Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Europa Universalis IV

Joggerino

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Don't tell me it's Johan again?? What a disaster
You can make the same argument for every PDX game because they have a goddamn monopoly on GSG. Doesn't mean their games are of high quality.
They only have a monopoly on their pdx type GSG. There's still matrix games with their overpriced offerings.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Shit DLC launch is shit, but g*mers are very good at sending torrents of abuse to the random devs who don't have control over when things are released instead of the suits that set these ludicrous deadlines to begin with.

I mean Johan is the lead designer behind all this shit, isn't he? And he's the main owner of the company. The majority of shit gameplay decisions come from him iirc.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Remember when Johann was all depressed after some earlier big fuckup by PDX and subsequent pushback from the community and he said "I don't know if I should be doing this still."?

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Shit DLC launch is shit, but g*mers are very good at sending torrents of abuse to the random devs who don't have control over when things are released instead of the suits that set these ludicrous deadlines to begin with.

I mean Johan is the lead designer behind all this shit, isn't he? And he's the main owner of the company. The majority of shit gameplay decisions come from him iirc.
Ahh not from what i know. He was one of the founders but not an owner. The same way timcuck is a founder of vice. One of the original hires for that company. The original janitor is also a founder of that company. He could own some stocks but he is not an actual owner.

Yeah,he is one of the most incompetent faggots in the company,he and his gay lover wiz. He was/is the lead on stellaris,no wonder it is such a fucked up game. He is the main reason why the company is going downhill. He was one of the coders that made EU in to pc game,and he not good at it,you could see it by checking the code of the original game. He is even worst as team/project lead,too much faggotry,always gets butthurt when someone mocks his incompetence.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Remember when Johann was all depressed after some earlier big fuckup by PDX and subsequent pushback from the community and he said "I don't know if I should be doing this still."?
I think that was after imperator? He should retire asap.
Yeah,he is an old faggot the couldn't keep up with the modern programming and doesn't have the skills to be a lead. He should have retired with some dignity a decade ago.

trais

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy

Asap is too late already. Problems with this DLC doesn't just come from questionable design decisions - it's shit all around and in every aspect. Which means Pdx now is probably full of useless diversity hires with no or very few competent people left working there.
Top manager resigning won't change a thing, it's the whole company needs to be restructured and/or rebuild.

Preben

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine

Asap is too late already. Problems with this DLC doesn't just come from questionable design decisions - it's shit all around and in every aspect. Which means Pdx now is probably full of useless diversity hires with no or very few competent people left working there.
Top manager resigning won't change a thing, it's the whole company needs to be restructured and/or rebuild.

No, it just Johan and his ego. Unfortunately he's untouchable. He's that kind of visionary who got the ball rolling but who later became an obstacle.

The company has lots of talented people. Plenty of projects that were Johan's fuck ups have actually improved after he run away left them. Imperator and Stellaris being ones. Too bad there are some core design issues that cannot be solved without games being rewritten entirely, which will sadly never happen.

And Johan never touched CK2 and CK3. It's therefore no surprise that the former is one of Paradox' best games and the latter still has the potential for the same.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

No, it just Johan and his ego.

The company has lots of talented people. Plenty of projects that were Johan's fuck ups have actually improved after he run away left them. Imperator and Stellaris being ones. Too bad there are some core design issues that cannot be solved without games being rewritten entirely, which wll never happen.

And Johan never touched CK2 and CK3. It's therefore no surprise that the former is one of Paradox' best games and the latter still has the potential for the same.
Ahhh most talented people left,driven away by this faggot and his gay group. A good example is DDRjake.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Ahhh most talented people left,driven away by this faggot and his gay group. A good example is DDRjake.

And good riddance. DDRjake was "lol, let's conquer the world by some obscure tribe by abusing bankruptcy mechanic" type of guy.
LoL you are retard,he was the only creative guy on the fucking team and ended up adding the best parts of the game. Obviously you know only about DDRjake playing the three mountains achievement shit,the dude was all about roleplaying and adding flavour and making countries unique. Made every nation unique and came up with the new mission tree. He was not some amazing genius lol,but compared to the other devs he was a good dev. Now you enjoy your click a button and get your 10% discipline lol. The best part of the game is flavour and larping as a country,not muh getting 10% bonus to some stat lol. If you are in to that shit,go watch that authist florryworry,he is to doing the same shit ad nauseam.

Higher Game

Arcane
that will also cause kicks to my teeth. in the beginning my economy can't sustain forts, thus no burned land strategy. it can barely pay for troops, which are nowhere near enough to withstand a single attack, and even if they don't onepunch me, they go for the carpet bombing which is even worse. the only available ally is uzbeks, as useful as an asshole on an elbow. korea is as tiny as me, japan seems to be almost hardcoded to hate me and besides it's as much as dead meat.
either there's a very specific sequence and concomitance of events or i just can't see a way to win against ming in medieval times without abusing every possible exploit.

Are you razing as aggressively as you should? Think about it.

You can have all the forts you want if you time your bankruptcy abuse just right. You have no serious rivals except Ming and the AI won't break a truce to hurt you in bankruptcy. You don't need the early mana because you can raze. This means you can load up on military ideas early instead of administrative or influence. Quantity and either religious or humanist both work awesomely as opening horde ideas. The new horde government idea group is also good of course.

trais

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
No, it just Johan and his ego. Unfortunately he's untouchable. He's that kind of visionary who got the ball rolling but who later became an obstacle.
The amount of bugs and the stupid way many features were implemented shows that not only designers dropped the ball, but programmers and QA as well. Nobody did their job right with Leviathan.

The company has lots of talented people. Plenty of projects that were Johan's fuck ups have actually improved after he run away left them. Imperator and Stellaris being ones. Too bad there are some core design issues that cannot be solved without games being rewritten entirely, which will sadly never happen.
Never played Imperator, but Stellaris was garbage at lunch, then ton of features was remade, many cut entirely, some added... and the game is garbage still. If that's the example of Pdx's "improvement", then it only further proves my point, lol.

For all of Johan's bad ideas, you'd at least think he'd have the production side of things going well and be able to put out decently well-tested updates. Imperator may have been bad as a game but it was possibly the most solid Paradox release in terms of stability, performance, and everything functioning as intended. The new EU4 update seems to signal to me that he's just completely given up.

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Last edited:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I am playing this and it is fucking great lol
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1385440355

The amount of fun nations to play and content is very impressive,would recommend it for people that are tired of vanilla.

Any interesting religion or culture mechanics?

I want EU5 to have Imperator/Victoria-style pops.

Didn't exactly age well with IR being shelved...

Hmmm religion is pretty meh at the moment,culture mechanics are pretty cool. For example the moon elfs whole campaign is about going back to their continent that exploded,colonize the shit out of it and exterminate all other races in way that will make hitle blush. It is pretty fun mod,better than the game for sure,but still has problem. Obviously it is EU4 mod,thus it is limited to the EU4 mechanics.

Yeah Vicy does have good pop mechanics,i do want something complex like that yet streamlined. I dislike imperator's mechanics,feel like a mobile game.

That said is there any decent imperator or ck3 mods ? Anything like warhammer mod for ck2 ?

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
I dislike imperator's mechanics,feel like a mobile game.

That said is there any decent imperator or ck3 mods ? Anything like warhammer mod for ck2 ?

When was the last time you tried IR? I think the pops system is in a far better place than it was at launch.

As far as mods go, the aforementioned bronze age mod was the best thing for it. CK3 marketers recruited the dev away from working on IR, but someone has finally forked the IR version and is trying to work on it. Honestly, I'm not sure I'm optimistic about it... at the very least their english abilities are lacking enough to be super distracting for me, but perhaps that'll sort itself out if it takes off again.

There's a LotR mod for CK3 that might be interesting, but I haven't tried it.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I dislike imperator's mechanics,feel like a mobile game.

When was the last time you tried IR? I think the pops system is in a far better place than it was at launch.

As far as mods go, the aforementioned bronze age mod was the best thing for it. CK3 marketers recruited the dev away from working on IR, but someone has finally forked the IR version and is trying to work on it. Honestly, I'm not sure I'm optimistic about it... at the very least their english abilities are lacking enough to be super distracting for me, but perhaps that'll sort itself out if it takes off again.

There's a LotR mod for CK3 that might be interesting, but I haven't tried it.
Sounds like there are too many games and mods get spilled around them and in the end they end up with having nothing of interest. It doesn't help that their games are bare bones and get boring fast. What paracux need is devs with a vision and some basic lead skills. You could find decent coders all around. I am pretty sure that i could make a better game with that money and i know nothing about coding. The trick is to know when to go pub raiding with your team and when to whip their ass in to submission.

Silva

Arcane
As someone who never saw the appeal of fantasy map painters like EU, and always preferred focused historic experiences like Vicky, CK, HoI, etc (and now Imperator), I'm worried by the prospects of only stuff like EU4 and DLCs being lucrative and worth of continuous development.

This says to me they are not making games out of passion anymore, like they did in the past no matter how niche the premise, and so the chances of really interesting games coming out like Vicky3 or a full blown CK3-like Sengoku 2, is very remote.

I bet their next game is another silly fantasy map painter. Perhaps even a literal fantasy this time, like LotR or some shit.

Silva

Arcane
Your point is...?

The games I cited offer something else aside from map painting, except HoI which is about that (and makes it actually interesting with a myriad tactical decisions).

EU4 should be about a number of things... but only offers map painting.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom