Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Expeditions: Rome is officially a thing

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Why would they be happier with fantasy?
Proper Expeditions in a fantasy setting would be nice, no falsehood.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Why would they be happier with fantasy?
Proper Expeditions in a fantasy setting would be nice, no falsehood.

Warhammer: Expeditions could be p. cool
I mean...sure. But how would a fantasy Expeditions stand out? It'd be just another isometric, party based RPG. Reason I adored Conqiustador and Viking is bc they're beautifully rendered historical settings.

I disagree Expeditions: Warhammer would be cool. A fantasy Exp. game could only really be cool with a unique, original fantasy setting. Not Warhammer, not DnD, not LotR, not Conan, not any of this stuff. I can't give any examples since I don't read fantasy but I'm p. sure there are dozens of new, innovative, non-played out settings.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
But how would a fantasy Expeditions stand out? I
Been a fair amount of time since we had a fantasy RPG with expeditions style travelling and planning. Not since
Realms of Arkania HD

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Been a fair amount of time since we had a fantasy RPG with expeditions style travelling and planning.
What, you mean travelling across the map? Planning what?

Are you talking about the Conquistador or the Viking? Coz I don't know about any special travelling or planning mechanics in the Viking, it's the same exact stuff as in PoE. I mean you have the camping mechanics in the Viking I guess, so you need a little bit of planning with the rations and medicine but not any more than for the loot or chardev or any other aspect of a big RPG like that.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Been a fair amount of time since we had a fantasy RPG with expeditions style travelling and planning.
What, you mean travelling across the map? Planning what?

Are you talking about the Conquistador or the Viking? Coz I don't know about any special travelling or planning mechanics in the Viking, it's the same exact stuff as in PoE. I mean you have the camping mechanics in the Viking I guess, so you need a little bit of planning with the rations and medicine but not any more than for the loot or chardev or any other aspect of a big RPG like that.
More conquistador than viking.

elverkongen

Learned
You make it sound like Ex:Vikings is a discount AssCreed: Valhalla or the Vikings TV show or some other silly popamole crowdpleaser.

The artwork seems to want to draw comparison to "Vikings". Undercut pony tail man looks suspiciously like Ragnar, non-undercut pony tail man like Rollo, and the king in the second pic looks almost exactly like King Ælla from the show.

iu

3BiPQXF.jpg

Consul

Arbiter
Great to see another Expedition game being worked on. I enjoyed the other two immensely. Kind of diasappointed though that this won't focus on a Roman expedition to China, India or something along those lines, this would be far more interesting and original in my opinion, sort of a wasted potential.

SniperHF

Arcane
YES :hype:

Finally something interesting.

RE: Viking. I played it a launch, it certainly had problems but it was hardly borked. Conquistador had tons of problems too.
I don't get the obsession with the "one true experience" wait for the directors cut/ patched version whatever. Crap tons of games in the Codex top lists were way buggier than Viking on launch.

Irgsarzh

Novice
At this point, if they don't do a "remake" of Darklands under the monicker of "Expeditions: HRE", I'm going to be fuckin' disappointed.

Barbarian

Arcane
So basically you are a stand in for Julius Caesar? Keep in mind in Conquistador the player character was somewhat of a stand in for Cortez.

Not my first choice for a setting but I will happily play it. Loved both Conquistador and Vikings. I'm sure it will be another very enjoyable game in a sea of popamole.

And yes, Vikings was probably the best rpg of the last decade. Shame on the codex for not lambasting it with praise. Turn-based, tons of C&C, excelent gameplay/combat, good writing, fantastic soundtrack and well developed historical setting(a rarity). It did have balance issues and bugs at launch but that is no excuse to dismiss it or even ignore its existence(as most people here apparently do).

CaesarCzech

Scholar
But it also sounds like they took the expedition out of the Expeditions series. Maybe I'm wrong but it doesn't sound like a major theme of the game is going to be about vastly different cultures meeting for the first time.
You are sent from Rome to Greece. In what way isn't that an expedition? It's at least a military expedition. Then you're off to Gaul and also northern Africa. Sound like travelling to me.

I mentioned what I was referring to in the post you quoted. Sure any trip that has a purpose can be called an expedition. In that sense, every RPG has many "expeditions" in it. In this series, the first two games were about exploring unknown areas and coming into contact with previously unknown cultures. I liked that aspect of those games. Greece, Gaul and North Africa were well known to the Romans.

I'm glad the game is being made and I expect it to be good. But it seems like they dropped a major theme from the 1st two games. Not that I really blame them. I was surprised anyone would make a game about Conquistadors back in 2013. I can only imagine the social media screeching that would result from something like "Expeditions: Congo" today.

To be fair their whole stuff with Vikings and Conquistador was that they didnt force you to do what happened in history. you just had the option and they are niche enough that they dont get lot of absolute nutbag SJW fanatics but more of normies who can be atleast somewhat reasoned with even if they are stupid as brick they arent malicious

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom