absolutely the same guy from Doom 1 and 2...just apparently more squishy after years of slaughtering thousands and thousands of demons.

The only exception being more pacific games that don't have violence anyways like Animal Crossing, but those go for a completely different market.

Zer0wing

Cipher
Should have just publish a remake/remaster of BG Dark Alliance 1-2 to test the grounds instead of shitting in its own pants that spectacularly.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong

I can tell you for a fact, that no modern game allows NPCs to really do anything without the player. Just play any Left 4 Dead or Vermintide game (which, along with things like Warframe is the audience this game is targeting) and you know the AI will not be that competent. Is it braindead though? Yes, absolutely.

The comments section shows that this game will be a disaster. If the IGN crowd are Whinning about an action game, you know it's dead.
I give the layman some credit. Games in this genre with mediocre action have not been doing well at all, and that's likely because the competition is lifting that standard a lot higher. Godfall, Marvel's Avengers, Anthem, and now Dark Alliance. They're too mediocre and too boring both conceptually and seemingly gameplay-wise to deter anyone to stop playing Warframe or Destiny 2 (which is saying a LOT).

This game will fail like many D&D games before because they don't know how to get the right people for the job. I think a co-op looter slasher D&D thing could work, but not like this, and not with Drizzt's setting. Nobody wants to play as some boring book characters (two humans and a dwarf? Most players wouldn't even touch human), they would want to play their own Forgotten Realms character (or, you know, any other setting). They definitely don't want a mediocre copy of God of War reboot style combat, it would need to be a lot more skill-based and with a lot less HP bloat (see: Warframe).

Silentstorm

Learned
Can't wait for them to look at settings that were turned into beloved games before so we can get a Planescape action game.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It makes me motion sick. Why do people insist on this screen shake crap. It's like they don't want you to play the game. They keep getting the FOV wrong - it should be a meme by now where the camera is up the player's ass. There's all this special effect/attack crap in the way of enemies like fireworks every time you attack - like with Cattie Brie. It's a button masher where you have to hit a goblin 50 times just to kill it.

Animations are awful. Combat is garbage: with games like Shadow of Mordor and Batman, you just can't go back to this stuff from 20 years ago. Combat is probably one of the few areas that have improved in games like this.

And finally (because I'm a nerd) the Drizzt novels span 30 years or more. It's interesting that they chose to go back to the early days. In the current (crap) novels Cattie Brie is a Mage/Ceric adept at crafting magic arms & armor, Drizzt is a Ranger/Monk, and Regis is some sort if killer Rogue with alchemy skills. Bruenor and Wulfgar are still the same, but all characters are epic level I think. They could all have been more than just button mashers.

Siveon

Bot
Drizzt is a Ranger/Monk
*silent cough* ... nothing wrong with being a Monk... *volume of the statement lowers into whisper*.

>.>
Well, the point he was making is that these dull designs/characters in-game could've had creative and interesting options. So in this case no theres nothing wrong with monk.

But I think it was still a problem that they chose the novel chars. Nobody cares anymore, why pidgeonhole themselves?

ADL

Prophet
Why Valve hasn't made a Vermintide/Dark Alliance-like game in the Dota universe already I'll never understand. Having to choose between Vermintide 2 which gets no content and this which looks like shit is suffering.

Siveon

Bot
Why Valve hasn't made a Vermintide/Dark Alliance-like game in the Dota universe already I'll never understand. Having to choose between Vermintide 2 which gets no content and this which looks like shit is suffering.
Oh, that's a good idea actually. A Valve game in this genre would likely have a lot of content and possible moddibility. And Dota seems to be a universe people like (they made an anime so), and a lot of chars to use.

Generic-Giant-Spider

Augh. There's these sequences where the video rumbles erratically. I felt very nauseous from watching the gameplay. I couldn't survive for more than four minutes without getting mild headaches and the urge to puke my afternoon supper.

MANNNN, take your little BITCH ASS stomach outta here ya fuckin' eye disease! This is a GAMER'S GAME. Oooh, you wanna play but your poor wittle stomach can't hwandle the scawee wittle shakes? Pop a dimenhydrinate, PUSSY. Hahaha, this is DUNGEONS & DRAGONS as GOD intended. This game is going to light the genre on fire.

INNOVATION AND INCLINE ABOUND, BABY! Look at those animations. IMPACTFUL hits. You niggaz see when my main man, big Wulfgar was smacking those frozen adventurers and how majestic and smooth it looked? How bout when babygurl Catti-Brie ain't need no gameplay description to tell HER how to play and went point blank archery to get an UNCOMMON GREEN HELM (!!!!!!) from a YUGE chest in the middle of the room?!

When Drizzt had his, not one, but TWO scimitars out and rather than show off with them or do the advertised backstabs (likely to keep your cocks from exploding in jizz, thanks based mercy god IGN) he opted to take it easy and have his MOFUGGIN BLACK PANTHER (RIP Chad Boseman or Bozzwick or w/e lol I gotta look up my Twitter follows brb) come out for like two seconds and do some crazy shit I didn't even see because I was so excited!

Jesus Christ, listen... listen... I think we should all buy this game and play it together. Fuck Pink Eye here, this nigga will throw up over everyone so he can be in Crispy's party or something. Let's do it! I love this idea! I love games! I'm a gamer!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom