Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

curds

Magister
I'm just going by the howlongtobeat metrics, which rest between roughly 60-100 hours. Even that is too long for me, let alone 170 hours.

Granted, I do have a short-ish attention span, but I think 40-50 hours is plenty of length for an RPG. Any longer, and my mind begins to wander towards something else to play.

I prefer the idea of a "wide" game rather than a long one, where a single playthrough might not be a 60+ hour epic, but there's enough alternate paths, different playstyles or optional content to keep you coming back. Like Arcanum or Deus Ex for example.

downwardspiral

Learned
Being playing colosseum road to freedom.
I am not as grindy I used to be.
The combat is very satisfying and bloody.
The war reenactment show is a neat idea.
Overrall i miss the day Japanese used to release those weird 3D games.

JDR13

Arcane
I'm just going by the howlongtobeat metrics, which rest between roughly 60-100 hours. Even that is too long for me, let alone 170 hours.

Granted, I do have a short-ish attention span, but I think 40-50 hours is plenty of length for an RPG. Any longer, and my mind begins to wander towards something else to play.

I prefer the idea of a "wide" game rather than a long one, where a single playthrough might not be a 60+ hour epic, but there's enough alternate paths, different playstyles or optional content to keep you coming back. Like Arcanum or Deus Ex for example.

For me, it depends on the game, but I think a lot of RPGs in recent years have been bloated with too much filler. Every developer wants to be able to claim their game has 100+ hours of content. Unfortunately, I tend to be a completionist unless the game is so bad I have to quit.

Funny that you mention Arcanum because that's another one I spent a gazillion hours on. Great game though.

He's talking nonsense, the game isn't even half as long as 170 hours.

Hey dipshit, I didn't say the game was 170 hours long, I said I'm at 170 hours. Would you like a screenshot? Like I said, I reload a lot to try different things. I also tend to leave games running sometimes while I eat, etc.

flyingjohn

Arcane
Deus ex,finished my 12th play through of the game with the cannon Helios ending on hard diffculty
Save count:
1000+

There are two types of games.
A challenging game where the difficulty and resource management creates engaging game play.And a game where the amount of choices and their interaction creates engaging gameplay.
Deus ex is the champion of the second one.

Pros:

-Game play systems interaction.
Most elements interact with each other to create "emergent" game play that Spector talked about.
Locked door?
Pick it,blow it up,alert the guards to open it,hack a computer to open it,use lam wall tricks to bypass it,etc...
There are so many interactions which are just fun.And this is just the doors.When you factor in turrets,npc,enemy types,level design,the sky is the limit.
It is a beautiful toybox.
Did you know what you can use the gep gun as a take down tool if you throw it at enemies?

-Skill system
Deus ex skill system seems basic.4 levels and the are all passives.Until you dig deeper.
Have a sniper?Well master rifles enables you to one shot cameras and turrets.
The passives work together to give you even more options.
Also probably the best balance in terms of skill points you get in a fps/rpg. It feels just right in giving you a small amount to max out while keeping the rest for you to experiment with.
Also bonus points for not giving exp for killing enemies,but for exploration and completing goals.

-Early level design
The pre Honk Kong levels are quite different from their late counterparts.
The early levels are a great blend of hub and side areas for you to explore.There is a certain verticality to them that coupled with augs opens up more gameplay options.
They never feel like a theme park or human revolution's vent connection to everything.They also look and feel much more grounded and that gives them a certain charm.
Personally my favorite location is hell's kitchen because of the rooftops.

-Aug system
The augs are your primary toys to play with.
The brilliant thing is that they activated and not passives.This gives a additional resource management angle which is great.And it kind makes your character feel like a machine.
Also each body slot has a specif amount of slots so you have to choose which augs you want.Limitation breeds creativity.
They are also all extensions of gameplay systems and some can be used in multiple ways.

Jumping/resistance/strength are tied to exploration.
But they also allow you to run around enemies before they can shoot you while shooting them and the resistance can be used to lower damage dealt by some enemies.
And strength can be used for stealth purposes.

The aug system creates its owns separate toybox to play with beside the levels.Also bous points for the ability to create a drone out of thin air,even though it is not the best aug choice.

-Writing
While the general theme is interesting the npc writing is actually the meat.
From the conversation with Morpheus to specific npc chatter(paris father talking shit about his fascist son) to just general philosophies behind the game writing.
Hell the writing is so strong that you can apply almost all what npc's say to this exact year and be shocked how much of that is actually possible/true.
Your first interaction with a enemy npc is literally talking about corporation taxation and the destruction of self employment.
People who dismiss this game writing as conspiracy theory bullshit are fools.

Cons:
-Balance
There is no way around this. Deus ex vanilla is fundamentally broken in balance.
From weapon,skills and augs everything has a optimal choice.
Not gonna list all of them but regeneration and the sniper break a lot of this game.
The only positive about this is because of the game's difficulty this really doesn't matter much.

-Difficulty
Whatever difficulty there was goes way around 1/3 of the game.
The ai being completely useless,overabundance of resources and alack of enemy difficulty increase make for a easy game regardless of difficulties.
The ai get's a special mention.It is just not functioning and its constant running to activate alarms/runaway gives you a easy way to create deathtraps.
The difficulty also only effects damage.

-Late game level design.
I am not angry that some levels were scrapped.The moon and the crazy civil war scenario probably couldn't be made.I am angry that instead of them we got a lot labs and small compounds instead.
The hub elements are mostly gone or insignificant.Side areas finally use non blowable doors but their design is just too much recycling.
Also,the vent systems are now like hr with mostly connection to most stuff.
The verticality is also extremely limited or nonexistent.
The levels aren't bad themselves. They are much more complicated and better balanced.It is just that they loose a big chunk of what the early levels actually good to me.
Did the stupid Honk Kong m12 base really needed to happen?Did Honk Kong really need so much useless water?
The naval base was just boring.Both in design and game play.The ship was the only decent element of it.
Paris was a big missed opportunity to return to the old design.
The entire labs/airbase shenanigans were samey in design.
Area 51 was decent ,but the final section kinda felt too small for a final confrontation.

-Swimming
Swimming gets its own section because it is not useless but disappointing.
Imagine another way through levels where you had to juggle your air and look for hidden shit underwater.
Well,that didn't happen.
Levels are not made whatsoever for swimming.All they give is a small shortcut that wasn't worth it and sometimes leads you into a worse situation.The chateau one for example.
And regeneration makes it even more not worth it.Should have been scrapped.

All in all i enjoyed the game a lot even on a 12th play through.
I personally believe that a a difficult balanced Deus ex would not be the same product and what we got was more then worth it.
If you wanna play difficult balanced deus ex,play gmdx.
If you wanna play a good deus ex mod,play revision.
:cool:

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Star Wars: Dark Forces

Playing it with my kid after watching Noah Gervais's latest video. It's promising two missions in. I was always discouraged by mazes, but the map and varied terrain make it more than tolerable so far. Controls are weird, I'm mostly using the mouse because turning speed with arrow keys is too slow.

Apparently, Lucas commented on the game being very violent. I can see why. It's weird killing so many enemies by yourself, without any special powers, with so little effort.

DDZ

Red blood, white skin, blue collar
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I bought Yakuza: Like a Dragon and will waste time on that.

I enjoyed some Yakuza games throughout my life, but never completed a single one, closest I came was 0 on the PS4.

Maybe I will finish this one, probably not.

Nah

Novice
I've logged 130 hours in Nioh 2, on NG++ now.

It's funny that I put off playing dark souls for so long because of the supposed "difficulty" and now I'm playing this shit. So satisfying when you get a good build together and master a few weapons and skills. Diablo style loot can be overwhelming but it's fairly easy to junk the junk and save the good stuff.

S tier setting and character creator too.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
Just finished Yakuza 6. First game in the series I played was Yakuza 5 which took me most of a year to get through. Then I went back and played Kiwami 1 and 2.

Overall I liked 6 as an end to Kiryu's story. Better pacing than those prior games and a more even difficulty--easier than Kiwami 1, harder than 2. I liked that they got rid of the ability to equip weapons, using random items opportunistically seems more appropriate for a brawling game. I barely ever used weapons in prior games anyway. I also liked no need to bother with training or colleseum fights, and I could just unlock Tiger Drop from basic leveling. Less bullshit and filler, relatively speaking (it is still a Yakuza game.)

The street warfare mini game was better here than Kiwami 2 but still effortless and tedious. The baseball game was cute just because come on, it's Kiryu on a baseball team. But I never got the hang of the batting minigame. It was much easier in 5 with Shinada. He was actually my favorite character in 5, since Kiryu barely gets any screentime in that game and is mostly setup, I liked Shinada's more self-contained plot. I kept expecting him to show up and play on Kiryu's team here but no, he seems to have vanished out of existence. Oh well.

I also liked Kiryu's new Karaoke song and his sidequest of 'just hanging out in bars.' Oh Yakuza.

The ending was a bit of a whiff.

I never believed for a second he was dead but going off on his own and vanishing seemed needlessly melodramatic. Kiryu's done that before and failed, why would this be any different? I don't see why they couldn't just have him shave his head and grow a beard and go back to the orphanage. His friends show up and he says "Kiryu Kazama? I heard he's dead," and they smile and walk away knowing he's happy. Some authors just can't let their characters have a nice ending.

Still a good time, maybe I'll look at Yakuza 0 one of these days. Like a Dragon is on my radar but not now.

Ghulgothas

Arcane
The current malaise surrounding STALKER 2 has inspired me to finally get up and play the original trilogy of games for the first time, starting with Shadow of Chernobyl. I'm running a minimalist mod suite of ZRP, OWR, Shaders MAX and the Photorealistic Zone for my virginal stalker experience.

It's good, just walked out of Lab X-18. It's strangely compelling to experience the nucleus of a concept after experiencing all it's derivatives. As someone who'd beaten every single Metro game before touching Stalker I mean.

Gregz

Arcane
Master of Magic mod called Caster of Magic.

https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/best-mom-mod-caster-of-magic.107006/

It's brilliant.

iu

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I think I'm just gonna drop Rayman 3. This game is simply not fun. It's not even a platformer anymore, more like a generic console action adventure romp, and there are dozens of better ones out there. Quite frankly it's just boring as hell.

flyingjohn

Arcane
Completed deus ex invisible war on hard.Went with the jc ending.
Words of wisdom from the main creator:
"Just because a guy is good at deep throat doesn't make him gay!"

There are two types of bad games.
A bad game that is broken and funny and a bad game that just sucks or is completely unremarkable.
Deus ex invisible war is the champion of the second one.

Pros:
-Lighting and rag doll system
The lighting system is quite nice and a visible visual upgrade from the original.Sources of light are dynamic now which is best seen when you play with lamps and fire.
Rag doll psychics are overrated but still good.Throwing bodies around never gets old.Especially dumpster dumping bodies.

-Unique weapons
There are unique variations of weapons that have good stats and are actually somewhat harder to find.

Cons:
-Graphics.
The graphics look miles better but they feel atrocious.
Characters have dead eye stares and have no personality or uniqueness to the their models.It is a xbox version of uncanny valley.
Almost all locations look identical.Generic lab and generic hub are the primary levels.
The original was visually outdated but had somewhat of a style.Sunglasses and a trench coat are better then nothing.

-Audio
Boring as fuck.
Voice acting is the most boring reading the lines you can imagine.No emotions exists whatsoever in their voices.
The music is also terrible.
The original was a interesting techno combo arrangement compared to this generic techno club shit.
It only gets better at the end when the music actually tries to fit the level but even then it becomes generic spooky music.

-Weapon feel
Nonexistent. Everything feels like a nerf gun.Both for the shooting and the enemy reaction.
Only scoped sniper somewhat feel like you are trying to shoot a weapon.

-Weapons
Minus the unique ones,everything else is just kind a there.
Ballistic weapons are boring as fuck minus the sniper which is broken.
Special weapons aren't that special minus the rail gun which is only useful with wall hacks and against bots.
Grenades are decent but there is no substitute for lam.Spider bombs are cute though.

-Universal ammo
Dumb concept,dumb execution.
Thanks to this you will always use your favorite gun mostly.No real way to tell ammo consumption because it is a bar for some reason.
Also no alternative ammo types like the original.

-Weapon modding
You only get two weapon mods per weapon now.
Which means you only have room for a very small amount of specialization.You either go full stealth or full destruction.I miss pumping mods into my stealth pistol.
Also weapon mods that increase damage are a bad idea.

-Inventory
Dogshit.You get a limited amount of slots and most things don't stack so you have a rocket launcher taking the same amount as candy.
It is also cumbersome to navigate and there is a annoying bug where some lock picks don't stack and require a separate slot.
Food also completely breaks it because you can stack it above 10.

-Augs
There are only 5 slots now for augs and only 3 levels of upgrade.You get to choose from 3 options in 5 areas now.
The aug system is complete broken balance and pacing wise.You can unlock 4/5 augs from the tutorial.
Then the game just keeps giving you black market augs and then game just keeps giving you normal augs. You will be maxed out not even at halfway point of the game.
And if you want to switch a aug then you have to loose all those levels you invested for a previous aug.
Aug choice is also stupid.
Do you want human cloak or hacking?(there is no other way to engage in computer except this aug)
Do you want a emp drone that ca be used for everything or wall hacks/regeneration?(regeneration is useless because of food and wall hacks are not needed)
Harvey tried to balance skills/augs and fucked up colossally.

-Harry potter multitool
Instead of lock-picking and multi tools you get a harry potter wand that open everything and there is plenty of wands to open everything.

-No skills
Stupid and only barely implemented into the aug system with augs such as hacking.

-Balancing
Worse then deus ex.You have too much of everything by the half point of the game.

-Level design
The true disaster of this game.
Everything is a small room that you can immediately find the optimal solution.
You enter a room,you see electricity blocking your path.You can try using a multi tool or stacking boxes to go over it.
Or you could just go around it and deactivate it.
That is the level design of this game.

When you take deus ex levels and shrink them you end up with multiple solutions right next to each other. Exploration is also completely irrelevant because of a lack of skills and overabundance of resources.
What is insane is that the ps2 port of deus ex did levels better with less powerful hardware.
All in all, a terrible dues ex game and a terrible game overall.It is a fps rpg where the fps part sucks and the rpg elements are nonexistent.
e2cd06c02bb420839e64156bb9c46a02.jpg

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I've just finished Van Helsing 3. It's better than 2, but not fundamentally different. Even if there's still some of the "weird science" this time around (which I'm not a big fan of), the focus is more on supernaturals enemies, which is a plus in my book. The levels reflects this: there's much less time spent in the city or in labs, but more in outside levels. It's also shorter. This time I used the mechanic class, which was mostly summoning robots and turrets to do all the work, though if they all get wrecked, I was usually toasted

Now playing Mini Ninjas, because I wanted a mostly brain-dead game and I got one. Very easy, but it's nice enough.

Last edited:

curds

Magister
Started playing Dragon's Dogma, which so far seems to be the apex of its genre, the open-world third-person action RPG.

Only thing that's annoying me so far is that there's too much combat. I can't go 10 foot without running into 20 goblins.

Everything else is great. The combat mechanics are fun, character system is simple but satisfying, even the pack-rat item-hoarding is done well. Great game so far.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Playing two RTS games, Majesty 2 and Spellforce 1, two very odd RTS games, both with the idea of integrating RPG elements on the RTS genre and as anyone can expect, they are shallow as RTS games and equally shallow in being RPGs. However, those hybrid games shine not exactly on how good each of its parts is but how good the whole end being and it is here where both games end being very odd games. I've being playing both for hours and enjoying myself so in a sense they are good games, right? Yes but I cant deny that their design flaws kept them from being games that I would consider classics or games that I would recommend to anyone that enjoy RTS or RPGs.
Majesty 2 and Spellforce 1:
Majesty 2 is a strange game, you dont control your units directly, you only control them through indirect means, you set flags with rewards and they go after those seeking reward but you cant control your units, only influence them, this was done to give the player the sensation that those units are individual heroes each one with its own name, class, preferences, abilities and etc. Indeed, this is a pretty cool idea and there are 13 different heroes classes from necromancers to wizards, rangers, thiefs and etc.

I had fun with this idea and enjoyed messing around with the heroes but my main problem wasnt with the idea but how it was implemented, first, Majesty has the traditional campaign format of missions on a linear order, so, on a typical Majesty 2 mission, you are attacked by enemies on the very first second you start a mission, many times before even placing your basic buildings, I actually enjoy this pressure as it makes for a very challenging game that is what I like, the problem is, remember those 13 different heroes?

Well, those enemies that attack you are constantly produced by dwellings that as the mission evolves produce tougher and tougher versions of those enemies, so, on the beginning of a mission, you are really encouraged to destroy those dwellings as fast as possible and that is good BUT, after this initial pressure phase, most missions change into a boring and long mopping up phase because as you cant control your heroes directly, the traditional RTS gameplay of assaulting the enemy base, dealing with an organized oposition is practically non existant. So, heroes that you can produce earlier like rogues(that can stun) have much more value than heroes that you can only produce later, also, many of those heroes can only be recruited on special shrines guarded by powerful elementals and cost a fortune both to summon and ressurect, so, on practice, they can only be summoned by the time the mission was already decided on that starting phase, by the time they come online, you have defense towers everywhere and ALOT of high level heroes of the basic 4 hero classes.

You can carry heroes from mission to mission as they gain experience but they cost a fortune to summon on a mission and you wont have the luxury to pay for their summoning until the mission is practically decided anyway. One way to fix this was just having events that change the mission mid way through like new enemies, opening portals, a new challenge or make the late heroes easier to recruit, something that changes the status quo but, on most missions (with exception of a few rare difficulty spike missions), there is alot of pressure until you get your base running, after that, it is just boring mopping up. It is obvious that while this idea of indirect control is nice, the designers had all sorts of problems on how to deal with the consequences of that design choice so while I had alot of fun with Majesty 2, this flaw really limits the game. Still, I had fun with the game, so, if you enjoy RTS games, the GoG version has all DLC and the unofficial expansion, a ton of content if you have patience to deal with the flaws of the game as most missions end being a bit repetitive because of what I explained.
Spellforce 1 , as I said, this is an odd game, odd because it is a RPG, yes, with side quests, dialog, talking with NPCs, buying equipment, spending experience points, recieving reward for quests, the maps are huge and reward exploration AND... it is also a RTS... man, it is as clear as the day that the developers really wanted to make a RPG because the RTS part sucks so hard, nope, this isnt StarCraft, this isnt Warcraft 3, I would say that Warcraft 2 is better than this at being a RTS. The RTS part is as barebones as it can get and feel more like a formality than something enjoyable, the pathfinding is very basic, units have difficulty moving when there are alot of them on a chokepoint, the interface is also questionable and very clunky.

Still, there is something about exploring the maps and summoning heroes to help you out on side quests, sure, the voice acting is awful and the faces of the characters dont move but I like the idea of exploring the map with your troops, the main problem of this game is that as I said, hybrid games shouldnt be measured by the quality of an individual part but by the whole experience and it is nice going from RTS to RPG gameplay as this allows for a bigger variety in gameplay BUT, the problem of Spellforce 1, dunno about the sequels, is that RTS and RPG gameplay are barely integrated, they are more like two shallow games that you play in turns.

So, when you are playing the RTS, you are playing a barebones RTS and the only relevant RPG element is the spells and abilities your heroes use and when you are playing like a RPG, it is a pretty basic real time RPG, Dungeon Siege style RPG. The story and dialog is the usual generic fantasy nonsense, so generic that I already forgot what I did on the last map I played two days ago. I'm having fun with it but again, the parts of the game, the RTS and RPG dont comunicate well, it is kind of a simplistic RPG for you to beat stuff and get loot like Dungeon Siege was with some shitty RTS elements that are only really good enough to break the monotony so I'm having fun on that sense but dont expect much more than that.

Gamezor

Learned
I got tired of axiom verge after getting stuck for the second time about 1/3 of the way through. I could just look it up, but if I look it up again it will kill all the magic. I like the weird ass setting and game play generally. I like the little remote controlled drone that you get. It's possible I'll try it again someday, but I doubt it. Just too many other games out there. Started MGS V--first impression is that it's MAJESTIC If you start playing this, understand you have to sit through the first 30 minutes or so, but the actual gameplay after the intro is this emergent stealth open world esque awesomeness. The game seems gigantic also, with all of the different challenges and side goals for the missions. I can see myself playing this for a long time, and I don't even really like stealth games. I'm playing on PS4 Pro. Also started radiant historia: perfect chronology after hacking my 3ds. Side note--I discovered it's really easy to hack 3ds and Vita and then download all the games you want onto a nice big memory card. I thought it was going to be a lot more complicated than it was. I like Radiant Historia so far, hard difficulty seems to be pretty well balanced 4 or 5 hours into it. LIke most JRPGs, it's better in small doses.

I'll put more about that and 13 sentinels in the JRPG thread.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom