Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Inferno: Beyond the 7th Circle hardcores a Release

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: 68k Studios; Inferno: Beyond the 7th Circle

Inferno: Beyond the 7th Circle is now out on GOG and Steam for those of you looking for a new blobber to blob around in. It features the traditional grid based movement, turn based combat, and many of the other things you might expect from an old school blobber. It's currently on sale on both platforms for the same price, so it's down to personal choice there. Here's some media:

Inferno - Beyond The 7th Circle is an old-school Dungeon Crawler with survival elements. It's made for hardcore gamers and fans of 80s and 90s cRPG.

It's the spiritual successor of The 7th Circle. Unlike its predecessor, Inferno - Beyond The 7th Circle has a more "classic" approach to the Dungeon Crawler genre: you can now save and load the game when you want and if you die you can just reload your last saved game. Also, there are plenty of new contents: more items, more skills, more spells, more tasks, quests and lot of resources to find.​

Alright! A game that shows its character system off. Bring on that trend!

Last edited by a moderator:

fork

Great art style (except ui elements) and atmosphere, as far as one can tell from that short trailer.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
This actually looks pretty cool, like a decent attempt at trying something new with blobbers.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Anyone played the first one? The description of the 2nd one says 'you can now save anywhere', which suggests some restrictions...

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Anyone played the first one? The description of the 2nd one says 'you can now save anywhere', which suggests some restrictions...

I bought and played the first one for 8 hours but really can't remember too much about it apart from all the bloody loading screens before and after every fight. I recall thinking it made a decent first impression but then got very samey and dull after a few hours and I stopped enjoying it.

Seems to have a decent amount of positive reviews on Steam but I'd just give it a 'meh' rating.

flabbyjack

Arcane
The game is great if you are into grimdark. There's a demo on Steam so you can try before you buy.

The flashing screen during critical hits or when defeating an enemy in adrenaline mode are pretty hard on my eyes, I'll see if I can get word to the dev to dial it down a little.

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Sadly, I find the "grimdarkness" and the horror setting quite offputting. It seems quite a big step down from the excellent visuals of Grimrock. It's a pity because I really "want" to like it, as judging by the name of their studio (68k Studios) and their logo, the devs appear to be oldschool Amiga refugees... but I just can't get excited about this. According to that video review, it's quite "meh".

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Sadly, I find the "grimdarkness" and the horror setting quite offputting. It seems quite a big step down from the excellent visuals of Grimrock. It's a pity because I really "want" to like it, as judging by the name of their studio (68k Studios) and their logo, the devs appear to be oldschool Amiga refugees... but I just can't get excited about this. According to that video review, it's quite "meh".

hi Rince. Just some friendly advice here (take it or leave it :)), if u really want to like it, just look past the horror aspect and focus on the good stuff. It seems like a very deep, rich and rewarding old-school style crawler. Ignore the graphics as much as possible and just focus on the systems, the exploration, the things to see and do. That will help u enjoy it if u really want to. Take care, friend. <3

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

hi Rince. Just some friendly advice here (take it or leave it :)), if u really want to like it, just look past the horror aspect and focus on the good stuff. It seems like a very deep, rich and rewarding old-school style crawler. Ignore the graphics as much as possible and just focus on the systems, the exploration, the things to see and do. That will help u enjoy it if u really want to. Take care, friend. <3

Cheers, might consider it then when I run out of blobbers to play.

Darkozric

Arbiter
Edgy

The horror setting is the only element that holds this game and making it quite unique... I don't get why is "offputting" by your logic.
As for the graphics, this is like saying Grimoire is a bad game because is a big step down from the excellent visuals of Grimrock. We don't play blobbers here for the "excellent" graphics.
Are you some kind of retarded RPGwatch refugee?

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Cheers, might consider it then when I run out of blobbers to play.

sounds good! :) As for me, I was sorta in the same position. I'm not a big horror or horrordark fan really, but the game just had tons of features that I really dig so I bought it day one. All the RPG stuff I'm there for, the horror, ehh, not so much. But it looks good enough in the systems department to look past that. Hope when u do play it u enjoy!

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
The horror setting is the only element that holds this game and making it quite unique... I don't get why is "offputting" by your logic.

Nothing to do with logic. I just don't like horror games, simple as that.

As for the graphics, this is like saying Grimoire is a bad game because is a big step down from the excellent visuals of Grimrock. We don't play blobbers here for the "excellent" graphics.

Nope, Grimoire I find charming, I love the visuals. But that's a totally different league (for me), not everthing is gray/blue & red in Grimoire.

Are you some kind of retarded RPGwatch refugee?

Nope.

It's a taste thing, if grimdark horror games are your thing, maybe you'll have a great time. I just said it doesn't have much of an appeal for me. But as Fluent pointed out, might give it a go sometime and try to look past what I don't like.

Darkozric

Arbiter
Edgy
No you didn't say it doesn't have much appeal for you. You've said "It seems quite a big step down from the excellent visuals of Grimrock". You are a graphic whore.

Last edited:

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I want full blobber like the dungeon master style but in line vector art (i guess that's what it called).
Dungeons_of_Magdarr.png

78244-questron-apple-ii-screenshot-these-dungeons-don-t-have-much.png

Dungeons%20of%20Daggorath%20(Tandy%20Color%20Computer).jpg

questrongot.PNG

questronironkey.PNG

32-ultima_3_65_whipper.png

Ultima%2BI%2Bscreenshot%2Bdungeon.jpg

oh yeah baby. But party-based. Squeak squeak motha-fucka!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom