Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CD Projekt's Cyberpunk 2077 Update 2.0 + Phantom Liberty Expansion Thread

Zer0wing

Cipher
That said you could argue that Deus Ex is same while having even worse shooting. Obviously Deus Ex is a 20 year old game so that says a lot about the state of the industry.
Level design and gameplay in general are things that are not prone to get old and in these aspects, Deus Ex still better twenty years after.

Gargaune

Magister
I think it has very good FPS gameplay(except bosses) and level design, everything else is subpar to average. That said you could argue that Deus Ex is same while having even worse shooting. Obviously Deus Ex is a 20 year old game so that says a lot about the state of the industry.
You could also argue that the Earth orbits the Moon I make amazing analogies, but you'd be wrong. Deus Ex endures as the high-water mark for Action and RPG hybrids, and CDPR should've had the good sense to shamelessly copy its resource and progression systems at the very least. No, it's not entirely without flaw (e.g. combat needed a bit more work, stealth was too forgiving), some of which nü-Deus Ex tried to alleviate, but in streamlining some RPG elements it still left the original as the gold standard in the genre.

In fact, many of Cyberpunk's design failures could simply be filed under "not enough like Deus Ex."

Last edited:

retinoid

Savant
I think it has very good FPS gameplay(except bosses) and level design, everything else is subpar to average. That said you could argue that Deus Ex is same while having even worse shooting. Obviously Deus Ex is a 20 year old game so that says a lot about the state of the industry.
You could also argue that the Earth orbits the Moon, but you'd be wrong. Deus Ex endures as the high-water mark for Action and RPG hybrids, and CDPR should've had the good sense to shamelessly copy its resource and progression systems at the very least. No, it's not entirely without flaw (e.g. combat needed a bit more work, stealth was too forgiving), some of which nü-Deus Ex tried to alleviate, but in streamlining some RPG elements it still left the original as the gold standard in the genre.

In fact, many of Cyberpunk's design failures could simply be filed under "not enough like Deus Ex."
The Earth and Moon orbit around a common center of mass called the Earth-Moon Barycenter. So in a sense, the Earth does orbit the moon.

:backawayslowly:

RRRrrr

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
My point is that after the first third of the game V can use and do ANYTHING anyway. You don't really need stealth skills to play stealthily, or gun skills to pop heads, or hacking to hack shit.
If you use bullet time or berserk mode, you have to give up hacking and vice versa. Gunplay is not just popping headshots.

Wesp5

Arcane
Implants would seem to offer the best way of buliding a character in an s-f type context, but your build is as much to do with your clothes as your implants in this game, which is goofy.

I agree with that, the clothing system completely sucks! I mean you can find a bandana with more armor than a helmet? That was just done for the looter-shooter crowd. In my opinion, clothes should have reasonable armor values and nothing more. As I wrote, I didn't ever need many implants because weapons and clothes are powerful enough on their own for now. As for being able to buy anything by mid game, I think I'm not there yet ;)...

Zer0wing

Cipher
Bethesda's last 10 years is riddled with scandals, scams, controversies, lies, garbage products and other assorted scummery. Bethesda has been p. much the developer equivalent of Dr. Nick Riviera, the fake doctor from the Simpsons.
Uh... I don't know about that, boss. Bethesda sold itself off to Microsoft not so long after Obsidian did...

retinoid

Savant
Company earning huge profits pays bonuses to staff, with the majority going to managers. Wow what a fucking scoop Schnozzer, you are a fucking genius.

Aren't these the same retards saying that publishers paying bonuses based off MC score and reception are unethical and should pay their staff regardless? Isn't that exactly what they are doing?

ultimanecat

Arcane
Imagine saying a game selling 13 million copies in less than a month is a “flop”, and in the same sentence complaining about a payout based on high earnings for said “flop”.

Zer0wing

Cipher
Bethesda didn't sell shit it was their owner Zenimax that pawned them off like a cheap hooker.
Yeah, that sounds about right and more correct but the point still stands. One would not outright sell its golden antelope just like that. Not to someone with Obsidian in their sweatshop district.

Tyrr

Liturgist
this guy has such a hard on for going after cd project. he's like some agent of the inquisition
I read they didn't treated him like a celebrity in the past. It was some funny story with CDPR only sending a low ranking employ to talk to him.

And we all know, Dwarfs hold grudges.

Zeriel

Arcane
Schreier and his eternal class struggle, while working for a multibillionaire Bloomberg, never gets old

He's the one gaming journo who found a shred of credibility. He's the next step up from the journos who write all day about how video games are racist--he just hates being a gaming journo and badly wants to be a elite, only he at least marginally succeeded in being notable outside the gaming journo cliche. Still a total loser, but he's a total loser who will never give up that line because it's all he's got justifying his career path.

gerey

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Imagine saying a game selling 13 million copies in less than a month is a “flop”, and in the same sentence complaining about a payout based on high earnings for said “flop”.
The game is objectively flawed, I'd even argue it is downright bad, so I can understand why some employees might be salty the people chiefly responsible for the state the game was shipped in, and the state the game is now, are rewarding themselves with lavish bonuses. They certainly have done nothing to actually earn them - except perhaps luck out with Witcher 3 and hype.

Also, while the game itself might have sold well, it remains to be seen whether CDPR is going to be as lucky next time around.

And yes, I'm fully aware that costumers are dumbfucks that have the memory of goldfishes, but BioWare is a good example of what happens to a company that either consistently or colossally fucks up (or both) for retards to eventually catch up and learn their lessons - and I can't really think of any flop bigger and more notorious in gaming in recent years that Cyberpunk 2077 - so people are likely to remember.

ultimanecat

Arcane
The game is objectively flawed, I'd even argue it is downright bad, so I can understand why some employees might be salty the people chiefly responsible for the state the game was shipped in, and the state the game is now, are rewarding themselves with lavish bonuses. They certainly have done nothing to actually earn them - except perhaps luck out with Witcher 3 and hype.

Also, while the game itself might have sold well, it remains to be seen whether CDPR is going to be as lucky next time around.

And yes, I'm fully aware that costumers are dumbfucks that have the memory of goldfishes, but BioWare is a good example of what happens to a company that either consistently or colossally fucks up (or both) for retards to eventually catch up and learn their lessons - and I can't really think of any flop bigger and more notorious in gaming in recent years that Cyberpunk 2077 - so people are likely to remember.
Whether the game hurt their brand or not is one discussion, but it’s not the one Jason “I hate capitalism” Schreier started out to have. And don’t bother pointing out how retarded he was being either, because he’s not having it.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
The bosses should've absolutely given up 50% of their bonuses in favour of all the drudges whose eyes imploded into a bloody poodle from a year of non-stop crunch.

But what do I know about giving up 3 milion dorra.

Paul_cz

Arcane
They certainly have done nothing to actually earn them - except perhaps luck out with Witcher 3 and hype.
Apart from, you know, starting and managing the company for 25 years.
That's how it works. People who found and manage successful companies get rewarded for it. After all, anyone can start a company. Not everyone has the balls or desire for it, and not everyone succeeds, and that's why employees exist.

Still, no denying that the board did fuck up by releasing the game prematurely. But it was still extremely successful, and since their contracts are tied to revenue, they get to share in that success. Nothing surprising about this, but Schreier will never let a good struggle session go to waste. He's a good apparatchik.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom