Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Theseus: Journey to Athens - C&C RPG made in GMS 2

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Happy to hear that. I enjoy reactivity and replayability in my games. And a short run is a nice change from usual 30-40 hours investment required by rpgs, not to mention Bethemoths like Underrail, that require 3 times more.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Let me know what you think! I still plan to remake the game one day. I am leaving my current job in May, so I will finally have the opportunity to seriously delve back into the world of self-study and improve my programming skills.

What about improving the combat system; good examples would be KotC, Dungeon Rats (no magic example), Battle Brothers; and the encounter design (same examples except for BB) or something like Warbanners.

When/if it's done, what about a sequel?

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Yeah, it's short but very replayable. I don't know if Agesilaus consciously intended it, but it feels like you're someone in ancient Greece telling the story and you're picking and choosing from different versions of it that you've heard.

There was very little advance planning for the game, even in terms of the plot, but I am a big fan of Age of Decadence and wanted to capture some of that magic. The primary source material is very rich and the inconsistencies/alternatives lend themselves well to that sort of branching story-telling. There are a lot of obscure local myths and characters preserved in the source material; for a lot of these, you get just enough information to craft an interesting character and/or quest; they can become as much a part of the story as the player desires, and as a writer I'm not straight-jacketed into having them perform a certain action a certain way for certain reasons.

Let me know what you think! I still plan to remake the game one day. I am leaving my current job in May, so I will finally have the opportunity to seriously delve back into the world of self-study and improve my programming skills.

What about improving the combat system; good examples would be KotC, Dungeon Rats (no magic example), Battle Brothers; and the encounter design (same examples except for BB) or something like Warbanners.

When/if it's done, what about a sequel?

Yep, the inventory system, character/party attributes and skills, combat system, it all needs to be totally redone. I've played all the games you mention and you're right, they're solid examples. I'm pretty confident I would be remaking it in Unity, probably ORK Framework (which is what I want to use for my other project). I also need to do things like implement shops, and I need to add a lot of post-Epidauros content. I was just so burnt out with work, family and my haphazard/unplanned development style that I rushed the ending and didn't take time to polish anything. At the time, the things I really wanted to improve were also beyond my programming skill level and free time, and no doubt would have required major work on code that was very disorganised and long forgotten.

In terms of a sequel, I suppose that is the Theseus that most people are actually familiar with - going to Crete and slaying the minotaur. If I made a sequel, I would probably skip all that and do an old Theseus. Maybe the original kidnap of Helen of Troy with the help of Pirithous, and then going down to Hades to find Persephone and meeting Herakles. There's a lot of material to explore; maybe just start the game right after the minotaur story, with Theseus ditching Ariadne on an island and accidentally causing his dad to commit suicide.

Last edited:

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
There are a lot of obscure local myths and characters preserved in the source material; for a lot of these, you get just enough information to craft an interesting character and/or quest

Yeah, there's literally thousands of characters who have just enough of a story to spark your imagination but not so much that you're limited by it.

One thing that I think would be good about doing Crete is that you can include Phoenicians in it. I've always found their interactions with the Greeks to be fascinating.

Tavernking

Don't believe his lies
Developer
The game is already so short, instead of a sequel you'd be better of doing a remake with a longer storyline that involves the minotaur stuff etc.

I'm still yet to buy it because I heard it's over in 2 hours and I generally don't replay story games even if there's branching options. For 2 hours the price of this game is expensive compared to others

Moaning_Clock

SmokeSomeFrogs
Developer
For 2 hours the price of this game is expensive compared to others

It's like 5 bucks - and was on sale before for around 3,5$. I think 1 hour for 2-2.5$ isn't too bad honestly. But it will hit certainly new lows over time.

The game looks really interesting - I always liked the idea of wider games instead of long games (more decision paths, less long paths if that makes sense).

Tavernking

Don't believe his lies
Developer

It's like 5 bucks - and was on sale before for around 3,5$. I think 1 hour for 2-2.5$ isn't too bad honestly. But it will hit certainly new lows over time.

Ah that's good, looks like he reduced the price. Previously the full price was $10. I'll get it when it goes on sale next then.

Moaning_Clock

SmokeSomeFrogs
Developer
Sure enough the price drop wasn't that long ago. Would like to do the same but I don't know when I would play it. That it's on the shorter side actually makes me more inclined haha

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Ah that's good, looks like he reduced the price. Previously the full price was $10. I'll get it when it goes on sale next then.

It was 8.99 at most, but in an act of ENORMOUS MERCY I attempted to put it on sale for 50% off just now. Steam won't let me, it requires me to separate discounts by at least 6 weeks.

I'll put it on sale again at some point, but do you really want to leave a struggling poor indie developer penniless and on the side of the road??? Come on man

Darth Canoli

Arcane
It was 8.99 at most, but in an act of ENORMOUS MERCY I attempted to put it on sale for 50% off just now. Steam won't let me, it requires me to separate discounts by at least 6 weeks.

I'll put it on sale again at some point, but do you really want to leave a struggling poor indie developer penniless and on the side of the road??? Come on man

After watching the video, it looks like you took the same marketing courses as Pierre Begue...
I wonder if you could sell a solar powered refrigerator in the desert.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
If you don't appreciate total recall then I'm not sure you should even be allowed to play RPGs.

Tavernking

Don't believe his lies
Developer
You're competing with much better games that are priced at... $0. So you have to fill a niche. It looks like your game fills a niche. However 2 hours is far too fleeting and over so quick. A general rule of thumb I've always believed is that your game should cost no more than $1 for each hour of gameplay. Since I'm someone who doesn't replay story games even if they have branching storylines I value your game at $2.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
game should cost no more than $1 for each hour of gameplay

I hope you send big checks to the companies which greatly exceed that measurement. GabeN, Todd, take my 1000 bucks! :takemymoney:

Someone audit Tavernking's Steam account and check how many hours he logged on each title, and how much he paid for each one. He should donate the difference to the RPG Codex fund.*

:bunkertime:

* if he actually logged less hours, he is no true gamer and should be banished. no refunds.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Recently purchased the game and I'm going to play it soon. Looks nice at the first glance. I love ancient Greece and it's not a setting often explored by RPGs. I can only think of several games, mostly action RPGs like Titan Quest, Rise of the Argonauts, Numen, Assassin's Creed: Odyssey. So your approach is quite refreshing. Out of curiosity, approximately how long is the average playthrough?

Okay, after finishing the game two times (and using saves to check several other scenarios) I can finally give my impressions of the game. Warning, there are mild spoilers ahead.

What I really liked is the number of different scenarios that can develop, depending on your choices. You can get to Athens by different routes, with different allies, serving different gods, even in different forms. You can aid the King of Athens, or lay waste to the city. On the way there you have different options to tackle challenges in every town you visit. Once you complete every phase of your adventure you are provided with a report detailing the consequences of your actions. The story of Theseus' journey can be completely different for at least 3 playthroughs.

That said, a lot of what you can do relies heavily on your stats. However you don't really have influence over them. Stat points are rewarded to you for solving quests and depending on how you do it, you can get +1 strength or +1 intellect. It's not always logical or understandable, why certain solution granted you a point in this or that stat. Such construction of the game encourages save scumming to get optimal stats for the quests you wish to solve. Otherwise you might get locked out of some content. For example, I was unable to finish Poseidon's questline because with my "build" I had no way of getting the large turtle monster. Whatever I did, Sciron would either kick me to death (even though I had max dexterity which should allow me to avoid his kick!) or tell me to bring him some other travellers - of which there were none. During my other game I managed to defeat Sciron and feed him to the sea monster - but I came by land, so did not meet Poseidon and get his quest.

The construction of the game is somewhat similar to Age of Decadence, but there you could distribute skillpoints freely in order to tackle certain challenges. Here you have to possess a lot of metaknowledge to pick the optimal quest solutions. The game relies so much on statchecks that sometimes it does not provide you with the most obvious solution that should be available - violent one. For example the fisherman who got Asklepios' staff from the sea. I guess you can get it from him by virtue of charisma. But why can't you just beat him and take the artifact by force? Same with the worshippers of Apollo. I searched for a way to kill them, even provoked them during conversation, but the most I achieved is them leaving. Don't really know if its possible to battle them.

As for combat - it's a simple affair. Turn-based and party based. Usually the enemy has numerical superiority. Theseus can only move or hit things, some party members have more options - one guy is an archer, one lady heals and throws explosives, another guy blesses his allies. However, despite those options, the only valid tactics seem to be kiting and avoiding being swarmed. While the battlefields can have unusual shapes (which makes it more difficult to avoid being caught in a corner) unfortunately there seem to be no natural barriers in them, which would allow some more advanced stratagems - like proper positioning or forcing the enemies into narrow passages. I'd love to see some rocks or trees positioned here and there, or maybe even a river with a narrow bridge for more tactical depth.

I'm not really sure how much stats and artifacts matter in battles. In my last playthrough Theseus had dexterity of 3, but he was missing very often, as often as in my previous game, when his dexterity was 1. Fortunately, he seemed to be more effective in evading hits. I don't know how armor works (stole the helmet from the temple of Athens) and how damage is calculated (had the club of one of the bandits). All in all due to lack of feedback its not a very memorable experience.

Also the difficulty curve is a bit weird. The most difficult battles appear at the very beginning (bandits in Troizen, I had to fight this battle 3 times to win) and during the mid-game (if you anger the flute-guy he will attack you in Epidauros with lots of sea crabs - and it's quite brutal). The endgame however is piss easy - Theseus is already powerful and you are provided with strong allies. I never had any trouble with the final encounter, no matter which path I've chosen. It's a pity, for the final victory should be more rewarding.

I liked the story - it's simple yet effective. Writing was decent. However it must be sad that the game is very front-loaded. There are numerous activities in Troizen and Epidauros but very few on the outskirts of Corinth and in Megarid. The Athens section is also quite brief. I'd love to see those locations as detailed as the first two. On the other hand, atmosphere of the game is splendind - supported by minimalist visuals and pretty music.

Despite my criticism I enjoyed Theseus: Journey to Athens. Mostly because I love Greek mythology and your game captures its feel quite well. If you really plan to remake the game in new engine I'd love to see the effect and would sure buy it again. Especially if you'd fix some of the things I pointed out and add a little more content. The idea of the game is fresh. However, this gem needs a lot of grinding before it can really shine.

Last edited:

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Lord_Potato thanks, that's a quality review and a lot of what you say rings true. The game has little to no polish. My main focus, and really the only thing I was competent at, was trying to capture the theme and give the player a branching story a la Age of Decadence. You're also right that everything after Epidaurus was extremely rushed, which occurred for various reasons/excuses.

Items/artifacts sometimes provide boosts in combat. For example, if you leave your tutor Connidas to face the boars alone, you can get his bow which gives you a multi-shot attack. There's also a staff that gives you an acid attack. Beyond that I don't recall any combat benefits. The stats give you slight increases to things like damage, and the party member with the Aulus can buff you. Someone pointed out that the silver was useless, so I released a patch which allows you to bribe the guard at the King's palace. The helmet... I honestly don't recall what you can do with it, I want to say it might give a slight defense buff in combat. The main reason for that questline is to add another character to your party, whose identity would have been very significant in the later stages of the game.

You have also alerted me to another bug/missing content - Sciron telling you to bring some other travellers to him. I'd have to go find the old code, but I know from memory that there was supposed to be a merchant and a slave hanging out near Sciron. The player could then lure them over to Sciron and feed them to the monster turtle. I'm almost certain you can kill the followers of Apollo, but it's through certain event chains; again I'd have to look through the code, which I'll have to do at some point if/when I remake it all.

All in all, I'm happy that almost everyone likes the way it captures the theme and allowed the player to explore different story-paths, because that is largely the reason why I made the game. It can't be denied that I did a very slipshod job of designing and programming the game, and failed to put in the effort needed to polish it. Still, lessons learnt, I know what to work on next time.

If you did get it through Steam, and you have some free time, please consider posting it on the store page. If I hit some magic number of reviews then Steam takes note and provides an average review ranking.

Last edited:

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I added my review on Steam. Hope it helps and good luck with your next game!

DR8B.gif

Moaning_Clock

SmokeSomeFrogs
Developer
but I don't know when I would play it.

Finally, I found the time to play Theseus! Bought it at the Summer Sale for 1.99€

Here are my impressions with major spoilers. Non-spoilery opinion: rough gem.

I got two endings and tried to be a baker. At first, I didn't really like the game. It felt clunky, I didn't get much feedback in regards to the stats, walking felt very slow.
And after I got the first ending, I was somewhat dissatisfied tbh.

CxnwU8P.png

Then I played it again and it was much smoother. I understood the combat better, was a bit of an asshole, skipped stuff that wasn't that interesting for me and enjoyed seeing the other places.
I really liked the weird encounters and deaths, was really fun!

And then I got the second ending and was much more satisfied (got a feel for the game).
NEw8x9i.png

Now let's come to the praise and critiscisms.
I really enjoyed the music but it was really unfortunate that it didn't loop. Sometimes I did a small smoke break or took longer in a place and the silence was odd. That there are almost no sounds - aside from a menu sound - was also weird but it would be a looot of work to change that. Pressing ESC in combat just results in retry or giving up? maybe a go back option would be nice. I would really like to just press ESC to go back from the inventory and press space to press the continue button. And maybe I missed it but an end turn button, that would be fucking awesome!
The combat felt weird at first but after a short while I liked it. It was a bit sad that Theseus without special things had only one option and having two options would have been nice. I just hit the enemy most of the time, did go back, hit him again etc. Too many misses in my opinion prolonged the fights. Poseidon missed aaaalll time. He's a god why does he miss so often? And why does getting Bless from the flute guy help a god?

One small error I found

icV992T.png

Also, parents seemed odd in this sequence but English isn't my first language so parents is also grandfather and mother? I dunno

TxBFd68.png

And three overlaps I found but this might be because of my resolution (2560x1440)

WOR0GzR.png

zIZJqmq.png

eG3Jr9t.png

So, let's list all the stuff that were really strong in my opinion
- Some of the passages were really fun - getting choped down to fit a bed, awesome - I'm not deep into Greek mythology so I can't judge how faithful it is but it felt great
- Lot of options and optional stuff, I think 1-3 more playthroughs were possible
- Music felt great
- Text length was very good. While I needed to look up words, the length of the dialogues and story passages was very nice and only on very few occasions felt too much
- Gated content, replaying the game was interesting
- Beautiful backgrounds (the graphics overall are okay but the backgrounds were very nice in many cases)

I would really like to see in an update to this game!

Small:
- More options (audio on/off only? having an option for 50% would be great for example)
- More keyboard shortcuts
- Reducing overlapping text
- Some text looked low resolution on my 1440p screen
- Sometimes there were doubled spaces in the text but I think this is something that mostly irritates me

Big:
- More combat feedback
- More options in combat even with base equipment
- Stats feedback
- Sounds

I'm really interested in your next new project! Are you working on something?

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer

Finally, I found the time to play Theseus! Bought it at the Summer Sale for 1.99€

I got two endings and tried to be a baker. At first, I didn't really like the game. It felt clunky, I didn't get much feedback in regards to the stats, walking felt very slow.

CxnwU8P.png

Then I played it again and it was much smoother. I understood the combat better, was a bit of an asshole, skipped stuff that wasn't that interesting for me and enjoyed seeing the other places.

And then I got the second ending and was much more satisfied (got a feel for the game).
NEw8x9i.png

I really enjoyed the music but it was really unfortunate that it didn't loop. Sometimes I did a small smoke break or took longer in a place and the silence was odd. That there are almost no sounds - aside from a menu sound - was also weird but it would be a looot of work to change that. Pressing ESC in combat just results in retry or giving up? maybe a go back option would be nice. I would really like to just press ESC to go back from the inventory and press space to press the continue button. And maybe I missed it but an end turn button, that would be fucking awesome!
The combat felt weird at first but after a short while I liked it. It was a bit sad that Theseus without special things had only one option and having two options would have been nice. I just hit the enemy most of the time, did go back, hit him again etc. Too many misses in my opinion prolonged the fights. Poseidon missed aaaalll time. He's a god why does he miss so often? And why does getting Bless from the flute guy help a god?

One small error I found

icV992T.png

Also, parents seemed odd in this sequence but English isn't my first language so parents is also grandfather and mother? I dunno

TxBFd68.png

And three overlaps I found but this might be because of my resolution (2560x1440)

WOR0GzR.png

zIZJqmq.png

eG3Jr9t.png

- Some of the passages were really fun - getting choped down to fit a bed, awesome - I'm not deep into Greek mythology so I can't judge how faithful it is but it felt great
- Lot of options and optional stuff, I think 1-3 more playthroughs were possible
- Music felt great
- Text length was very good. While I needed to look up words, the length of the dialogues and story passages was very nice and only on very few occasions felt too much
- Beautiful backgrounds (the graphics overall are okay but the backgrounds were very nice in many cases)

Small:
- More options (audio on/off only? having an option for 50% would be great for example)
- Sometimes there were doubled spaces in the text but I think this is something that mostly irritates me

Big:
- More combat feedback
- Stats feedback
- Sounds

Yep, this game is definitely rough-cut; thanks for the feedback. You point out a few things that never occurred to me, and I definitely did not test the game at 2560x1440 resolution. I believe the game is pretty faithful to Greek mythology, the only character I can think of that wasn't directly drawn from, or inspired by, the classical source material is the baker in Epidauros. If memory serves, during development Mortmal told me the game sucks and I should give up, so I put him in it.

I started working on another game dev project, Siege of Plataea, but I put it on hold to improve my skills. I am instead remaking one of my favourite 80s games in Unity. I figure once I achieve that, I will be ready to go back and resume work on my real project. I would give you a release date but I would only be lying.

You're right, it's a mistake. If/when I remake make this game in Unity, I will have to correct a bunch of these errors.

Mortmal

Arcane

CxnwU8P.png

NEw8x9i.png

One small error I found

icV992T.png

TxBFd68.png

WOR0GzR.png

zIZJqmq.png

eG3Jr9t.png

- Music felt great

Small:

Big:
- More combat feedback
- Stats feedback
- Sounds

Yep, this game is definitely rough-cut; thanks for the feedback. You point out a few things that never occurred to me, and I definitely did not test the game at 2560x1440 resolution. I believe the game is pretty faithful to Greek mythology, the only character I can think of that wasn't directly drawn from, or inspired by, the classical source material is the baker in Epidauros. If memory serves, during development Mortmal told me the game sucks and I should give up, so I put him in it.

I started working on another game dev project, Siege of Plataea, but I put it on hold to improve my skills. I am instead remaking one of my favourite 80s games in Unity. I figure once I achieve that, I will be ready to go back and resume work on my real project. I would give you a release date but I would only be lying.

You're right, it's a mistake. If/when I remake make this game in Unity, I will have to correct a bunch of these errors.

Well.. if giving you a good kick in the nuts could help , i am glad i did ! Congratulations on your steam launch . Looks better now, i mean graphically , that wasn't too hard however lets be honest. gameplay is probably still horseshit , well no at least horseshit is usefull to grow strawberries..
As for the price tag, its like paying you a beer, so no i am not sure your deserves it , put it on itch.Io with "pay what you want" and i might consider trying :)

Moaning_Clock

SmokeSomeFrogs
Developer
did not test the game at 2560x1440 resolution.

Can't blame you for that, it's not very common. Most people go straight to 4K.

If/when I remake make this game in Unity, I will have to correct a bunch of these errors.

Do you not plan to update it at the moment? Especially the low-hanging fruit like some errors etc.

As for the price tag, its like paying you a beer, so no i am not sure your deserves it

Tbh I think the price I paid was great and even if I had paid more I wouldn't felt betrayed or something.

Tavernking

Don't believe his lies
Developer
I ended up trying it and ultimately didn't like it. Still, I admire your efforts to bring classical antiquity to CRPGs! So for that alone I am excited for Siege of Plataea.

:excellent:

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
If/when I remake make this game in Unity, I will have to correct a bunch of these errors.

Do you not plan to update it at the moment? Especially the low-hanging fruit like some errors etc.

I was meaning to respond to this, sorry it took so long. Life has its way of throwing up distractions; I am in some US state called "nevada" hauling a bunch of stuff and my family to the west coast. You are right that some of this stuff is extremely low hanging fruit, like the typos. The practical reality is that I did a terrible job backing up the source code, I haven't touched GMS 2 since the last patch, and I have a new laptop. So I would need to reinstall GMS2, hopefully find the latest version of the source code (ideally in my cloud drive, but otherwise on an old laptop in a garage several states away). At that point I could easily fix the typos, the graphical errors would take a little longer, and then I would update steam and itch.

I think the effort is not equivalent to the payoff. But maybe when I am sober and sitting comfortably in my new home on the west coast I will feel differently. Who knows. I am the dev. I am a member of the crpg master race. Professionalism is beneath me.

I ended up trying it and ultimately didn't like it. Still, I admire your efforts to bring classical antiquity to CRPGs! So for that alone I am excited for Siege of Plataea.

:excellent:

Thank you, even if you didn't enjoy it. The next game I release will actually be a remake of my favourite crpg from the 80s, I am trying to improve my skills before returning to Siege of Plataea. It will be released for free because I don't own the IP or anything. However, I am thinking of just releasing videos of my remake to troll the fan base of this IP, keeping the real experience to myself so I can go down in crpg history as a complete cunt.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom