Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Europa Universalis IV

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Sounds like there are too many games and mods get spilled around them and in the end they end up with having nothing of interest. It doesn't help that their games are bare bones and get boring fast. What paracux need is devs with a vision and some basic lead skills. You could find decent coders all around.

Sadly, Arheo was exactly that kind of project lead.

I am pretty sure that i could make a better game with that money and i know nothing about coding. The trick is to know when to go pub raiding with your team and when to whip their ass in to submission.

A lot of people think they'd make great game designers, but lack any relevant practical skills. It's a bit of a meme to be honest, "the ideas guy". I hope the last bit's a joke...

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Your point is...?

The games I cited offer something else aside from map painting, except HoI which is about that (and makes it actually interesting with a myriad tactical decisions).

EU4 should be about a number of things... but only offers map painting.
All of them are about fantasy painting map with a twist,ck 2 have sims as a side game,hoi has nazies and imperator is like a fucking mobile game. You just dislike one of those game,and delude yourself that the rest are different lol.

Sadly, Arheo was exactly that kind of project lead.
Who was he,what did he made? I have vague memories of him,but don't remember anything specific.

A lot of people think they'd make great game designers, but lack any relevant practical skills. It's a bit of a meme to be honest, "the ideas guy". I hope the last bit's a joke...
LoL,i do know that i could make game,don't do that think part. And no i will not be a good developer,i will be good project/team lead. That job is not about knowing coding or some such shit. I do know how to gauge people,manipulate and use them to their best ability. I am confident in me abilities. And yeah the last part is not a joke,when you go pub raiding people relax and show their true colours. Also it shows you if they are good team player that will get with the flow or some faggot that will create only problems.

There is no an "idea guy",but there is a leader that sets the focus,gathers ideas from his subordinates and makes the decisions. There is plenty of projects that had failed because they lacked strong lead and could make decisions fast enough. But you do need a bunch of creative low effort guys that bounce ideas around even if they don't pull their weight when it comes to work. As i said,there is plenty of coders,but not enough creatives. And no,i am not talking about purple haired creatures that got shit out from some artsy university,that shit i won't touch even with keyboard.

Preben

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
I've just realized that the Paradox Tinto studio which spewed out Leviathan is headed by Johan himself. This is hilarious. He got his own personal studio for maximum efficiency in fucking up games.

Silva

Arcane
All of them are about fantasy painting map with a twist,ck 2 have sims as a side game,hoi has nazies and imperator is like a fucking mobile game. You just dislike one of those game,and delude yourself that the rest are different lol.
Your anal obsession for map painting apparently clouds you judgement. Vicky, CK, Imperator, etc. all have interesting peacetime where you can ignore map-painting altogether and still have a fun time.

But EU4 has absolutely nothing besides MP, - it's an empty shell of a game where you click and wait 50 years looking at the screen waiting for some absteact number (like Development) to increase.

Maybe this is the PARADOX in the company title? Selling itself as a dev of historic simulations but having its main products (EU2/3/4) being fantasy clown-world map-painters for retardos like you to consume. :smug:

Narax

Educated
This is the new strategy game devs use to blame everyone but themselves for their shitty releases. They accuse players of being toxic, homophobic, misogynistic, etc, and rally twitter's woke brigade (who probably didn't even play the games) to cancel the fans. This is what Neil Cuckmann and bioware did during the releases of the last of us 2 and andromeda, respectively. We will most likely see more and more similar cases in the future.

Mortmal

Arcane

I feel really good about pirating all their games right now. Around the time of EU3 I was like "Man, these guys deserve my money. They make games nobody else makes!"
Sic transit gloria Paradox.
Oh go on, pirate, i bought everything at release at outrageous prices, in fact i can consider i paid for several guys. How was i rewarded as loyal customer ? Mediocre releases to unplayable ones now and a 3 day ban cause of some mod going in full authority crisis. Now they are lamenting about their toxic fan base...Hundreds of euros spent, thats how toxic we are.

thesecret1

Arcane
Oh go on, pirate, i bought everything at release at outrageous prices, in fact i can consider i paid for several guys. How was i rewarded as loyal customer ? Mediocre releases to unplayable ones now and a 3 day ban cause of some mod going in full authority crisis. Now they are lamenting about their toxic fan base...Hundreds of euros spent, thats how toxic we are.
Dude, this has been the way with Paradox for almost a decade now, how are you only figuring all this shit out now?

Mortmal

Arcane
Dude, this has been the way with Paradox for almost a decade now, how are you only figuring all this shit out now?
Nah it was overpriced but decent enough before. Now its overpriced and complete shit.

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
LoL,i do know that i could make game,don't do that think part. And no i will not be a good developer,i will be good project/team lead. That job is not about knowing coding or some such shit. I do know how to gauge people,manipulate and use them to their best ability. I am confident in me abilities. And yeah the last part is not a joke,when you go pub raiding people relax and show their true colours. Also it shows you if they are good team player that will get with the flow or some faggot that will create only problems.

There is no an "idea guy",but there is a leader that sets the focus,gathers ideas from his subordinates and makes the decisions. There is plenty of projects that had failed because they lacked strong lead and could make decisions fast enough. But you do need a bunch of creative low effort guys that bounce ideas around even if they don't pull their weight when it comes to work. As i said,there is plenty of coders,but not enough creatives. And no,i am not talking about purple haired creatures that got shit out from some artsy university,that shit i won't touch even with keyboard.

not really, dude. Paradox’s problem is they can’t find enough ordinary developers. Good programmers are not the same things as randoms with basic coding abilities.

Furthermore, the reason games suck so often these days is exactly that issue of introducing people who are solely ‘managers’, especially via the marketing/HR/corporate world, with zero experience of actually making games. If you want to get into gamedev, go for it, but no one is going to give you the time of day if you don’t have some other skill set to bring to the table first. Not saying this to be harsh, there’s just a million people who think the exact same as you do.

tl;dr, you need to be able to demonstrate that you understand the problems inherent in large scale project coordination, particularly those that arise during gamedev, and that your opinions on those decisions are worth a damn in the first place.

Who was he,what did he made? I have vague memories of him,but don't remember anything specific.

He was the guy that got tasked with trying to turn IR around after the mess it was in post-Johan. Genuinely committed to building dynamic systems based on the source material rather than click-based mechanics aimed at mindless multiplayer.

Imo, he did a great job, but marketing refused to put even a fragment of the energy they put into other titles into the Marius patch launch.

Last edited:

I feel really good about pirating all their games right now. Around the time of EU3 I was like "Man, these guys deserve my money. They make games nobody else makes!"
Sic transit gloria Paradox.
piracy saved my playthroughs. despite owning the game, when i feel like playing i download the latest, most stable build (which often pirates pick and push, because somehow they still care about quality) and stick to it. i've been immune from this latest shitshow.

mondblut

Arcane
Vicky, CK, Imperator, etc. all have interesting peacetime where you can ignore map-painting altogether

For about fifteen minutes.

CK is actually fun in peacetime.

For about fifteen minutes.

You can only "give her a good tumble" so many times before it becomes indistinguishable from penis enlargement spam. And who needs plotting when you can holywar the fuck out of everybody?

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
Your anal obsession for map painting apparently clouds you judgement. Vicky, CK, Imperator, etc. all have interesting peacetime where you can ignore map-painting altogether and still have a fun time.

But EU4 has absolutely nothing besides MP, - it's an empty shell of a game where you click and wait 50 years looking at the screen waiting for some absteact number (like Development) to increase.

Maybe this is the PARADOX in the company title? Selling itself as a dev of historic simulations but having its main products (EU2/3/4) being fantasy clown-world map-painters for retardos like you to consume. :smug:

Imagine thinking CK2-3 has good peacetime gameplay. Every single non-combat system in the game is anemic compared to stabby. Even after you account for CK3 having Secrets the D/I/P[diplomacy,intrigue,politics] gameplay is lame and shallow.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
https://forum.quartertothree.com/t/paradox-plaza-official-forum-can-be-unpleasant-for-devs/152010/15

Game reviewer Tom Chick says Johan personally told him fuck you no more review copies because he hurt their aggregate review score with his Stellaris review. Are we shocked? We are not shocked. Johan is huge decline.
Those kinds of public statements should be "front page" news in the gaming press but they will never do it because it validates what GG has been saying all along, that publishers and developers will do all they can do pressure reviewers.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I've just realized that the Paradox Tinto studio which spewed out Leviathan is headed by Johan himself. This is hilarious. He got his own personal studio for maximum efficiency in fucking up games.

Is he in Paradox for life or something? They can't get rid of him?

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
This is the new strategy game devs use to blame everyone but themselves for their shitty releases. They accuse players of being toxic, homophobic, misogynistic, etc, and rally twitter's woke brigade (who probably didn't even play the games) to cancel the fans. This is what Neil Cuckmann and bioware did during the releases of the last of us 2 and andromeda, respectively. We will most likely see more and more similar cases in the future.

Also Beamdog.

Preben

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
That said, anyone who actually denies that devs pressurise journos these days must have been living in a cave.

I don't think that anyone reasonable denies that. Nor that anyone reasonable can deny that this is the result of dependence on ads.

Back in elder days, people actually paid for their gaming news. This ensured that the outlets had financial independence to resist the pressure from publishers. Now people want free stuff and they are somehow still surprised that this has consequences.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom