Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime Are there any Actually Good D&D books?

hello friend

Arcane
I second the recommendations of The Death Gate Cycle. For what it is, it's better than anything else I've read by those authors and fairly original. I never read the original Dragonlance series, but I did read Dragonlance: Legends (I think that's what it's called), where Raistlin is locked in a struggle with the Queen of Darkness while his body withers away from tuberculosis or something. It's badly written. I might recommend it to a bored teenager, but not really. Still, I enjoyed it at the time I read it.

Everything by Salvatore can be avoided, with the possible exception of the first book of his Underdark trilogy. While it's not great, it's a look at the wacky drow metropolis and their strange ways, and can be fun for that alone. I'd actually recommend it to someone such as yourself who's already looking for this sort of thing. It's cheesy, though.

Also the Cleric Quintet, possibly. I remember it as being entertaining, but I was a kid at the time.

Yeah, Death's Gate Cycle. Try that.

0sacred

poop retainer
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
The Elminster books have their moments. Elminster's a Mary Sue through and through, but it's offset partly by the many inconveniences he falls prey to, courtesy of Mystra.

Right now I'm reading the Icewind Dale trilogy, bummer that Black Isle blatantly copied the first book for Trials of the Luremaster and IWD II. It actually lessened my desire to replay the games again after getting a bit of flavor on that part of the world.

Morblot

Aberrant Member | Star Trek V Apologist
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
The Elminster books have their moments.

The first one is awesome. Not good in the traditional sense of the word, but awesome. The rest are meh, except the fourth one, Elminster in Hell, which is pure fucking torture to read, stay clear.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
How often does he fuck Mystra?

I recently read the "New Fiction" Dark Sun novels recently and found them all decent. Although I suppose it gets a bit too high-powered for Dark Sun in a few places. Stuff like summoning an entire army of undead. I don't recall necromancy being used in Dark Sun at all before that.

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
The Word of Chaos and its first sequels are great and much more fun than TSR's attempts (featuring Skandar Graun, half-orc cleric of Chaos as their anti-hero), but they were written in the Hungarian and never translated.

Enjoyed reading your blog post, it brought back a lot of memories. I quite liked the first Chaos book as a kid, it felt quite "gamey" even back then, but in a very cool way. I really liked those two Wayne Chapman books too back in the day, you gave me the inspiration to re-read them now.

Melan

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! I helped put crap in Monomyth
Often enough. These are all vintage Ed (spoilered for TL;DR):
My concept of Alustriel as de facto ruler of Silverymoon has always been glossed over by TSR (and now WotC) for Code of Ethics/Code of Conduct reasons, because I see her as the Realms equivalent of ‘the Queen of Courtly Love,’ presiding over a Court that amuses itself (along with delighting in wit, new songs, new inventions or clever craftsmanship, and fashions) with dalliances, courtship, and lovemaking. Er, lots of lovemaking. :}

In the same way that real-world kings in some places and times enjoyed droit de signeur [French for: “As the King, I have the right to sleep with anyone” :}], Alustriel takes many lovers for short periods of time, and is one of those rare kind, understanding, warm people who has the knack of staying close, affectionate friends with former lovers, even in the presence of other ex-flames. In fact, it’s quite likely that any meeting of courtiers will contain a majority of folk who have visited the royal bed or baths at one time or another -- and most of them remain fiercely loyal to Alustriel and to her dream of Silverymoon. (In fact, some cynics, such as Torm of the Knights of Myth Drannor, believe she deliberately seduces political foes to transform them into personal friends.) The fact demonstrably remains that to attack Alustriel in Silverymoon will be to evoke immediate defense of her person by dozens of champions who will lay down their lives to protect hers, even knowing she’s the “Anointed of the Goddess” and may not really need their protection.

For obvious moral reasons, published Realmslore glides over all this ‘free love’ stuff (gakk! orgies! Nonononono!) without saying much (though if you read the words of Silverymmon-related Realmslore I’ve written, nothing contradicts it). If you’re portraying Alustriel correctly in play, she loves to laugh (except when to do so would be cruel to others), gives hugs, caresses, and kisses freely, has no personal dignity (nude? Me? Yes, so? Yes, I heard him comment on the shape and taste of my breasts -- that’s why I was thanking him) but a LOT of personal grace and charm, and never forgets details about people (so if meeting a knight she bedded one night eight years ago, she’ll recall the name of his ailing mother and her ailment, the name of his new bride, and any ‘touchy triggers’ any of them might have). Most folk who meet her can’t remain jealous of her or angry at her for long.

The original Mystra seemed to encourage Alustriel to have children (why? Hoho! SO many mysteries, waved before you!), because she conceived every nine months and a day or two, giving Faerun a succession of healthy males in a series of easy births (and being little constricted or uncomfortable while pregnant, because rather than acquiring a ballooning belly, the High Lady always put on weight all over, and retained her poise, balance, and activities). Yes, she’s given birth to females, and no, I’m not going to say ANYTHING more about that for future schemes reasons. :} The new Mystra may have other ideas, because (as far as Elminster knows -- and he doesn’t hesitate to ask her, straight out) Alustriel isn’t pregnant right now, and shows no signs of becoming so.

For details of her current consort, see the quartet of Realmslore columns appearing on the WotC website right now.

“Aerasume” is a surname, and all of the tall, strapping lads who bear it share the same father, who remains Alustriel’s lover on nights when she needs comforting, but these days is often away from Silverymoon on explorative expeditions into the wilderlands. As I said: with very few exceptions, Alustriel remains on good terms with her former lovers, and manages somehow to keep them comfortable with each other (I guess it’s like being members of a club one very much enjoys being part of). So they all get along well together. At long-ago GenCons I often ran Realms play sessions in which PCs were sent with an urgent message to Alustriel [a stranger to them by all but reputation] through a secret portal that admitted them to the Palace but removed all metal -- weapons and, er, BELT BUCKLES -- and all enchanted materials [items and garments vanished, spells operating on the bodies of the PCs just melted away] in doing so. Stumbling over their own falling clothing but under imperative, overriding orders to get to Alustriel right away (and bearing a pass that would let them do so), the racing PCs were directed to a certain chamber, and burst into it to discover that it was taken up by a vast, shallow bath filled with warm rosewater and naked people making love. SOMEwhere in all of that sliding flesh was Alustriel. Their mission: find her.

I loved watching players’ faces, right at that moment.
Bear in mind, however, that many Realms fans delight in pouncing on me for being a dirty-minded “pervert” (most of them, of course, not even understanding the meaning of that word) for merely showing casual nudity, kissing, caresses, and even footrubs in my fiction . . . things many Canadians (and, from my conversations with them, more than a few Americans) who went to summer camp in their teens accepted as normal in such settings. (And being as the Realms is “my” setting, *I* get to define what is ‘normal’ in the Realms; that’s even in the original Realms agreement).
So let me turn this matter back to fellow scribes: how much overt sex would YOU like to read in, say, Ed Greenwood-penned Realms novels? Where’s the “line of comfort” for you?
(I seriously want to read posted opinions here, without offending Alaundo or others by getting too explicit. Anyone who’s attended any of the annual Spin A Yarn seminars at GenCon knows that although my own flirtations encourage Realms fans to delve into matters “blue,” they’re always VERY eager to do so. I encourage the racy stuff, but the audience provides it.)

On to polyamory (committed relationships): quite common in backlands Realms villages, often ‘dressed up’ in annual festival customs (such as Midsummer Night) to make the maximum number of people comfortable with it. In many farming and frontier areas of the Realms, “families” dwelling and working together may consist of several males and several females, not “one-man-one-woman.” Again, don’t expect this to be underscored in print in official products, because it points towards incest and the polygamous controversies current in some American states, and in general upsets some folks who might otherwise happily buy Realms products. Remember the editorial fits I caused just mentioning brothelsXXXX ahem, “festhalls.” My view was that I was just reporting, a la National Geographic: ‘The native women have long, floppy . . .’ and the TSR editors disagreed violently. BTW, the very existence of all those brothels point to the number of men and women in the Realms who want casual sex, or who don’t get what they want at home, or who don’t want to wait until they get home. Sex IS alive and well in the Realms.

Please also always remember that the long-lived members of the Chosen are EXCEPTIONS to the rules: their very longevity and loss of sanity leads them to grasp at affection whenever they can, and to consider themselves so far beyond all notions of prudishness and propriety (they’ve outlived entire kingdoms full of social thou-shalt-nots, and been around long enough to see many priesthoods make major changes in doctrine) that they just don’t care what others may think of them -- unless they need the support and aid of particular “others” at the moment.
So, yes, Alustriel does take pleasure in hosting orgies in which she physically enjoys both males and females, and lots of them enjoy each other, and lah dee dee dah dah. This does not make her a nymphomaniac, an empty-headed lust bunny, or deficient in any way. In fact, she’s achieved more through seduction and founding firm friendships and making others long for another chance to dive into the comfort of one of Alustriel’s large and well-filled baths than many rulers ever manage with dozens of treaties and scores of wars, skirmishes, and threats.
If you need validation, yes, Alustriel and Zelauma make love. Storm makes love with both guys and gals (the Harpers don’t regard her as a ‘den mother’ for nothing :} ). Think of her as the comforting arms they run to, for advice and soothing companionship and understanding. However, she does as much listening and dispensing warm soup as she does riding and being ridden.

I hesitate to wander around identifying major NPCs as gay males or females, because someone else reading this may be far more comfortable in their use of the Realms if I never put such notions into their heads regarding particular characters.
So let me say just this much: most males in the Realms weep, hug, and even caress and kiss as much as real-world modern females do. How comfortable a given character is with doing such things with others of the same gender (or, for that matter, with persons of different races) varies widely -- but it’s safe to say that given the opportunity, most characters have “tried everything” at least once, and between travelers outside their own communities (where such acts might well upset family members, especially if loss of virginity is involved), there’s little or no stigma in such experimentation.
Please note the full implications of this: if your character in the Realms is part of an adventuring “party” and female or male characters in that party hop from bedroll to bedroll as nights on the trail pass, those bed-hoppers WILL NOT be generally viewed as “loose” or “perverted.” Note that I said “generally.” Couples in committed relationships whose partner goes off jumping the bones of others without prearrangement are going to feel just as hurt and betrayed as you might expect. Moreover, some characters will be uncomfortable with such behaviour, sometimes for religious reasons. Myself, I see this as best left to the roleplaying chemistry of individual gaming groups rather than shoved down anyone’s throat by my or anyone else’s Realms writings.
However, Zandilar, just between you and me (and of course everyone across the world with Net access who reads this :} ): I personally happen to be a guy who likes gals, but I’m quite comfortable kissing, hugging, and even caressing or comforting guys. Such activities don’t happen to turn me on sexually. I’m a “toucher,” and always have been: I hug and kiss a lot, perhaps more naturally than I shake hands (when greeting females formally, I was taught to kneel and kiss their hands). However, I know that such close contact gives a lot of people the creeps, and I have utterly no interest in upsetting people outside of a roleplaying session in which we’re both acting: if someone goes red or jerks away from me, oops: MY bad. That’s why I don’t want to write too forcefully about such things.
But I hint like crazy. Steven not only expressed Khelben and Laeral’s relationship perfectly, he directed you to some of his character writeups for a look-see, and I’ll do the same: look back over my Realms writings (such as the NPC sections of the Volo’s Guides) and the hints are there. Bushels of them, in fact. :}
Although overly aggressive butch lesbian behaviour and over-the-top prancing ‘mincing’ gay male behaviour both strike me as ridiculous, the relationships underlying them (including the physical sides of such relationships) do not. When the lesbians who happen to own the cottage four down from mine go out on their dock at dusk to make love, I don’t yell angrily at them, ridicule them, or rudely watch them, but if I happen to be out on my point (which is high enough to overlook their dock), I’ll smile and wave at first sight and then carry on as if they’re not doing anything. This has led to them in turn casually accepting my distant presence: they usually make love, then plunge in for a dip that includes lots of splashing and laughter, and then they climb back out on the dock to dry off (if the night’s too cold or mosquito-ridden for that, it’s on with the towels and back inside). Either way, they usually wave and call “good night” as they go.
That’s the same style and balance I’d like to strike in my Realms writings: casual acceptance of such matters for those interested in them, and a tacit agreement to overlook them for those who aren’t.

With the ground prepared, so to speak, I can now tackle your query about strong female characters choosing older, fatter, hairier males. (And for readers waiting to denounce this as my personal sexual wish-fulfillment, I proffer three words: oh, grow up. I did, after all, establish these characters and relationships when I was a skinny, young, bespectacled nerd of a youngster who never thought he’d ever either get fat or grow a beard. Old, yes, I knew that would happen if I didn’t get myself killed. But I digress. :} )
My point in depicting several “gals like old fat hairy males” relationships was deliberately to point out that these particular females chose what they wanted, and it wasn’t “brainless handsome hunks” but rather men with wits and characters they could respect.
For example, in the case of Mirt and Asper, I wanted to show a Realms instance of something that happened many times in real-world past history: a young ward growing up to genuinely love her much older guardian (yes, I’m well aware that there were even more real-world instances of guardians forcing themselves on their wards, or marrying them over their objections). I’ve written a story that you’ll probably never see (because it does include several explicit love scenes) wherein Mirt uncomfortably rebuffs his increasingly amorous ‘little girl,’ and succeeds only in driving the past-puberty-and-in-the-thrall-of-raging-hormones Asper to seduce him: she’s taken her measure of a lot of men in Waterdeep, and decided the man who raised her is the best, and she’ll have HIM, thank-you-very-much.
I, too, don’t like gals to collapse into mush whenever Macho Hero Number 36 strides manfully onto the scene. However, I have written several scenes in which women who know quite well that their physical strength and personal social standing can’t win them a clear victory over Mister Macho, and who have enough personal self-confidence not to have to be seen to “win” every moment, do the collapse act to manipulate Macho into doing what they wanted, WITHOUT a large and damaging conflict. MY pet-hate, never-want-to-write characters are STUPID females (except as passing villains who get what they deserve).

What sort of things would you like to know about Caladnei of Cormyr? I didn’t create her, but have used her in my Realms of Shadow story and in Elminster’s Daughter (the mind-meld sequences therein shared important highlights of her personal ‘back story’ with readers), and plan to reveal more of her in tales to come. To some extent, the Royal Magician of Cormyr must have some ‘air of mystery’ to be effective, and Caladnei is very much ‘learning on the job’ and growing and changing in doing so. (And if it’s hints of lesbianism you’re looking for, take a good look at Caladnei and Alusair in that Realms of Shadow story.)

I’m not sure how soon Laeral of Loudwater will reappear in print. It depends on a lot of not-yet-settled projects, but is unlikely to be less than three years or so. You may in a year or so see a rather powerful story concerning Alusair and her sexuality. Or may not; again, we’ll have to see.

Regarding slash: although I’m well aware that in this age of instant Net publishing examples of slash writing can be distressing to some authors, I personally have no trouble with it, so long as it’s always made clear it’s not the work of the original author. Satire defenses aside, I also fully understand when someone is upset by a depiction of his or her character and tries to vigorously defend the original by legally punishing the writer of the slash, or getting the slash removed from circulation, and so on.
However, I regard all fannish writing as something humans DO. Have always done. In the same way that children play with dolls, readers play with characters they develop an affection (or love-hate) for. I have read some wonderfully affectionate fan writings about the Realms, and some vicious and hilarious slash about Realms characters. (The one in which Elminster was magically cursed to continuously grow breasts and vaginas that roamed around the surface of his body, whilst he exuded an aroma that made all humans and elves [especially drow, OF COURSE] around him mad with lust for him, had me rolling on the floor whooping with laughter. I just wish the writer had been competent enough to go on to tell a good story after the few vivid scenes of debauchery. But I digress again. :} )

I hope I’ve answered your questions without overly offending anyone, Zandilar and other scribes. As you can probably tell, I’m not shy about discussing such topics, and I’m sure Alaundo and Tethtoril will step in if they think matters are getting (ahem) out of hand, so if you’ve follow-up questions, feel free. However, folks, please let’s NOT get into an endless round of “So is Manshoon gay? Is Fzoul? Okay, how about Larloch?”
I would hope there are more things to talk about in the Realms than that.
I am not even going to quote his lengthy and jovial justifications for fantasy incest.

ed-greenwood.jpg

Ed Greenwood: the Original Coomer.

Cael

Arcane
Douglas Niles - Maztica trilogy, Moonshae Trilogy, Druidhome trilogy.

laclongquan

Arcane
As I said: with very few exceptions, Alustriel remains on good terms with her former lovers, and manages somehow to keep them comfortable with each other (I guess it’s like being members of a club one very much enjoys being part of). So they all get along well together..

I dont mind about these personal behaviour of a goddess, I dont. But if she doesnt use mind magic to accomplish that I would stay nofap for a month.

That kind of behaviours in men who share a female is a bit of an anomaly.

Ysaye

Arbiter

I recently read the "New Fiction" Dark Sun novels recently and found them all decent. Although I suppose it gets a bit too high-powered for Dark Sun in a few places. Stuff like summoning an entire army of undead. I don't recall necromancy being used in Dark Sun at all before that.

Like the staff of the magi ie; 1d6 + 2 per book.

mondblut

Arcane
As I said: with very few exceptions, Alustriel remains on good terms with her former lovers, and manages somehow to keep them comfortable with each other (I guess it’s like being members of a club one very much enjoys being part of). So they all get along well together..

I dont mind about these personal behaviour of a goddess, I dont. But if she doesnt use mind magic to accomplish that I would stay nofap for a month.

That kind of behaviours in men who share a female is a bit of an anomaly.

Bro, do you even brothel?

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
The entire Prism Pentad is on YT by the way. Say what you will about the story, the audiobook is rather well done. The guy reading has a good range of distinctive voices for the characters.

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Based on the recommendations in this thread, I started reading Azure Bonds and I'm liking it a lot so far. Because of the slightly negative feedback from some, I was expecting a flowery pseudo-literary writing style that plagues many lesser authors (think of the shit writing in many RPGs that just never wants to end), so I was positively surprised at the very functional and straightforward prose. That's the type of writing I prefer, where the style is "invisible" and the story and the ideas carry the book forward.

There's also some mild humour, but not the beat-you-on-the-head-with-it variety; it's more subtle and implied that's similar to the style of Philip K. Dick.

All in all, great recommendation :salute: If the quality stays like this throughout the book I'm inclined to read the whole Finder's Stone trilogy.

Cael

Arcane
Based on the recommendations in this thread, I started reading Azure Bonds and I'm liking it a lot so far. Because of the slightly negative feedback from some, I was expecting a flowery pseudo-literary writing style that plagues many lesser authors (think of the shit writing in many RPGs that just never wants to end), so I was positively surprised at the very functional and straightforward prose. That's the type of writing I prefer, where the style is "invisible" and the story and the ideas carry the book forward.

There's also some mild humour, but not the beat-you-on-the-head-with-it variety; it's more subtle and implied that's similar to the style of Philip K. Dick.

All in all, great recommendation :salute: If the quality stays like this throughout the book I'm inclined to read the whole Finder's Stone trilogy.
You'll love the second one. Darned good humour there. The third one also has it moments, but it has a more serious tone.

Erebus

Arcane
Back in the 90s, the French publisher in charge of translating D&D novels made a complete mess of it, not because it couldn't afford to hire competent translators, but simply because it was cheaper and simpler not to give a fuck. In some cases, the French translation would end up being 30% shorter than the original book. In "Dragons of a Summer Flame", I remember that an entire chapter vanished, and that the death scene of one of the two main characters was purely and simply omitted. Needless to say, that turned average books into mediocre ones, and mediocre ones into godawful pieces of shit.

The "Pool of Radiance" and "Pool of Darkness" novels were pretty bad, and I strongly suspect it wasn't just because of the translation. "Curse of the Azure Bonds" and its first sequel are reasonably entertaining, but I don't remember the second sequel being very good (of course, it's been quite a few years since I last read them).

Erebus

Arcane
This thread made me wonder if I was still genuinely capable of finding a D&D novel entertaining. So I just read the first two books of "War of the Spider Queen".

My expectations were of course set very low... and rightfully so : at best, the books could be called mediocre.

The plot is okayish in the first book (by the standards of D&D fiction) and kind of weak in the second one. The Underdark is of course a cool setting, though it's a pity that we don't see much of it outside of drow cities. The main characters tend to be pretty bland ; so far, the wizard Pharaun is the only one who has something resembling a vaguely developed personality.

A common problem in D&D novels is a tendency to make the story stick too close and too obviously to the rules of the RPG. It's strongly the case in these two books : you can almost hear the dice rolling in the background whenever one of the main characters makes a saving throw or a magic resistance check. That makes the action scenes rather boring (they also tend to be way too long).

As a sidenote, it seems that the authors (each of the six books was written by a different author) didn't really understand the fetishistic aspects of drow culture : in a story that mostly involves drow and happens almost entirely in drow cities, the characters who end up naked and tied up in torture chambers shouldn't be female 90% of the time.

Last edited:

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
Erebus, I Know there's no accounting to tastes, but I think saying Pools series are pretty bad is like saying tea is a useless beverage because one can has Pepsi. Like rly... what do you even find good?

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
I generally liked The War of the Spider Queen,it was a bit uneven since every book had a different writer but it was a nice view on the Underdark and one of the few cases where you had genuinely evil characters as protagonists.Pharaun was the best character but Nimor,Quenthel,Aliiza and Gromph were also interesting

Last edited:

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Erebus, I Know there's no accounting to tastes, but I think saying Pools series are pretty bad is like saying tea is a useless beverage because one can has Pepsi. Like rly... what do you even find good?

It's a matter of taste I guess, as you said. When I first learned that certain "literary folks" think that most sci-fi is garbage and, for example, find Philip K. Dick's or Asimov's prose is so badly written that they can barely read it, I was genuinely surprised. I saw nothing wrong with the style of these authors (or of most sci-fi writers, as a matter of fact). But when I read their reasoning, it started to make some sense. In "traditional literature" generally there's a lot of characterisation and exposition going on, and this is simply missing from most sci-fi, largely because the ideas behind the stories are the stars of the show, rarely the characters themselves. It's almost a matter of where you put your main focus -- on the story/ideas, or on the characters themselves.

So, if you're used to traditional literature, you might find sci-fi/fantasy "badly written". But conversely, someone like me who grew up on sci-fi, might just find most traditional prose boring and overly verbose. I personally find flowery prose very tiring to read, it's just no fun for me at all. I like authors who are economic with words and to the point (Alfred Bester and William Gibson are prime examples, or even Vault Dweller in Age of Decadence, his style is just ace!). To be completely honest, in general I have more appreciation for pulp authors (e.g. Philip K. Dick and Robert E. Howard) than for writers of "real literature". You see, pulp authors had to make their stories really interesting otherwise they simply didn't get paid, while "real writers" had the luxury of writing boring books that no one really wanted to read, except the cork-sniffer literary elitists... ;)

Then there are a few sci-fi/fantasy authors who get the approval from the literary folks too, like Ursula K. Le Guin. I like her books a lot, but probably that's the most "literary" style that I still enjoy reading.

I strongly think that the "gamey" aspect of D&D books is a feature, not a bug. I just love the fact that the Azure Bonds book reminds me of a good RPG campaign, and that there's lots of references of D&D mechanics.

The situation is similar with music too. Some people apparently enjoy jazz or prog rock/metal with all sorts of complex chord changes and whatnot, but to me it's all just wankery. It's almost as if the musicians were on an epic quest hellbent on "proving" themselves to the listener 100% of the time. I much prefer musicians with basic or even questionable technique who simply write good songs that evoke some feeling or atmosphere, however simple their music might be. But then, I grew up on a steady diet of 80s metal and chiptunes, so what do I know... :cool:

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron

It's a matter of taste I guess, as you said. When I first learned that certain "literary folks" think that most sci-fi is garbage and, for example, find Philip K. Dick's or Asimov's prose is so badly written that they can barely read it, I was genuinely surprised. I saw nothing wrong with the style of these authors (or of most sci-fi writers, as a matter of fact). But when I read their reasoning, it started to make some sense. In "traditional literature" generally there's a lot of characterisation and exposition going on, and this is simply missing from most sci-fi, largely because the ideas behind the stories are the stars of the show, rarely the characters themselves. It's almost a matter of where you put your main focus -- on the story/ideas, or on the characters themselves.

So, if you're used to traditional literature, you might find sci-fi/fantasy "badly written". But conversely, someone like me who grew up on sci-fi, might just find most traditional prose boring and overly verbose. I personally find flowery prose very tiring to read, it's just no fun for me at all. I like authors who are economic with words and to the point (Alfred Bester and William Gibson are prime examples, or even Vault Dweller in Age of Decadence, his style is just ace!). To be completely honest, in general I have more appreciation for pulp authors (e.g. Philip K. Dick and Robert E. Howard) than for writers of "real literature". You see, pulp authors had to make their stories really interesting otherwise they simply didn't get paid, while "real writers" had the luxury of writing boring books that no one really wanted to read, except the cork-sniffer literary elitists... ;)

Then there are a few sci-fi/fantasy authors who get the approval from the literary folks too, like Ursula K. Le Guin. I like her books a lot, but probably that's the most "literary" style that I still enjoy reading.

I strongly think that the "gamey" aspect of D&D books is a feature, not a bug. I just love the fact that the Azure Bonds book reminds me of a good RPG campaign, and that there's lots of references of D&D mechanics.

The situation is similar with music too. Some people apparently enjoy jazz or prog rock/metal with all sorts of complex chord changes and whatnot, but to me it's all just wankery. It's almost as if the musicians were on an epic quest hellbent on "proving" themselves to the listener 100% of the time. I much prefer musicians with basic or even questionable technique who simply write good songs that evoke some feeling or atmosphere, however simple their music might be. But then, I grew up on a steady diet of 80s metal and chiptunes, so what do I know... :cool:
I applaud to your detachment (is that the term?). Though people criticising really should be able of separating two things. "I don't like it" and "it's good / bad in its genre". For example. I never liked Asimov, and I find Nadation unbearable reading for me eventhough I am sci-fi, fantasy addict. BUT I know very well it's only me, because the books are a marvell in its (sub)genre as stated by many before. I'd never dare to shame it.

For the same reason I cannot agree with Erebus talking about Pools. The idea itself, the brooding narrative, the party thing and not perfect, but pretty ok writing... how can he say such a thing is beyond me.

Btw I know this all is just talk upon internets I don't aim to win anything life-worthy, but we are here to talk :3 So I said mine.

Erebus

Arcane
I Know there's no accounting to tastes, but I think saying Pools series are pretty bad is like saying tea is a useless beverage because one can has Pepsi. Like rly... what do you even find good?

I'm not sure I understand the analogy. If you mean to say that the "Pool of Radiance" novel and its two sequels are like tea, then I have to wonder what you would compare to Pepsi.

As I mentioned, the French translation is terrible and, though I haven't read the novels in english, I'm sure that they were better than what I got to read. But the translation didn't change the stories themselves, and I found them to be rather weak.

I mainly enjoy sci-fi and fantasy when it's creative and original, but once in a while, I can appreciate mindless entertainment (kind of a misnomer, as it suggests that being entertaining requires little thought, which is not at all the case). I don't expect groundbreaking originality from D&D novels, obviously, but they still need decent characters, an interesting setting, entertaining action scenes, good pacing, etc.

I generally liked The War of the Spider Queen,it was a bit uneven since every book had a different writer but it was a nice view on the Underdark and one of the few cases where you had genuinely evil characters as protagonists.Pharaun was the best character but Nimor,Quenthel,Aliiza and Gromph were also interesting

I've started reading the third book and, so far, its writer seems more competent than the previous two. The characters are more interesting and the action scenes are better.

The fact that the main characters (and in fact pretty much all the characters) are evil is fairly original. The way it's handled is sometimes rather unsubtle : at several points, the characters remind themselves or others that they don't feel things like compassion because they're drow and thus evil. But we do see them behave selfishly, coldly, treacherously or even cruelly, and that's good.

Last edited:

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
I Know there's no accounting to tastes, but I think saying Pools series are pretty bad is like saying tea is a useless beverage because one can has Pepsi. Like rly... what do you even find good?

I'm not sure I understand the analogy. If you mean to say that the "Pool of Radiance" novel and its two sequels are like tea, then I have to wonder what you would compare to Pepsi.

As I mentioned, the French translation is terrible and, though I haven't read the novels in english, I'm sure that they were better than what I got to read. But the translation didn't change the stories themselves, and I found them to be rather weak.

I mainly enjoy sci-fi and fantasy when it's creative and original, but once in a while, I can appreciate mindless entertainment (kind of a misnomer, as it suggests that being entertaining requires little thought, which is not at all the case). I don't expect groundbreaking originality from D&D novels, obviously, but they still need decent characters, an interesting setting, entertaining action scenes, good pacing, etc.

I've started reading the third book and, so far, its writer seems more competent than the previous two. The characters are more interesting and the action scenes are better.

The fact that the main characters (and in fact pretty much all the characters) are evil is fairly original. The way it's handled is sometimes rather unsubtle : at several points, the characters remind themselves or others that they don't feel things like compassion because they're drow and thus evil. But we do see them behave selfishly, coldly, treacherously or even cruelly, and that's good.
There you have it. You are as (not)guilty as the rest of us. "Mindless" can mean good fun. Tarantino powaaaah :3 Peace, Erebus.

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
The fact that the main characters (and in fact pretty much all the characters) are evil is fairly original.

Good to know, that makes me quite interested in this series. By the way, If I were you, I'd gave the originals a go instead of the translations.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom