Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CD Projekt's Cyberpunk 2077 Update 2.0 + Phantom Liberty Expansion Thread

Zer0wing

Cipher
No, that's the Codex Consensus, but Joe McCasual doesn't give a shit about progression systems or level design, he's just pissed off that he can't play taxi driver and that his decade-old PlebStation vomits the disc out. If it weren't for the performance-related problems, the general public would be jerking GOTY awards all over Cyberpunk.
PlebStation4 also vomits RDR2 and Fail4 while not being as visually dense but everyone tries to shrug this under the rug off now when Cyberpunk 2077 exists. Gameplay in CP2077 is so barebones and unpolished even the ordinary gamers are noticing it. Bugs actually helped to silence the outrage about gameplay. And those performance related issues are not going to go away because software engineers responsible for Red Engine 4 quit and the only staff these poles currently have are script kiddies messing with config files on consoles.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Guise, I hate Marcin and wish that a horse buttfucks him and other CDPR executives for: a) selling out to the "sophisticated beautiful people" soyboys of the west and b) for fraud and misleading marketing. However, I dont buy this idea of normies waking up to shit gameplay, Red Dead Redemption and GTA are much worse games than Cyberbug, Cyberbug feels like a real game in comparison to the overrated garbage that Rockstar produces and despite having much worse gameplay than Cyberbug, they still sell millions and millions of copies.

Just look to the reviews, most reviewers were pissed not because the combat was completely unbalanced and lacking polish, the perk system had completely broken with perks that didnt work and were boring as fuck, the loot and craft system looked unfinished, the hacking system was barebones, there was very little progression on the side jobs difficulty, the level design was unimaginative and boring, there was low variety on enemy types and etc... nope, their number one complain outside the bugs and cut content was that there weren't mini games and romances were shit, they dont wanna good gameplay, they wanna Arasaka Pachinko machines and invite Panam to bowling.

Justicar

Dead game
Glory to Ukraine
wever, I dont buy this idea of normies waking up to shit gameplay, Red Dead Redemption and GTA are much worse games than Cyberbug, Cyberbug feels like a real game in comparison to the overrated garbage that Rockstar produces and despite having much worse gameplay than Cyberbug, they still sell millions and millions of copies.
Be aware, that respawn involved doing 10+ minutes of the same slow ride including the “mini-game” where you fix a wheel of your cart.

yi89fpxnmo741.jpg

jej6w74dv1j51.jpg

ldyl9k7d1eb21.jpg

Paul_cz

Arcane
Be aware, that respawn involved doing 10+ minutes of the same slow ride including the “mini-game” where you fix a wheel of your cart.
I love RDR2 for many reasons, but it is undeniable that its reliance on fail states and extremely tight scripting in its missions is complete garbage, yes.

typical user

Arbiter
RDR2 is kinda weird, they've added shitton of stuff like animals, fishing, crafting, journal but didn't bother to make missions idiot-proof or branching out if player does something unexpected.

Hellraiser

Arcane
wever, I dont buy this idea of normies waking up to shit gameplay, Red Dead Redemption and GTA are much worse games than Cyberbug, Cyberbug feels like a real game in comparison to the overrated garbage that Rockstar produces and despite having much worse gameplay than Cyberbug, they still sell millions and millions of copies.

yi89fpxnmo741.jpg

jej6w74dv1j51.jpg

ldyl9k7d1eb21.jpg

Seriously fuck the RDR2 mission design, fuck the immersion bullshit needlessly long animation wankery and fuck the story. They should have done San Andreas at the twilight of the XIXth century, instead they did some pretentious AAA circlejerk where the only likable thing was the hunting in the wilderness and the sandbox existed only to show eye-candy. I bet if current day Rockstar did a game about pirates, it would end up being some lame ass blowjob for drama writing majors or whatever writer-rejects study, torturing you with endless cut-scenes about how you let a boy drown or something during a raid.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I love RDR2 for many reasons, but it is undeniable that its reliance on fail states and extremely tight scripting in its missions is complete garbage, yes.

AND the fact there are truckloads of mechanics and side activities of which NONE has any bearing on the main game whatsoever. Every single mechanics in the game is utterly cosmetic. Except shooting. You do need that.

DeepOcean

Arcane
What is really ironic is that those Rockstar trash games are all about "immersiun" but if you turn your horse 10 degrees more than they want, you get a nice mission over screen and somehow, millions of people tolerate that shit and think that is immersiun for 20 years.

typical user

Arbiter
What is really ironic is that those Rockstar trash games are all about "immersiun" but if you turn your horse 10 degrees more than they want, you get a nice mission over screen and somehow, millions of people tolerate that shit and think that is immersiun for 20 years.

They don't. Everyone is complaining about it but the game is still fire nonetheless.

CP2077 mission design is on the other hand rather bland. Like Ubi games where it doesn't really matter how you approach enemies. Somewhere along the development they've forgot RPGs can't be accessible and some options have to blocked, otherwise your skills, stats lose their value. Also CDPR level design in CP2077 is very basic from gameplay standpoint. Most of the locations only have one room acting as arena, all the optional entrances very often are placed next to each other and you are still exploring the same set of rooms. Not like there is a vent system, sewers or rooms placed only for stealth characters. Also you don't get any additional quests from overhearing characters talking to each-other, you don't get passwords for optional loot-rooms, there is no reputation system.

Eh, there are people praising CP2077 for the ability to play the game how they want, but this stuff was available in Bethesda games.

Last edited:

Caim

Arcane
By contrast, in the Yakuza series you can put a lot of time into superfluous bullshit, but it does not take away from the core game that is grizzled professional criminals ripping their shirts off to show the elaborate tattoos on their backs, then smashing each other's heads in with bicycles. Plus, Kamurocho is small and you can do laps around it in a matter of minutes. But it's density is much greater than Los Santos, which is way more important in an open world game than the size of the map.

RRRrrr

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I really don't understand why those Ubisoft quests are so popular-I hate those short, non fleshed out short "gigs". S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chernobyl and Clear Sky used to be like this-most side missions were "kill 10 dogs", "clear the mutant lair" etc. In Call of Pripyat, they added side missions that were designed well, and removed all filler content. It was for the better. Yes, the game was shorter because of this-but is it really worth it to have a long game with filler content?

I wish games stopped doing mass pointless filler quests and instead focused on making less, but more fleshed out and memorable quests. And completely dumping the filler.

Wesp5

Arcane
Not like there is a vent system, sewers or rooms placed only for stealth characters.

And that|s good in my opinion because Deus Ex had made this the common stealth cliche which is completely unrealistic from an immersion point of view.

Gargaune

Magister
I wish games stopped doing mass pointless filler quests and instead focused on making less, but more fleshed out and memorable quests. And completely dumping the filler.
I just did the Corpo follow-up quest two days ago...

Was all like "ooh, sweet, I hope this intel leads me to a cool cloak-and-dagger mission so I can finally get revenge on the bitch who got me shitcanned." Fabulously optimistic. Drive to marker, press a button, dude appears and I can either shoot him or talk him down. Two minutes, done and done. They even got Reeves to record lines for this shit, talk about judicious budgeting.

Fuck's sake, CDPR.

RRRrrr

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

Was all like "ooh, sweet, I hope this intel leads me to a cool cloak-and-dagger mission so I can finally get revenge on the bitch who got me shitcanned." Fabulously optimistic. Drive to marker, press a button, dude appears and I can either shoot him or talk him down. Two minutes, done and done. They even got Reeves to record lines for this shit, talk about judicious budgeting.

Fuck's sake, CDPR.

It seems however that retards like this shit. In the case of CDP, I feel like a lot of effort was put into side content as a whole, but that effort is diluted by the sheer amount of quests. They made a large amount of arenas, wrote a lot of shards, even considered as a whole the side quests involve a lot of recorded dialogue...but each quest sucks and is too short. What is the point of having 400 minutes of dialogues in 200 quests when you can do 30-50 good quests with the same amount of resources?

However, after finishing a shitty side gig, the sense of accomplishment is so non-existant that you go to the next, and the next..and lose a lot of time. Maybe that is the point? Some basic psychology of addiction?

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
It would have been better if you could actually decline them, and put them off for later, or if they were available for a limited time. At least if they weren't all showing on the radar with no ability to hide them. The way they are right now, I can't help but start checking them off the map.

Gargaune

Magister
They made a large amount of arenas, wrote a lot of shards, even considered as a whole the side quests involve a lot of recorded dialogue...but each quest sucks and is too short. What is the point of having 400 minutes of dialogues in 200 quests when you can do 30-50 good quests with the same amount of resources?
Yes, this has been one of my running complaints, the pacing is very poor. You've got a very high density of 5-10 minute quests, and many of them are dispensed by remote dictate, as if Preston Garvey got an unlimited mobile plan. When you had similar things in The Witcher 3, they were often mitigated by large traversal distances and cinematic interactions (I keep saying CDPR failed to recognise that their previous design wouldn't work as well here), but even setting those aside, CBP feels like a significant regression in exploration and dispensing quests.

It would have been better if you could actually decline them, and put them off for later, or if they were available for a limited time. At least if they weren't all showing on the radar with no ability to hide them. The way they are right now, I can't help but start checking them off the map.
I have to suspect that was the original plan since there is a prompt to answer calls, but they must've screwed the pooch at some point and decided to swap to "WOULD YOU KINDLY press T to answer."

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Fuck's sake, CDPR.

It seems however that retards like this shit. In the case of CDP, I feel like a lot of effort was put into side content as a whole, but that effort is diluted by the sheer amount of quests. They made a large amount of arenas, wrote a lot of shards, even considered as a whole the side quests involve a lot of recorded dialogue...but each quest sucks and is too short. What is the point of having 400 minutes of dialogues in 200 quests when you can do 30-50 good quests with the same amount of resources?

However, after finishing a shitty side gig, the sense of accomplishment is so non-existant that you go to the next, and the next..and lose a lot of time. Maybe that is the point? Some basic psychology of addiction?

Guess they need to fill out that map somehow.

Caim

Arcane
So I sawt the gameplay trailer for the upcoming Ratchet & Clank game, and the city we see there looks a lot more cyberpunk than Night City does:

(footage starts a minute in)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom