Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Josh Sawyer reflects on his failures with Pillars of Eternity

Codex Year of the Donut
dumpsterfire failed because it's not interesting enough to entice people to buy it, majority of potential buyers don't give a shit about the rules system or whether the combat is as awful as it was in IE games

the mole

Learned
Shitposter
dumpsterfire failed because it's not interesting enough to entice people to buy it, majority of potential buyers don't give a shit about the rules system or whether the combat is as awful as it was in IE games
it wasn't shilled as hard as dos2, even though dos2 is a broken piece of shit, that's the main reason I'd say

Funposter

Arcane
DOS2 has cool environmental/magic interactions and co-op.
yea but everything else is shit
I'd rather a game did a couple of things well than just being below-average slop the entire way through. That being said, DOS2 is mechanically inferior to the first game so it's really only fun if you want to be able to play as a Lizard or whatever. I also liked the environments more for what its worth. It works well on a first playthrough on Normal (or Easy/Journo) difficulty and is miserable to replay on a higher difficulty where the flaws of the game really start to become apparent.

Takamori

Learned
I'm gonna get murdered for this opinion but even with Armor Pen flaws and the game balance, I found a great joy engaging in combat. What really turned me down on PoE2 was the story, if the game was pure combat and dungeon delving without much concern on what the fuck was going on outside I think I would have enjoyed much more. Just seeking loot and try breaking the balance man game.

But the story is the big focus so I can't simply ignore, if felt like a really shitty wild goose chase with Eothas where they took a huge shit on player agency. Its either ok mah green huge dood, do your thing lmao fuck everything up or fuck you I will get killed and won't even build a *cough* godhammer to fuck you up, even if I knew people who built damn the thing.

Yosharian

Arcane
I'd rather a game did a couple of things well than just being below-average slop the entire way through. That being said, DOS2 is mechanically inferior to the first game so it's really only fun if you want to be able to play as a Lizard or whatever. I also liked the environments more for what its worth. It works well on a first playthrough on Normal (or Easy/Journo) difficulty and is miserable to replay on a higher difficulty where the flaws of the game really start to become apparent.
Hmmm. So that's what I've been doing wrong.

Funposter

Arcane
Hmmm. So that's what I've been doing wrong.
Play a Wizard on normal difficulty and turn your brain off while enjoying the way all of the magical elements can interact with each other before it all just turns into a Necrofire clusterfuck. Maybe stack Fire resist. If you play a Lizard you can easily get enough Fire resist so that it heals you by endgame!

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
it wasn't shilled as hard as dos2, even though dos2 is a broken piece of shit, that's the main reason I'd say

That's the major reason people liked Dos2.

Gargaune

Magister
I'm gonna get murdered for this opinion but even with Armor Pen flaws and the game balance, I found a great joy engaging in combat. What really turned me down on PoE2 was the story, if the game was pure combat and dungeon delving without much concern on what the fuck was going on outside I think I would have enjoyed much more. Just seeking loot and try breaking the balance man game.

But the story is the big focus so I can't simply ignore, if felt like a really shitty wild goose chase with Eothas where they took a huge shit on player agency. Its either ok mah green huge dood, do your thing lmao fuck everything up or fuck you I will get killed and won't even build a *cough* godhammer to fuck you up, even if I knew people who built damn the thing.
Abso-fucking-lutely, yes. I actually had a fair bit of fun sailing around and exploring, but the main quest is probably the worst narrative design since Dragon Age 2 and it soured the whole experience in retrospect. You can build an RPG plot around failure as a theme, but not futility, and it's amazing how Sawyer refuses to accept that feedback. Then again, this is the same bloke who held a long (and very interesting!) GDC .ppt about how players relate better to +X increments rather than PoE's percentage upgrades, then carried on with the exact same thing in Deadfire.

Orud

Scholar
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
I got an even dumber reason as to why I couldn't be bothered that much with Pillars 2.

Now, I liked Pillars 1. I didn't think it was the best thing ever, but I liked it enough to be interested in more. One tiny thing that definitely irked me however, was that it was a setting about to lead into a renaissance era rather than a medieval fantasy setting. I didn't mind it as much, but at the end of the day boring old 'swords and sorcery' is my jam and 'muskets, rapiers and magic' aren't.

When I saw the marketing for Pillars 2 it felt like they went full out renaissance colonialism, with a whiff of piracy sprinkled on top, I and couldn't be bothered any less with it. I immediately decided to buy it at a later point, and did, but not at launch. In comparison, I bought Kingsmaker and Pillars 1 instantly. Kingsmaker and Pillars 1 felt like they'd offer me something similar to Baldur's Gate, while PoE 2 wouldn't.

I know of others that didn't, and still haven't, bothered with it for that same reason. While I do enjoy non-medieval RPG's, it's certainly something that determines if it's an instant buy or not, and how fast I'll pick it up to play it.

Last edited:

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
If the IE games were an attempt to translate PnP into an RTS-like game, PoE/Deadfire is an attempt to translate that translation into what Josh perceived as "modern sensibilities" while maintaining the outward guise of "old-school CRPG". It's kickstarter backers' money being used to fund a casual game that on the surface resembles old school CRPGs, but with all their "faults" "fixed" by the unerring and infalliable master of systems design Josh Sawyer.

To give him credit, he didn't do bad with the system design at all.

There is even a way to configure Deadfire difficulty so that its combat is challenging, and I don't mean by intentionally gimping your characters.

I'm playing it again now, this time in TB mode, and TB mode while being an overall better experience, really emphasizes how there are actions which the player can perform to give himself an advantage with no cost attached to those actions, if the player doesn't mind the repetitiveness.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom